My two cents for whats its worth. My son recently committed to a D1 school and I would say we were a pretty typical case. My son identified about 5 D1's and some D3's as well that he was interested in and began contacting those coaches his freshman year. To me the most important parts of this process were communication, video and support from his HS and club coaches. The school that picked him up identified him through one of the highlight videos we sent, contacted his HS and Club coach and requested that he come to their prospect day. He happened to have a very good prospect day and two days later they were on the phone with his coaches requesting that he come for a visit right away. One week later he did his overnight visit and we met with the coaches the following day where they made him an offer, which he decided to take. So I would say to anyone going through this process, make sure you are being active throughout the process, these coaches are not going to come to you unless your son is one of the rare kids that stand out physically and academically, but as we all know those kids get scooped up pretty quickly. Go to the big showcases as much as you can, send out your highlight videos, email the coaches with updates and grades, and have your HS and club coaches follow up. Dont get sucked in by all the money grabs and as much as possible go to the prospect days at the schools that your kid is interested in. Hope this helps, good luck to all!