The LI Blue Chip Camp is Now Accepting Registration For Girl's in 7th-11th Grade - Limited Spots Available!

BACK OF THE CAGE
MOST RECENT POSTS
Boys 2023 - 7th Grade Fall 2017/Summer 2018
by Anonymous. 06/18/18 10:33 PM
Boys 2026 - 4th Grade Fall 2017/Summer 2018
by Anonymous. 06/18/18 10:18 PM
Boys 2022 - 8th Grade Fall 2017/Summer 2018
by Anonymous. 06/18/18 10:12 PM
Boys 2024 - 6th Grade Fall 2017/Summer 2018
by Anonymous. 06/18/18 10:09 PM
Westchester NY Youth Lacrosse
by Anonymous. 06/18/18 10:05 PM
Girls 2021 - 9th Grade Fall 2017/Summer 2018
by Anonymous. 06/18/18 09:15 PM
Girls 2023 - 7th Grade Fall 2017/Summer 2018
by Anonymous. 06/18/18 09:01 PM
Forum Statistics
Forums16
Topics1,458
Posts228,799
Members1,959
Most Online3,796
Oct 23rd, 2017
SUBSCRIBE


FOLLOW US ON TWITTER
Previous Thread
Next Thread
New Reply
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
Lacrosse Mag article about club lacrosse #96845
11/26/14 05:12 PM
11/26/14 05:12 PM
Joined: Apr 2011
Posts: 881
Suffolk County
P
Powderfinger Online content OP
Back of THE CAGE
Powderfinger  Online Content OP
Back of THE CAGE
P
Joined: Apr 2011
Posts: 881
Suffolk County

Reply Quote
BACK OF THE CAGE SPONSORS

Re: Lacrosse Mag article about club lacrosse [Re: Powderfinger] #96851
11/26/14 05:58 PM
11/26/14 05:58 PM

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A


Excellent article..

Reply Quote
Re: Lacrosse Mag article about club lacrosse [Re: Powderfinger] #96855
11/26/14 06:11 PM
11/26/14 06:11 PM

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A




What do you think he means by "an 11-year-old boy should be able to play with his buddies in a lacrosse event that may fall outside the parameters of his club commitment."?

Is he saying that kids should still play Rec along with Club?

Or is he saying the "old rec team" should be allowed to get together for a tournament or two?





Reply Quote
Re: Lacrosse Mag article about club lacrosse [Re: Anonymous] #96858
11/26/14 06:33 PM
11/26/14 06:33 PM
Joined: Apr 2011
Posts: 881
Suffolk County
P
Powderfinger Online content OP
Back of THE CAGE
Powderfinger  Online Content OP
Back of THE CAGE
P
Joined: Apr 2011
Posts: 881
Suffolk County
Originally Posted by Anonymous


What do you think he means by "an 11-year-old boy should be able to play with his buddies in a lacrosse event that may fall outside the parameters of his club commitment."?

Is he saying that kids should still play Rec along with Club?

Or is he saying the "old rec team" should be allowed to get together for a tournament or two?






I took it as a kid should still play rec. IME, rec clubs don't do a lot of tournaments, but then again I'm not from a strong-red town so my experience may not reflect the wider lacrosse communtiy's experiences.

What I like is he's pretty clear that your HS team and experience are important. I'm thinking specifically of playoffs which can conflict with the tournament season and sometimes kids have to choose.

Reply Quote
Re: Lacrosse Mag article about club lacrosse [Re: Anonymous] #96859
11/26/14 06:34 PM
11/26/14 06:34 PM

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A


Originally Posted by Anonymous


What do you think he means by "an 11-year-old boy should be able to play with his buddies in a lacrosse event that may fall outside the parameters of his club commitment."?

Is he saying that kids should still play Rec along with Club?

Or is he saying the "old rec team" should be allowed to get together for a tournament or two?



Dom also came out last year about how he was "sick to his stomach" being on the sidelines recruiting 9th graders" and took a 9th grader within a day or two of his statement. Talks out of both sides of his mouth. UVA has enough issues of their own that they should be focusing on.

Reply Quote
Sponsored Links
Re: Lacrosse Mag article about club lacrosse [Re: Powderfinger] #96862
11/26/14 06:40 PM
11/26/14 06:40 PM

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A


I find the comments to be more on spot than the article. I like Starsia but much of what he ambles through he and other coaches validate through their behavior. Having gone through the recruiting process with our son who is now a sophomore I am still quite astonished these recruiting cycles wind up when these kids have barely played out fall ball in their 10th grade year. Parents chasing elite clubs for their kids to play on is sensible and is overtly encouraged by the recruiters. Look at where commits come from: a concentrated group of elite clubs and elite prep schools. I have been to a lot of tournaments and have never seen a college coach make a point of doing anything but flocking to see the good teams on this predictable list. Kids are dropping out of other sports to focus on lacrosse too early because recruiting is too early and that is the fault of the college coaches who control the inventory of D1 opportunities having it that way. Starsia is on point with his concern. If your little Johnny doesn't go to showcases and prospect days in abundance at many thousands of dollars a year over club fees, then little Johnny may just be prejudiced out of the looks needed to get an opportunity at the schools he aims for. Yes, lacrosse remains a rich kid sport that dilutes merits Starsia tries to celebrate in what he wrote for as long as that remains the status quo.

I am amazed this has run amok so far and this early recruiting hysteria has not been curbed. It appears to be a game for the sake of gamesmanship and just absorbs so much out of the kids emotionally to be social media addicts on who is getting shout outs or committed and to be public figures themselves. Lacrosse has one problem noted which is the high costs associated with clubs + showcases + prospect camps none of which is focused on player development of skills, and also has another in that the sport really is no fun anymore for kids in 7th grade or so up. My younger son is not going to be a recruit, we know it and he knows it, and moreover he just likes to play to have fun. Already he seems more detached from enjoyment of his club because this is the age where the daddies and the club operatives start going crazy and it permeates down to the kids.

Hey Starsia, nice article. Now grow a pair and be a leader in your sport and curb this. You guys will be better off evaluating recruits until they are juniors (just my suggestion) for their skill and better maturity to handle this. Early recruiting isn't entirely everybody else's fault -- pushy parents, prep coaches, club coaches showcase guys. It is partially the college coaches fault because at bottom they control the allocation of the opportunities. I personally find that level of hypocrisy very tiresome now and it is time for those guys to reform.

Reply Quote
Re: Lacrosse Mag article about club lacrosse [Re: Anonymous] #96872
11/26/14 07:06 PM
11/26/14 07:06 PM

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A


Originally Posted by Anonymous
I find the comments to be more on spot than the article. I like Starsia but much of what he ambles through he and other coaches validate through their behavior. Having gone through the recruiting process with our son who is now a sophomore I am still quite astonished these recruiting cycles wind up when these kids have barely played out fall ball in their 10th grade year. Parents chasing elite clubs for their kids to play on is sensible and is overtly encouraged by the recruiters. Look at where commits come from: a concentrated group of elite clubs and elite prep schools. I have been to a lot of tournaments and have never seen a college coach make a point of doing anything but flocking to see the good teams on this predictable list. Kids are dropping out of other sports to focus on lacrosse too early because recruiting is too early and that is the fault of the college coaches who control the inventory of D1 opportunities having it that way. Starsia is on point with his concern. If your little Johnny doesn't go to showcases and prospect days in abundance at many thousands of dollars a year over club fees, then little Johnny may just be prejudiced out of the looks needed to get an opportunity at the schools he aims for. Yes, lacrosse remains a rich kid sport that dilutes merits Starsia tries to celebrate in what he wrote for as long as that remains the status quo.

I am amazed this has run amok so far and this early recruiting hysteria has not been curbed. It appears to be a game for the sake of gamesmanship and just absorbs so much out of the kids emotionally to be social media addicts on who is getting shout outs or committed and to be public figures themselves. Lacrosse has one problem noted which is the high costs associated with clubs + showcases + prospect camps none of which is focused on player development of skills, and also has another in that the sport really is no fun anymore for kids in 7th grade or so up. My younger son is not going to be a recruit, we know it and he knows it, and moreover he just likes to play to have fun. Already he seems more detached from enjoyment of his club because this is the age where the daddies and the club operatives start going crazy and it permeates down to the kids.

Hey Starsia, nice article. Now grow a pair and be a leader in your sport and curb this. You guys will be better off evaluating recruits until they are juniors (just my suggestion) for their skill and better maturity to handle this. Early recruiting isn't entirely everybody else's fault -- pushy parents, prep coaches, club coaches showcase guys. It is partially the college coaches fault because at bottom they control the allocation of the opportunities. I personally find that level of hypocrisy very tiresome now and it is time for those guys to reform.


Excellent point! Wonder what percentage of 9/10th grade verbals change their mind by senior year? Or how many universities rescind their verbal? How can a 14/15 year old know where they want to spent 4 years of there life so far down the road? Anyone with experience on this?

Reply Quote
Re: Lacrosse Mag article about club lacrosse [Re: Anonymous] #96874
11/26/14 07:14 PM
11/26/14 07:14 PM

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A


I heard Dukes coach talk about this. They all wish the NCAA would stop it. They cant do it themselbes. If Duke stops but Maryland and NC does not, they will lock up the best players and Duke will be lookin for a new coach. . The only ones that benefit are the smaller schools who may benefit from a late bloomer who come son the scene late.

Reply Quote
Re: Lacrosse Mag article about club lacrosse [Re: Anonymous] #96881
11/26/14 08:22 PM
11/26/14 08:22 PM

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A


Originally Posted by Anonymous
I heard Dukes coach talk about this. They all wish the NCAA would stop it. They cant do it themselbes. If Duke stops but Maryland and NC does not, they will lock up the best players and Duke will be lookin for a new coach. . The only ones that benefit are the smaller schools who may benefit from a late bloomer who come son the scene late.


When we get through a cycle or two of the freshman HS recruits, my guess is we will have more Pannells than studs. Huge projection risk with recruiting early - we've all seen it, the big skilled kid isn't as dominant when the big and skill evens out as they grow.

Other interesting aspect is decommits by kids - who are in control of all of this. If I really, really want to go to Harvard, and will have the grades, but they wont really look at me until sophomore year - do I commit to Maryland / Penn State / Michigan / Syracuse / Etc - then flip when I am offered by an ivy?

Reply Quote
Re: Lacrosse Mag article about club lacrosse [Re: Anonymous] #96884
11/26/14 08:45 PM
11/26/14 08:45 PM

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A


Originally Posted by Anonymous
Originally Posted by Anonymous
I find the comments to be more on spot than the article. I like Starsia but much of what he ambles through he and other coaches validate through their behavior. Having gone through the recruiting process with our son who is now a sophomore I am still quite astonished these recruiting cycles wind up when these kids have barely played out fall ball in their 10th grade year. Parents chasing elite clubs for their kids to play on is sensible and is overtly encouraged by the recruiters. Look at where commits come from: a concentrated group of elite clubs and elite prep schools. I have been to a lot of tournaments and have never seen a college coach make a point of doing anything but flocking to see the good teams on this predictable list. Kids are dropping out of other sports to focus on lacrosse too early because recruiting is too early and that is the fault of the college coaches who control the inventory of D1 opportunities having it that way. Starsia is on point with his concern. If your little Johnny doesn't go to showcases and prospect days in abundance at many thousands of dollars a year over club fees, then little Johnny may just be prejudiced out of the looks needed to get an opportunity at the schools he aims for. Yes, lacrosse remains a rich kid sport that dilutes merits Starsia tries to celebrate in what he wrote for as long as that remains the status quo.

I am amazed this has run amok so far and this early recruiting hysteria has not been curbed. It appears to be a game for the sake of gamesmanship and just absorbs so much out of the kids emotionally to be social media addicts on who is getting shout outs or committed and to be public figures themselves. Lacrosse has one problem noted which is the high costs associated with clubs + showcases + prospect camps none of which is focused on player development of skills, and also has another in that the sport really is no fun anymore for kids in 7th grade or so up. My younger son is not going to be a recruit, we know it and he knows it, and moreover he just likes to play to have fun. Already he seems more detached from enjoyment of his club because this is the age where the daddies and the club operatives start going crazy and it permeates down to the kids.

Hey Starsia, nice article. Now grow a pair and be a leader in your sport and curb this. You guys will be better off evaluating recruits until they are juniors (just my suggestion) for their skill and better maturity to handle this. Early recruiting isn't entirely everybody else's fault -- pushy parents, prep coaches, club coaches showcase guys. It is partially the college coaches fault because at bottom they control the allocation of the opportunities. I personally find that level of hypocrisy very tiresome now and it is time for those guys to reform.


Excellent point! Wonder what percentage of 9/10th grade verbals change their mind by senior year? Or how many universities rescind their verbal? How can a 14/15 year old know where they want to spent 4 years of there life so far down the road? Anyone with experience on this?


Colleges do not recind verbals, except in very rare incidences. It is still the minority of kids who decommit either because the can't make grades, or they have better grades and are able to go to a higher caliber school

Reply Quote
Sponsored Links
Re: Lacrosse Mag article about club lacrosse [Re: Anonymous] #96885
11/26/14 09:08 PM
11/26/14 09:08 PM

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A


Originally Posted by Anonymous
Originally Posted by Anonymous


What do you think he means by "an 11-year-old boy should be able to play with his buddies in a lacrosse event that may fall outside the parameters of his club commitment."?

Is he saying that kids should still play Rec along with Club?

Or is he saying the "old rec team" should be allowed to get together for a tournament or two?



Dom also came out last year about how he was "sick to his stomach" being on the sidelines recruiting 9th graders" and took a 9th grader within a day or two of his statement. Talks out of both sides of his mouth. UVA has enough issues of their own that they should be focusing on.


You are so right. Hypocrisy at its best!

Reply Quote
Re: Lacrosse Mag article about club lacrosse [Re: Powderfinger] #96897
11/26/14 11:24 PM
11/26/14 11:24 PM

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A


The NCAA has shown they have no issues going well beyond their "core values of fairness, safety and equal opportunity for all student-athletes." by imposing penalties for criminal infractions and other absurd activities conducted by athletes/coaches unrelated to fairness & safety. Actually, in the interest of the NCAA's core value of "fairness" to the student athletes, the NCAA should limit the recruiting windows to the times when athletes are on a common ground of semi-equal maturity at the senior or at least junior year to be awarded scholarships.

Reply Quote
Re: Lacrosse Mag article about club lacrosse [Re: Anonymous] #96909
11/27/14 08:12 AM
11/27/14 08:12 AM

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A


Originally Posted by Anonymous
The NCAA has shown they have no issues going well beyond their "core values of fairness, safety and equal opportunity for all student-athletes." by imposing penalties for criminal infractions and other absurd activities conducted by athletes/coaches unrelated to fairness & safety. Actually, in the interest of the NCAA's core value of "fairness" to the student athletes, the NCAA should limit the recruiting windows to the times when athletes are on a common ground of semi-equal maturity at the senior or at least junior year to be awarded scholarships.


That is the most lucid and intelligent lacrosse comment ever. Thank you and amen. Someone send this to Ty Xanders, Jamie Munro and the other cheerleaders and the NCAA. It is time to take the youth game back and return it to the kids. Let this be competitive but also let this be healthy, safe and fun for the kids. Their lives are long like ours but their youth is brief. We owe this to the kids.

Reply Quote
Re: Lacrosse Mag article about club lacrosse [Re: Powderfinger] #96923
11/27/14 10:57 AM
11/27/14 10:57 AM

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A




He calls 91, Express, Dukes, Crabs etc... and asks the directors to send their top 9th grade kids to his prospect camps.

Check UVA Roster, I bet 75-80% of the kids come out of Private Schools and the others come from Publics located in affluent communities.

He is one of the Top 5 early recruiters.

Look at what he does do not listen to what he says.

I think he is full of S---.

Reply Quote
Re: Lacrosse Mag article about club lacrosse [Re: Anonymous] #96926
11/27/14 11:38 AM
11/27/14 11:38 AM

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A


Originally Posted by Anonymous


He calls 91, Express, Dukes, Crabs etc... and asks the directors to send their top 9th grade kids to his prospect camps.

Check UVA Roster, I bet 75-80% of the kids come out of Private Schools and the others come from Publics located in affluent communities.



He is one of the Top 5 early recruiters.

Look at what he does do not listen to what he says.



I think he is full of S---.


I agree what a bunch of BS UVA notoriously recruits young and who is committing young ?? All the top programs with the top kids

Reply Quote
Page 1 of 2 1 2
Quick Reply

Options
HTML is disabled
UBBCode is enabled
CAPTCHA Verification



TOURNAMENTS/SHOWCASES
Harding Summer Sunset
PrimeTime Shootout
Bulldog Brawl
King of the Hill
Lake George National Invitational
Virginia Lacrosse Showcase
Blatant Exposure
Boy's UnD1sputed Showcase
Girl's LI Showcase
Boy's LI Showcase
CAMPS & CLINICS
LI Blue Chip Camp
BC Eagle Elite Lacrosse Clinics
Red & White Elite Summer Camps
Just 4 Girls Summer Lacrosse Camp
Lax Clinics at The Athlete Zone
Primetime Elite Overnight Camp
Prospect Experience
Boys Box Lax Summer Camp
Girls Box Lax Summer Camp
Boys Futures Showcase Camp
Girls Futures Showcase Camp
RECRUITING COMPANY'S
ConnectLax
Everest Lax Recruiting
BOTC SPONSORS




Powered by UBB.threads™ PHP Forum Software 7.6.1.1
(Release build 20180111)
Page Time: 0.035s Queries: 16 (0.005s) Memory: 1.1285 MB (Peak: 1.7787 MB) Zlib enabled. Server Time: 2018-06-19 04:31:23 UTC