BOTC BOTC
The UnD1sputed Showcase (Boys & Girls) in June & the Girls LI Showcase is Open for Registration on CBLaxers.com - Don't Miss Out as 88 Players Only Accepted! | Invest for Growth - ADVERTISE with us!
BOTC GIRLS BOTC BOY BACK OF THE CAGE
BOTC GIRLS BOTC BOY MOST RECENT POSTS
Boys High School Lax
by Anonymous -
Girls High School Lax
by Anonymous -
BOTC GIRLS BOTC BOY Forum Statistics
Forums20
Topics3,802
Posts385,545
Members2,606
Most Online62,980
Feb 6th, 2020
BOTC GIRLS BOTC BOY FOLLOW US ON TWITTER
Previous Thread
Next Thread
New Reply
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 6 of 25 1 2 4 5 6 7 8 24 25
Re: Age Verification
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
As a parent, I want the ability to make decisions about my son's safety. We do it every day, why not in sports. If someone asks my son to play up, I am making the conscious decision to allow him to play with/against older kids and accept the risk. It seems Edge Lacrosse is playing teams that believe them to be 2019 (13 year olds) when in fact they are at least one year older. The deception creates a situation that does not allow me as a parent to make an informed decision about my son playing against older kids, an inherently more dangerous endeavor.

Does anyone know how the parents of the injured 2019 player has responded? Have they posted on the board?

This practice needs to stop. Let everyone play straight up and see where your kid ranks. Gaming the system only puts kids...they are just kids... in jeopardy.

Like Reply Quote
BOTC GIRLS BOTC BOY BACK OF THE CAGE SPONSORS

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
For anyone concerned about this issue, please contact US Lacrosse and voice your opinion - http://www.uslacrosse.org/about-us-lacrosse/contact-us.aspx

If you don't speak up, nothing will be done.

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Originally Posted by Anonymous
The fact is that most of the parents that complain about the holdbacks say it's about safety but in reality it's about the older kids dominating on the field and getting the better recruiting options.

Just be honest and say that you don't like older kids taking away precious D1 spots from your kid.

Your truly do not get it. It is not about the D1 spots (although I suspect it is for you). It is about showing up at a tournament with kids 11 to 13 years old and playing in brackets with kids 14 and 15 year olds. Not so bad for the 13 year old playing against a 14 year old, but quite a problem when the 15 year old goes after the 11 year old in a game setting. When that happens it is not a game, but a bad and dangerous (yes dangerous) farce.

Well said. For the parents of middle schoolers this is all about safety. Any parent who has been on the receiving end of this nonsense knows the gut wrenching feeling when their kid is being knocked around by kids a full helmet taller.

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Unfortunately, seems as nothing will ever be done

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
The fact is that most of the parents that complain about the holdbacks say it's about safety but in reality it's about the older kids dominating on the field and getting the better recruiting options.

Just be honest and say that you don't like older kids taking away precious D1 spots from your kid.

Your truly do not get it. It is not about the D1 spots (although I suspect it is for you). It is about showing up at a tournament with kids 11 to 13 years old and playing in brackets with kids 14 and 15 year olds. Not so bad for the 13 year old playing against a 14 year old, but quite a problem when the 15 year old goes after the 11 year old in a game setting. When that happens it is not a game, but a bad and dangerous (yes dangerous) farce.

under what scenario are 11 yr olds playing against 15 yr olds even with grade based events? Are suggesting kids are being held back 3 times? exaggerating to make a point weakens the argument.

perhaps grade based tournaments should also have an age limit, ie to play in 2020 they have to be born after june 1, 2001, that would accommodate "reasonable" holdbacks. so the oldest and youngest would be 18 months apart...

Like Reply Quote
BOTC GIRLS BOTC BOY Sponsored Links
Back of THE CAGE
Back of THE CAGE
It needs to be done by age group and dob
example
girls or boys U-11 have to be born in 2004
it's simple
if your left back sorry but athletics should not be your top priority and if your parents puy you in school late your playing on grade

I just heard of a youth wrestler in 6th grade who is a youth state champ his parents are attempting yo have repeat grade so he can get his weight up and have more years on varsity

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
RE: age verification

(I transferred this from another thread as I feel it may be of help to some...fwiw; our plan resulted in a top 5 2017 commit for an age appropriate player.)

We've been down this road so many times...

Yes it is deplorable that re-classed kids must use a younger venue to be able to become visible for recruiting purposes.

It's not going away anytime soon.

The only immediate solution is for dads of younger than 2017/2018 to get as much additional training as possible. Showing up for practice is not going to be enough.

Do what we did: invest in the best private coaching you can for your sons position.
Invest in an early age appropriate private conditioning program with a personal trainer.

Get him on the best team he can qualify for where he has a realistic chance of starting or at least get even playing time (those clubs are out there)

Maintain strict academic standards. No high grades = no lax or other sports. It's a privilege, not a right to play.

Look for any signs of stress. It's supposed to be fun. If it's not; find out why and try to work towards a solution.

Let him find his way; don't push.

Be 100% supportive; win or lose.

If he's good; he will kick the butts on the older kids who have to play down. Typically, their skill sets don't match their physical maturity advantage (why would they be playing down instead of with their peers?) and are easy prey for good players.

Be positive.

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
All of the Edge Players on 2019 were born in 2000. Get over yourself

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
edge 2019 all played bantam box lacrosse last summer which includes age verification. Bantam Box in 2014 was for players born in 2001 and 2000. A slight exaggeration saying these kids are in grade 10. NONE of them are over the age of 14

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Yeah but being born in January of 2000 is a lot different than being born in October of 2000

Like Reply Quote
BOTC GIRLS BOTC BOY Sponsored Links
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Yeah but being born in January of 2000 is a lot different than being born in October of 2000

2000 b-day belongs in 2018...that is the point

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Omg 2000 is Grad year 2018..... 2001=2019

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

2000 b-day belongs in 2018...that is the point

I think the point is "most" states allow ANY kid born after July 1 to play in the grade he/she is in, so long as they have their 19th birthday AFTER July 1.

The problem is "most" local/state educational boards "recommend" Dec 1 as the cut-off date for class designation to enter kindergarten.

But, what is a parent to do with the slower developing child that has a birth date between July 1 & November 30?

We have to get to a point where we say it's either age & weight, or grade qualifications for competition.

I think we can all agree, age & weight is the safest and most appropriate standard to grow our sport.

Identification cards, with annual, digital-update-ability as to what town & club team a player is affiliated with should be the goal. Photo, birth dates, etc.

Let's just create a standard and go with it. Talk to your local governing bodies, send emails and letter to US Lax, have conversations with those "in the know" and we can standardize competition qualifications.

Youth Lacrosse locally and nationally is BEGGING for this.

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
We have been through this before. You says "most" schools use December 1 as a cut off date when you enter kindergarten. You are wrong. See this link for a state by state cut off date listing: http://www.schoolsnmore.com/articles/article/107-kindergarten-cut-off-dates-by-state

Also, as we all know us lacrosse uses 9.1

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
That chart sure does put a huge hole in the whiner's theory. Looks like most states (as well as US Lacrosse) use a 9/1 cutoff. Next excuse please?

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
That chart sure does put a huge hole in the whiner's theory. Looks like most states (as well as US Lacrosse) use a 9/1 cutoff. Next excuse please?

I don't think the poster is whining or trying to make excuses. It seems pretty clear he/she is trying to set the tone for an educated discussion to come up with a standardized set of qualifications for grade & age eligibility.

Less thumping of the chest, more open discussion and we might get there.

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Maryland's cutoff to enter kindergarten in a public school is 9/1. If you are not age 5 by 9/1, you do not begin kindergarten until the following fall.

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Maryland's cutoff to enter kindergarten in a public school is 9/1. If you are not age 5 by 9/1, you do not begin kindergarten until the following fall.

Actually makes more sense that way!

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
9.1 is the cut off date for the majority of states. Ny and Hawaii are the latest dates. Read that link in the earlier post

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
9.1 is the cut off date for the majority of states. Ny and Hawaii are the latest dates. Read that link in the earlier post

Well, if Sep 1 is the current cutoff in the majority of the states, the let's get this some nationwide.

Write letters to US Lax AND to your local organizations. Let's get standardized photo ID's with birthdates, town & club affiliations clearly stated.

Then we need to put the pressure on the "Tourney Circuit" and demand higher standards.

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Nah, I will just come here to thump my chest when my kid wins and whine when my kid loses to "older" players

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Ya about 9 months different while US Lacrosse has 24 month cohorts. Calm down. That Edge team already has kids with offers. I don't think Canadians are making the NCAA because of grad year manipulation. They are making it because they have advanced stick skills and tough courtesy of box lacrosse. Time to evaluate how our kids play the sport.

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Us lacrosse uses 9.1 as their cut off date. Most age based tourneys go by us lacrosse rules. However, most tourneys are moving towards grade based not age based. Us lacrosse can't do anything about this. It is up to the tourney director to determine their own rules. Us lax has nothing to do with private tourneys. Finally, having grade based tourneys makes it easier for colleges to recruit because they dont have to guess what grade the kid is in.

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Canada is Jan 1st
So the Sept to Dec Canadian born kid is one whole year behind the American kid.
Edge not looking like cheaters now!!

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
I really liked the guy that stated separate them by size and weight.
Lets see I am a College Coach - do I go to field #3 and watch the 5'5" 140lb and under game or do I go to field #1 and watch the 6 footers?

Like Reply Quote
Back of THE CAGE
Back of THE CAGE
I really liked the guy that stated separate them by size and weight.
Lets see I am a College Coach - do I go to field #3 and watch the 5'5" 140lb and under game or do I go to field #1 and watch the 6 footers?

Lol I think it's fair to say that is just not a option- but it does speak to why proper age verification is paramount in all sports

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
No LI dad is going to respond to this because you just exposed their B.S.

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
[quote=Anonymous]I really liked the guy that stated separate them by size and weight.
/quote]

In that sentence you don't capitalize "College Coach."

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
edge 2019 all played bantam box lacrosse last summer which includes age verification. Bantam Box in 2014 was for players born in 2001 and 2000. A slight exaggeration saying these kids are in grade 10. NONE of them are over the age of 14

What position are you in to verify the birth dates of the Edge program players?

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
I think some posters are missing the point of the Edge Lacrosse program issue. The program, not the parents, is structured so that their rosters are one year older than the teams they play against.

Obfuscate the point all you want. The fact remains their business model centers around organized and purposeful cheating which endangers players without parents having the ability to decide if they want their child playing against older kids.

School cutoff dates, weight, height....its all a smoke screen that I must believe is being sent up by an Edge employee or director.

My sons coach has already confirmed they will not register for tournaments that allows the Edge teams to participate. He's an old school Syracuse alumni who is hyper competitive but thinks the Edge program policy is dangerous and completely unfair. I think he has some pull with a bunch of larger tournaments through his college relationships. Hopefully it has the desired effect.

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Is he going to avoid Sweetlax, 3d, Crabs et al? They are all doing it. Are you LI people that slow?

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

Edge Parent. All players born in 2000. All players 14 yrs old or younger.

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

How are they all in full puberty then? Is that a Canada thing? Please??

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

My son is a 2002- 7th grader and will be 13 in the early part of this new year - So the 2000 kids will be 15 starting in about 1 month. Aren't most kids turning 14 in 8th grade - the 2019 year???? Our 9th graders turn 15, not our 8th graders. Are we talking about 2019 Edge being 2000 yr born?

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Is he going to avoid Sweetlax, 3d, Crabs et al? They are all doing it. Are you LI people that slow?

It seems to me that the slow LI people are trying to bring some sanity to a dangerous and unethical situation. While the Wendy whiners in the greater Balto area that have clearly flouted the rules for years are upset by any push to right the ship.
Canadians are following the lead of the cheaters south of the 49th, but they have always followed big brother. You can't blame them.

Let's all agree, September 1 cutoff date. If kids aren't 5yrs old by 9/1, they don't have to enter kindergarten.

Let's get the US Lax, CLA, OLA, etc, to show some leadership and mandate birth certificate verified photo ID's.

All of the side-bantering, including mine, doesn't mean a thing until we have organized, mandated standardization of age verification.

I have friends who are affiliated with the Edge program, and I Iove the lacrosse they produce, but the language on their website is disturbing. It illustrates the need for standardized age verification.

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
play by grade only - stop the BS - 2018's play against 2018's

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
That is great for your old kid, but seems unfair to have barely 14 year olds playing against 16 year olds because they "decided" to repeat 8th grade twice or just "reclassified" (maybe do a PG year 4 years from now).

Cheating is cheating.

Cheat - act dishonestly or unfairly in order to gain an advantage , especially in a game or examination

That is from the dictionary. Does that hit a little close to home?

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

It seems to me that the slow LI people are trying to bring some sanity to a dangerous and unethical situation. While the Wendy whiners in the greater Balto area that have clearly flouted the rules for years are upset by any push to right the ship.
Canadians are following the lead of the cheaters south of the 49th, but they have always followed big brother. You can't blame them.

Let's all agree, September 1 cutoff date. If kids aren't 5yrs old by 9/1, they don't have to enter kindergarten.

Let's get the US Lax, CLA, OLA, etc, to show some leadership and mandate birth certificate verified photo ID's.

All of the side-bantering, including mine, doesn't mean a thing until we have organized, mandated standardization of age verification.

I have friends who are affiliated with the Edge program, and I Iove the lacrosse they produce, but the language on their website is disturbing. It illustrates the need for standardized age verification.

Some American clubs started this practice. How can we blame Edge for following. Btw the CLA does not sanction and have nothing to do with Canadian club teams. They sanction box lacrosse and national and international field teams and tournaments.

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

How are they all in full puberty then? Is that a Canada thing? Please??

You don't think the best lacrosse players in Ontario have started puberty by 14? They are the too players for their area...of course they are going to be big.

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
So Edge parent if the are all 2000 birthdays then you should be playing in the 2018 and NOT the 2019 division. I believe that is the point everyone is trying to make.

Like Reply Quote
Page 6 of 25 1 2 4 5 6 7 8 24 25
Quick Reply

Options
HTML is disabled
UBBCode is enabled
CAPTCHA Verification

Link Copied to Clipboard