BOTC BOTC
The UnD1sputed Showcase (Boys & Girls) in June & the Girls LI Showcase is Open for Registration on CBLaxers.com - Don't Miss Out as 88 Players Only Accepted! | Invest for Growth - ADVERTISE with us!
BOTC GIRLS BOTC BOY BACK OF THE CAGE
BOTC GIRLS BOTC BOY MOST RECENT POSTS
Boys High School Lax
by Anonymous -
BOTC GIRLS BOTC BOY Forum Statistics
Forums20
Topics3,814
Posts387,518
Members2,608
Most Online62,980
Feb 6th, 2020
BOTC GIRLS BOTC BOY FOLLOW US ON TWITTER
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 16 of 45 1 2 14 15 16 17 18 44 45
Re: Boys 2017 Fall 2014/Summer 2015
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Originally Posted by Anonymous
the average is about 30% for the Dukes UVA, Michigans. Some kids get a little more some get less. Do not expect the same from all Patriot schools. They have conference restrictions and not all of them have funding for the 12.6 scholarships that is allowed. The Patriot league just started giving some football scholarships.

Don't count on any merit money for academics this early in high school. It's too early and kids have not even taken the SAT/ACT

As you probably know the Ivies are not allowed to give athletic scholarships, but need based money is quite plentiful if you qualify.

The whole recruiting situation can be very expensive.

Patriots have $$ when they want to have $$. Otherwise I agree with everything else you said.

BOTC GIRLS BOTC BOY BACK OF THE CAGE SPONSORS

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
the average is about 30% for the Dukes UVA, Michigans. Some kids get a little more some get less. Do not expect the same from all Patriot schools. They have conference restrictions and not all of them have funding for the 12.6 scholarships that is allowed. The Patriot league just started giving some football scholarships.

Don't count on any merit money for academics this early in high school. It's too early and kids have not even taken the SAT/ACT

As you probably know the Ivies are not allowed to give athletic scholarships, but need based money is quite plentiful if you qualify.

Patriots have $$ when they want to have $$. Otherwise I agree with everything else you said.

Thanks. What is a smart amount of prospect days to do this Fall? 2?

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

Thanks. What is a smart amount of prospect days to do this Fall? 2?

Some schools have a calculator tool on their website, it can give you an idea of what your kid can get with projected academics, not perfect but it can quickly shave 10-15K off costs to give you idea where you stand without athletic money. At privates can add up unless you are wildly wealthy or a poor student.

I would go to ones that are not too expensive/within driving distance and your son has a sincere ingest in the school for academics, or if the invite you got seemed very personalized, not just the kid's name and a lame "I saw you play" but with details of where and what position your son plays or if they ask your son to call him or ask to send fall schedules if you cannot make it.

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Who thinks it is a reasonable value to pay 50-60K a year, all in, to attend a nescac or ivy school to play lacrosse? Assume the kid is motivated. Assume the kid could go to a decent state school for 1/3 of that? Set aside affordability for a minute- assume it's potentially affordable, with significant family sacrifice....is it worth it from a value perspective? Would like to hear from some parents/players who have been through that process, not speculative guesses passed off as informed opinions. Thanks.

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
I would assume that a player who is academically qualified to attend an Ivy or NESCAC, is not choosing to attend that school solely to play lacrosse. Generally, players who choose this path, are selecting a school based on academics and THEN looking at the opportunity to play lacrosse. Not the other way around.

BOTC GIRLS BOTC BOY Sponsored Links
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Who thinks it is a reasonable value to pay 50-60K a year, all in, to attend a nescac or ivy school to play lacrosse? Assume the kid is motivated. Assume the kid could go to a decent state school for 1/3 of that? Set aside affordability for a minute- assume it's potentially affordable, with significant family sacrifice....is it worth it from a value perspective? Would like to hear from some parents/players who have been through that process, not speculative guesses passed off as informed opinions. Thanks.
It seems to me you are missing the point. You are not paying 50-60k a year to play lacrosse but to presumably attend a great school. If you believe your son can go to an Ivy or NESCAC, would be happy and fit in there, do reasonable well in school (not in way over his head), and be able to play lax as well if could be a great lifetime opportunity for him. This was my son's experience at at Ivy and he wouldn't have changed it for the world.

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
I have no idea. $250k for a college degree sounds unreasonable to me. Perhaps at Harvard or other Ivy the cost is outweighed by the connections made that can turn into $ in the future. But at Williams or Amherst, not so sure.

I know the kids that I hire from time to time struggling with loan debt at a $50k per year job means years of pain...

If your family can get need based $, the true cost is far less. There are net cost calculators on most of the college sites that give you a potential number...If you can get nescac at $25k (state school cost) then it is no brainer...

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Yes, of course would be going for academics first, lacrosse second- sorry if that was unclear in the initial post. The lacrosse would help in admissions, though.

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
I would assume that a player who is academically qualified to attend an Ivy or NESCAC, is not choosing to attend that school solely to play lacrosse. Generally, players who choose this path, are selecting a school based on academics and THEN looking at the opportunity to play lacrosse. Not the other way around.

You're all missing the point. Lacrosse should be used to propel ones academic pursuits. If you can make it into a Patriot School without Lacrosse, maybe Lacrosse gets you in an Ivy. If you can make it into a good D3 type school, maybe Lacrosse gets you into a NESCAC. Let's face it, 99.9% of the kids that get into an IVY with Lacrosse would have ZERO chance of getting into that school without lacrosse. To say otherwise is just intellectually disingenuous.

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

You're all missing the point. Lacrosse should be used to propel ones academic pursuits. If you can make it into a Patriot School without Lacrosse, maybe Lacrosse gets you in an Ivy. If you can make it into a good D3 type school, maybe Lacrosse gets you into a NESCAC. Let's face it, 99.9% of the kids that get into an IVY with Lacrosse would have ZERO chance of getting into that school without lacrosse. To say otherwise is just intellectually disingenuous.

I think these are all question that should be best answered by the expert on lacrosse recruiting the one and only Ty Xanders. Just tweet him a question and he will give his unbiased, intelligent, expert answer complete with nice snap shot of him with a red solo cup and goofy Orioles cap during a fast food binge.

BOTC GIRLS BOTC BOY Sponsored Links
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

I think these are all question that should be best answered by the expert on lacrosse recruiting the one and only Ty Xanders. Just tweet him a question and he will give his unbiased, intelligent, expert answer complete with nice snap shot of him with a red solo cup and goofy Orioles cap during a fast food binge.
He has a lot of perspective to share not even graduating from Lynchburg.

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

He has a lot of perspective to share not even graduating from Lynchburg.

He is the self proclaimed expert .......just ask him

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
I really don't get all of this. My 2017 got no attention last year. He is not an early bloomer, and had to develop confidence and aggressiveness. One of the "experts" told us we had to reclass and have him do a PG year. We ignored him, because life is not about lacrosse. Instead he worked hard, hit the weight room and did some speed training. Early fall he got an offer from a top 5 program and another from a top 20. Much to his younger brothers dismay, the lower ranked lacrosse program is a better fit for his academic interests, so that is his decision. He is thrilled to have the opportunity he was given.

Have we tweeted to the world or gotten his video on Inside Lacrosse? Nope. He realizes he just made the first step. He now needs to continue to improve his game, gain muscle, work hard in school and continue hanging out with kids who don't party and get in trouble. He knows he is a sophomore, a lot can change in 2 and a half years.

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
I really don't get all of this. My 2017 got no attention last year. He is not an early bloomer, and had to develop confidence and aggressiveness. One of the "experts" told us we had to reclass and have him do a PG year. We ignored him, because life is not about lacrosse. Instead he worked hard, hit the weight room and did some speed training. Early fall he got an offer from a top 5 program and another from a top 20. Much to his younger brothers dismay, the lower ranked lacrosse program is a better fit for his academic interests, so that is his decision. He is thrilled to have the opportunity he was given.

Have we tweeted to the world or gotten his video on Inside Lacrosse? Nope. He realizes he just made the first step. He now needs to continue to improve his game, gain muscle, work hard in school and continue hanging out with kids who don't party and get in trouble. He knows he is a sophomore, a lot can change in 2 and a half years.

Ty Xanders would probably agree did you check with first ?

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

Ty Xanders would probably agree did you check with first ?

I don't know how those crazy, know nothing coaches managed to find him without Xander's expert opinion. Just because a coach has been to the final four or won an NCAA championship doesn't mean he knows more than Ty, right?

My point in posting was don't buy into the hype, and don't be surprised when some of the kids who are committed now become decommited later due to coaching changes or an inability to gain admission to the school. Pick the school that is a great place for your son's intended field of study.

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Yes, of course would be going for academics first, lacrosse second- sorry if that was unclear in the initial post. The lacrosse would help in admissions, though.

Or you could just get a letter of recommendation from Ty Zanders and your kid is all set

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

You will be wise to keep preaching that mentality to your son. What a commitment today and an NLI in December of his senior year really means is he gets scholarship dollars his first year, then a locker with cleats and a uniform. That's it. From there it is sink or swim and neither you or anyone else can help mold an outcome from there. The best kids will see the field and renew scholarship dollars, and the kids who can't play will sit and renew at less scholarship dollars to make the shuffle work for kids who earned ahead o him. The best kids play, and the best chance your son has to be one of them is to be the best prepared and trained kid when he arrives. Anyone telling you otherwise is selling something.

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
How do you determine whether an invitation to a prospect camp is
real interest or just because you did well at a showcase?

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

If your club coach calls you and tells you that "Such and such College" coach called about you and wants you to go to their camp, then there is real interest. Otherwise, coaches get access to player email lists at tourneys and showcases and just send to everyone. Primary purpose of event is to supplement income, if it wasn't they would be free. Even if your club coach sends it to you, that's just his recommendation that you go, not interest from college.

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Some are money making events.

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

If your club coach calls you and tells you that "Such and such College" coach called about you and wants you to go to their camp, then there is real interest. Otherwise, coaches get access to player email lists at tourneys and showcases and just send to everyone. Primary purpose of event is to supplement income, if it wasn't they would be free. Even if your club coach sends it to you, that's just his recommendation that you go, not interest from college.

Everybody's trying to make money from crazy parents trying to get their kids into a better college using lacrosse. When the media point person for lacrosse is a 24-year-old college dropout who is now pushing certain showcases you know things are completely out of control

Most of these events are a waste of money. Be careful. Speak to people who have been through it and been successful. There is a place for every kid and you don't have to spend your life savings

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

Yes correct. But also if they send it to your son (or you) directly or through the club coach the other key is if they open it up to your son BEFORE they open it to general public (which they have to).

Thats why at certain events (like some schools do with their prospect camps) the all star selections are selected privately BEFORE the camp even happens. Reason is, they have strong interest in the kid, have seen him play before and want to take a closer look at the player. Happens all the time.

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Ty on Twitter :
"Not that it's considered gospel by any means, but all 25 of the top 2017's are now committed. That was quick."
Sounds like the might know something!!

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
We all come on here and complain, fight and agrue about what HS lax program is better or rankings or what college or club team is better. But i think we all can agree and feel the same sorrow for the young football player from SWR H.S on L.I. who lost his life tragically last night during a HS football game.

This is so sad and thoughts and prayers go to that young mans family during this horrific time. RIP.

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Ty on Twitter :
"Not that it's considered gospel by any means, but all 25 of the top 2017's are now committed. That was quick."

What are you saying??

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Ty on Twitter :

When people say this moron has no pull in the lacrosse world, you're wrong!! He is the mouth piece and as sad as it is to say, college coaches do listen to this, and influential coaches that are "plugging" their kids. There are many kids that are better than those that have the "IN" but, "all is not fair in the world". It is "who you know" but, in the end...these kids do need to perform, so lets see how it all pans out

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Ty on Twitter :

Considering that Ty uses coach's opinions to create his and IL's list, I would expect the ranked list to go quickly. No surprise in Ty's statement.

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Ty on Twitter :

Considering that Ty uses coach's opinions to create his and IL's list, I would expect the ranked list to go quickly. No surprise in Ty's statement.

He only ranks those players that he is told to rank. As far as speaking to coaches. Do you really think he speaks to all 67 division 1 coaches.....no chance. There are so many conflicts of interest ... No wonder he left Inside Lacrosse. Any body could pick 50 kids that are committed. Even Xy Tanders can do that. What a genius.... The real question is who is he working for now......

The lacrosse world has to do better that this

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Ty on Twitter :

I think most were committed before the list was released, and the others probably had offers. Big deal. I can put together a list of 25 2017 kids who are committed or have multiple offers in an hour. It doesn't mean they are the "top". My son has played with or against some of the kids and they are all good. Are some other unranked kids he knows, as good or better, yep. Have we seen unranked defenders shut down some of the stars, yep, have we seen unranked kids score on ranked kids repeatedly? Yep.

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
What a dumb comment (as usual). Weren't 23 of the 25 already committed when they composed the list ??

Ty on Twitter :

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Ty on Twitter :

I think most were committed before the list was released, and the others probably had offers. Big deal. I can put together a list of 25 2017 kids who are committed or have multiple offers in an hour. It doesn't mean they are the "top". My son has played with or against some of the kids and they are all good. Are some other unranked kids he knows, as good or better, yep. Have we seen unranked defenders shut down some of the stars, yep, have we seen unranked kids score on ranked kids repeatedly? Yep.

Agree completely. He missed a several great kids that don't play on the right teams. Some are outside of Maryland and Long Island. Not in traditional areas
But it doesn't matter much. There will be more credible lists in the future. Everyone know this guy is a joke

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
[quote=Anonymous]What a dumb comment (as usual). Weren't 23 of the 25 already committed when they composed the list ??

And you were expecting something brilliant from this idiot. He should be flipping burgers or parking cars somewhere. He would be much better off keeping quiet and going away.......what has the world come to when a clown like this gets so much attention. Even our kids think he is a joke

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
What a stupid statement, some of the top programs have only one 2017 or no 2017s committed. Syracuse has one, Bryant has 0,

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
What a stupid statement, some of the top programs have only one 2017 or no 2017s committed. Syracuse has one, Bryant has 0,

And several ivies as well have 0 or very few. But what does this have to do with the prior comment or rankings of players ?

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Ty on Twitter :

He only ranks those players that he is told to rank. As far as speaking to coaches. Do you really think he speaks to all 67 division 1 coaches.....no chance. There are so many conflicts of interest ... No wonder he left Inside Lacrosse. Any body could pick 50 kids that are committed. Even Xy Tanders can do that. What a genius.... The real question is who is he working for now......

Ty Xanders is moreso a puppet to the prominent club coaches and owners who are like crystal meth addicts looking to get their kids ranked and committed to decorate their club websites. I am sure he has some audience with most D1 coaches and may have the close ear of some but I think he is more a conduit for the club owners who also put on tourneys or are money involved in showcases. We are all lacrosse parents far enough into this now to understand it is a racket. I am sure Ty Xanders is on his own because there are some bespoke relationships he has in Baltimore, Philly, LI and TriState areas. Instead of the crystal meth addicts (club guys) dealing with a sophisticated audience they get to pull around a 24 year old [lacrosse] clown named Ty. Maybe I am way off or just too tainted by the Crabs organization tie ins to him personally and IL in general. That club owner practically does the write ups and hands it to the likes of Ty or other and if they don't play ball they get whacked to borrow from the Baltimore lacrosse mafia term. This is how mediocre players from families in the gunga get hyped to NCAA coaches, many of whom are too lazy to do their own diligence and sign the short list of recommended kids. Why do you think Hop and UVa and some others have declined and are on a slow train toward sucking these recent years?

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Ty on Twitter :

Ty Xanders is moreso a puppet to the prominent club coaches and owners who are like crystal meth addicts looking to get their kids ranked and committed to decorate their club websites. I am sure he has some audience with most D1 coaches and may have the close ear of some but I think he is more a conduit for the club owners who also put on tourneys or are money involved in showcases. We are all lacrosse parents far enough into this now to understand it is a racket. I am sure Ty Xanders is on his own because there are some bespoke relationships he has in Baltimore, Philly, LI and TriState areas. Instead of the crystal meth addicts (club guys) dealing with a sophisticated audience they get to pull around a 24 year old [lacrosse] clown named Ty. Maybe I am way off or just too tainted by the Crabs organization tie ins to him personally and IL in general. That club owner practically does the write ups and hands it to the likes of Ty or other and if they don't play ball they get whacked to borrow from the Baltimore lacrosse mafia term. This is how mediocre players from families in the gunga get hyped to NCAA coaches, many of whom are too lazy to do their own diligence and sign the short list of recommended kids. Why do you think Hop and UVa and some others have declined and are on a slow train toward sucking these recent years?

Wow, you really have to give up the anger that your kid is not ranked. You are boarderline crazy with your inaccurate over analysis!

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Ty on Twitter :

Yep, and I would be surprised if there was not influence from 3$ as well. I am assuming there is a deal there. Some of those kids are ranked higher than their play suggests, even if they are older.

As far as D1 coaches, why in the world would they let anyone know who they were after until they had them committed? Why get a feeding frenzy started?

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Ty on Twitter :

Wow, you really have to give up the anger that your kid is not ranked. You are boarderline crazy with your inaccurate over analysis!

Actually agree with above comments. Everyone knows there are significant conflicts and that he can claim he unbiased but he it's not the case. By the way who supporting hi website....oh I forgot he made fortune working for IL. He needs to disclose his relationships and funding sources. But it is concerning that this guy would have anyone's ear. Lacrosse will grow to the level that everyone thinks it should with amateurs in the media

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
What is inaccurate about the analysis? The worst kept secret in maryland is Jiloty and Co at IL are indebted to the owner of the Crabs who is an MIAA school alum and former coach and whose club fills rosters or MIAA programs and local colleges like JHU later. Crabs have good teams and good players but why is BL always pre season #1 HS team? Why not Culver or Chaminade until they lose a game? BL would have taken Culver straight up last year? That would have been a great game but #1 ending was who was allocated #1 first by IL. My kid plays for a rival MD club and his friends are Crabs. Due respect to them, but here is the truth and deal with it...Ty Xanders is a Baltimore MIAA school kid who dropped out of college after a year and moved home. His family connections to Crabs owner got him a desk job at IL. Every summer IL gives Crabs kids summer intern jobs. Nothing wrong with that to help kids, but of you think there is no old line Baltimore bias in every single thing IL does you are uninformed.

Here is what I find fascinating...I don't think much of Tu Xanders but he had the stones to leave the nest and I doubt he grew those stones without an implant from someone deep pocketed elsewhere. Maybe a LI guy is backing this venture, but I can nearly assure you it ain't Baltimore money backing this new venture. And if Ty "grows the game" by covering and hyping TriState or Texas or Florida or Cali kids equally to the old line little preppy Bmore kids, then Houston we have a problem. I have no trouble accepting that there are paid for conflicts of interest or a bias in this recruiting stuff. Everything in life has some of it. I do think that whoever in LI or elsewhere who backed this started WW3 & it will pay very well. Events costing $700, tournaments costing $200-400, prospect days costing $200-300 a pop with hundreds or thousands of kids each and the costs are to paint field lines and pay for referees is a gold mine. Own a videography company to film and sell film to participants or highlight reels for hundreds each at the cost of cameras and a guy putting it on a computer. Then have a recruiting coverage and consulting company to hype out participants and get their names and tapes in front of coaches at a cost of Ty Xanders's time and expenses and you can basically run lacrosse parent debit cards all day long for years and years starting when kids are in middle school. Someone is really thinking outside the box to put Ty Xanders in this new role and stir the pot with it on the recruiting circuit and I think it is brilliant. Try getting IL to come cover your Trilogy or 3d or Team91 or LB3 or other event this fall and let me know how that goes later. I am sure they will be too busy to get back to you because they have the new IL events and Crabs tournaments to cover, thank you very much.

And stop it with the jealous hater crap, just my two cents and if you disagree ok then.

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
What is inaccurate about the analysis? The worst kept secret in maryland is Jiloty and Co at IL are indebted to the owner of the Crabs who is an MIAA school alum and former coach and whose club fills rosters or MIAA programs and local colleges like JHU later. Crabs have good teams and good players but why is BL always pre season #1 HS team? Why not Culver or Chaminade until they lose a game? BL would have taken Culver straight up last year? That would have been a great game but #1 ending was who was allocated #1 first by IL. My kid plays for a rival MD club and his friends are Crabs. Due respect to them, but here is the truth and deal with it...Ty Xanders is a Baltimore MIAA school kid who dropped out of college after a year and moved home. His family connections to Crabs owner got him a desk job at IL. Every summer IL gives Crabs kids summer intern jobs. Nothing wrong with that to help kids, but of you think there is no old line Baltimore bias in every single thing IL does you are uninformed.

Here is what I find fascinating...I don't think much of Tu Xanders but he had the stones to leave the nest and I doubt he grew those stones without an implant from someone deep pocketed elsewhere. Maybe a LI guy is backing this venture, but I can nearly assure you it ain't Baltimore money backing this new venture. And if Ty "grows the game" by covering and hyping TriState or Texas or Florida or Cali kids equally to the old line little preppy Bmore kids, then Houston we have a problem. I have no trouble accepting that there are paid for conflicts of interest or a bias in this recruiting stuff. Everything in life has some of it. I do think that whoever in LI or elsewhere who backed this started WW3 & it will pay very well. Events costing $700, tournaments costing $200-400, prospect days costing $200-300 a pop with hundreds or thousands of kids each and the costs are to paint field lines and pay for referees is a gold mine. Own a videography company to film and sell film to participants or highlight reels for hundreds each at the cost of cameras and a guy putting it on a computer. Then have a recruiting coverage and consulting company to hype out participants and get their names and tapes in front of coaches at a cost of Ty Xanders's time and expenses and you can basically run lacrosse parent debit cards all day long for years and years starting when kids are in middle school. Someone is really thinking outside the box to put Ty Xanders in this new role and stir the pot with it on the recruiting circuit and I think it is brilliant. Try getting IL to come cover your Trilogy or 3d or Team91 or LB3 or other event this fall and let me know how that goes later. I am sure they will be too busy to get back to you because they have the new IL events and Crabs tournaments to cover, thank you very much.

And stop it with the jealous hater crap, just my two cents and if you disagree ok then.

Page 16 of 45 1 2 14 15 16 17 18 44 45

Link Copied to Clipboard