Originally Posted by Anonymous
I would think the clubs want kids to be dedicated to the team. They want the kids that make the team to be at all the practices and all the tournaments. With so many talented kids in every grade, the top clubs have their choice on who they accept. If a kid is going to miss practices and tournaments, they'll take someone who will be there for everything. Also, remember that with the big clubs there is a business element invovled. They want to win, no matter what. The more winning the club the more kids want to play for that club. The more teams they can field, etc, etc. $$$

Exactly. I would add that the club travel landscape is changing rapidly. A few years ago most clubs would not have cared. My son is staying home this year and not going to sleep away b/c he wants to play more LAx. he is however older and at the tail end of the sleep away experience and in addition to LAX he will be attending some football camps as well. It was his choice. I do know of one player who played for a club we all know last summer and went to sleep away with my son. He was not selected after tryouts this year, he is avery good player and wound up w/ another club and is still going away. I think you can balance going away and playing summer club. I just think it easier at the younger levels (3rd to 5/6th grades)