Originally Posted by Anonymous
Originally Posted by Anonymous
First, most of the people reading this are not going to get any $ for need based financial aid. Great for you if you can, but not in the cards for the majority.

Really? good to be you I guess. While many people do not qualify for federal need based grants many private schools with large endowments offer a lot of need based grant money, do you really think every kid on every Ivy League school is paying $60,000 a year out of pocket? they are not. depending on your net worth and income many many kids will do better getting academic and grant money then they could have ever gotten in Athletic and academic money.

And just FYI - for those of us that do qualify for grant money it is not great for us.

Look, I wish you all the luck in the world and hope that it all works out for you. Ivy is a lot more difficult than standard and they do have a great system for determining need. But, it is a lot closer to the web based financial aid calculators--publicly available--than you think. Yes, I think people are paying alot for those schools and then some making very little income are going for close to free...If you went to private school in MD--or anywhere else for that matter--you are not getting help from Ivy. Most people in Garden city, manhasett, setauket...are also not getting any help. Good luck to you

I am sorry to be the bearer of bad news, but 10 minutes of research online and you can see what your kid should expect to receive in financial help at any school.