BOTC BOTC
The UnD1sputed Showcase (Boys & Girls) in June & the Girls LI Showcase is Open for Registration on CBLaxers.com - Don't Miss Out as 88 Players Only Accepted! | Invest for Growth - ADVERTISE with us!
BOTC GIRLS BOTC BOY BACK OF THE CAGE
BOTC GIRLS BOTC BOY MOST RECENT POSTS
Girls High School
by Anonymous -
Boys High School
by Anonymous -
BOTC GIRLS BOTC BOY Forum Statistics
Forums20
Topics3,802
Posts385,595
Members2,606
Most Online62,980
Feb 6th, 2020
BOTC GIRLS BOTC BOY FOLLOW US ON TWITTER
Previous Thread
Next Thread
New Reply
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 9 of 10 1 2 7 8 9 10
Re: Faceoff Petition 2014
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
What school? Suppose you can share that as we don't know your name or kids year so you can still be anonymous, but the info would certainly help in my negotiations.

Like Reply Quote
BOTC GIRLS BOTC BOY BACK OF THE CAGE SPONSORS

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Originally Posted by Anonymous
What school? Suppose you can share that as we don't know your name or kids year so you can still be anonymous, but the info would certainly help in my negotiations.

I can promise you my post is legit and the school is ranked in top 50. Other than that I would like keep details Anonymous. I may be biased but my son is considered a very special player by many. Works extremely hard! Good luck to all the boys

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
All these years and I don't know anyone with a full ride for lax. I know plenty that when they combined the athletic $, the merit $ and the need based aid, they didn't have to pay anything to go to school. If that is considered a full ride by you, fine and congratulations. When the rest of the sports world hears full ride, the think all the $ is athletic only.

If you are lucky enough to have received a full ride for athletics, congratulations but it is far from normal.

My understanding is you can combine academic and need based or you can combine academic and athletic but you can not combine any need based with athletic. I have heard of "full rides" being offered but it was always get what you can in academic and they will make up the balance with athletic and it is usually a lower rung team not a top 25.

As it was explained to us, If a school combines athletic and need based the need based part of the package will work against the total dollars allowed by the team so if a kid gets $10,000 Athletic and $10,000 need based the athletic department only pays $10,000 but $20,000 works against their cap of total scholarship dollars.

This is why a school will have you do financials and you might be eligible for more need based money then the school would have been able to offer you in athletic money

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Whole thing is crazy if you ask me. If you don't make enough $ and qualify for need, good for you.

For mine, no need based possible which is ok. But then you get offered a 20% athletic to a $60k school and there is no merit money. Your kid is thrilled and the local lax community thinks you hit it big...

So now you have to pay $48k per year to say you went to blah blah school. What if parent can only pay half of the 48, is it reasonable to allow your kid to borrow $100k to attend blah blah school. Not in my mind, much better to focus on schools with merit money, sorry patriot league.

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

I can promise you my post is legit and the school is ranked in top 50. Other than that I would like keep details Anonymous. I may be biased but my son is considered a very special player by many. Works extremely hard! Good luck to all the boys

Fair enough and congratulations to your boy. Of course you are biased, we all are, but you should be proud.

Like Reply Quote
BOTC GIRLS BOTC BOY Sponsored Links
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
So my question is why would you come on this site and boast your son got a full ride? Is there something wrong with saying your son got his tuition paid for with an athletic scholarship? When you lie it opens this up to people to criticize. I've been around this a very long time, trust me, hardly anyone ever gets a full ride. Most kids don't come close to getting what your son is getting. Stop telling people you are getting something you are not. Be proud of the truth. It's a great job by your son.

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Whole thing is crazy if you ask me. If you don't make enough $ and qualify for need, good for you.

For mine, no need based possible which is ok. But then you get offered a 20% athletic to a $60k school and there is no merit money. Your kid is thrilled and the local lax community thinks you hit it big...

So now you have to pay $48k per year to say you went to blah blah school. What if parent can only pay half of the 48, is it reasonable to allow your kid to borrow $100k to attend blah blah school. Not in my mind, much better to focus on schools with merit money, sorry patriot league.

Any NO ONE EVER TALKS ABOUT THE $5,000+ per year they paid into lacrosse since the 3rd grade! That could be about $50,000 over those 10 years. If you break the $50,000 over the 4 years of college now your $48,000 school is $50,000!

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
So my question is why would you come on this site and boast your son got a full ride? Is there something wrong with saying your son got his tuition paid for with an athletic scholarship? When you lie it opens this up to people to criticize. I've been around this a very long time, trust me, hardly anyone ever gets a full ride. Most kids don't come close to getting what your son is getting. Stop telling people you are getting something you are not. Be proud of the truth. It's a great job by your son.

Fair enough. Just one question. If a kid has 100% tuition and lives home, is it a "full ride"? Does a true full ride cover 100% of every campus expense? One of my son's finds claims to have that

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
A 100% full ride includes tuition+room+board+books+university fees. If he is living at home, tuition and board were not included in his scholarship. Therefore it is not a full ride. Is he going to that school for free? Maybe but that is only cause he chose to live at home. If he chose to live at school he would have had to pay for room and board.

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
At what level is the new rule being implemented?

Like Reply Quote
BOTC GIRLS BOTC BOY Sponsored Links
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
New rule applies to NCAA starting this season.

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
"Full ride"; as my brother and I were fortunate enough to gain (in non lax sports)
Consisted of the following including the recruiting aspects:

Airline tickets to and from the school for official visit with hotel paid for (but ended up crashing with other players after crazy partying)

Full room board tuition and fees and books and meal plan

Monthly cash "stipend" of $300 first two years and $500 last two years at my school. (Was told to "not ask questions, son; just take the $"

Was allowed to use dorm $ for off campus apartment after 2nd year but had to piney up the difference.

Booster supplied cars as "loaners" for stud players

Not sure if it's that way anymore except in FB and BB maybe; but is was a great advantage to come out of school debt free.

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

Ok so nothing changes at the youth level?

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

Ok so nothing changes at the youth level?

No that was stated many times. HS rules stay in place for the 2015 season. Boys need to be aware that certain tournaments could use College rules. Happy pinching and popping!

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Been to two college prospect days. At one, college rules, at the other old rules. depends on the coach i guess..

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Been to two college prospect days. At one, college rules, at the other old rules. depends on the coach i guess..

One of the complaints about new rules is a higher risk of injury. The colleges are a few weeks into fall ball. Is anyone aware of a higher injury rate on facoffs?

With several prospect/showcase events following NCAA rules, has anyone noted impact beyond what was intended?

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

One of the complaints about new rules is a higher risk of injury. The colleges are a few weeks into fall ball. Is anyone aware of a higher injury rate on facoffs?

With several prospect/showcase events following NCAA rules, has anyone noted impact beyond what was intended?

No but on a recent school visit my 2020 M/FO kid who came along for the ride was told by the coach to take up MMA if he wants to be of value at the X

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

No but on a recent school visit my 2020 M/FO kid who came along for the ride was told by the coach to take up MMA if he wants to be of value at the X

you joke, but many of the top FOGOs are wrestlers already

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
MY son attended two prospect camps this past weekend and faced-off using the new rules. I think the injury thing is blown way of way out of proportion. The skilled face-off boys will adjust and prevail. What I can tell you is that they are looking for Middies that can play on offense and defense. Being a FOGO only at this point time is not what they are looking for.

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
MY son attended two prospect camps this past weekend and faced-off using the new rules. I think the injury thing is blown way of way out of proportion. The skilled face-off boys will adjust and prevail. What I can tell you is that they are looking for Middies that can play on offense and defense. Being a FOGO only at this point time is not what they are looking for.

Are 2017 families finding the prospect days as fall season sophs is helpful?

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Interesting. My experience is different. Also attended a prospect day and that coach made it clear that he is looking for a fogo...Maybe different coaches have different thoughts on your point about having fogos play o and d...

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
When putting highlight video together do you include face-off losses or just wins?
Is the coach supposed to assume you win 100% of the time?
How your losses impact your team are very important, especially under the new rules where I'd expect closer to 50/50.

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
When putting highlight video together do you include face-off losses or just wins?
How your losses impact your team are very important, especially under the new rules where I'd expect closer to 50/50.

Great question! My son only included wins. We all know they will lose, but why show it. Highlights should be of the best examples. I would suggest grouping many wins from the same games against the best competitors. Any decent F/O will have a good record against less skilled opponents, and we all know who the top guys are.

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

Great question! My son only included wins. We all know they will lose, but why show it. Highlights should be of the best examples. I would suggest grouping many wins from the same games against the best competitors. Any decent F/O will have a good record against less skilled opponents, and we all know who the top guys are.

Include losses, coaches like to see how you react. Do you chase? Do you check and get the ball back? It's not always about the W

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

Only include "Sunday Best" there is a reason you can't see the bottom of a meat package in the store. Only show a loss if it is a battle and then followed by a great play to get the ball back or if you "win" the draw but the wing misses the GB and you go and get it. If a fogo controls a draw and the wing misses the GB i would still consider that a win.

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

Include losses, coaches like to see how you react. Do you chase? Do you check and get the ball back? It's not always about the W

Would you suggest putting an internet petition together to convince the coach your son deserves a shot? Afterall this thread is also about internet petitions.

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

Would you suggest putting an internet petition together to convince the coach your son deserves a shot? Afterall this thread is also about internet petitions.

Don't need one, already have a commitment to a top program with a 50% of total scholarship. Maybe you should try the petition angle for your kid.

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

Don't need one, already have a commitment to a top program with a 50% of total scholarship. Maybe you should try the petition angle for your kid.

Of course he did.

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Watched some of the best fogos play with new rules this weekend. All I can say is that the best kids are still the best. The adapted quick. Very impressed! All hate the new rules, but even the pinch and pop masters have shown they are some of the fastest to learn, athletic players on that field. GREAT JOB!

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Completely agree. Watched a bunch of games at Terapin event in MD yesterday. The kids we knew to be the best before the rule change, were still the best.

Still think it takes a bunch away from the game although there are more ground balls, the kids that can clamp and pop out to the wing are very successful even with the new rule.

The biggest problem I saw was with the ball placement. Depending on the ref, those kids are down there kneeling in their stance for far too long. When you have a really good kid going against a lesser kid, it seems the lesser kid jumps more because he is down there longer...

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Completely agree. Watched a bunch of games at Terapin event in MD yesterday. The kids we knew to be the best before the rule change, were still the best.

Still think it takes a bunch away from the game although there are more ground balls, the kids that can clamp and pop out to the wing are very successful even with the new rule.

The biggest problem I saw was with the ball placement. Depending on the ref, those kids are down there kneeling in their stance for far too long. When you have a really good kid going against a lesser kid, it seems the lesser kid jumps more because he is down there longer...

Was at Legacy super 8 and have to agree. Refs were terrible with ball placement and playing with wistle, the well known guys were quick to adjust.

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Anyone attend the faceoff competition this weekend? Seems like the best known kids went there.

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Anyone attend the faceoff competition this weekend? Seems like the best known kids went there.

One of the problematic things in lacrosse now is the financial and motivational disinclination of committed kids to keep grinding away at events like this. I can't find a fault in families who want to stop the financial slam downs of constant showcases and events like this face-off academy. The residual is the next line of kids getting their ink and hype from the lacrosse social media journalists, which is good for them I suppose.

I find it disturbing that everything in this sport now seems to line up toward being all in for the money grab in 7th grade and 8th grade, and then resting on U-15 age laurels when committed. If this was a big time face-off event and most or all of the committed kids passed, that just reiterates the real morass that has taken over this sport. These two one to three day hit-and-run events are how clubs, MLL players, college coaches and events guys are now all trying to make their livings at once and the sheer volume of it is comedic, and the quality of it only goes down when better players have no incentive to subscribe.

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

One of the problematic things in lacrosse now is the financial and motivational disinclination of committed kids to keep grinding away at events like this. I can't find a fault in families who want to stop the financial slam downs of constant showcases and events like this face-off academy. The residual is the next line of kids getting their ink and hype from the lacrosse social media journalists, which is good for them I suppose.

I find it disturbing that everything in this sport now seems to line up toward being all in for the money grab in 7th grade and 8th grade, and then resting on U-15 age laurels when committed. If this was a big time face-off event and most or all of the committed kids passed, that just reiterates the real morass that has taken over this sport. These two one to three day hit-and-run events are how clubs, MLL players, college coaches and events guys are now all trying to make their livings at once and the sheer volume of it is comedic, and the quality of it only goes down when better players have no incentive to subscribe.

I agree, the top kids were not there. It cost over 450$ for two days. Somebody made over 60,000. Insane! And everyone knows it doesn't matter how you do in these competitions, it how you play in a game!

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
I agree, the top kids were not there. It cost over 450$ for two days. Somebody made over 60,000. Insane! And everyone knows it doesn't matter how you do in these competitions, it how you play in a game! [/quote]

Hard to convince the kids of that at this point. It seems all about getting Twittered by Ty Xanders for some face-off clinic contest. I concur that the real test of FOGO play is in game situations with wing play. Anyone also noticing how the slope keeps slipping and Ty and Casey Vock now hype out 2019 kids who light it up and will make waves next year? Those are 7th graders.

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
2020 is 7th grade. 2019 is 8th.

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
2019 kids are in 8th grade now. no different than the hype we heard last year about 2018

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
2019 kids are in 8th grade now. no different than the hype we heard last year about 2018

In the fall of 8th grade? You must be kidding.

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
2 of the committed 2018 fogos not there. Can't blame the families for not spending the $500

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
2 of the committed 2018 fogos not there. Can't blame the families for not spending the $500

So, basically the win is meaningless when the competition is weak. Like playing in a B level tournament. Organizers are laughing all the way to the bank!

Like Reply Quote
Page 9 of 10 1 2 7 8 9 10
Quick Reply

Options
HTML is disabled
UBBCode is enabled
CAPTCHA Verification

Link Copied to Clipboard