BOTC BOTC
The UnD1sputed Showcase (Boys & Girls) in June & the Girls LI Showcase is Open for Registration on CBLaxers.com - Don't Miss Out as 88 Players Only Accepted! | Invest for Growth - ADVERTISE with us!
BOTC GIRLS BOTC BOY BACK OF THE CAGE
BOTC GIRLS BOTC BOY MOST RECENT POSTS
Girls High School
by Anonymous -
Boys High School
by Anonymous -
BOTC GIRLS BOTC BOY Forum Statistics
Forums20
Topics3,802
Posts385,595
Members2,606
Most Online62,980
Feb 6th, 2020
BOTC GIRLS BOTC BOY FOLLOW US ON TWITTER
Previous Thread
Next Thread
New Reply
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
Long pole
LaxMom Offline OP
Back of THE CAGE
OP Offline
Back of THE CAGE
Hi....looking for a light weigh durable defense long pole for my 8 year old without spending a small fortune. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Like Reply Quote
BOTC GIRLS BOTC BOY BACK OF THE CAGE SPONSORS

Re: Long pole
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Checkout Tribe7. They have a website. The have a very good product and great pricing.

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Yes. let him play with a short pole. To young to play with the long pole. He needs to develop footwork and body positioning. he also needs to develop better stick skills. When he can do that the long pole will be far easier to adjust to in another year or two

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Originally Posted by LaxMom
Hi....looking for a light weigh durable defense long pole for my 8 year old without spending a small fortune. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

8 year old should not be using a long pole. Even in travel. No way before 4th grade.

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Lax mom , no disrespect but at 8 you should not limit your son to defense just yet. Let him learn the skill first . Cradle , switch hands , dodge , shoot. If you want it in addition to the short stick , I suggest you go to lacrosse unlimited an ask them.

Like Reply Quote
BOTC GIRLS BOTC BOY Sponsored Links
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
lf you don't want to save $ by shopping online, l would go see John at Olympic Den. Saved me alot of $ over the years with P.A.L. discount. Lacrosse unlimited is highway robbery!

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Don't buy a long pole buy a goalie shaft it the perfect length for a younger player.

Like Reply Quote
LaxMom Offline OP
Back of THE CAGE
OP Offline
Back of THE CAGE
Thank you for the info. Unfortunately his travel coach wants him to start getting use to a long pole for 4th grade. So I have no choice but to purchase one.

Like Reply Quote
LaxMom Offline OP
Back of THE CAGE
OP Offline
Back of THE CAGE
Let me add....he is currently on 2 travel teams were he plays defense on one and middie and defense on the other. The coach has asked me to get him a long pole so he can start getting use to catching and throwing with it before he starts 4th grade. As it is now they play up against the 4th graders who have the long poles. Thanks again for any and all input.

Like Reply Quote
LaxMom Offline OP
Back of THE CAGE
OP Offline
Back of THE CAGE
Thank you...where is that located?

Like Reply Quote
BOTC GIRLS BOTC BOY Sponsored Links
LaxMom Offline OP
Back of THE CAGE
OP Offline
Back of THE CAGE
Someone else suggested that but another person said it was too heavy.

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Thank you for the info. Unfortunately his travel coach wants him to start getting use to a long pole for 4th grade. So I have no choice but to purchase one.

I would question any travel coach suggesting that an 8 year old needs to start playing with a long pole. Like one of the earlier posters said - he should be working on stick skills, body positioning, and footwork. Any good coach should know that.

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Originally Posted by Anonymous
lf you don't want to save $ by shopping online, l would go see John at Olympic Den. Saved me alot of $ over the years with P.A.L. discount. Lacrosse unlimited is highway robbery!

I worry more about getting robbed by the travel team then LU. Lol.

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

His travel coach is wrong!

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Long pole in 4th grade?

The coach is a fool. Ask him what benefit to learning how to play the position will he have using a long pole? Ridiculous.

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
If you must.......Gait Ice is very light.

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Two travel teams at 8 years old ? Mom , YOU are crazy. Suspect. He plays on 2 teams and with all the know it all Dads , or in this case Moms , no one suggested where to get a long pole ? Yet you come on this gauntlet and ask a ridiculous question. Well it worked.

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Let me add....he is currently on 2 travel teams were he plays defense on one and middie and defense on the other. The coach has asked me to get him a long pole so he can start getting use to catching and throwing with it before he starts 4th grade. As it is now they play up against the 4th graders who have the long poles. Thanks again for any and all input.

The only tea playing up is the Wolfpack so guessing that is the team where he is playing D. Don't listen to these fools. Do whatever you need to stay with that team. Reality is the type of shaft doesn't matter at this age. Get something light and cheap and cut it down so it's no bigger than his eye brows.

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
My advice is to ask around to see if anyone has an old shaft that he can use. It's essentially a high priced rental because he'll need to cut it down dramatically and get a new one in two years. That's a lot of coin to drop for something that he won't use forever. Again, like some above posters said, it may be a little early. Defense is played with the feet more than the stick. At his age, he may become too dependent on the stick before he masters the defensive fundamentals. I'll take a kid with a short shaft and fast feet over a weak defender with a long pole every day and twice on Tuesday.

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
GOALIE SHAFT...29.99 ALL U NEED

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

I would question any travel coach suggesting that an 8 year old needs to start playing with a long pole. Like one of the earlier posters said - he should be working on stick skills, body positioning, and footwork. Any good coach should know that.

Obviously your kid does not play travel. EVERY travel team from 4th grade up has the defense with a long pole. This is my son's 2nd year with a long pole and if it is cut to a proper height he will be just fine!

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

Obviously your kid does not play travel. EVERY travel team from 4th grade up has the defense with a long pole. This is my son's 2nd year with a long pole and if it is cut to a proper height he will be just fine!

We're talking about an 8 year old, not a 11 year old, all of you playing travel in 2,3,4 grade are crazy, there's no real upside and half the kids will burn out before HS. The problem is everyone is paranoid and conned into believing that they must start playing right away to secure a spot on tye top teams. trust me if your kid belongs the coaches will find him

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

When my son was in 4th grade he wanted a long pole many do. He was given a 6ftr. About an hour after it was given to him he asked me if I wanted to see his SHLONG. I nearly passed out laughing (im a dad).

I said Wha, what! He said my short long pole. Shlong for short! He took a hacksaw or dremel to it and was happy with his creation.

It is okay for them to get used to a right sized pole and have fun. All of the bloggers are right though, don't get your son pigeon holed. Have them play with all the sticks he can IN BOTH HANDS!!!

Just remember he is in 4th grade, the team he is on now may not be the same team he is on a year or two from now. Make good friends and it all falls into place.

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

Yes, and he will have it cut down since the long pole is too much for an 8th grader, stick with the short pole for another year, my son plays D and he too had to cut his expensive pole. I don't believe long pokes are allowed for 4th grade play.

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

According to USL youth guide, U9 - "all sticks must be 37-42"" Page 30.

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

Ask his coach "why he is the only coach on the planet that thinks a nine year old should get used to playing with a long pole" A regular length middie or attack pole is almost the correct size long pole for a nine year old!.

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

Obviously you are a nut. Most U9 or fourth grade and BELOW teams do not play with a long pole. Most leagues do not allow long poles at U9.

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
4th grade plays with long poles. In travel and PAL "A" division. Probably B+ as well. Since when does USL mean anything?

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
please stay off this site..you know nothing about the youth rules with long poles...Pal "A" division 4th grade...Ha half the teams have evenly balanced team in 4th grade PAL except if your town only has 1 team...

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
If you really really must get him a long pole, go online and buy a cheap one, CUT it down to size because in two years or so he can use a long pole. Just make sure to cut it down to size, have seen may kids try to use a long pole and it just becomes a weapon and they dont learn or benefit from it at all

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
This thread has been around a while. If you have not already, go to lacrosse monkey.com. They have an excellent selection of clearance poles. Basically , you can get a top of the line shaft from a few years back for a great price. They have December deals and usually let you pile all those onto your clearance purchase. They display the original cost on the site. For a starter long pole you can usually go by original price. Do this and you won't feel bad about cutting it down plus it will last. Great customer service as well.

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
please stay off this site..you know nothing about the youth rules with long poles...Pal "A" division 4th grade...Ha half the teams have evenly balanced team in 4th grade PAL except if your town only has 1 team...

You're a [lacrosse]. Suffolk PAL has A, B+, B and C divisions. Most towns that have multiple teams have gone to an A/B format. "A" division teams play by the rules of the age group above. That means that 4th grade "A" division teams play with long poles. I watched 4th grade teams play with long poles last season on numerous occasions. Not certain if this applies to "B+" teams because last year was the first year of that division; however, 4th grade "A" division teams played with long poles.

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Playing with them is not the issue. SHOULD they play with them is the issue!

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
SCPAL 4th grade "A" and "B+" play with long poles 60 inch maximum and some refs do measure. B+ has been around longer then one year. Maybe just not at every grade level. US Lacrosse is useless.

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

This started with the question from a kid 7 or 8 years old. No way that age should be using a pole.

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
If other travel and PAL teams are using long poles in 4th grade then you would be a foolish coach to discourage your player from using one. With that being said, there is absolutely no reason to get one a year early to get used to it. He'll get used to it in 4th grade just like everyone else.

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

This started with the question from a kid 7 or 8 years old. No way that age should be using a pole.

At 7 or 8 I am not even sure they should be using a regulation ATT length. You have to cut that down.

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Long poles should be banned by PAL on LI until 5th grade.Kids should learn to play defense with a short stick and work on stick skills,footwork and defensive positioning. When they get to 5th grade they will be a little stronger, have better stick skills and will understand defense a little better. Using a pole also limits the kids at an early age and pigeon holes them into a position by a DADDY coach.

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Maybe I can assist - I was a D1 defensive and now my son plays defense for a competitive club team.

You play defense with you feet. A long pole at this age will discourage them for playing defense properly because they are going to be chasing with their stick.

Also, I don't think they 4th graders (especially D) have developed their strong hand/weak hand. So, let them develop with a short stick.

If you son can scope, cradle, switch hands effectively, pass, catch-- and plays defense whis feet - then go long pole

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

At 7 or 8 I am not even sure they should be using a regulation ATT length. You have to cut that down.

My son is a very good player for his age (8) who uses both hands well and we've cut his stick down 2 inches. he plays D quite a bit and we were told by the coach that the long pole is a terrible idea for at least a couple more years. And this guy is a HS Varsity Coach. so I think he knows what he is talking about.

Like Reply Quote
Page 1 of 2 1 2
Quick Reply

Options
HTML is disabled
UBBCode is enabled
CAPTCHA Verification

Link Copied to Clipboard