this is a great topic:

We've rushed our kids into many things and I think competitive Sports is one of them. I admit I did it. But because of this many times we (coaches) need to use a game as a scrimmage situation or practice. And yes, that comes with yelling at times. But yelling in the sense of being loud and making a point to be heard but not to belittle or single out a player.

I mentioned we rushed these kids into these sports. By that I mean we clearly do not have enough practice and development time to teach and mentor these kids so they can go out there and make a mistake and try to learn how to get out of it and compensate for it. So as coaches we need to DIRECT LOUDLY until the day we can sit back and give them a game plan and say go execute. When that day comes then we can stay quieter and pull them to the side when a situation needs to be addressed or corrected. Until that time, yes, I think being loud is appropriate and necessary.

Now if you coach a team for a few years, with little turn over that yelling should simmer down. but at times there will still be a burst here and there.

But the question was - Is yelling appropriate, great question! What is yelling? Some people may asked that. We have all seen the blogs and jokes about how someone says they are not yelling just talking loudly. So to one's mind do they even know they are yelling. Others say we have turned soft.

A note of Puss- i- fication of America. As George Carlin says what happened to the US. Harley Davidson has a theme restaurant. NO that just aignt right. Others State the no child left behind pushed this further which led to the ideology that everyone should get a participation medal. Now guess what, we even have some AD's in schools saying winning and losing isn't important its the experience. WHAT!

But I believe the topic is centered around the non coach (or worse coach) parent on the sidelines. We all know those people. Some are our friends, some we despise. But the really sad part is I really havnt seen many that yell or directed from the sideline that didn't know what they were doing. As a parent it is annoying we just want to say STFU (but in reality many times they are saying what I want to). As a coach it grates at you but as a coach (ill admit) it does shed light to things we had not seen.

Ever see one of those uber competitive 7/8/9 grade teams play? Not many parents barking out orders, on those teams. Why, Fear? Sure maybe! or maybe they know the coach and if they stay quiet a few moments longer the coach will catch it and correct or direct.

Then we have those that just blurt out things, these people usually have Solo cups somewhere nearby. No excuse for those!