Originally Posted by Anonymous
Originally Posted by csullym
Was so look forward to watching the conclusion of a great contest of two highly skilled and athletic teams. Unfortunately, I think one of the biggest drawbacks to the game is that officials take over a game. It was the same thing a couple of years ago in which Northwestern lost when the officials took over the game.

I am not a supporter of either team, but the game was being officiated well tonight when all of a sudden it became an embarrassment. These games should be decided by the players on the field. There is no need for referees to insert themselves into the game.

Two examples of this, was that while the ball was in play, the officials stopped play to let a Northwestern player tie her shoes. How can an official do that. There was not a dead ball. This is not PAL but a NCAA Championship game. Did it matter in the game, absolutely not. It was just an embarrassment that it happened. That would never happen in any sporting event. The reversal of circumstances when Northwestern had a free position shot at the end was another example of the officials inserting them in a way that was not necessary. The one ref single handedly ended the game.

Congratulations to Northwestern. However, the NCAA needs to limit the referees inserting themselves into the game. It is not about and never should be about the refs.

I think if it was any other player they would not have let her tie her shoe
Forget the shoelace, how about the non call with the hockey type hip check inside the 8. How was that not a red card? And how about the ref on the sideline coming out on the field , calling a time out and then yellow carding Gary Gait when he walks on the field?

Gary Gait screwed that up bad (Finals). He admitted it in his press conference. Don't pin that on the ref or the player getting ejected either. There were a few bad calls from refs both ways, I agree. But as a player or a coach you can't lose your cool and disrespect them, you will pay for it. There were many questionable calls in the Semi round that got Cuse to the finals in the first place, the teams live and die by the refs calls. I felt the officiating in the final was good and had little impact on the outcome, The Florida/cuse game is the one that had me scratching my head.

Not sure what you were watching. i was pulling for NW and felt cuse got screwed! Those ref's were a spectacle. They changed the outcome of the game not handing out the yellow to Thorton!