Originally Posted by ratherbefishing
Thanks in advance for any good advice.....

My 13 year has played lax for several years but never really took it that seriously. Now all of a sudden he wants to play travel lax. Looking for advice on which teams a new travel player might actually have a chance of making. So a program with B/C/really crappy A team. He is raw in lax but a great athlete in other sports. If he wasnt an athlete I wouldn’t waste my time or money.

Basically I realize the best lax players are on LI so I am looking to stay away from the top programs and couldn’t care less about tournaments. Looking for tryouts where the team isn’t already picked and there may actually be a chance for a new kid to make a roster. A club that will take a n athlete with lower level/mid level lax skills compared to most travel players and turn him to a lax player.

Not looking for team bashing, just honest advice.

PS We went to 1 tryout for a “new” team and the coaches seemed to already know a lot of the kids by name already. Safe to assume the roster is already picked?

Also, for these tryouts do they ever scrimmage full field? By doing everything in an area around 30% of a lax field it almost seems like picking a basketball team by playing 3on3. Or does it go back to what I have heard that most teams are already picked so the tryouts don’t really matter, they want money.

There are so many travel lax teams out there at the B level. It really depends where you live.
When you go to tryouts for a team that existed the prior year of course the coach is going to know by name the kids on the team.
And coaches are not looking to change their roster over completely every year. There decisions will be based on how many kids they know may not be coming back, and the talent of the new kid trying out.

You are stating that your kid is interested in travel lax but is mid to low on skills. But expresses an interest in travel.
Low skills wont stand out at tryouts.
Honestly, im of the belief if your kid is not outside seeking by his own choice to consistantly play then your wasting your money on travel lax. Just let him enjoy PAL lax.
Or give it a year, and tell your kid he needs to earn the right to play travel by showing he is putting in that time practicing outside, and doing wall workouts so he improves enough and shows the dedication for you to spend significant money on travel.
That is just being honest.
There are lots of teams out there, because yes this is a side business for coaches. And will your kid make a team? If you keep trying out, he will make some team. You will even see after the season starts teams scrounging to find players for certain positions.
Will he play much, will depend on his ability and level of other kids on his team. At the B level, of course it depends on the coach, you should be seeing though a real attempt to give playing time to all the kids.
If you really want to still pursue it this year then stay close to where you live. Dont travel far when your just wetting your feet in this arena. You want to find out how much you and your kid really like it. You as well because it monopolizes a lot of time and weekends doing this.

You may want to consider looking at east coast lacrosse. Thats a team through Dynamic lacrosse management which is being formed because the Fighting Ducks coaches broke away and formed there own team. Most of those Ducks players will follow the coaches, so there will be plenty of slots to fill.
And the new organization is saying tournaments will all be on long island, so that may work better for you,
http://eastcoastelitelacrosse.com

Where are you located approximately on Long Island? Nassau, Suffolk? East, West, North, South?