BOTC BOTC
The UnD1sputed Showcase (Boys & Girls) in June & the Girls LI Showcase is Open for Registration on CBLaxers.com - Don't Miss Out as 88 Players Only Accepted! | Invest for Growth - ADVERTISE with us!
BOTC GIRLS BOTC BOY BACK OF THE CAGE
BOTC GIRLS BOTC BOY MOST RECENT POSTS
Girls High School Lax
by Anonymous -
BOTC GIRLS BOTC BOY Forum Statistics
Forums20
Topics3,802
Posts385,538
Members2,606
Most Online62,980
Feb 6th, 2020
BOTC GIRLS BOTC BOY FOLLOW US ON TWITTER
Previous Thread
Next Thread
New Reply
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 19 of 31 1 2 17 18 19 20 21 30 31
Re: Conflicts! When HS Coaches Incorporate Summer Tournament Teams in Town
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Originally Posted by Anonymous
What is the DMV?

Delaware/Maryland/Virginia

Actually Dc/md/va. Another word for dc suburbs

my bad... Delmarva is the peninsula...back to geography class for me.

Like Reply Quote
BOTC GIRLS BOTC BOY BACK OF THE CAGE SPONSORS

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Heard that dad is making deals to take position and is keeping it on the hush because there will be a uproar , pitchfork linching if its announced before season starts , and is taking all his girls up to varsity with him . Its amazing the small town gossip that gets around so fast !

Big changes coming with Rocky Point girls program, good for some terrible for others .

Good luck with that !!

OK, I'll bite. Please enlighten us.

I heard this summer that one of the Varsity dads openly coaches the team from the stands? How does the Varsity coach allow that to happen?

WOW

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Heard that dad is making deals to take position and is keeping it on the hush because there will be a uproar , pitchfork linching if its announced before season starts , and is taking all his girls up to varsity with him . Its amazing the small town gossip that gets around so fast !

Big changes coming with Rocky Point girls program, good for some terrible for others .

Good luck with that !!

I heard this summer that one of the Varsity dads openly coaches the team from the stands? How does the Varsity coach allow that to happen?

And now it's on the Internet so it must be true!

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Just to bad the PAID head coach doesn't get his act together and show interest all year long , not when he hears smack talk about his commitment and tries to save face by showing interest for a week or two then disappears , I think many from the program would all agree as much as this parent is a nuisance he get things done ! It would be for the better for the community if this parent took the head coaching job without pay , as he already does the head coaches task with all the leg work of development and training in the program . Sort of like how all the top programs on long island do !
Don't expect a miracle with minimal effort !
sad part the paid coach will reek all the benefits from the upcoming class talent pool .

Good luck with that !!

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
More for the argument that school ball is becoming a joke. For many school districts the teacher coaches are? Let's just say teachers! Sad but true.. I hope this dad is able to get the kids into some good tournaments and showcase all his and his players hardworking

Just to bad the PAID head coach doesn't get his act together and show interest all year long , not when he hears smack talk about his commitment and tries to save face by showing interest for a week or two then disappears , I think many from the program would all agree as much as this parent is a nuisance he get things done ! It would be for the better for the community if this parent took the head coaching job without pay , as he already does the head coaches task with all the leg work of development and training in the program . Sort of like how all the top programs on long island do !
Don't expect a miracle with minimal effort !
sad part the paid coach will reek all the benefits from the upcoming class talent pool .

Good luck with that !!

Like Reply Quote
BOTC GIRLS BOTC BOY Sponsored Links
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
The only problem with this dad is he forgets to realize unlike his preaching's there are other players in the district who also train hard all year long , but he excludes them because they do not participate in his sessions so automatically your child will not be a CHAMPION !!! . Although his heart is there he needs to be more open about other players who do not choose to participate in his ideology . But he would get our vote if need be to replace the existing Varsity coach who technically is a teacher and a good coach when he needs to be and unfortunately the fact he utilizes this DAD to an extent of communicating on who should play where , shows how unorganized the school program really is .

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
In my town the Varsity coach is involved year round and it pays off on the field. What many people in town do not realize is when the couple of thousand the district pays him is spread out over the whole year it comes out to 25 cents an hour. Most of the teacher coaches do care but with family obligations and other sports that they coach in the offseason it is hard for them to do everything all year long.

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Then Don't coach period ! ... many coaches in High School do it for the love of the game , and yes of course the glory ! If a school district has a huge sport following , you better be willing on making it a production !!! If your successful on what you do look at the big picture in the ever growing game of Women's Lacrosse , success in High School coaching Can open up other opportunities for them.. Its seems in this instance its about being spoiled and riding off the coattails of a last name.

In my town the Varsity coach is involved year round and it pays off on the field. What many people in town do not realize is when the couple of thousand the district pays him is spread out over the whole year it comes out to 25 cents an hour. Most of the teacher coaches do care but with family obligations and other sports that they coach in the offseason it is hard for them to do everything all year long.

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
VII. Out of Season Practice Policy
On May 24, 2000, the Section XI Athletic Council eliminated the Section XI Out of Season Practice Policy (sometimes referred to as the 49% rule) entirely!

Understand, however, that this action does not necessarily make practicing out of season OK. Schools are still bound by the NYSPHSAA regulations. They are:

NYSPHSAA REGULATION - PRACTICE SESSIONS:
a. An organized practice in grades 7-12 is a session for the purpose of providing instruction and practice in physical conditioning activities, skills, team play, and game strategy designed expressly for that sport under the supervision of a qualified coach appointed by the Board of Education of the local school district. Such instruction and practice shall be held only during the season designated for that sport.
c. School sponsored activities conducted out of the sport season such as general conditioning, weight training, weight lifting, intramurals, recreation, open gyms, club activities and camps are permitted: 1. If such programs are not mandated by coaches or school personnel; 2. If such programs are available to all students.
d. Non-school sponsored activities are permitted if such programs are not mandated by coaches or school personnel. It is recommended that no school equipment be used for these programs as per State Comptroller Opinion 85-37.

Rev 5/11

VIII. Recruiting of Athletes
To maintain the educational standards and dignity of our academic and athletic programs, all member schools of Section XI must refrain from practices such as recruitments, enticements, inducements, or other pressures which encourage students for athletic purposes to leave or not to enter their schools of normal enrollment or schools in which they are enrolled.

Schools alleged to be in violation will be referred to the Ethics Committee.

Upon request, member schools that receive tuition must make available to Section XI all records of financial aid to athletes.

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
And now we come to that most special time of year.....a time when a lax coach shakes down parents to attend his annual fundraiser for the HS program which is, of course, perfectly timed for just when tryouts are about to begin. No attempt to even hide the appearance of pay to play. So gross.....and he gets suck up fathers to run it all for him to boot. Must be nice, just show up and people hand you $$$.

Like Reply Quote
BOTC GIRLS BOTC BOY Sponsored Links
User
User
And now we come to that most special time of year.....a time when a lax coach shakes down parents to attend his annual fundraiser for the HS program which is, of course, perfectly timed for just when tryouts are about to begin. No attempt to even hide the appearance of pay to play. So gross.....and he gets suck up fathers to run it all for him to boot. Must be nice, just show up and people hand you $$$.

Are you implying the Coach keeps the money or does it get returned to the program? What district are you in?

Back of the Cage
Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Doubt he puts it in his pocket....but zero transparency on how it gets used.

Like Reply Quote
User
User
Doubt he puts it in his pocket....but zero transparency on how it gets used.

What district are you in? Do you make your checks out to him personally or the booster club?

Last edited by The Hop; .

Back of the Cage
Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

Same thing in my town. They have mentioned and sent home flyers for the "fund raiser" at least 10 times in the last month and put a lot of pressure on the kids by giving them admissions tickets with there names that they are supposed to sell at $60 a piece. The clown that is running it isn't even affiliated with the program and has had major issues in the past in dealing with both youth players and parents.

There is an extra fee for anything that the team does and any gear they wear so I have no idea what this fund raising money is used for. The parents are always being asked to reach into there pockets.

Like Reply Quote
User
User

Same thing in my town. They have mentioned and sent home flyers for the "fund raiser" at least 10 times in the last month and put a lot of pressure on the kids by giving them admissions tickets with there names that they are supposed to sell at $60 a piece. The clown that is running it isn't even affiliated with the program and has had major issues in the past in dealing with both youth players and parents.

There is an extra fee for anything that the team does and any gear they wear so I have no idea what this fund raising money is used for. The parents are always being asked to reach into there pockets.

Every team does fundraisers to support their team and help offset costs of extra travel, clothing, events etc... I'm trying to understand the anger and accusations thrown at the coaches and volunteers. You called one volunteer a "clown".
Help us understand your complaints.

Back of the Cage
Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Originally Posted by The Hop

Every team does fundraisers to support their team and help offset costs of extra travel, clothing, events etc... I'm trying to understand the anger and accusations thrown at the coaches and volunteers. You called one volunteer a "clown".

I run our HS Booster club and at every meeting the bank statement is on the table for all to see. Our fundraisers go right back to the kids. As a booster club you can never pay for everything the kids order every year because if you did they would keep shopping. We pay for a portion of the gear that they want every year and make them pay a fair share to keep it under control. At the end of the season the balance in the account is given out to the seniors as scholarships. If your town is not doing this it is something you should look into.

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
What is the DMV?

Delaware/Maryland/Virginia

Actually Dc/md/va. Another word for dc suburbs

my bad... Delmarva is the peninsula...back to geography class for me.

This is why kids repeat the 8th grade

Like Reply Quote
User
User

I run our HS Booster club and at every meeting the bank statement is on the table for all to see. Our fundraisers go right back to the kids. As a booster club you can never pay for everything the kids order every year because if you did they would keep shopping. We pay for a portion of the gear that they want every year and make them pay a fair share to keep it under control. At the end of the season the balance in the account is given out to the seniors as scholarships. If your town is not doing this it is something you should look into.

Booster clubs work very hard to help the coaches and players succeed through financial support and volunteer work. THANK YOU to all booster club volunteers!!!!
If parents have a question about appropriation of funds I would guess every club President or Treasurer will gladly disclose any financials.

Back of the Cage
Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
RP is over-rated. Lots of teams will be better over next 4 years.

Like Reply Quote
User
User
RP is over-rated. Lots of teams will be better over next 4 years.

Your post belongs on the 2015 Boys Lacrosse thread. Re post there.

Back of the Cage
Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
There are coaches that don't account for the money they collect. Fact

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
[quote=Anonymous]There are coaches that don't account for the money they collect. Fact

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

You should call your HS AD and discuss it .

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

I'll say it again that ALL travel expenses, gear, and everything else is paid for by the parents so where does the fund raising money go?

The guy I referred to as a clown is a person that has no business being involved with the HS program and is only allowed to be involved because of the "fund raising".

There is nobody that you can ask either it is all top secret.

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

Most of the AD's have no clue what is going on. They don't realize that the coaches are strong arming the players into paying them hundreds of dollars to be on there summer teams or paying hundreds of dollars for off season illegal team practices.

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
We have coaches who run summer sports camps at our school, you don't show and then you are labeled. We also have booster club parents that are in it for the wrong reason to gain access and influence. Our program is in serious decline so coaches are allowing the parents to run the asylum just to keep the program alive.

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

Most of the AD's have no clue what is going on. They don't realize that the coaches are strong arming the players into paying them hundreds of dollars to be on there summer teams or paying hundreds of dollars for off season illegal team practices.

I understand your frustration. It is a simple matter to address. First call you should make is to the AD. Second thing you should do is attend a Board of Ed meeting in your town and ask the board what hey know about. Some Booster clubs use the money to pay for scouting services, stat services, and team parties like senior day and playoff tailgates. All remaining funds should be given to the athletes as scholarships.

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

Off season practices are not illegal.

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

Yes they are. Coaches can not hold an organized practice until March 9th when tryouts start. They hold open gym nights for the kids to scrimmage but that's it .

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

Yes they are. Coaches can not hold an organized practice until March 9th when tryouts start. They hold open gym nights for the kids to scrimmage but that's it .

Sorry, but you are wrong. That rule of no off-season practices was thrown out years ago. You just can't make it mandatory, or you can't call it mandatory.

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

VII. Out of Season Practice Policy
On May 24, 2000, the Section XI Athletic Council eliminated the Section XI Out of Season Practice Policy (sometimes referred to as the 49% rule) entirely!

Understand, however, that this action does not necessarily make practicing out of season OK. Schools are still bound by the NYSPHSAA regulations. They are:

a. An organized practice in grades 7-12 is a session for the purpose of providing instruction and practice in physical conditioning activities, skills, team play, and game strategy designed expressly for that sport under the supervision of a qualified coach appointed by the Board of Education of the local school district. Such instruction and practice shall be held only during the season designated for that sport.
c. School sponsored activities conducted out of the sport season such as general conditioning, weight training, weight lifting, intramurals, recreation, open gyms, club activities and camps are permitted: 1. If such programs are not mandated by coaches or school personnel; 2. If such programs are available to all students.
d. Non-school sponsored activities are permitted if such programs are not mandated by coaches or school personnel. It is recommended that no school equipment be used for these programs as per State Comptroller Opinion 85-37.

Rev 5/11

VIII. Recruiting of Athletes
To maintain the educational standards and dignity of our academic and athletic programs, all member schools of Section XI must refrain from practices such as recruitments, enticements, inducements, or other pressures which encourage students for athletic purposes to leave or not to enter their schools of normal enrollment or schools in which they are enrolled.

Schools alleged to be in violation will be referred to the Ethics Committee.

Upon request, member schools that receive tuition must make available to Section XI all records of financial aid to athletes.

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

It clearly states that an organized practice ......shall only be held only during the season designated for that sport so a coach can only hold practices on or after March 9th for Lacrosse. Anything else is clearly not permitted.

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
what about "box" held every year in our school district

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

It clearly states that an organized practice ......shall only be held only during the season designated for that sport so a coach can only hold practices on or after March 9th for Lacrosse. Anything else is clearly not permitted.

Most teams do fall tournaments and winter leagues. And most do "open gym" where the kids run "conditioning activities, skills, team play, and game strategy designed expressly for that sport under the supervision of a qualified coach" I think the rule stated above means that none of the practices count towards the mandated number of practices needed to play. If not, then 90% of the teams on LI are breaking the rules. I'm trying to understand if you do not want the kids to be doing any off-season work?? Is that so?

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
looks like the poster was just trying to articulate what the rule is for organized practice with h.s. coaches . the rule is antiquated (winter leagues etc.), and subject to interpretation .

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Here is the rub. The Varsity coaches do not get paid for extra off season practices so they really don't want to do any of them especially when they have to invite everyone to participate. Parents want the travel lacrosse coach commitment from a coach that only gets paid for the 11 week season. Our coach does not want to coach winter league games because he doesn't get paid to. I really cant blame her.

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Here is the rub. The Varsity coaches do not get paid for extra off season practices so they really don't want to do any of them especially when they have to invite everyone to participate. Parents want the travel lacrosse coach commitment from a coach that only gets paid for the 11 week season. Our coach does not want to coach winter league games because he doesn't get paid to. I really cant blame her.

That's the difference between a coach that wants to build a program and one who is just in it for the money.

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

That's the difference between a coach that wants to build a program and one who is just in it for the money.

BINGO! You hit the nail on the head.

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

BINGO! You hit the nail on the head.

Or you have the coach that "highly suggests" you attend all of her indoor training to give you a better chance of making varsity while she makes money off of all the parents.

Like Reply Quote
Page 19 of 31 1 2 17 18 19 20 21 30 31
Quick Reply

Options
HTML is disabled
UBBCode is enabled
CAPTCHA Verification

Link Copied to Clipboard