Originally Posted by Anonymous
Originally Posted by Anonymous
This subject was beat to death on the YJ thread. And your right, it is a crime that it is allowed to happen, huge conflict of intrests. I don't however think its against rules as they are now written. Someone should get on that!

does YJ just draw from one town or is it an open tryout? seeing current HS coaches pressure kids to play with the town during the summer then charging them as if they are these open tryout teams is insane. and if you don't play for them? what happens then.

No, this club is massive. Pretty much every town team or school district team you can find some or many players that are on some sort of YJ team. But that's not where the problem is, the problem is the reverse. Again since it is such a massive club, they have massive amounts of coaches, many of whom are coaches for school teams. And the YJ's are not the only club with coaches guilty of this. You can say and think what you want about this, but there is no question it puts kids in very awkward situations (kids playing for other clubs). The most obvious case is to cite Northport, but it goes way beyond that. I actually like the idea of a school team forming a travel team to go play the summer tournaments with the school coach. It would make for some tough tournaments and there is no way the school team would pry away the top players from commitments to the summer club teams. It's near immpossible to put together a highly competitive team drawing from one town, so the model may work for strengthening a school program but will never yeild a competitive tournament team. What I would like to see come out of this is that the school districts prohibit coaches from "paid" involvement of any kind in the sport in which they are hired to coach.