Duke
Cornell
Harvard
Amherst
Williams
Wesleyan
Tufts

Darn close

Me, sorry, going through this, now and the past 4 years,and i think Nescac's are overrated, not to mention way to much $$! My sons laughed at me, understood the academics but also the vibe/culture. Then slapped back that the resources are not even close than some schools like UVA and Michigan. (these big state schools offer way more than the limited scope of the nescac schools)

Would not:
put any Nescac over Michigan or UVA
Babson over Brown (wouldn't even put Babson over many Club schools)
You put Ga tech on the list, with that you need to put Clemson, South Carolina, Texas, Vandy.

You mention SUNY, if the school has what your son wants go for it, at least take a visit. But be warned, the better D2/3 and even club teams these days expect a serious commitment - and these are without some of the benefits the D1s have.

VISIT AS MANY SCHOOLS AS YOU CAN. Dont let anyone tell you otherwise

I am not sure it is fair to compare the BIG 10 or ACC to NESCAC. NESCAC schools are not for everyone but I wouldn't dismiss them outright. You are correct that it is an expensive education but the education is excellent with a faculty to student ratio of approx. 8-1 which means that the kids are really learning and developing the ability to think beyond the next exam. I am not saying this is the case for larger schools but it is more difficult especially as many of the classes, especially in the first couple years can have upwards of 500 students and be taught by a graduate student. The NESCAC alumni network both from the school, in general, and lacrosse is exceptional.

By the way, NESCAC's are very generous with financial aide so don't look at the top line costs. Focus on the bottom line which can be significantly less than going to a Michigan or UVA. If you don't need the aide then good for your family and consider the expense a worthwhile one to give your child an excellent head start after graduation. Facts are Facts and the schools listed above have higher graduation rates, starting salaries and endowments (per capita).

By the way, BIG 10, ACC, etc. have great schools like Michigan, Notre Dame, UVA and more. In fact, if you do decide to go to a NESCAC school, you will probably be cheering for one of them on Saturday's in the Fall.

Since this is a lacrosse forum, I will state the obvious that kids dream of playing D1 because those teams are the ones on TV and get most of the press but the time/effort is a grind and not for everyone. If your son wants to play competitive lacrosse but at a more reasonable level of committment, you should consider D3.

Very good post and thoughtful.