BOTC BOTC
The UnD1sputed Showcase (Boys & Girls) in June & the Girls LI Showcase is Open for Registration on CBLaxers.com - Don't Miss Out as 88 Players Only Accepted! | Invest for Growth - ADVERTISE with us!
BOTC GIRLS BOTC BOY BACK OF THE CAGE
BOTC GIRLS BOTC BOY MOST RECENT POSTS
Boys High School Lax
by Anonymous -
Girls High School Lax
by Anonymous -
BOTC GIRLS BOTC BOY Forum Statistics
Forums20
Topics3,802
Posts385,545
Members2,606
Most Online62,980
Feb 6th, 2020
BOTC GIRLS BOTC BOY FOLLOW US ON TWITTER
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 27 of 52 1 2 25 26 27 28 29 51 52
Re: Boys 2018 Fall 2014/Summer 2015
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Originally Posted by Anonymous
Real Question.

My son was asked by a D1 College to come to the school for an official visit. What are some of the do's and don'ts that I should be aware of? I am new to this so I wanted to get some good advice. Thanks

unofficial visit, you can not do an official visit until senior year. parents stay in the background, they want to get to know the kid, the parent should be seen and not heard (ironic) the kid should have some questions about academic programs what his interests are and he should know a little about the lacrosse history as well as familiarize himself about the coaching staff, read the bio's, know where they played in college ect. you might want to impress a coach by how much you love his school by saying you would never go to X school and turns out the assistant coach went to X school.

I have been on a few of these unofficial visits with mine and I have found that because these kids are so young, coaches spent a lot of time asking questions of him about our family. Also spent a lot of time asking us parents about our family.

I also asked a ton of questions and wound up spending a few hours with several coaches. Unlike poster above, I was told it was very refreshing and one of the reasons they wanted (more than one school) my son was the amount of concern we exhibited by the questions we asked. Coach went as far as telling us that he appreciated us because most people don't ask anything...they sit in the background.

How can a parent be serious about verbally committing their kid at 14 if they don't ask a ton of questions--real questions--

It worked for us and we took one of the early offers. I can't tell you what to do, but I suggest you are very engaged and don't just stay in the background. That might be the right approach for an 11th grader, but for a 2018, I needed to be comfortable first, its my kid...

What questions did you ask?

BOTC GIRLS BOTC BOY BACK OF THE CAGE SPONSORS

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Real Question.

My son was asked by a D1 College to come to the school for an official visit. What are some of the do's and don'ts that I should be aware of? I am new to this so I wanted to get some good advice. Thanks

unofficial visit, you can not do an official visit until senior year. parents stay in the background, they want to get to know the kid, the parent should be seen and not heard (ironic) the kid should have some questions about academic programs what his interests are and he should know a little about the lacrosse history as well as familiarize himself about the coaching staff, read the bio's, know where they played in college ect. you might want to impress a coach by how much you love his school by saying you would never go to X school and turns out the assistant coach went to X school.

I have been on a few of these unofficial visits with mine and I have found that because these kids are so young, coaches spent a lot of time asking questions of him about our family. Also spent a lot of time asking us parents about our family.

I also asked a ton of questions and wound up spending a few hours with several coaches. Unlike poster above, I was told it was very refreshing and one of the reasons they wanted (more than one school) my son was the amount of concern we exhibited by the questions we asked. Coach went as far as telling us that he appreciated us because most people don't ask anything...they sit in the background.

How can a parent be serious about verbally committing their kid at 14 if they don't ask a ton of questions--real questions--

It worked for us and we took one of the early offers. I can't tell you what to do, but I suggest you are very engaged and don't just stay in the background. That might be the right approach for an 11th grader, but for a 2018, I needed to be comfortable first, its my kid...

Academic requirements and expectations, study hall mandate?-tutor availability, help scheduling classes (at one school a coach actually said pre-med would be tough because lots of labs scheduled when they practice), team expectations and time commitment, monitoring of after hours activities--do the boys run wild?, coach's long term plans, living arrangements, ...the list goes on. I asked everything I thought I needed to know to make sure my boy would be in good hands and have the best opportunity to get the highest education possible all while balancing lax. Coaches were all very honest and up front.

We loved all the schools, but some coaches were better and more in line with my fam expectations...

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Great information.

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Real Question.

Academic requirements and expectations, study hall mandate?-tutor availability, help scheduling classes (at one school a coach actually said pre-med would be tough because lots of labs scheduled when they practice), team expectations and time commitment, monitoring of after hours activities--do the boys run wild?, coach's long term plans, living arrangements, ...the list goes on. I asked everything I thought I needed to know to make sure my boy would be in good hands and have the best opportunity to get the highest education possible all while balancing lax. Coaches were all very honest and up front.

We loved all the schools, but some coaches were better and more in line with my fam expectations...

Let's all be more realistic about Lacrosse and college....

http://www.[lacrosse]/lacrosse.html

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
NH Tomahawks beat Terps and beat Clams 15-3. Also tied Extreme.

BOTC GIRLS BOTC BOY Sponsored Links
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Great link. Puts it all into reality. Hit the books, it is all that really matters in the end.

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
NH Tomahawks beat Terps and beat Clams 15-3. Also tied Extreme.

but express north beat Tomahawks.

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
If they tie 91 they can play with anyone. I have heard Express north beat Terps many times...

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
correct. north beat nh tomahawks 7-3 at legacy team showcase few weeks ago

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
If they tie 91 they can play with anyone. I have heard Express north beat Terps many times...

You are mistaken, they have scrimmaged but not played against each other in real game since they came into the Express family. Hopefully this year, they are an excellent team and a bunch of good kids.

BOTC GIRLS BOTC BOY Sponsored Links
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
correct. north beat nh tomahawks 7-3 at legacy team showcase few weeks ago

which was the same tourney that 91 tied.

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Great link. Puts it all into reality. Hit the books, it is all that really matters in the end.

I figured out with my older guy that there were about 120 kids who started playing youth lacrosse with him in second grade. By the time they got to HS there were 10 of them still left. Then consider that those 10 are part of the 100,000 such kids in the US playing HS lacrosse and that only 13% of that group will play any type of college lax. "Chasing a dream" is putting it mildly...It is fun and you never want to wonder what could have been, so we help our kids anyway we can. However, it is a huge long shot for established HS kids much less people on here puffing their chests about their 4th grade teams. Many of those kids won't even be on their HS teams. Read BOTC long enough and you start thinking that unless you go to a very top D1 school that you are some type of loser....it is just not reality.

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

I figured out with my older guy that there were about 120 kids who started playing youth lacrosse with him in second grade. By the time they got to HS there were 10 of them still left. Then consider that those 10 are part of the 100,000 such kids in the US playing HS lacrosse and that only 13% of that group will play any type of college lax. "Chasing a dream" is putting it mildly...It is fun and you never want to wonder what could have been, so we help our kids anyway we can. However, it is a huge long shot for established HS kids much less people on here puffing their chests about their 4th grade teams. Many of those kids won't even be on their HS teams. Read BOTC long enough and you start thinking that unless you go to a very top D1 school that you are some type of loser....it is just not reality.
Spot on

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

Spot on

Fantastic post, and could not be more accurate. It is really hard to secure ANY kind of college playing opportunity. Just the opportunity to play somewhere in college is rarified air for anyone of these athletes. Further, it is still harder to find an opportunity that matches your son's academic situation and future aspirations, that is in line with your families financial capabilities.

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
North handled the Terps easily yet they are not mentioned

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Really? Jesters over Express North... Ha

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Really? Jesters over Express North... Ha

Express North only beat Wantagh Tribe by a couple of goals last year? They are good, but not elite.

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Think 91 Orange beat Express North as well

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

When was that? They have not met this fall.

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

Like the North team a bunch, but when in the world did they handle terps easily or at all?

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

Spot on

Fantastic post, and could not be more accurate. It is really hard to secure ANY kind of college playing opportunity. Just the opportunity to play somewhere in college is rarified air for anyone of these athletes. Further, it is still harder to find an opportunity that matches your son's academic situation and future aspirations, that is in line with your families financial capabilities.

Yes and no. 13 percent would equate to only one player on every Long Island teams graduating class playing any type of lacrosse college. I'll bet it's higher than that. Don't let the numbers spook you

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

This is great post, however a little misleading. I understand your numbers but most of the people that come on this board have kids that are playing at pretty high levels. If your son is on a top club at this point his chances at finding a spot in college lacrosse are pretty good. For example, Sweetlax 2017 team has 13 D1 commits already I believe? Thats just one example. However, unless your son is in the top 5 percent of players in his grade, he is going to need help getting into a school to play lacrosse. This is where your club and college coaches come in. For the parents its all about putting your kid in an environment where he can succeed and make the most of his opportunities when he gets them. Thats what this whole thing is about.

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Looks like LI was well represented on the Freshman Philly Showcase All-Star team:

Express Terps - 4
91 Extreme - 1
fl$ - 1
Outlaws - 1
TLI - 1
LI Sharks - 1
LI Sting - 1

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
I'm surprised the number for 91 Extreme is not higher. Did they have a good number of players at the showcase?

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
BOC
Maybe you could find out this info?
How many kids at philly showcase have a Bday 1998
Not asking for names or teams just number
I bet number will surprise

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
I'm surprised the number for 91 Extreme is not higher. Did they have a good number of players at the showcase?

91 Extreme and Express Terps each had over 10 kids there

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
I believe only one Team 91 Extreme kid made the all star game?

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
How did all the 2018 teams do this weekend?

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
How did all the 2018 teams do this weekend?

Any word on how LI teams did at Philly showcase today?

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Terps played crabs, dukes and green turtles.

Lost by one to crabs, beat dukes by one--beat Green turtles by alot...

Dozen coaches for crabs and dukes game, all were gone for the turtles game

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Two 91 kids made it, the big attackman and a midfielder.

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Many of 91 s too kids did not participate in showcase

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Two 91 kids made it, the big attackman and a midfielder.

Surprised none of the 91 defensemen made the "Fab 40"

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

Huh? They had over 10 kids there - including all their top defensemen, their FOGO, their top uncommitted middys, their goalie.

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Terps played crabs, dukes and green turtles.

Lost by one to crabs, beat dukes by one--beat Green turtles by alot...

Dozen coaches for crabs and dukes game, all were gone for the turtles game

Thanks. How did Extreme, fl$, Outlaws, Express North, etc all do?

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

Huh? They had over 10 kids there - including all their top defensemen, their FOGO, their top uncommitted middys, their goalie.

couple of registered 91 players did not show up and one was hurt at the showcase

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

couple of registered 91 players did not show up and one was hurt at the showcase

Were any of the no-shows or the injured kid poles? I was very surprised none of their poles made the All-Star list - and that might explain it.

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

Not showing up? That sucks for kids that were on the waiting list.

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Glad the 91 Attackman made it. I still regard that team's [lacrosse]'s U11 highlight video the best lacrosse video I've ever seen, not just for fun-to-watch but also to show what kids that age are capable of.

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
NH Tomahawks beat Express North 8-6.

Page 27 of 52 1 2 25 26 27 28 29 51 52

Link Copied to Clipboard