Originally Posted by Anonymous
Originally Posted by Anonymous
First off , is there anyone on this site who has said defense is not important. Second , it could be stated that defense on the college level is so important that the college coaches many times recruit high school midfielders because they are the best athletes to play defense .The fact that you use BC and Walker in your post is a great example as her AA defender was a midfielder in high school . Honestly you clowns make it too easy .

I'll definitely agree with you that college coaches recruit middies and turn them into defense or attack. I'll also agree that more middies are recruited than any other position. Middies are great athletes and play offense and defense, as we all know.

However, the snide remarks by some posters saying that defenders don't have the athleticism or stick skills to cut it as a middie on their high school team are ridiculous.

If you have a really strong HS team, every single player on the field is an athlete with excellent stick skills. If you have a weaker team, other arguments may apply. So the blanket statements made by some posters don't hold up, IMO.

I'd rather be 1 of 12 strong players on a championship team, than a superstar on a team going nowhere. However, we don't always get to choose, so we make the best of the situation.

Enjoy the beautiful game girls!

Lets be real about this, Unless you play for a top H.S. team, and especially if you play for a mid to low level team, if you have any Lacrosse skills at all your coach is going to make you a midfielder. That doesn't mean your actually a midfielder, it just means your team needs you on both ends of the field (i.e. '16 Sachem East Mid/ florida Def) To say a defender has no stick skills (though it is true in some cases, but is true in all positions) is not true, what they have is a different set of stick skills that not every girl possesses . Lets be real, girls that can shoot between the legs, behind the back, while flipping through the air do posses exceptional skills, but they are by far in the minority, and quite frankly, anyone can score in a lacrosse game, the goalies job is very difficult. What most middies do not posses is the back checking , using the stick to guide , and body positioning that a true defender possesses