BOTC BOTC
The UnD1sputed Showcase (Boys & Girls) in June & the Girls LI Showcase is Open for Registration on CBLaxers.com - Don't Miss Out as 88 Players Only Accepted! | Invest for Growth - ADVERTISE with us!
BOTC GIRLS BOTC BOY BACK OF THE CAGE
BOTC GIRLS BOTC BOY MOST RECENT POSTS
Girls High School
by Anonymous -
Boys High School
by Anonymous -
BOTC GIRLS BOTC BOY Forum Statistics
Forums20
Topics3,802
Posts385,595
Members2,606
Most Online62,980
Feb 6th, 2020
BOTC GIRLS BOTC BOY FOLLOW US ON TWITTER
Previous Thread
Next Thread
New Reply
Print Thread
Rate Thread
College Recruitment without current tournament team - 2018
Back of THE CAGE
OP Offline
Back of THE CAGE
My son is a 2018, just starting 9th grade and hasn't tried out for any teams for the next year. He played a few years on A level teams and last year played town team ball on JV for the summer. There won't be a team next year and he won't be eligible for varsity until 10th grade. He is a goalie. Question is this; he will continue with training, play JV in the spring, go to some individual showcases in the summer, but is that enough to get seen? Does a family really need to spend thousands upon thousand for there child to be seen and recruited?

Like Reply Quote
BOTC GIRLS BOTC BOY BACK OF THE CAGE SPONSORS

Re: College Recruitment without current tournament team - 2018
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Goalie is an interesting position for recruiting, by and large once a school verbally commits to a goalie they usually only take one per class, if they take two (Army and Air force seem to take a few each year) the rarely will give money to two in the same year, some schools will only give money to goalies every other year so they will only have two on the roster at any one time getting money (or significant money) If I was in your shoes I would make a list of all the schools (except UNC they already have their goalie) that I thought he might be interested in and has the grades to get in, send e-mails to all the coaches (head coach and the Asst. in charge of recruiting) and go to their prospect days and camps. The individual showcases are not the greatest place for a goalie, no team defense and lots of run and gun. I think a goalie can be better seen over an extended time at the prospect camps or summer camps at the schools. Make a good highlight tape, don't be over concerned with saves, everybody has saves on their highlight reel, you want to show outlet passes, ground balls and running up the field try to show athleticism if it is there. good luck

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
No They don't. Although some parents will tell you otherwise. He should be thinking of some schools he wants to go to. See what camps/shawcases that coach does and enter them. Make sure you reach out tot he coach beforehand to tell him you are interested in the school and want him to take a look at you. spending 5k to 10k a summer for travel teams does not guarantee you a look from coaches. Especially these teams that have over 25 kids on the team. Will the coach be looking at you and will he know when you are in or not. If you have a stud on that team that is a ball hog how will you know that he saw you when you finally got the ball. You have no clue! Have your son go to the camps and showcases on his own. They will spot his talent either in a game or a drill. These coaches have eyes and ears everywhere at their camps.

Like Reply Quote
Back of THE CAGE
OP Offline
Back of THE CAGE
Thanks for the reply. It is appreciated. Difficult to try and make sure you are doing the right thing for your child when you have a few others to consider as well.

Like Reply Quote
Back of THE CAGE
OP Offline
Back of THE CAGE
Thanks for the reply and the feedback. It really is appreciated. Amazing how some good not always the bs and the bashing can come from this site.

Like Reply Quote
BOTC GIRLS BOTC BOY Sponsored Links
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
well, I appreciate the comments above, and perhaps it is different for goalie. My boy is a year older and middie. The coaches he reached (about half that he contacted) sent back a questionnaire that asked for highlight tape, grades, schedule of events to be attended, HS coach, club coach... A few also sent the prospect day flyer. But since they can't reach out to you directly, you need to tell his JV and Varsity coaches which schools in the event they may actually make contact. Best of luck to your son.

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
so many ways to look at this-

We know some that have just gotten 60% scholorship to a $52,000 school. What no one ever says is they paid about about $4,000 a year to club for 6 or 7 years and many pay more than that!

So although the 52,000 school now costs 21,000 you need to add back in another $7,000 per year if you are honest because you pre-paid with your club payments. So net net you are going to a 52,000 school for 28,000 which is great.

After dealing with this before, go the academic honors award route, way more money with less variables.

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Originally Posted by Anonymous
Goalie is an interesting position for recruiting, by and large once a school verbally commits to a goalie they usually only take one per class, if they take two (Army and Air force seem to take a few each year) the rarely will give money to two in the same year, some schools will only give money to goalies every other year so they will only have two on the roster at any one time getting money (or significant money) If I was in your shoes I would make a list of all the schools (except UNC they already have their goalie) that I thought he might be interested in and has the grades to get in, send e-mails to all the coaches (head coach and the Asst. in charge of recruiting) and go to their prospect days and camps. The individual showcases are not the greatest place for a goalie, no team defense and lots of run and gun. I think a goalie can be better seen over an extended time at the prospect camps or summer camps at the schools. Make a good highlight tape, don't be over concerned with saves, everybody has saves on their highlight reel, you want to show outlet passes, ground balls and running up the field try to show athleticism if it is there. good luck

Great advice.

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Originally Posted by Anonymous
so many ways to look at this-

We know some that have just gotten 60% scholorship to a $52,000 school. What no one ever says is they paid about about $4,000 a year to club for 6 or 7 years and many pay more than that!

So although the 52,000 school now costs 21,000 you need to add back in another $7,000 per year if you are honest because you pre-paid with your club payments. So net net you are going to a 52,000 school for 28,000 which is great.

After dealing with this before, go the academic honors award route, way more money with less variables.

agree with the logic but I find not taking a summer vacation and instead doing what I and my son love which is spending weekends together at lax tournaments is kind of a push money wise - $7,000 for summer lacrosse, travels ect vs. $7,000 in Disney - this may not be the choice for everybody but for us it works.

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Originally Posted by goaliedad
My son is a 2018, just starting 9th grade and hasn't tried out for any teams for the next year. He played a few years on A level teams and last year played town team ball on JV for the summer. There won't be a team next year and he won't be eligible for varsity until 10th grade. He is a goalie. Question is this; he will continue with training, play JV in the spring, go to some individual showcases in the summer, but is that enough to get seen? Does a family really need to spend thousands upon thousand for there child to be seen and recruited?

Just curious. If there won't be a summer town team, are the other boys playing club or not playing at all ? Tough to get recruited if they are not out there to be seen.

Like Reply Quote
BOTC GIRLS BOTC BOY Sponsored Links
Back of THE CAGE
OP Offline
Back of THE CAGE
This is in Northport. They will be carrying a Varsity travel team and as stated, they are setting up one of the weekly league situations. SO curious, if i should have him tryout for that and play it as well. The premise there i guess is they keep the town team together, but they will be playing other town level JV teams during the week and it doesn't really conflict with club ball. Also, the bulk of the players who he played with on jv summer ball are older and moving up this year to varsity so they are covered.

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Goaliedad, Your son is a 2018, an NCAA coach cannot contact you directly he would need to go through a HS or club coach. If he's not on a club team this Summer and only played middle school lax, assuming a college coach is interested, who do they contact? And if your son played last Summer on Northport's JV team as one of the goalies is he not good enough to make their varsity Summer team that according to you plays against JV teams? Its unclear from your posts if your goal is an athletic scholarship or just to have him play in college at some level. As one of the earlier posters correctly stated there is much more scholarship money available for academics then sports. You also need coach recommendations for the better individual showcases. Do you have to be on a Summer club team to get noticed by college coaches? No. But it is a whole lot easier. Why is he not still playing for the "A" level clubs he previously played for?

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
If a kid wants to play in college they can especially if he is a goalie, PERIOD!! Plenty of spots on low D1 teams D2, D3 and Club Teams. In some instances you are really sacrificing academics. Don't be one of those parents that sends their kid to a terrible $50,000 school just so he/she can play some lacrosse. Look for the perfect fit and don't be backed into a corner waiting for that relatively small athletic scholarship offering.

Like Reply Quote
Back of THE CAGE
OP Offline
Back of THE CAGE
right on your point. to me, all that matters is about if he can utilize this to open doors and help him get into and possibly pay for school or help pay for some of this, not much more than that.
He has siblings to go as well.

Like Reply Quote
Back of THE CAGE
OP Offline
Back of THE CAGE
I would say he is definitely good enough to make varsity this summer. unsure how much playing time he would see, but that is something I need to look into.

Like Reply Quote
Quick Reply

Options
HTML is disabled
UBBCode is enabled
CAPTCHA Verification

Link Copied to Clipboard