BOTC BOTC
The UnD1sputed Showcase (Boys & Girls) in June & the Girls LI Showcase is Open for Registration on CBLaxers.com - Don't Miss Out as 88 Players Only Accepted! | Invest for Growth - ADVERTISE with us!
BOTC GIRLS BOTC BOY BACK OF THE CAGE
BOTC GIRLS BOTC BOY MOST RECENT POSTS
Boys 2030 Midatlantic
by Anonymous -
BOTC GIRLS BOTC BOY Forum Statistics
Forums20
Topics3,802
Posts384,889
Members2,606
Most Online62,980
Feb 6th, 2020
BOTC GIRLS BOTC BOY FOLLOW US ON TWITTER
Previous Thread
Next Thread
New Reply
Print Thread
Rate Thread
What's Your View? Increased Safety
Back of THE CAGE
OP Offline
Back of THE CAGE
The inherent dangers associated with a heavy rubberized lacrosse ball striking a youngster are always present and occasionally tragic news follows. Is there anything to be said about equipment and safety here - or is this just inherent to the game? What are your views?

Twelve-Year-Old in NY Killed by Blow to Chest

The Rochester Democrat and Chronicle has reported that 12-year-old Tyler Kopp (Brighton, NY), a seventh-grader at Twelve Corners Middle School, died after being hit in the chest by a lacrosse ball.

Tyler "died at Strong Memorial Hospital, where he had been treated ... about 6:45 p.m. Thursday [after sustaining the blow during] a game at Unity Health System Total Sports Experience in Gates.

"After Tyler was hit, he collapsed to the floor and stopped breathing. Although an off-duty Rochester firefighter administered mouth-to-mouth rescuscitation until a Gates Volunteer Ambulance crew began delivering aid four minutes later, Tyler never regained consciousness."

According to the report, an automated external defibrillator was not used, and it was unknown whether one was available. AEDs are often present, and in places required, at athletic venues in order to deal with commotio cordis, a potentially fatal disruption of the heart's rhythm that can occur as result of blunt force to the chest.

Like Reply Quote
BOTC GIRLS BOTC BOY BACK OF THE CAGE SPONSORS

Re: What's Your View? Increased Safety
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Obviously, an extremely sad turn of events. I feel horrible for his family. My son is the same age as this young man and he is a laxer also and he actually was the one who found the story online in my house. The 1st thing my son said was "Dad, I wonder if he had a good pair of shoulder pads with a heart guard protection."

Point is good equipment can possibility help prevent something like this, but you truly never do know. But, at MOST games/tournament there is NOT an EMT/Ambulance presence WHATSOEVER! Also, coaches should be required to be trained in CPR or the ability to use AED's.

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Very, very sad event. Something I can not comprehend.

Interesting reading the full article, he was hit with a pass, not even a shot. Wonder if it's just a freak accident. Even a fairly hard pass would seem to be insignificant to a 12 year old athletic boy.

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Originally Posted by Anonymous
Obviously, an extremely sad turn of events. I feel horrible for his family. My son is the same age as this young man and he is a laxer also and he actually was the one who found the story online in my house. The 1st thing my son said was "Dad, I wonder if he had a good pair of shoulder pads with a heart guard protection."

Point is good equipment can possibility help prevent something like this, but you truly never do know. But, at MOST games/tournament there is NOT an EMT/Ambulance presence WHATSOEVER! Also, coaches should be required to be trained in CPR or the ability to use AED's.

It thought that an AED had to be at all sporting events in NY-that piece of equipment is the difference between life and death. We have an amazing group on LI that donates AEDs and educates communities. The Louis Acampora group-they lost a son to similar circumstances- I believe he was around the same age-13. We have parents on both our travel and school teams that have AEDs and bring them to all games.

Like Reply Quote
Back of THE CAGE
Back of THE CAGE
AED's are extremely important and every venue should have access to them. In this situation, it may have saved a life. What a sad sad day. Our prayers and thoughts are with this family. I think that these life saving devices should be mandatory, especially at sporting events, I wouldn't want to have that feeling floating around in the back of my mind well........"what if"

Like Reply Quote
BOTC GIRLS BOTC BOY Sponsored Links
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Originally Posted by Laxinator
AED's are extremely important and every venue should have access to them. In this situation, it may have saved a life. What a sad sad day. Our prayers and thoughts are with this family. I think that these life saving devices should be mandatory, especially at sporting events, I wouldn't want to have that feeling floating around in the back of my mind well........"what if"

Every parents worst nightmare. My deepest sympathies go out to this family. How devastated they must be. I have a 12 yr old son as well and I could not even imagine the pain these poor people must be feeling. RIP Tyler.

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Hope the kid who took the shot was the same age and not older. I know it could happen anytime but it possibly brings up the issue of stacking teams with older kids just to win. Prayers to Kopp family!

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
What about girls who don't even wear pads. Even the threat of getting hit in the head without helmets is upsetting. I have seen so many girls get hit in the head by balls and slashing sticks it is scary. I have a son who plays too, always seemed much more secure with all the protective gear he puts on compared to the girls, but this is an upsetting story. Prayers to the family.

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
There are many people who feel the shoulder pads with the increased chest guard are actually more dangerous. The theory is the impact of the shot is distributed throughout the chest and not just isolated to the area impacted. One thing is sure, these types of injuries need to be studied to get a better handle how to prevent.

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
There are many people who feel the shoulder pads with the increased chest guard are actually more dangerous. The theory is the impact of the shot is distributed throughout the chest and not just isolated to the area impacted. One thing is sure, these types of injuries need to be studied to get a better handle how to prevent.

I have never heard that about shoulder pads with a better heart guard protection is more dangerous. Thats says strange, I'm not saying I don't believe your research it just sounds strange.

Like Reply Quote
BOTC GIRLS BOTC BOY Sponsored Links
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Last year I saw a 13 year old boy take a shot of a ball to his carotid artery. He went down flat knocked out. At the hospital they said he was EXTREMELY lucky his carotid artery could have ruptured.

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
what would be the "best" shoulder pad/equipment to use, what is recommwnded???

Like Reply Quote
Back of THE CAGE
OP Offline
Back of THE CAGE
During this morning, we received a message from one of our message board contributors that in part included the following:

Originally Posted by Private Message
As a mother of a 13 year old that plays defense, I know that as a defensive player, he along with his other defensemen are the last line before the goal. They are the defenders in front of the goalie. It seems so important today that a lax players shot has to be 90mph, or faster. Why?? My son loves the game as do we, we love to watch and know that he has that type of personality where he will do anything to stop the attack. I don't think it is necessary for a player to shoot a lax ball at over 90mph at a net or goalie, maybe we should all take it down a few notches. Maybe how fast you shoot a ball should not be so important.
This private discussion brought back the days of High School Physics :

Force = Mass x Acceleration.

Our private message is correct that the ability to "rip a shot" has increased in the younger age groups thanks to technology advances such as lighter sticks and heads.

So, it would seem that since we cannot tell players to "shoot softer", isn't the answer that a lighter weight ball, particularly at the youth ages, is needed?

Comments?

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
In participating in sports, the player assumes certain risks, injuries are one thing, your life......well it's priceless. I do think that the weight of the ball should be a factor, especially in youth lacrosse. In youth football, don't they use a smaller ball, one that can be handled by smaller hands and smaller bodies. It makes sense!!!!

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
what would be the "best" shoulder pad/equipment to use, what is recommwnded???

I would say Maverick Rome or STX K18, excellent built in heart guard in those two pads.

Like Reply Quote
Back of THE CAGE
OP Offline
Back of THE CAGE
Further to this discussion on BOTC, we have received an update covering the Suffolk PAL's position and enforcement on AED placement at fields used for organized competition.
Originally Posted by Private Message
To update you on what we are doing here in Suffolk County, PAL has instructed each league to have AED's at their home fields, if they do not comply, they will be fined by PAL $500.00. Someone in our community purchased one AED and we are in the process of raising enough money to purchase a 2nd one so that we can have one at each of our home fields. Our director has arranged to qualify our coaches on the use of AED's.
BOTC applauds this move and is pleased to see increased training being offered on a town club by club basis.

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Once again, a tragedy, and our prayers a to all those affected by it. These types of events are most commonly the result of the impact occuring at the same time the heart is at its Most vulnerable point. The use of chest gear does help but may never be able to completely protect against this event. I would be very interested in seeing statistics based on numbers of players today versus those in the past when equipment was not mandated and the incidence of these events. Aed/CPR availability and training is the best single intervention available today. These events respond very well to a rapid response and treatment. Again the need for TRAINED individuals is imperative, equipment can not save lives without proper training. Everyone can help by obtaining training and retraining on a yearly basis. One life is too many to lose without intervention. Our town program requires an aed at each field a game is played, we have not gotten to the point where they are at practices, however I have purchased and carry one of my own. Hopping to never need it.

Like Reply Quote
Back of THE CAGE
Back of THE CAGE
The new STX Cell 2 shoulder pads have the built in heart guard and there is additional padding behind it on the inside. It is one of the best ones I have seen. I bought it for my 8 year old he loves it. Value priced at $100 at various sites.

Like Reply Quote
Back of THE CAGE
OP Offline
Back of THE CAGE
From Jim Donovan, President of NJJLL

With the tragic passing of the 12 yr. old lacrosse player in Upstate New [lacrosse], Commotio Cordis awareness, prevention and definition leads the discussion of youth lacrosse. I think I can speak for all of us in the NJJLL that our thoughts and prayers go out to his family.

We as a league, urge each of our programs to stay diligent in when dealing with the safety of our players. Concussion awareness and commotio cordis are two topics that all of our coaches must be educated on, and trained. Although, commotion cordis is a rare event that needs to be triggered at the right time, devices and proper training should be in place if this does occur.

Portable defilbulators have proven a powerful tool in treatment. I strongly urge that each program invest in this powerful tool. I realize that it comes with a heavy price tag but in the event that it’s needed, you’ll be grateful for that investment.

Program directors need to insure that all coaches are educated on these safety issues; I have included a link about commotion cordis. Please read it and further educate yourselves on this subject. We will be discussing this at our coaches’ clinic on March 11th and throughout the year. We have been in contact with a company that manufactures AED’s (the device that seems to be the best effective treatment of commotion cordis.)

http://emedicine.medscape.com/article/902504-treatment

I wish everyone a fantastic season

Sincerely

Jim D, President,NJJLL

jdonovan@njlacrosse.com
seamusdonovan@yahoo.com

Like Reply Quote
Re: What
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous