BOTC BOTC
The UnD1sputed Showcase (Boys & Girls) in June & the Girls LI Showcase is Open for Registration on CBLaxers.com - Don't Miss Out as 88 Players Only Accepted! | Invest for Growth - ADVERTISE with us!
BOTC GIRLS BOTC BOY BACK OF THE CAGE
BOTC GIRLS BOTC BOY MOST RECENT POSTS
Boys High School Lax
by Anonymous -
Boys High School
by Anonymous -
Girls High School
by Anonymous -
BOTC GIRLS BOTC BOY Forum Statistics
Forums20
Topics3,802
Posts385,564
Members2,606
Most Online62,980
Feb 6th, 2020
BOTC GIRLS BOTC BOY FOLLOW US ON TWITTER
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 6 of 29 1 2 4 5 6 7 8 28 29
Re: Boys 2023 Fall 2014/Summer 2015
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Has anyone heard about the Chilaxin Team this year? I heard this team was very talented. Are they having tryouts? Please advise

BOTC GIRLS BOTC BOY BACK OF THE CAGE SPONSORS

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Originally Posted by Anonymous
Has anyone heard about the Chilaxin Team this year? I heard this team was very talented. Are they having tryouts? Please advise

Cheaters entering town tournaments...lying cheats. No tryouts because they are a phoney team.

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Never heard of them. Who are they?

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

Was a group of travel hockey players from around long island who also play lacrosse. Came together for one tournament without ever practicing together. The tournament director was well aware of how the team was put together, however some people were not happy when they won the tournament.

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
That's because they entered a 3rd grade bracket with 4th graders! Represented themselves as being from 1 town and only had 2 players actually from that town!!!! Cheaters.

BOTC GIRLS BOTC BOY Sponsored Links
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
That's because they entered a 3rd grade bracket with 4th graders! Represented themselves as being from 1 town and only had 2 players actually from that town!!!! Cheaters.

all were 3rd graders

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
From what I saw last year, bandits and badgers were the 2 elite team, with bandits having the upper hand. However, there are probably 5 teams that can challenge for that third spot. 32, outlaws, warriors, legacy and cudas. All depends on the changes that were/we're not made to the rosters. To say anything else before practice and tournaments would be a complete guess. Don't think empire is in the running yet because it didn't look like the talent level at tryouts was high enough yet. But they're brand new and a lot can change.

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
From what I saw last year, bandits and badgers were the 2 elite team, with bandits having the upper hand. However, there are probably 5 teams that can challenge for that third spot. 32, outlaws, warriors, legacy and cudas. All depends on the changes that were/we're not made to the rosters. To say anything else before practice and tournaments would be a complete guess. Don't think empire is in the running yet because it didn't look like the talent level at tryouts was high enough yet. But they're brand new and a lot can change.

Don't sleep on that Igloo team that had a lot of good talent at the tryout.

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

all were 3rd graders

Lying cheats. I hope your kids enjoyed the stolen shirts. And did the guy who named the team pay any royalties to the company that makes the chillaxing clothing line? No? That would make them lying, stealing, cheats.

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Two new teams with great coaching and tons of practice scheduled are Hurricanes and Empire. I give it two years before their coaching and upgrading kicks in to be power house teams. I love seeing good coaches building new teams to diversify the playing fields and stop the false team openings from large club teams by charging $100 to have 50+ kids tryout for a spot when there is none.

BOTC GIRLS BOTC BOY Sponsored Links
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
I find it hard to believe that there were not openings on all of the teams for the right players. Bottom line is that in order to come onto an existing team that's been successful, a kid really has to be a standout and impress the coaches to the point that they believe that kid is worth getting rid of another kid on the already existing roster. I think a lot of people are guilty of wearing "parent goggles" and believe their kid is much better than what he or she really is.

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
I have a feeling the 3rd spot isn't as up for grabs as you think. I heard 32 lost their best player to Igloo I'm sure that had something to do with what was posted earlier about coaches favoring their own kids

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
It looks like Chillaxing decided to chill. The above paragraph shut him up, good job!

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Any 2023 teams playing this weekend?

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

No. Got the schedule 2022-2019

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

No. Got the schedule 2022-2019

How about next weekend? Halloween Havoc?? Warriors will be there.

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Fall Finale--any 2023 teams going to Princeton this year?

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

Badgers

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

Badgers

Outlaws will be there

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Badgers will certainly have major problems this year if they play the Bandits. I wonder if JS will be playing his older son against them. #99 is bigger, stronger and faster than all the Badgers put together.

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Badgers will certainly have major problems this year if they play the Bandits. I wonder if JS will be playing his older son against them. #99 is bigger, stronger and faster than all the Badgers put together.

Someone trying to start nonsense, actually concerning an adult would write anything like this

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Too many kids that play 2023 that are exceptional are not true 4th graders. Most 4th graders are born in 2005, which is the actual birth year. You are finding more and more kids that are born in 2004, and in some cases 2003. Someone should patrol this and adjust the rules with a governing body. I'm sure USA lacrosse has rules in place and Long Island and most states do not follow. Kids will eventually catch up and I'm sure the 2004 kids were not held back for lax but kids who are older hold a tremendous advantage both physically and mentally. Play your age!!!

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Too many kids that play 2023 that are exceptional are not true 4th graders. Most 4th graders are born in 2005, which is the actual birth year. You are finding more and more kids that are born in 2004, and in some cases 2003. Someone should patrol this and adjust the rules with a governing body. I'm sure USA lacrosse has rules in place and Long Island and most states do not follow. Kids will eventually catch up and I'm sure the 2004 kids were not held back for lax but kids who are older hold a tremendous advantage both physically and mentally. Play your age!!!

I agree with your comments - if you looked at the successful teams at this age group birth certificates you will see 2004 birthdates -it should be monitored like every other sport by DOB.

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Hahaahaha shut up! You should of kept your kid at home instead of pushing them out the door. Stop your bitchin or go play baseball! We who hold our children back are well within the parameters of the rules. I don't think kids should be going to school so young and certainly don't like the fact that all you people with your PUNY kids play against my superior child!

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Crazy to think adults come on here write things pretending to be someone else to start problems

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

My son and his best friend have been playing together for 5 years now. They have been in the same class several years and are both excellent lacrosse players. They tried out for the same travel club and made the team. My son's best fried was deemed not ready (socially or academically) to begin kindergarten with the boys his age and it was recommended that he wait till the following year to begin school. Naturally, his parents followed the advice of the professionals and held him back. On Long Island, travel clubs are grade based, not age. Say what you will about it, but that's just the way is. If you look at every team roster, you'll find a player that was held back. It's very common. It seems that parents only complain when that player is the best on the field. Just because the older boy on your team is mediocre doesn't absolve your team from the fact that they are playing an older child. Keep in mind, these clubs are adhering to the rules of the tournaments. Please, stop complaining about it and exaggerating this child's age to say that he should be in 6th or 7th grade. You seem foolish and petty.

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Absolutely petty! How about taking on a real cause like world hunger or corporations buying our politicians. You seem outraged by something so minuscule. I can only imagine how hard you were hitting the keyboard as you punched out those three exclamation marks.

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
In regards to issues like world hunger or corporations buying politicians, this is a youth lacrosse board so I'm not sure what the relevance of that comment is. How do we know the original poster is not on other boards discussing those issues?

Personally, I would disagree that this is 'miniscule'. As far as youth lacrosse is concerned this is a very important topic. You might not have been at the Express or 91 tryouts but I can assure you that there were a few hundred other people at both of those, spending $100 a pop so that they might be lucky enough to pay those organizations in excess of $2,500 for their children to join their teams. This is a business and this is sports and this is competitive and when you put all of those things together, people will look for any edge they can find. If that edge is buying the latest equipment or taking their kids to private training or, dare I say it, holding their children back a year for reasons that have absolutely nothing to do with academics, guess what, they will do it. And by the way, if in the long run this potentially helps their sons not only get into a Duke or a Hopkins or a Notre Dame but also gets them scholarship money at those institutions and a network that will benefit their long term careers and social lives, that is a pretty huge incentive.

I understand the analogy of the child who is held back for academic or social reasons and I empathize with that situation, I'm sure it cannot be easy for the parents or the child to be faced with something like that. However, if we were just talking about a boy or two per team that would be one thing but this is pervasive and has become a part of the culture of the sport. I could name a dozen boys from my town alone who have been held back simply for lacrosse.

Finally, if age wasn’t an important issue then why do sports like soccer, baseball, hockey and football all bother with strict requirements? Lacrosse is the only sport where it is possible to have two children who are as much as 18 months apart competing in the same game. It’s one thing when they hit puberty but it’s quite another when they are 8, 9, 10 years old.

Feel free to bury your head in the sand and ignore it but don't try to diminish it to those of us who think it is a problem that needs to be addressed. If something as 'miniscule' as the Faceoff rule can be changed, then this can and should be changed as well.

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
The point is your acting like a baby and you should stay off this site and go on a political site. Btw I have both a late start kid smile and an early start kid. One in college and two currently in youth one is a regular start kid if you can call it that. It NEVER was an issue w me. My oldest was a goalie and in seventh grade played varsity in the summers. He was getting nailed by rising juniors in seventh grade I worried my [lacrosse] off! Idk I just think you sound like a baby!
I only once paid more then $1000 for summer of lax. My kids play a ton of lax all summer. So I think your nuts for doing that but each their own. $100 bucks for a try out to travel to jersey and play a long island team. Whatever dude! I've been in any situation and honestly I don't see a problem with it.

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
In regards to issues like world hunger or corporations buying politicians, this is a youth lacrosse board so I'm not sure what the relevance of that comment is. How do we know the original poster is not on other boards discussing those issues?

Personally, I would disagree that this is 'miniscule'. As far as youth lacrosse is concerned this is a very important topic. You might not have been at the Express or 91 tryouts but I can assure you that there were a few hundred other people at both of those, spending $100 a pop so that they might be lucky enough to pay those organizations in excess of $2,500 for their children to join their teams. This is a business and this is sports and this is competitive and when you put all of those things together, people will look for any edge they can find. If that edge is buying the latest equipment or taking their kids to private training or, dare I say it, holding their children back a year for reasons that have absolutely nothing to do with academics, guess what, they will do it. And by the way, if in the long run this potentially helps their sons not only get into a Duke or a Hopkins or a Notre Dame but also gets them scholarship money at those institutions and a network that will benefit their long term careers and social lives, that is a pretty huge incentive.

I understand the analogy of the child who is held back for academic or social reasons and I empathize with that situation, I'm sure it cannot be easy for the parents or the child to be faced with something like that. However, if we were just talking about a boy or two per team that would be one thing but this is pervasive and has become a part of the culture of the sport. I could name a dozen boys from my town alone who have been held back simply for lacrosse.

Finally, if age wasn’t an important issue then why do sports like soccer, baseball, hockey and football all bother with strict requirements? Lacrosse is the only sport where it is possible to have two children who are as much as 18 months apart competing in the same game. It’s one thing when they hit puberty but it’s quite another when they are 8, 9, 10 years old.

Feel free to bury your head in the sand and ignore it but don't try to diminish it to those of us who think it is a problem that needs to be addressed. If something as 'miniscule' as the Faceoff rule can be changed, then this can and should be changed as well.

Amen.......

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
I'm not trying to give you a hard time but if you don't think that this is a significant issue in youth lacrosse then fine, that's your opinion. You should just recognize that a lot of people disagree with you.

In the example you gave where your 7th grade son competed against Varsity athletes, that was a conscious decision and everyone at the event knew what was going on. You and your son went into the event with the knowledge that older boys would be competing. There was no competitive advantage there, in fact it was probably looked on as a good thing: check out how well this 7th grader is doing against the varsity team!

That is a much different scenario than when you have a boy who turned 10 years old in June competing against 8 and 9 year olds at a 2023 tournament. The biggest issue I have with it, frankly, is from an evaluation standpoint. How do you know whether the 10 year old is doing well b/c he is legitimately talented or if he's really just an average player but he is older and more experienced? And vice versa for the 8 year old, maybe he is a better than average player but looks less than that b/c he is competing against bigger, stronger, faster boys.

As far as the $$$'s are concerned. Look at the list of team's on the right of this board. I don't think a single one of them cost less than $1,000 for the season. I'm not sure where your son is playing lax but it sure isn't on this Island.

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
It's a much better approach this way then the triple exclamation point or the CHEATER! Routine . I understand your point but the rules are the rules as of now and I am very happy w them. My personal opinion is its not cut out for everyone and it thins the herd this way. Seperates the men from the boys. Its a violent sport and theres no crying on the lax field. Yes I know they are all boys at this age and don't care if you don't like it do something about it. Go play for TLI. Go start your own league or team. And really who's complaining here the over protective mom or the son? Kid probably doesn't give a hoot and just wants to play.

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
My son was born in early December of 2004. He is currently in the 4th grade. We never "held him back" Should he play with his classmates and friends, or should I force him to play with 5th graders? In your opinion?

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
He's in the right place!

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
My son was born in early December of 2004. He is currently in the 4th grade. We never "held him back" Should he play with his classmates and friends, or should I force him to play with 5th graders? In your opinion?

4th grade. No brainer. Would be the same answer if he was sept, oct or november

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
There are two consistent counters that people bring up whenever someone questions the current grade based system:

1. You are a whining baby whose son must stink. Tell your 8, 9, 10 year old boy to man up! Deal with it, life isn’t fair.
2. My son is in this grade and was born xxxx and we’re not cheating.

In regards to the first point, you’re probably right my son just needs to grow some hair on his chest and be a man. And yes, he does stink and I am a whiner so I guess you’re argument is right and mine is wrong.

As far as the second point goes, I am not calling out anybody for playing within the rules. I have absolutely no problem whatsoever with a parent of a 4th grader playing their son on a 2023 club. Those are the rules as they stand and I would never argue with anyone on that. I would only question why it is that the rules are set up like this? In a grade based system, you can have a child born in January 2004 competing against one born in October 2005 in a 2023 tournament. Why is it right to have a potentially 22 month age advantage over another boy? What is fair about that?

The problem with a grade based format vs an age based format is that grade based can be manipulated and let's not be naive, there are plenty of parents who make the decision to hold their children back just for lacrosse. Age based cannot be manipulated.

What is so unreasonable about going with the ‘U’ systems that so many other sports use? Children who are skilled enough to ‘play up’ would be allowed to but no one can ‘play down’. If you want to capture the ‘grade based’ ages, then simply make it based on a Dec 1 – Nov 30th year, which aligns with many of the New [lacrosse] State grade cutoffs.

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
The 23 month scenario seems a little far fetched. But I suppose they are out there. Why not hold the October baby back ? What's the rush to get these kids into school for. If its a matter of not paying daycare or something like that let the kid repeat kindergarten. Sorry I just think the parent of the October baby is not looking out for the best interest of their child.

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

December 2004 in New [lacrosse] is a 4th grader. Most districts have a 12/1 cutoff.

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Correct me if I am wrong, but the table below is from the US Lacrosse website.Isn't the difference between U11 and U9 potentially a 24 month difference? How does age based change anything?

2015 Age Grouping Quick Reference Table

Birthdate Age Bracket
Born on or after 9/1/1999 U15
Born on or after 9/1/2001 U13
Born on or after 9/1/2003 U11
Born on or after 9/1/2005 U9

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Correct me if I am wrong, but the table below is from the US Lacrosse website.Isn't the difference between U11 and U9 potentially a 24 month difference? How does age based change anything?

2015 Age Grouping Quick Reference Table

Birthdate Age Bracket
Born on or after 9/1/1999 U15
Born on or after 9/1/2001 U13
Born on or after 9/1/2003 U11
Born on or after 9/1/2005 U9

This would make things worse. You could potentially have a team 2 grades higher playing you. US Laxcrosse would have to come up with something better then this before anyone would want to switch from grade based.

Page 6 of 29 1 2 4 5 6 7 8 28 29

Link Copied to Clipboard