Originally Posted by Powderfinger
Besides the ref, the lack of a shot clock made the game drag. Like watching paint dry. I understand why NW was doing it, and the rules allow it, but yawn.

NU has had a very distinct game plan the last several years. When they play regular season games against non top 10 teams, they play fast paced, up tempo ball, often putting high teen scores up, just like Syracuse, Florida and Maryland. Against top 10 teams they slow it down and treat every possession with great care, they control the tempo of the game and take the challengers out of their game (except FL this year), and then stall the end of the game if they have the lead. KAH is a genius at the gameplanning. Controlled tempo and stalling may be boring to watch but it is deadly effective towards winning games. Obviously KAH knows when something works, you don't win 7 of the last 8 D1 championships without good gameplanning. Can't believe FL didn't stall the ball with such a huge lead so late in the game. Had they imployed this tactic they would have won the semi easily. It was the most horrendous coaching and field strategy and play I have seen in D1. They are incredibly fast and talented so they will be back next year, but the inexperience showed up huge in that game. So here's the difference- stall, slow game down, upset some fans looking for careless running and gunning, but go home with the championship. I think they are happy to upset a few fans.