Originally Posted by Anonymous
ANYTHING that will calm down the lunatic parents that are ruining the team experience and sidelines is a plus. Let them be kids and then in 11th grade have your kid verbal. If this goes through hopefully the rest of us get three more quality years of lax 8-10th grades and then the crazies can take over again. Lots of kids like playing but aren't going the verbal in 8th grade route, let them play

I agree, the lunatic parents that can not believe that their kid is not being recruited and offered is getting out of control. The jealousy and bitterness is insane. It has ruined the sidelines.

Awesome post!

So it isn't about the sport, universities or the young athletes? It is to help control the parents and then lofty expectations?

Why does the 2% getting cash to play in school have to ruin it for the 98% who embrace that their kids are slightly weaker but LOVE and can play the game? The worst sideline in High School sports in Lacrosse there isn't even a close second. This isn't a sport anymore this is a job to get recruited. So sad

I don't think it's the 2% that ruin it. I have witnessed the bitterness of the parents. In my experience it is not the parents of the 2% who have the snide comments. It is not the parents of the early recruits who feel the need to comment on the other players in an attempt to tear them down.

Have you ever witnessed how the mood and demeanor of a parent changes when after a prospect camp the coaches approach one of their kids teammates but not their child? Have you seen the facial expression change when they hear that a player other than their child is being offered a spot at at top lacrosse school or university? Have you listened while they tell you why the other kid is making a mistake by committing early? Have you listened as they go on endlessly justifying why going to XYZ University is better than going to any of the Top 20 Schools in the country?

The college coaches may not like the early recruiting but they are the ones responsible for it. It is not the parents, players, HS coaches, club coaches or directors.

There is generally a consensus by the top college coaches as to who the best players are. The top coaches/programs all identify the same kids and then they race to get them. Early recruiting is about the best programs in the country identifying and "recruiting" the best players. The best players are "recruited" by the top programs, they don't send countless letters emails to the coach, they don't approach the coaches at prospect camps and they don't ask the HS or club coach to make a call for them. I think this is what has driven the insanity. Parents can not believe that their kid is not one of the top recruits.