BOTC BOTC
The UnD1sputed Showcase (Boys & Girls) in June & the Girls LI Showcase is Open for Registration on CBLaxers.com - Don't Miss Out as 88 Players Only Accepted! | Invest for Growth - ADVERTISE with us!
BOTC GIRLS BOTC BOY BACK OF THE CAGE
BOTC GIRLS BOTC BOY MOST RECENT POSTS
Girls High School
by Anonymous -
Boys High School
by Anonymous -
BOTC GIRLS BOTC BOY Forum Statistics
Forums20
Topics3,802
Posts385,595
Members2,606
Most Online62,980
Feb 6th, 2020
BOTC GIRLS BOTC BOY FOLLOW US ON TWITTER
Previous Thread
Next Thread
New Reply
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Lacrosse Mag article about club lacrosse
Back of THE CAGE
OP Offline
Back of THE CAGE

Like Reply Quote
BOTC GIRLS BOTC BOY BACK OF THE CAGE SPONSORS

Re: Lacrosse Mag article about club lacrosse
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Excellent article..

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

What do you think he means by "an 11-year-old boy should be able to play with his buddies in a lacrosse event that may fall outside the parameters of his club commitment."?

Is he saying that kids should still play Rec along with Club?

Or is he saying the "old rec team" should be allowed to get together for a tournament or two?

Like Reply Quote
Back of THE CAGE
OP Offline
Back of THE CAGE
Originally Posted by Anonymous

What do you think he means by "an 11-year-old boy should be able to play with his buddies in a lacrosse event that may fall outside the parameters of his club commitment."?

Or is he saying the "old rec team" should be allowed to get together for a tournament or two?

I took it as a kid should still play rec. IME, rec clubs don't do a lot of tournaments, but then again I'm not from a strong-red town so my experience may not reflect the wider lacrosse communtiy's experiences.

What I like is he's pretty clear that your HS team and experience are important. I'm thinking specifically of playoffs which can conflict with the tournament season and sometimes kids have to choose.

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

Dom also came out last year about how he was "sick to his stomach" being on the sidelines recruiting 9th graders" and took a 9th grader within a day or two of his statement. Talks out of both sides of his mouth. UVA has enough issues of their own that they should be focusing on.

Like Reply Quote
BOTC GIRLS BOTC BOY Sponsored Links
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
I find the comments to be more on spot than the article. I like Starsia but much of what he ambles through he and other coaches validate through their behavior. Having gone through the recruiting process with our son who is now a sophomore I am still quite astonished these recruiting cycles wind up when these kids have barely played out fall ball in their 10th grade year. Parents chasing elite clubs for their kids to play on is sensible and is overtly encouraged by the recruiters. Look at where commits come from: a concentrated group of elite clubs and elite prep schools. I have been to a lot of tournaments and have never seen a college coach make a point of doing anything but flocking to see the good teams on this predictable list. Kids are dropping out of other sports to focus on lacrosse too early because recruiting is too early and that is the fault of the college coaches who control the inventory of D1 opportunities having it that way. Starsia is on point with his concern. If your little Johnny doesn't go to showcases and prospect days in abundance at many thousands of dollars a year over club fees, then little Johnny may just be prejudiced out of the looks needed to get an opportunity at the schools he aims for. Yes, lacrosse remains a rich kid sport that dilutes merits Starsia tries to celebrate in what he wrote for as long as that remains the status quo.

I am amazed this has run amok so far and this early recruiting hysteria has not been curbed. It appears to be a game for the sake of gamesmanship and just absorbs so much out of the kids emotionally to be social media addicts on who is getting shout outs or committed and to be public figures themselves. Lacrosse has one problem noted which is the high costs associated with clubs + showcases + prospect camps none of which is focused on player development of skills, and also has another in that the sport really is no fun anymore for kids in 7th grade or so up. My younger son is not going to be a recruit, we know it and he knows it, and moreover he just likes to play to have fun. Already he seems more detached from enjoyment of his club because this is the age where the daddies and the club operatives start going crazy and it permeates down to the kids.

Hey Starsia, nice article. Now grow a pair and be a leader in your sport and curb this. You guys will be better off evaluating recruits until they are juniors (just my suggestion) for their skill and better maturity to handle this. Early recruiting isn't entirely everybody else's fault -- pushy parents, prep coaches, club coaches showcase guys. It is partially the college coaches fault because at bottom they control the allocation of the opportunities. I personally find that level of hypocrisy very tiresome now and it is time for those guys to reform.

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
I find the comments to be more on spot than the article. I like Starsia but much of what he ambles through he and other coaches validate through their behavior. Having gone through the recruiting process with our son who is now a sophomore I am still quite astonished these recruiting cycles wind up when these kids have barely played out fall ball in their 10th grade year. Parents chasing elite clubs for their kids to play on is sensible and is overtly encouraged by the recruiters. Look at where commits come from: a concentrated group of elite clubs and elite prep schools. I have been to a lot of tournaments and have never seen a college coach make a point of doing anything but flocking to see the good teams on this predictable list. Kids are dropping out of other sports to focus on lacrosse too early because recruiting is too early and that is the fault of the college coaches who control the inventory of D1 opportunities having it that way. Starsia is on point with his concern. If your little Johnny doesn't go to showcases and prospect days in abundance at many thousands of dollars a year over club fees, then little Johnny may just be prejudiced out of the looks needed to get an opportunity at the schools he aims for. Yes, lacrosse remains a rich kid sport that dilutes merits Starsia tries to celebrate in what he wrote for as long as that remains the status quo.

I am amazed this has run amok so far and this early recruiting hysteria has not been curbed. It appears to be a game for the sake of gamesmanship and just absorbs so much out of the kids emotionally to be social media addicts on who is getting shout outs or committed and to be public figures themselves. Lacrosse has one problem noted which is the high costs associated with clubs + showcases + prospect camps none of which is focused on player development of skills, and also has another in that the sport really is no fun anymore for kids in 7th grade or so up. My younger son is not going to be a recruit, we know it and he knows it, and moreover he just likes to play to have fun. Already he seems more detached from enjoyment of his club because this is the age where the daddies and the club operatives start going crazy and it permeates down to the kids.

Hey Starsia, nice article. Now grow a pair and be a leader in your sport and curb this. You guys will be better off evaluating recruits until they are juniors (just my suggestion) for their skill and better maturity to handle this. Early recruiting isn't entirely everybody else's fault -- pushy parents, prep coaches, club coaches showcase guys. It is partially the college coaches fault because at bottom they control the allocation of the opportunities. I personally find that level of hypocrisy very tiresome now and it is time for those guys to reform.

Excellent point! Wonder what percentage of 9/10th grade verbals change their mind by senior year? Or how many universities rescind their verbal? How can a 14/15 year old know where they want to spent 4 years of there life so far down the road? Anyone with experience on this?

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
I heard Dukes coach talk about this. They all wish the NCAA would stop it. They cant do it themselbes. If Duke stops but Maryland and NC does not, they will lock up the best players and Duke will be lookin for a new coach. . The only ones that benefit are the smaller schools who may benefit from a late bloomer who come son the scene late.

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
I heard Dukes coach talk about this. They all wish the NCAA would stop it. They cant do it themselbes. If Duke stops but Maryland and NC does not, they will lock up the best players and Duke will be lookin for a new coach. . The only ones that benefit are the smaller schools who may benefit from a late bloomer who come son the scene late.

When we get through a cycle or two of the freshman HS recruits, my guess is we will have more Pannells than studs. Huge projection risk with recruiting early - we've all seen it, the big skilled kid isn't as dominant when the big and skill evens out as they grow.

Other interesting aspect is decommits by kids - who are in control of all of this. If I really, really want to go to Harvard, and will have the grades, but they wont really look at me until sophomore year - do I commit to Maryland / Penn State / Michigan / Syracuse / Etc - then flip when I am offered by an ivy?

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

Excellent point! Wonder what percentage of 9/10th grade verbals change their mind by senior year? Or how many universities rescind their verbal? How can a 14/15 year old know where they want to spent 4 years of there life so far down the road? Anyone with experience on this?

Colleges do not recind verbals, except in very rare incidences. It is still the minority of kids who decommit either because the can't make grades, or they have better grades and are able to go to a higher caliber school

Like Reply Quote
BOTC GIRLS BOTC BOY Sponsored Links
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

Dom also came out last year about how he was "sick to his stomach" being on the sidelines recruiting 9th graders" and took a 9th grader within a day or two of his statement. Talks out of both sides of his mouth. UVA has enough issues of their own that they should be focusing on.

You are so right. Hypocrisy at its best!

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
The NCAA has shown they have no issues going well beyond their "core values of fairness, safety and equal opportunity for all student-athletes." by imposing penalties for criminal infractions and other absurd activities conducted by athletes/coaches unrelated to fairness & safety. Actually, in the interest of the NCAA's core value of "fairness" to the student athletes, the NCAA should limit the recruiting windows to the times when athletes are on a common ground of semi-equal maturity at the senior or at least junior year to be awarded scholarships.

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
The NCAA has shown they have no issues going well beyond their "core values of fairness, safety and equal opportunity for all student-athletes." by imposing penalties for criminal infractions and other absurd activities conducted by athletes/coaches unrelated to fairness & safety. Actually, in the interest of the NCAA's core value of "fairness" to the student athletes, the NCAA should limit the recruiting windows to the times when athletes are on a common ground of semi-equal maturity at the senior or at least junior year to be awarded scholarships.

That is the most lucid and intelligent lacrosse comment ever. Thank you and amen. Someone send this to Ty Xanders, Jamie Munro and the other cheerleaders and the NCAA. It is time to take the youth game back and return it to the kids. Let this be competitive but also let this be healthy, safe and fun for the kids. Their lives are long like ours but their youth is brief. We owe this to the kids.

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

He calls 91, Express, Dukes, Crabs etc... and asks the directors to send their top 9th grade kids to his prospect camps.

Check UVA Roster, I bet 75-80% of the kids come out of Private Schools and the others come from Publics located in affluent communities.

He is one of the Top 5 early recruiters.

Look at what he does do not listen to what he says.

I think he is full of S---.

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

He calls 91, Express, Dukes, Crabs etc... and asks the directors to send their top 9th grade kids to his prospect camps.

Check UVA Roster, I bet 75-80% of the kids come out of Private Schools and the others come from Publics located in affluent communities.

He is one of the Top 5 early recruiters.

Look at what he does do not listen to what he says.

I think he is full of S---.

I agree what a bunch of BS UVA notoriously recruits young and who is committing young ?? All the top programs with the top kids

Like Reply Quote
Back of THE CAGE
OP Offline
Back of THE CAGE
Wow, I don't have a player on the boys' side and was unaware of Starsia other than the article. It sure does seem that he says one thing and does another. SMH

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

That is the most lucid and intelligent lacrosse comment ever. Thank you and amen. Someone send this to Ty Xanders, Jamie Munro and the other cheerleaders and the NCAA. It is time to take the youth game back and return it to the kids. Let this be competitive but also let this be healthy, safe and fun for the kids. Their lives are long like ours but their youth is brief. We owe this to the kids.

Maybe Dom should be coming out and complaining about his former player Jamie Munro advocating for "re-classification" of 8th grade boys. Jamie held his own son back to get a competitive advantage. Is Dom OK with that? Such a bunch of bulls..t. Call it what is it is - cheating, gaming the system, holding a kid back - let's be honest here. Re-Classification is just a term these guys came up with to make themselves feel better about their really bad decision.

Where is Dom's stance on this? Where is his open letter?

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
I am giving up drinking this Cool Aid from NCAA laceosse coaches. They seem to always have something to say which does not comport at all with what they do. As a UVa alum, I like Dom but the jokes around Charlottesville to be careful to educate your kids about taking candy and getting into a car with a lacrosse coach are pretty unfunny to me because they are so close to true now. I think for now UVa lacrosse should focus more on their own program and keeping their players out of repeated trouble.

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
If they don't win they get fired. Simple truth.

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

Would love to see how many of these athletes they are "locking up early" fizzle out in their college career. We have yet to really see the effects of these early commits with early burn out. There has definitely been a lot more de-committing these days as kids are way too young to be making these decisions. Every recruiting talk we have ever been to coaches talk about how upset they are with having to look at such young players yet they all turn around and commit them. Would someone get a set of balls and set a lead example. I am sure if a few take the lead the rest will follow!!

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
This is Starsia's contract year and he's basically done at UVa. He is a very likeable guy but his program has been declining while player problems are rising. He has been urged by people close to the program to curb early recruiting and to stop recruiting from a few notorious prep schools who have fed the kids who cause trouble in recent years. UVa lacrosse has not made it through a school year without serious player offenses for over 10 yearsincluding fall two kids were booted out of UVa for Honor Code cheating offenses. Dom nods and agrees and then he goes and does it some more and says the stubbornness is needed to stay competitive. That rings hollow when you have it your way and can't win.

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Starsia......Hahahahaha

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
If you are recruiting 8th graders then expect families and clubs to start grooming the kids to recruiting polished starting in 6th grade. Talk to any club coach and they will tell you player development needs to be far along by 8th grade in a sport that commits kids based on summer after 8th grade and the fall of 9th grade. Sure that stokes the money grab but it isn't misleading advice. NCAA coaches preaching the balance of multiple sport athletes are recruiting so early that they themselves are at fault for kids not playing other seasonal sports in their middle school years. There is also enough scientific evidence that youth single sport training focus raises tissue and other overuse injury rates, saying nothing of mental burnout. So while the moral debate on early recruiting ethics rages we at least know this trend is harmful to the health of boys.

Like Reply Quote
Back of THE CAGE
OP Offline
Back of THE CAGE
If you are recruiting 8th graders then expect families and clubs to start grooming the kids to recruiting polished starting in 6th grade. Talk to any club coach and they will tell you player development needs to be far along by 8th grade in a sport that commits kids based on summer after 8th grade and the fall of 9th grade. Sure that stokes the money grab but it isn't misleading advice. NCAA coaches preaching the balance of multiple sport athletes are recruiting so early that they themselves are at fault for kids not playing other seasonal sports in their middle school years. There is also enough scientific evidence that youth single sport training focus raises tissue and other overuse injury rates, saying nothing of mental burnout. So while the moral debate on early recruiting ethics rages we at least know this trend is harmful to the health of boys.

And girls.

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
With kids deciding on colleges before they get in HS people have to prepare in 7/8 grade which is crazy

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

I want someone to do an analysis of this early recruiting and the transfer rate. 9th graders choosing colleges, when they have absolutely no idea about what they might major in, whether a large or small school is the best fit, whether that coaching staff might still be there in 4 years, if they are still a fit for that school by their senior year, whether or not they will get any playing time. I think this early recruiting suits the college coaches and more importantly the parents who want proven that the tens of thousand of dollars spent on club teams has been a good investment. The answer to that question is not going to be revealed in 9th grade, but when "little Johnny" is holding his college diploma, most likely from a school that wasn't the one that secured him as a high school underclassman.

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

I want someone to do an analysis of this early recruiting and the transfer rate. 9th graders choosing colleges, when they have absolutely no idea about what they might major in, whether a large or small school is the best fit, whether that coaching staff might still be there in 4 years, if they are still a fit for that school by their senior year, whether or not they will get any playing time. I think this early recruiting suits the college coaches and more importantly the parents who want proven that the tens of thousand of dollars spent on club teams has been a good investment. The answer to that question is not going to be revealed in 9th grade, but when "little Johnny" is holding his college diploma, most likely from a school that wasn't the one that secured him as a high school underclassman.

Sounds like a job for http://24sevenlax.com.

Like Reply Quote
Quick Reply

Options
HTML is disabled
UBBCode is enabled
CAPTCHA Verification

Link Copied to Clipboard