Originally Posted by Anonymous
Forgive me if this the wrong forum but I have a question that’s a bit off topic.
It’s about recruiting.
I was talked by to another club lacrosse parent about the colleges his 2019 daughter was looking at this past summer. My daughter is a 2022.
I asked him about “ABC College” and he said that his daughter didn’t fit “the profile”. The profile was that this school liked taller girls.
Do colleges/universities have unsaid physical profiles for their teams?
Ever since I have always noticed the height of the players and most rosters don’t carry a majority of one height over another. What are some of the other physical traits that schools may look at in a player?

Remembered this post from months ago. the season is over and here are the best players.

Here are the heights of the best players in the game. (keep in mind that some people believe that rosters usually round up as much as an inch).

Sam Apuzzo - 5' 6" - Boston College – Jr., Attack
Kristen Gaussian - 5' 8" - James Madison – Sr., Attack
Marie McCool - 5' 6" - North Carolina – Sr., Midfield
Kylie Ohlmiller - 5' 3" - Stony Brook – Sr., Attack
Megan Whittle - 5' 4" - Maryland – Sr., Attack

Draw your own conclusion.

To answer your question ... "What are some of the other physical traits that schools may look at in a player?"

Speed, athleticism, explosiveness, quickness, strength and skill are some. In addition to the physical traits I'm sure they look at lacrosse IQ, work ethic, attitude etc..

Enjoy the summer circuit and good luck on the recruiting trail.

I took a wider sample and looked at the IWLCA first team AA. They are definitely an overall taller than average team. Looking at the last data that states American women have an average height of 5'3"- 5'4" there are two players that fall within that range while the remaining are all above average with a general average of 5'7"- 5'8".

Looking at all 48 All-Americans, the average height is 5' 6".

The original question was "do colleges/universities have unsaid physical profiles for their teams?".

Coaches want "kids that can play". There are many physical traits that coaches value more than height.

The person stating his daughter "didn't fit the profile" was making an excuse. The coach didn't offer spots to other players simply because they were tall. The spots were offered to players the coach believed were better players (maybe they happened to be taller as well).