Originally Posted by Anonymous
While at National Draw. a parent from an unnamed MD girls team, over breakfast told me, that it is an accepted practice that some kids are held back a year in school, so that they can be more competitive????

Example: a girl that is on track (while in early school years, K - 3rd grade) to be a graduate in the year 2014, is held back a school year so that her actual graduation year becomes 2015.

This is done to give a kid a competitive edge, how would someone know to do this?

I find it hard to believe.

I think it sounds absurd, but is that possible??

It is done all the time. In Texas and many other states, it is common practice. That is why Lax (boys and girls) need to go to a cetification of age within the USA lacrosse membership. Once they get into their sophomore year they should do away with the grade level brackets and go with just a HS division for recruiting purposes. It is worse with the boys because of the more physical nature of the rules. There is a bigg difference between a 13 year old boy and an 11 year old boy. In any event the age of the kids needs to be monitored somehow going forward.