Originally Posted by lax516
From what I understand in Soccer these days, the trend is for the best players to bypass your school teams in favor of your club team. I guess the thinking is playing with the best players and having more productive training will improve accelerate a players development and thus increase their opportunities to play in the future.
Will lacrosse go in this direction? As anyone who's child plays on a competitive club team can attest. Going from club back to middle school sure seems like a waste of time for the best kids. These middle school coaches are trying to teach 35-40 kids, which creates a tremendous amount of standing around, not to mention districts and the state being more interested in participation % than competition.
If some of these club teams or private coaches had a quality team 4-5x a week for 1.5- 2 hours can you imagine how fast they would progress?
I'm sure this has been discussed within the community and I am now starting to wonder if club/ private lacrosse would be more productive than the public schools programs.

Interesting observation. In our town the Middle Schhol program is the same as PAL. No cut and equal playing time. At what point do you cull the herd. I'm all for kumbaya but at some point if little Johnny can't play it's time to give up the sport. Our high school program suffers because of this system.