Originally Posted by Anonymous
The other news flash is...lacrosse isn't really growing anymore. The overall participation #s are up 3.5% this past year is weighted nearly all toward new high school seasonal players. That makes sense with the proliferation of public high schools in many regions adding lacrosse as a spring sport to be played on the HS football / soccer fields. By any measure the youth game has stopped growing and for valid reasons. Lacrosse is becoming I can pay so I can play sport, and the costs are high. It is a fun game, but so isn't hockey which is another very expensive sport. Right now baseball and soccer are growing at a much higher rate than lacrosse is, and those are mature sports with many millions more in the participation tables.

Sounds to me more like parents and kids are getting fed up beyond posting on forums and are voting with their feet. The club and events guys just ruined this sport. I hope in some way the sport can be taken back from the commercial guys. The beauty of this game is it could be played on any sandlot or field. Why don't kids go to the local school fields and play pick up lacrosse? You know, like kids who play basketball do...

Where are you getting this in-depth statistical research? Didn't know this was public information. Or is it that the growth of the sport exploded and you cannot expect the same statistical % growth year over year. Maybe 3.5% represents more players that played last year but the % is lower because the sport is become very saturated with player...

A healthy start for you to address your skepticism is the US Lacrosse web site which details participation figures. US soccer and US hockey have the same on their websites. Now you do know it is public information. The 3.5% does not represent a saturation point law of big figures for lacrosse. This sport is a tiny fraction of the participation in other sports like soccer and baseball. If you live on the east coast like I do, it is a good idea to also look outside to see if it is raining before calling someone stupid for putting a coat on.

Here is the link:
http://www.uslacrosse.org/Portals/1/documents/pdf/about-the-sport/2014-participation-survey.pdf
The data actually shows that the u15 growth rate (5.2%) is higher than the high school growth rate (2.5%). These growth rates are slower than they were a few years ago when growth rates were in excess of 10%.
My guess is that concussion worries have more to do with the lower growth rates than greedy club owners and tournament directors but I have no hard facts to back that up.