Originally Posted by Anonymous
Originally Posted by Powderfinger
When do All County Players get chosen? Who determines the players and what criteria?

1- If your team did not make the playoffs, you will not have any All County players on it.. regardless of talent.

2- the level of your teams success determines how many "award" slots they will have

3- Your coach chooses whom within the team to award. Favorites > those who deserve it.

So why is favoritism allowed over talent, stats? A really good player can be overlooked by her coach because of playing favorites? Aren't there some general guidelines?

You lost me at stats. I think it's been argued here to death that at least half the time someone's stats are the result of running up the score against weaker teams. HS teams keep stats for goals and assists, and goalie stats. No one is tallying ground balls or caused turnovers. Can you see where I'm going here? Plenty of girls who do their job and do it well but don't get recognition. As far as I know, there are no guidelines. There's a lot of stats (and we all know their worth) and then there's who the coach values or likes. Color me jaded. I saw a girl get All County when she couldn't even do a thing with her non-dominant hand. She couldn't understand plays, would ask my kid to explain them to her and then not execute them. An athletic girl but not a stellar lacrosse player but the coach love, love, loved her.

Well that's why I'm curious. And that's why I think coaches from other teams need to give bids for opposing team's players. Big deal a player can get 20 goals etc in on weaker teams - what about the true quality of their play? What about the play makers that get those ground balls but whose "stats' may not show tremendous goals, what about GB Stats, Forced Turnovers, %DCW etc..... Let's recognize the true Athletes and not favorites....

So you expect an opposing coach, in one game per year, to not only recognize the top players on another them and know their names, but then care enough to remember them at the end of the year to vote for them? Because if it's not from that one game they played against them, they would be going on reputation and stats, which is just as bad. Or maybe even worse - just picking the girls they know from their club team, and people would complain about that. Sounds like you have a daughter who doesn't get the recognition she deserves (or you think she deserves), which is frustrating, but it's the same in other sports - number of awards based on team performance - and there's no easy fix.