Originally Posted by Anonymous
I think a good number of them do a solid job. Every parent is like a Yankee fan. They expect to win every year and it just doesn't work like that. (No offense to the Yankee fans). So if they don't win Suffolk, or Long Island or the state, it is of course the coaches fault. Now do not get me wrong. They do get paid for it and everyone deserves to get paid. But like I said, some are much more deserving than others. And not everyone covers all the responsibilities that you covered in your post. For example, there is one coach, a long standing coach in Suffolk County on the North Shore who is notorious for doing the bare minimum for his players. And this is a top 10 program that has sent players to college, a number at the D1 top 10 level and if you ask the players or the parents, this coach had absolutely nothing to do with getting them there. It was either the travel coaches or the parents that did all the work. So the point is not all coaches are made the same and some care a [lacrosse] of a lot more about their kids than others.

Originally Posted by Anonymous
A varsity coach will enter the players lives around age 15 or 16 years old, they spend 2-3 hours a day with them six days a week from the beginning of March until the end of May and they have 30 to 40 kids to worry about (not just yours). For the $8,000 - $12,000 they get paid they will be responsible for school work, school discipline problems, teaching and advising them on the recruiting process, talk to college coaches on their behalf, getting calls from other teachers about the kids, dealing with parents, (and in many years they have to deal with family tragedy) and they actually coach lacrosse. This same coach may also coach 1 or 2 other sports as well as trying to raise their own families......and every anonymous poster on here think they all suck.... Here is a Thank You to all the coaches and assistant coaches that have to deal with us and for the most part do a damn good job.

true that - like in any occupation some are better than others, same as with teachers and administrators, the original post was not trying to canonize HS coaches it was about saying they (most) do a lot and to hold them responsible for teenage boys social shortcomings is silly. But your point is valid, many go above and beyond and some come up short.