Originally Posted by Anonymous
It is easy to figure out that in the highest divisions of the best 2019 and 2020 tournaments there will be kids that are the physical equivalent of high schoolers. If the 2020 kid is 6 feet and 175 lbs it doesn't matter if it is because he is a holdback or because he matured early. The people running your club have an obligation to make sure that their teams are entered into appropriate divisions or tournaments. Any AA division means the kids will be physically mature.

I disagree with in "any AA division the kids will be physically mature". At early age levels skill is a major determining factor. I know plenty of players who were small for their age and playing age appropriate but could blow the socks off of less skilled player. Add a 2 year age difference and skill to the equation it adds a whole new dynamic. My friend has a son who is tiny for his age in 2021. He is extremely skilled and quick. Practices daily on the wall and is a pleasure to watch play. When he plays with kids who are his age and also talented his skills still shine. He comes around and plays with the older kids every so often. He can hang for a bit but must be playing at 110% at all times to do so. Where when playing with kids his own age he can dial his level of play down and dial it up when he needs to. When playing with the older kids he cant sustain his 110% level all the time which in turn effects his play.