BOTC BOTC
The UnD1sputed Showcase (Boys & Girls) in June & the Girls LI Showcase is Open for Registration on CBLaxers.com - Don't Miss Out as 88 Players Only Accepted! | Invest for Growth - ADVERTISE with us!
BOTC GIRLS BOTC BOY BACK OF THE CAGE
BOTC GIRLS BOTC BOY MOST RECENT POSTS
Boys High School Lax
by Anonymous -
BOTC GIRLS BOTC BOY Forum Statistics
Forums20
Topics3,802
Posts385,633
Members2,606
Most Online62,980
Feb 6th, 2020
BOTC GIRLS BOTC BOY FOLLOW US ON TWITTER
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 12 of 52 1 2 10 11 12 13 14 51 52
Re: Boys 2018 Fall 2014/Summer 2015
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Originally Posted by Anonymous
oh my, what a bunch of babies - no wonder your kids can't compete, you want to sit back and have it handed to you. go out and compete against all the 2018's and stop crying. The colleges do not care how old you are they care about when you are graduating HS, when you plan on starting college, how good a player you are and how good a player you are going to be but never how old the kid is.

If your boy was able to compete against his own age you wouldn't have had to make the sleazy choice to re-class. Really should be called--class-less.

That is really what it comes down to- the reclassified kid could not make the cut against kids in his own age group. I think it sends such a sad message to the player, even if it is unintended and not spoken. Think about it, I think kids play it off as a cool thing, because you will hopefully gain something in the end, but everyone else looking in, well they are all thinking the same thing, he could not cut it, so he had no choice but to play with younger kids. In the end, not all reclassed kids will end up where they want, because unfortunately, it seems to be a growing trend, but coaches are not just looking for bigger, or more mature kids, they still have to have skill. What I really do not get, so if your skills are not up to par with your own class, and you drop down a year, or two- and get picked up by a college as an early recruit- aren't you going to spend a lot of time riding the bench in college or even HS once you are back with your own aged players or even when your "new" younger friends reach puberty, like you did a few years earlier. It just seems like it will even out in the end and the message sent, You were not good enough, so we played you with younger kids- will resonate in the back of the player's mind for years to come.

BOTC GIRLS BOTC BOY BACK OF THE CAGE SPONSORS

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
What is so remarkable about these posts is that everyone here thinks there son is getting a full ride and playing at Duke or 'Cuse. AND that college coaches are telling their 8th grader to hold them back a year.

Anyone who has coached PAL knows what a huge advantage one year has over another. So... one year older makes a huge difference in athletic ability, LAX IQ, size and strength. And guess what, a huge number of these kids will not play in college (D1, D2 or D3)

Give me a break. It may be "legal" but it's wrong.

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
oh my, what a bunch of babies - no wonder your kids can't compete, you want to sit back and have it handed to you. go out and compete against all the 2018's and stop crying. The colleges do not care how old you are they care about when you are graduating HS, when you plan on starting college, how good a player you are and how good a player you are going to be but never how old the kid is.

If your boy was able to compete against his own age you wouldn't have had to make the sleazy choice to re-class. Really should be called--class-less.

That is really what it comes down to- the reclassified kid could not make the cut against kids in his own age group. I think it sends such a sad message to the player, even if it is unintended and not spoken. Think about it, I think kids play it off as a cool thing, because you will hopefully gain something in the end, but everyone else looking in, well they are all thinking the same thing, he could not cut it, so he had no choice but to play with younger kids. In the end, not all reclassed kids will end up where they want, because unfortunately, it seems to be a growing trend, but coaches are not just looking for bigger, or more mature kids, they still have to have skill. What I really do not get, so if your skills are not up to par with your own class, and you drop down a year, or two- and get picked up by a college as an early recruit- aren't you going to spend a lot of time riding the bench in college or even HS once you are back with your own aged players or even when your "new" younger friends reach puberty, like you did a few years earlier. It just seems like it will even out in the end and the message sent, You were not good enough, so we played you with younger kids- will resonate in the back of the player's mind for years to come.

If you look at the year ahead of us. This past July in Denver for u15 Nat Championship, that tells you what 2017's are on age because you need a birth certf. to play.

Fact is, the NCAA D1 committed players that were there were MOSTLY the L.I. players.

9 players for FCA National that were there,
Turtles- Smithtown East - M - Hopkins
Turtles- Manhasset - A - Hopkins
Turtles- Smithtown East - FO/M - Ivy commit
Turtles- St.Anthony's - LSM - Bucknell
Turtles- Mt. Sinai - D - Hopkins
Turtles- Manhasset - LSM - Michigan
Turtles- Manhasset - M - North Carolina
Turtles- Smithtown East - A - Fairfield
Team 91- Cold Spring Harbor - A - Virginia

1 player for fl$ that were there,
Manhasset- A - Michigan

So all the above players are ON AGE.

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

Riding the pine at harvard is a great outcome. Go ahead and check the birthdays of the top programs. The ship has sailed on this. True on age is a huge minority.

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

You can be u15 with a fall birthday. You positive all are January and beyond? I doubt it

If you look at the year ahead of us. This past July in Denver for u15 Nat Championship, that tells you what 2017's are on age because you need a birth certf. to play.

Fact is, the NCAA D1 committed players that were there were MOSTLY the L.I. players.

Manhasset- A - Michigan

BOTC GIRLS BOTC BOY Sponsored Links
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

Manhasset- A - Michigan

Some may have been "legal" to play but are hold-backs according to their school districts ct off date. FACT!

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

Manhasset- A - Michigan

Some may have been "legal" to play but are hold-backs according to their school districts ct off date. FACT!

Those that are "on age" but missed their school district cut offs- are most likely the kids that needed some extra time before kindergarten, and had close to the school cut off birth dates. if they were not close to the cut off, they would not have been able to play U15 with a birth certificate.

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

Manhasset- A - Michigan

What in the world are you talking about? If the kid was at u15 as a rising soph than he was on age.

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

Manhasset- A - Michigan

They were ALL "legal" to play!!! They had to submit a birth certf.!!!

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

Manhasset- A - Michigan

The kid in question is in 10th grade at St. Anthonys and playing down in 9th grade. That's cheating. He has yet to repeat or post graduate year.

BOTC GIRLS BOTC BOY Sponsored Links
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

Manhasset- A - Michigan

You are avoiding the point. NOT ALL WERE APPROPRIATE STARTS FOR THEIR BIRTHDATES. In case you don't understand what that means, here on LI they were playing year down in their districts.

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

Manhasset- A - Michigan

Lax cut off is aug 31. School cutoff is dec 1

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
I was actually referring to a well known public HS kid.

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
THAT'S the 2018 fl$ goalie!,,

Way to go Winkoff!

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

great reply except I made the original post and my son is a 2018 born in 2000 - he didn't reclassify, he is competing against his own age and kids a year older and doing fine thank you, I just think kids have every right to reclassify.

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

lax cut off is aug 31. School cutoff is dec 1

now you are just proving to all of us that you are a jackwad. so now you have a problem with a kid that is between 1 day and 3 months older? I am sure you are talking about a lot of kids on ever team now. I can think of at least 5 lax kids in my home town that fall into this category. On behalf of every jock on this site we are sorry we were better athletes then you in high school.

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

now you are just proving to all of us that you are a jackwad. so now you have a problem with a kid that is between 1 day and 3 months older? I am sure you are talking about a lot of kids on ever team now. I can think of at least 5 lax kids in my home town that fall into this category. On behalf of every jock on this site we are sorry we were better athletes then you in high school.

Rules are rules, guess they don't apply to everyone!

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

Most states have SCHOOL cut off at Aug 31st. For some reason NY lets 4 year olds start Kindergarten. When you are in Kindergarten at 4, all the 5 year olds are getting college looks for Ring Around The Rosie. Not fair!

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

Most states have SCHOOL cut off at Aug 31st. For some reason NY lets 4 year olds start Kindergarten. When you are in Kindergarten at 4, all the 5 year olds are getting college looks for Ring Around The Rosie. Not fair!

Still doesn't mean you get to change the rules because you don't like them!

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Still doesn't mean you get to change the rules because you don't like them!

That is actually exactly what it means. The rules are soft. A parent who decided in August of 2004 that their child born in October of 1999 was not yet ready for kindergarten is not a cheater. Their child in now a 2018 and will compete against your son. This kid can actually reclassify and graduate as a 2019 and still be legal to play as a HS senior

I don't like it anymore than you. My son was born spring 2000 and is a 2018. He tries hard. I do not make excuses for him. If he beats out an older boy great. If not too bad. He will learn from his losses. I will not blame others and call them cheaters when they are not.

I do not know wheteher my strategy will be better in the long run or not. Maybe your "cheaters" are just parents trying to do right by their kids and they are just as unsure of themselves as you and I. This is not a black and white topic.

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
the issue is not with school cut off dates. parents that chose one or the other 10 years ago are the the problem. It is the parents and the boys that are reclassing in 8th or 9th grade that are the issue.

PG, I don't have any issue with that either, there is no stigma for a boy that need to go to a prep school for a year to get his grades up to get into harvard...

It is the parents that game the system to get their child to compete against younger boys specifically for the purpose of getting a lax spto that is the problem.

starting kindergarden late and taking a pg year are very different issues ussually made in conjunction with much thought and advice of school officials. But to have little johny repeat 8th or 9th grade for a shot at early recruiting is just sleazy and you know it.

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
This crap was on the 2017 thread last year. It is a beaten horse and it won't change. Give it a rest already.

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
great to see some rational posts here on this topic. I too think it is not cheating, I think it is kinda creepy if it is only being done because of lacrosse and I would not do it with my kid but i do not think it is cheating it is working the system to your advantage and one way or the other most people do that when they can.

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Kind of creepy? of course they are cheating and they know it. The edge is only for a few years, after the playing filed is level, true athletes don't need the edge. Good luck to the cheaters, they will need it

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
2017 goalie in 10th grade at
St.Anthony's playing on a 2018 fl$ team. Is going to supposedly repeat 12th grade. How is this not cheating. Repeat a year then play with the younger age group or PG and be a year older than the average freshman. What this player and his parents are doing is cheating. Come on please explain to me how what this player is doing isn't cheating. PG and repeating are fine. Saying you will repeat at a future date is B.S.

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
St.Anthony's playing on a 2018 fl$ team. Is going to supposedly repeat 12th grade. How is this not cheating. Repeat a year then play with the younger age group or PG and be a year older than the average freshman. What this player and his parents are doing is cheating. Come on please explain to me how what this player is doing isn't cheating. PG and repeating are fine. Saying you will repeat at a future date is B.S.

I don't condone it. However, lacrosse is obviously a sport where anything goes. Just call yourself whatever you want and play wherever you want. No rules, no regulations. The problem is systemic and is getting out of control. Makes you think, why not take the same liberties? I think I'll have my 6'2" 174LB 2017 who runs like a dear, drop down to 2019 for 3d. Why not? I'll just say he's going to re-class this year and PG. I could say anything, it doesn't matter, no rules. If anyone complains, I'll just tell them to stop whining and deal with it. They said you could sign up for whatever grade you want. It really is that simple.

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Kind of creepy? of course they are cheating and they know it. The edge is only for a few years, after the playing filed is level, true athletes don't need the edge. Good luck to the cheaters, they will need it

the "edge" for a few years is all they need, that "edge" will be in 8th-9th and 10th grade when they commit to a school for lacrosse after that they don't care if others catch up they are already committed to the school of their dreams

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

I don't condone it but it makes sense to me, if he is going to start his freshman year in college in September of 2018 then even though he is currently in 10th grade he should be competing in 2018 events because the college coaches want to see him compete against other kids in his incoming class to evaluate him against his future freshman peers

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Can we move the club specific conversation ot the club pages. Fall Freshman year is a no joke season for recruiting. My son and I are completely lost.

Our Club is going to what I think are good events. Can somebody please list/rank the Fall 2014 events for 2018 CLub teams and your view on priority ranking. I think Philly Freshman (team event on Sunday) is tops but not sure. Is the fl$ 3d fall event a good event?

For individuals:
Philly Freshman (Saturday individual) - is thie number one as well?
Jake Reed Fall - in Charlotte and same weekend as Philly
Inside Lacrosse Regional - This is only one month away and is also in North Carolina. Is anyone going?

I don't know what else is out there. Please share opinions.

With a limited budget we wnat to make sure we go to the right events.

Before anyone goes nuts, below is just one man's opinion...
Fall Individual:
1. Freshman Philly
2. Jake Reed, but same weekend as Philly. If invited to both, must go to Philly. If not go to JR
3. Legacy, NE Fall 120 Showcase, Loaded with D1 coaches.
4. Nat 175
5. K&J, Island Uprising, others
Also, cannot underestimate the value of individual College Prospect days for schools your son has interest in, or for those who have shown interest in your son.
Personally, my son is doing 2or3 showcases 2or3 tourns and a couple of school prospect days. Which by the way is way too much. However, with college prospect days, tourns and showcases your son could be playing every weekend from mid Sept to December. Crazy.

Where can one find the info on prospect days.

If your son did any recruiting level events this past summer, he must have received emails. Check his email box. They have been coming for a while. Not bragging, just whats happening.
tweets from @ilinvitational begging clubs to nominate players to their showcase which is 1.5 weeks away. Trying hard not be a hater but this is definitely a buyer beware type of communication.

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
My son just turned 19 last week. He is two years out of high school.
If I left him back in kinder garden and reclassified him in 8th grade he would be playing his senior year.
It would be a man playing against boys- plain and simple

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

I don't condone it but it makes sense to me, if he is going to start his freshman year in college in September of 2018 then even though he is currently in 10th grade he should be competing in 2018 events because the college coaches want to see him compete against other kids in his incoming class to evaluate him against his future freshman peers

But he hasn't reclassified yet!!!!! That's the thing. He has yet to do so. He is reaping all the benefits with out putting in the actual sacrifice. The stigma with actually repeating a year is tough to handle. What happens if he doesn't reclassify. Stranger things have happened. fl$ I want you to know my 2018 will be repeating and doing a PG so I want him playing 2020 next year. Think about it people.

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
I think you are overstating the reclassify "stigma". Those in the lax world completely understand that it's a response to early recruiting. In the past a kid that didn't like the looks he was getting would PG. Now college coaches at recruiting seminars are telling parents not to PG unless you have an offer in hand prior to doing so. Outside of the lax world, I'm sure people assume the reclassify kids are poor students or have social issues - but that's because they are uneducated about the process. I try my hardest to not make decisions based upon other peoples' uneducated opinions.

And if your 2018 plays with 2020 and gets an offer to the 2020 class he would actually have to reclassify and PG. To my knowledge, I have not seen a situation where a kid plays down to shine against much younger competition and then commits to their original grad year.

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

But he hasn't reclassified yet!!!!! That's the thing. He has yet to do so. He is reaping all the benefits with out putting in the actual sacrifice. The stigma with actually repeating a year is tough to handle. What happens if he doesn't reclassify. Stranger things have happened. fl$ I want you to know my 2018 will be repeating and doing a PG so I want him playing 2020 next year. Think about it people.

I saw a kid play 2017 in one tourney and commit as 2016 a few weeks later. I agree this is crazy. If you have already repeated the grade, fine, if you plan on it in the future play with your current grad year. In hockey you play at birth year. Certainly they all play juniors if they want to go D1 but players make the choice to play up, never down. I foresee lawsuits when a 200 lb 17 year old seriously injures a small 15 year old. Most of the time the kids who are playing down are not skilled, think they are better than they really are and they will end up hurting someone.

Guess what I am jealous of no one my age appropriate son has a couple of top D1 offers and he's not even big for his age.

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
I think you are overstating the reclassify "stigma". Those in the lax world completely understand that it's a response to early recruiting. In the past a kid that didn't like the looks he was getting would PG. Now college coaches at recruiting seminars are telling parents not to PG unless you have an offer in hand prior to doing so. Outside of the lax world, I'm sure people assume the reclassify kids are poor students or have social issues - but that's because they are uneducated about the process. I try my hardest to not make decisions based upon other peoples' uneducated opinions.

And if your 2018 plays with 2020 and gets an offer to the 2020 class he would actually have to reclassify and PG. To my knowledge, I have not seen a situation where a kid plays down to shine against much younger competition and then commits to their original grad year.

No issue with a re-class year or PG. I understand it extremely well. But don't say you will do it it in the future and play down. If a 2017 repeats 9th and plays with 9th graders thats fine. Playing by the rules. This example is a 10th Grader still in 10th grade playing down with 9th graders.

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Congrats on your kid's offers. That must be quite a relief! If you don't mind sharing, I was wondering about how multiple d1 offers works. I assume he is a 2018. Has he gotten any pressure to commit? From what I have heard if you are one of their first offers you have more time to commit than if you are one of the last to receive an offer. I've also heard stories about kids getting offers that "expire" quickly (a few weeks) and that seems a lot of pressure for a kid that young considering how important a decision it is. Any info you are comfortable sharing would be really helpful and very much appreciated.

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Wow that is wrong they cut there 2018 goalie.
He got cut for an older kid who might re classify

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Wow that is wrong they cut there 2018 goalie.
He got cut for an older kid who might re classify

Who are you talking about?

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
fl$

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Even better.. fl$ 2018 had two goalies and they cut the stronger one. The one they kept is besties with the fl$ director's family... yeah fl$ is soo much more ethical than all the other clubs. Please.

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
This crap was on the 2017 thread last year. It is a beaten horse and it won't change. Give it a rest already.

Give it a rest, why?

Page 12 of 52 1 2 10 11 12 13 14 51 52

Link Copied to Clipboard