Originally Posted by Anonymous
Originally Posted by Powderfinger
Originally Posted by Anonymous
Nobody wants to share stories. Just goes to prove that everyone is out for themselves. Parents have ruined this great sport

What stories do you want? How my kids got recruited? Tips on the process?

Both of those would be great, if you don't mind sharing!

Three kids, three sports, all different recruiting stories.

Eldest, not lacrosse, I taped her entire junior year games, made a killer dvd and sent it out to coaches and got some interest. But what really got her noticed was going to showcases. Other than sending out the DVD, we didn't do much reaching out to coaches, and we didn't contact coaches prior to showcasing -- a rookie mistake. What I did learn though was that it was all about marketing and sellilng youro product, aka your kid. Not a comfortable fit for us but that's what you have to do.

Second kid does an individual sport so his stats spoke for themselves. We did some contacting of coaches, but they also saw his numbers and reached out to him.

Third kid is the lax kid. We wrote to many coaches before each tournament, got some interest from both coaches we'd contacted and coaches we did not reach out to. Did some clinics at schools she was interested in but they didn't pan out for whatever reason. No one asked for tape, anyone interested wanted to see her live.

What I have seen through all this is that very, very late in the game, I"m talking second half of senior year, you will start hearing from coaches. That's too late IMO, and there probably isn't any athletic money left, but I was always surprised by who reached out that late in the game. Also, coaches always wanted to know the GPA, no one wants a kid that will end up on academic probation.

The two most important things IMO were reaching out to coaches and being able/comfortable with selling yourself. This is no time for modesty, this is the time to say, "Yes, I am good," and owning it. And of course, you must be seen live so get to showcases and recruiting events.