Originally Posted by Anonymous

Yikes, if you suspect a town of doing this you better have concrete evidence.

Paid coaches in pal. Wha? But if they did non for profit can pay "employees"/coaches.

But it would be silly for a non or for profit town organization not to have a CPA or lawyer who helps them. Usually a town parent volunteering their time.

Originally Posted by Anonymous
What if the Town Program is not filed as a "Non-Profit 501 c 3" ?

What rules must they follow with regard to the funds they collect?

Who is responsible for auditing their books?

Is it acceptable for a Town Program that does not have 501 c 3 status to promote the organization as a "non-profit" to the community?

Many Town Programs have been collecting money from parents for years, what if there are no "Books"?

What would trigger the State to Audit a program?

If the program is not a "non-profit" what are they?

is there a difference between "not for profit" and "non-profit"

If the town program has paid coaches are they reporting the payroll?

If the High School Coaches are involved in running teams and getting paid can the organization still be considered a "non-profit"?

What if a paid coach gets hurt on the job?

Do these programs have Workers Compensation insurance?

If the program is a 501c3 are the payments made to the program tax deductible?

What type of penalties would there be for not keeping accurate books?

The list goes on and on.

To all of you who are out there with good intentions, I hope there is no truth to this rumor. I think most of these programs are run by volunteers who are trying to do the right thing.

To the few rotten apples, if you did wrong you must deal with the consequences.

Concrete evidence? Suspect a town of doing this?

The questions in the quote were asked in response to an earlier post indicating that The State of New [lacrosse] could possibly audit / investigate some local Youth Lacrosse Organizations. My point was that there are many questions that could be asked. I think that even people that have good intentions could possibly be in violation of the law.

They were questions, not accusations.