Originally Posted by Anonymous
Keep the fascinating debate going! Question? And this may be old school, but why are kids going to these clubs in first place? Why aren't they staying or growing with the town they live in? Seems to be plenty of talent on the island. At the HS level the rivalry of the towns is great. A sense of community if you will - East Islip v West Islip as an example (pick whatever rivalry you like). I would think that if a team from a town like WI played in a tournament that they would fare well?

In my experience, on the town teams you get a mix of players: those who are strong and those who are there for a variety of reasons (social, parents signed 'em up, whatever) but who have less skill. The stronger players end up frustrated, and while they may enjoy the social aspect of the local team they are less happy with being on the field with players who aren't as dedicated (read skilled). I'm sure I'll get flack for saying that, but it's true. These kids want to broaden their sports experience and play more competitively.