A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Originally Posted by Anonymous
Edge should just be evaluated for what they are: a team that is a year older than the divisions they are currently permitted to enter. So 2020 Edge should be welcome at any tournament.....provided they take their rightful place in the 2019 division and so on and so forth for all their teams. Given how they advertise their program on their own website I don't see how they could be surprised. Nor, as an attorney, do I think that tournamant directors would be absolved of liability if an Edge kid seriously hurt someone. Even a passing view of the Edge website site reveals their philosophy so it will be tough for any director to claim ignorance. Presumably there is some basic due diligence associated with hosting a tournament. Somebody will get hurt, a lawsuit will follow, and then maybe people who currently look the other way will start paying serious attention.

If you feel Edge should do that ok. What about the US teams ? Are they dismissed because they only have some on the teams that do it ? Let's not be hypocritical here. Every team is doing it now. Whether it's the whole team or just a few.

There is a very important difference. Edge Lacrosse signs up entire teams in younger divisions as their program policy. When you play teams that have a few kids how were reclassified its the decision of the parents. Additionally, the Edge Lacrosse program is registering teams in younger brackets based on an assumption that all of the players will play a post graduation year and basing the registration on that year. Individual reclassified kids are being moved in school to the lower grad year now. In my mind, these two points differentiate the two scenarios and frankly, its not even debatable.

Like Reply Quote
BACK OF THE CAGE SPONSORS

Re: Age Verification
GoodSport #96591 11/25/14 01:31 PM
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
The fact is that most of the parents that complain about the holdbacks say it's about safety but in reality it's about the older kids dominating on the field and getting the better recruiting options.

Just be honest and say that you don't like older kids taking away precious D1 spots from your kid.

Like Reply Quote
GoodSport #96593 11/25/14 01:35 PM
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
I don't look at this thread or yourself as whining. You have an educated civilized approach. It's the person who cap locks and writes d bag cheaters. They are going about it all wrong. IMO. There's peaceful protest and then there's the people who burn and loot. I have no symphathy and they just annoy me. There's a wrong and a right way.

Like Reply Quote
GoodSport #96594 11/25/14 01:40 PM
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Here is another way to look at it, if the Edge players reclassed and repeated 8th grade (like US players are doing), when they are in 9th grade they should "actually" be in 10th grade, correct? Their website plainly states that they are looking for 9th graders to play on their 8th grade team. Those 9th graders are "actually" 10th graders. That is where I have a problem. To take it one step further, if the parents held the boys back in kindergarten (like a lot of people do), he is "actually" an 11th grader, playing against 8th graders, give me a break.

Like Reply Quote
GoodSport #96604 11/25/14 02:07 PM
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
in Canada you cant hold your kid back for kindergarten and a quarter of the kids start school a year early as the school system is Jan-Dec unlike USA that is Sept-Aug. You are misinformed on Canadian school system.

Like Reply Quote
Sponsored Links
Anonymous #96606 11/25/14 02:13 PM
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
The fact is that most of the parents that complain about the holdbacks say it's about safety but in reality it's about the older kids dominating on the field and getting the better recruiting options.

Just be honest and say that you don't like older kids taking away precious D1 spots from your kid.

Your truly do not get it. It is not about the D1 spots (although I suspect it is for you). It is about showing up at a tournament with kids 11 to 13 years old and playing in brackets with kids 14 and 15 year olds. Not so bad for the 13 year old playing against a 14 year old, but quite a problem when the 15 year old goes after the 11 year old in a game setting. When that happens it is not a game, but a bad and dangerous (yes dangerous) farce.

Like Reply Quote
Anonymous #96619 11/25/14 03:12 PM
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
As a parent, I want the ability to make decisions about my son's safety. We do it every day, why not in sports. If someone asks my son to play up, I am making the conscious decision to allow him to play with/against older kids and accept the risk. It seems Edge Lacrosse is playing teams that believe them to be 2019 (13 year olds) when in fact they are at least one year older. The deception creates a situation that does not allow me as a parent to make an informed decision about my son playing against older kids, an inherently more dangerous endeavor.

Does anyone know how the parents of the injured 2019 player has responded? Have they posted on the board?

This practice needs to stop. Let everyone play straight up and see where your kid ranks. Gaming the system only puts kids...they are just kids... in jeopardy.

Like Reply Quote
GoodSport #96634 11/25/14 04:21 PM
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
For anyone concerned about this issue, please contact US Lacrosse and voice your opinion - http://www.uslacrosse.org/about-us-lacrosse/contact-us.aspx

If you don't speak up, nothing will be done.

Like Reply Quote
Anonymous #96667 11/25/14 08:02 PM
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

Your truly do not get it. It is not about the D1 spots (although I suspect it is for you). It is about showing up at a tournament with kids 11 to 13 years old and playing in brackets with kids 14 and 15 year olds. Not so bad for the 13 year old playing against a 14 year old, but quite a problem when the 15 year old goes after the 11 year old in a game setting. When that happens it is not a game, but a bad and dangerous (yes dangerous) farce.

Well said. For the parents of middle schoolers this is all about safety. Any parent who has been on the receiving end of this nonsense knows the gut wrenching feeling when their kid is being knocked around by kids a full helmet taller.

Like Reply Quote
GoodSport #96669 11/25/14 08:19 PM
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Unfortunately, seems as nothing will ever be done

Like Reply Quote
Sponsored Links
Anonymous #96672 11/25/14 09:08 PM
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

under what scenario are 11 yr olds playing against 15 yr olds even with grade based events? Are suggesting kids are being held back 3 times? exaggerating to make a point weakens the argument.

perhaps grade based tournaments should also have an age limit, ie to play in 2020 they have to be born after june 1, 2001, that would accommodate "reasonable" holdbacks. so the oldest and youngest would be 18 months apart...

Like Reply Quote
GoodSport #96736 11/26/14 09:10 AM
Back of THE CAGE
Back of THE CAGE
It needs to be done by age group and dob
example
girls or boys U-11 have to be born in 2004
it's simple
if your left back sorry but athletics should not be your top priority and if your parents puy you in school late your playing on grade

I just heard of a youth wrestler in 6th grade who is a youth state champ his parents are attempting yo have repeat grade so he can get his weight up and have more years on varsity

Like Reply Quote
GoodSport #96756 11/26/14 10:33 AM
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
RE: age verification

(I transferred this from another thread as I feel it may be of help to some...fwiw; our plan resulted in a top 5 2017 commit for an age appropriate player.)

We've been down this road so many times...

Yes it is deplorable that re-classed kids must use a younger venue to be able to become visible for recruiting purposes.

It's not going away anytime soon.

The only immediate solution is for dads of younger than 2017/2018 to get as much additional training as possible. Showing up for practice is not going to be enough.

Do what we did: invest in the best private coaching you can for your sons position.
Invest in an early age appropriate private conditioning program with a personal trainer.

Get him on the best team he can qualify for where he has a realistic chance of starting or at least get even playing time (those clubs are out there)

Maintain strict academic standards. No high grades = no lax or other sports. It's a privilege, not a right to play.

Look for any signs of stress. It's supposed to be fun. If it's not; find out why and try to work towards a solution.

Let him find his way; don't push.

Be 100% supportive; win or lose.

If he's good; he will kick the butts on the older kids who have to play down. Typically, their skill sets don't match their physical maturity advantage (why would they be playing down instead of with their peers?) and are easy prey for good players.

Be positive.

Like Reply Quote
Anonymous #96867 11/26/14 06:49 PM
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
All of the Edge Players on 2019 were born in 2000. Get over yourself

Like Reply Quote
Anonymous #96870 11/26/14 06:55 PM
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
edge 2019 all played bantam box lacrosse last summer which includes age verification. Bantam Box in 2014 was for players born in 2001 and 2000. A slight exaggeration saying these kids are in grade 10. NONE of them are over the age of 14

Like Reply Quote
Page 14 of 65 1 2 12 13 14 15 16 64 65
Quick Reply

Options
HTML is disabled
UBBCode is enabled

Link Copied to Clipboard