Originally Posted by Anonymous
Originally Posted by Anonymous
What's worse is when a High School coach runs a camp and 7th grade kids who attend the camp are brought up to the 8th grade team over kids who didn't attend the camp even though they're better. Further, kids are brought up to JV based on being "evaluated" at camp, and kids who don't attend the for profit camp who are the better kids are black balled. This goes on in Syosset with the boys, Varsity coach makes big money on his camp and then runs a summer team for the high school and does it through his business, not the booster club and makes close to $15,000 off the kids. It's really gross!!

False, you need to check your facts, or bitterness

No 7th grader to date has played 8th grade
Several 8th graders have moved to JVA, some of these players have never attended the camp. Check roster for spring 2012
Varsity summer team has a separate fee payed by players for summer.
Camp is a business and open to many towns, yes it makes a profit.

I am not taking sides in this debate as I understand both sides but you can't go on here and post bombs and not get called on it. Syo has many many 7th graders that play up on 8th grade, I do not know about last year but the year before almost half the 8th grade team at SWMS were 7th graders. Maybe some of the kids that get moved up also happened go to this camp but were also better then other kids. this program has a long history of moving up kids at all grade levels and this was going on before the HC was even there and also before the camp go started. don't be hating because the staff doesn't think your kid has developed or matured enough to play up just tell your kid to work harder and his time will come. SYO has a kid starting at an Ivy who played 8th in 8th. JVB in 9th, JVA in 10th and made All American in 12th while another kid in the same grade got moved up to JVA in 9th and did not even play his senior year. Oliver Stone is not making a movie about the Syo lacrosse program, not every decision is a conspiracy sometimes kids just get moved up, maybe to fill a void on the older team or maybe he is just physically more mature. Syo girls consistently have 9th graders starting on varsity and the HC does not run a camp or a Summer team.