A group of investors including Manhattan-based Medallion Financial Corp. and National Football League Hall of Famer Jim Brown have acquired the Long Island Lizards professional lacrosse team.

The Lizards, which play at Hofstra University’s Shuart Stadium, didn’t reveal the terms of the deal.

Long Island Lizards Owner Scott Rosenzweig died on February 3.

The investors acquired the team from Blue Dog Sports LLC and D Group LLC whose principals were Scott Rosenzweig and Ray Suri

The Lizards are one of eight teams in Major League Lacrosse, founded in 2001, and the only team in the league based on Long Island. They won the Steinfeld Cup in the league’s inaugural season and in 2003.

Although Jim Brown is best known for playing football at Syracuse University and as a running back for the Cleveland Browns from 1957 to 1965, he also was a lacrosse star in high school on Long Island and in college.

In his senior year at Syracuse University, Brown made first-team All-American in football and lacrosse, where he scored 43 goals in 10 games to rank second in scoring nationally.

“I was an All-American lacrosse player at Syracuse and our team went undefeated in my senior year,” Brown said in a written statement. “This sport is ready to explode and I am proud to be a part of it.”

He played football, lacrosse, baseball, basketball and ran as part of the track team while he was a student at Manhasset High School.

“Not everyone knows this, but lacrosse has always been my favorite sport along with football,” Brown said. “I started playing at Manhasset High School, not too far from the Lizards’ home field at Hofstra.”

Brown said he plans to meet fans an hour before the team’s game on June 1. The game starts at 7 p.m. “It will be a bit of a homecoming for me,” he said.

Medallion Financial Principal Andrew Murstein, who played junior varsity lacrosse at Manhasset, also said lacrosse has a big following in the region.

“Long Island is a hotbed for lacrosse,” Murstein said. “With Jim and I both growing up on Long Island, we know first-hand how passionate the fans are about lacrosse and what it means to the community.”

The Lizards include high-power players such as Max Seibald, Greg Gurenlian and C.J. Costabile, one of the five finalists up for the 2012 Tewaaraton Trophy, a prestigious award in the sport.

Manhattan-based Medallion, which has a sports division, recently acquired Richard Petty Motor Sports, a NASCAR team.

The investor group that acquired the Lizards also includes Richard Mack of AREA Property Partners, Ivan Wolpert, Albert Maione, John Lizza and others.