BOTC BOTC
The UnD1sputed Showcase (Boys & Girls) in June & the Girls LI Showcase is Open for Registration on CBLaxers.com - Don't Miss Out as 88 Players Only Accepted! | Invest for Growth - ADVERTISE with us!
BOTC GIRLS BOTC BOY BACK OF THE CAGE
BOTC GIRLS BOTC BOY MOST RECENT POSTS
Girls High School
by Anonymous -
BOTC GIRLS BOTC BOY Forum Statistics
Forums20
Topics3,802
Posts385,630
Members2,606
Most Online62,980
Feb 6th, 2020
BOTC GIRLS BOTC BOY FOLLOW US ON TWITTER
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 6 of 52 1 2 4 5 6 7 8 51 52
Re: Boys 2018 Fall 2014/Summer 2015
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Yes, this is a prospect camp. Like most others the vast majority of the slots will be filled by first come first serve players of dillusional parents willing to drop cash on any and everything. If you are on Duke's rader you have already heard from Duke (through your HS and/or Club) and missing this event will not get you crossed off their list. If you are not on Duke's rader this is not the sort of event that will get you there. This is a glorified summer camp with the difference as already noted being that it is only one day and takes place in the fall. This is not unique to Duke. Prospect Camps are only worthwhile if you are on the school's 20-30 player short list. If you are on the list going to prospect camp is optional especially if it conflicts with club or school play.

BOTC GIRLS BOTC BOY BACK OF THE CAGE SPONSORS

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Originally Posted by Anonymous
Yes, this is a prospect camp. Like most others the vast majority of the slots will be filled by first come first serve players of dillusional parents willing to drop cash on any and everything. If you are on Duke's rader you have already heard from Duke (through your HS and/or Club) and missing this event will not get you crossed off their list. If you are not on Duke's rader this is not the sort of event that will get you there. This is a glorified summer camp with the difference as already noted being that it is only one day and takes place in the fall. This is not unique to Duke. Prospect Camps are only worthwhile if you are on the school's 20-30 player short list. If you are on the list going to prospect camp is optional especially if it conflicts with club or school play.

yes and no - I know of two kids that were not on anybody's watch list and went to one of these (one was my son) without having been contacted first and wound up getting recruited by those schools. this is an excellent way to get on that list if you are not on it. An "unknown" is not going to get recruited because of a one day event like this but if they perform well and stand out they certainly can become a "known". I don't think that Duke has a 20-30 kid watch list that is impenetrable by a HS freshman at this point.

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

yes and no - I know of two kids that were not on anybody's watch list and went to one of these (one was my son) without having been contacted first and wound up getting recruited by those schools. this is an excellent way to get on that list if you are not on it. An "unknown" is not going to get recruited because of a one day event like this but if they perform well and stand out they certainly can become a "known". I don't think that Duke has a 20-30 kid watch list that is impenetrable by a HS freshman at this point.

I will add: You need to know your kid! Perhaps by asking yourself the following questions, you can make a better decision about an event like this. Is he a starter on one of the top 4 or 5 A teams on LI? Is he a top scorer? Is he a lock down defender? An unbeatable face off kid? Did he play JV last year? Will he be on Varsity this spring? Did he play and compete in any Varsity level events this past summer? Has he received any other legitimate ACC level interest? If the answer to all or most of these questions is yes, then I say give it a shot. If the answer is no to all or most, you're putting your son in a tough spot. I think if the kid can show well against the kids they're already interested in, you might open some eyes.

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Granted its all about recruiting now for 2018. However, What's the feeling out there about the some of the 2018 A teams? Any thoughts on who'll be more or less competitive? Player movement or impacts? No axe to grind just lax talk.

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
I imagine Terps and Extreme will be very strong as usual. The MD teams will be strong as will the Dukes.

Big growth year for boys so I think that can have an impact this year and perhaps some teams that were not always the strongest, can have better success. Should be a fun fall...

BOTC GIRLS BOTC BOY Sponsored Links
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Granted its all about recruiting now for 2018. However, What's the feeling out there about the some of the 2018 A teams? Any thoughts on who'll be more or less competitive? Player movement or impacts? No axe to grind just lax talk.

Way too early to tell. You have Extreme and Terps....then it is a crap shoot. Tryouts have barely started.

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

Way too early to tell. You have Extreme and Terps....then it is a crap shoot. Tryouts have barely started.

Was at fl$ and my son made it to day and didn't make the team. They look real good if some of kids accept.

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Well if fl$ continues to loose players to Extreme and Terps in 2018 age group and not fill those positions with quality replacements they will be in trouble. They also need to cut the dead wood from their team they seem to stay loyal to even though thay are on a steady decline and hurt their team. A number of their better players were at the 91 tryout.

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Serious question for the crowd.

If you have a non-hotbed travel team of 9th grade kids, some of whom have the talent and desire to play DIII, others maybe higher, but none of whom are the type to get high DI early recruiting attention, is there any real benefit to paying a bunch of money to attend one hotbed recruiting tournament this Fall? Will DIII or non-early recruiting DI or DII coaches even going to come to their games to watch 9th graders?

This is not about my son, for whom we would only have play because he really likes the boys on his team and the sport. But the (parent) coaches just sent out an email making this Fall season all about the recruiting process (in order to justify very high fees).

What's the deal? I know it's a money grab, but is there any benefit to it recruiting-wise?

PS - I assume with near 100% confidence that there is ZERO recruiting benefit for a 2019 player to attend the weekend, if not a dominant stud (not). Correct?

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

Outlaws has the potential to be a much stronger team this year, we'll see how they shape up. Good luck to all.

BOTC GIRLS BOTC BOY Sponsored Links
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

If you have a non-hotbed travel team of 9th grade kids, some of whom have the talent and desire to play DIII, others maybe higher, but none of whom are the type to get high DI early recruiting attention, is there any real benefit to paying a bunch of money to attend one hotbed recruiting tournament this Fall? Will DIII or non-early recruiting DI or DII coaches even going to come to their games to watch 9th graders?

This is not about my son, for whom we would only have play because he really likes the boys on his team and the sport. But the (parent) coaches just sent out an email making this Fall season all about the recruiting process (in order to justify very high fees).

What's the deal? I know it's a money grab, but is there any benefit to it recruiting-wise?

PS - I assume with near 100% confidence that there is ZERO recruiting benefit for a 2019 player to attend the weekend, if not a dominant stud (not). Correct?

Don't waste the money and time. If there are D3 potential players, they can wait until maybe fall or summer of junior year to start heavy with showcases. If they are low level D1 I would say summer between sophomore and junior years. This summer will be a waste mostly. Try to get them better and play best competition possible without being over their heads this year. Don't buy into the hype or money grabs. Vast majority of kids are not making commitments to play college ball until summer after junior year. There is plenty of time. If they are interested in a particular school (D-3, low D1). Start sending video, making contact with colleges after soph to junior summer. No harm if done earlier if a strong interest in particular schools, but not necessary for that level despite the hype and perceived pressure mostly from parents.

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
In the history of BOTC this is the best and most realistic question and answer I have ever seen. Perfection. Thank you

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Has anyone's son received a Maverik Showtime invite yet? Have they been sent out already?

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
First official 2018 from Long Island. Terps Villani committs to Maryland

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

Kid goes from Terps to Extreme to Terps. Grass is not always greener. Good for him.

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

Won't even start on his varsity team. Ha!

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

Kid goes from Terps to Extreme to Terps. Grass is not always greener. Good for him.

Two 91 Extreme starters left them for Terps this year. Must not be all sunshine and roses playing for SL

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

And doesn't play football, imagine that!

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

Congrats you Villani! Nice.

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

Kid can't find his way from lunch room to Earth Science class - only in high school 3 days but he knows Maryland is where he wants to go to college?

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Has anyone's son received a Maverik Showtime invite yet? Have they been sent out already?

For those 2018 who have't committed, can anyone confirm? We have not received but were told to expect one.

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

Congrats Christian, all your friends here in Smithtown are very proud of you

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

That Varsity team is loaded with D1 commits and will only be adding more with a few of the incoming 9th grade boys

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

For those 2018 who have't committed, can anyone confirm? We have not received but were told to expect one.

Just got it

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

Wow!!! Looks to me like SL couldn't get 'er done so they needed to put 'er in the hands of someone more capable. Nice job Channy!!!

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
You're not going to Start when three fourths of the roster are D1 commits, Good kid, Good family, he'll be fine>

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

That Varsity team is loaded with D1 commits and will only be adding more with a few of the incoming 9th grade boys

Does he go to East or West ?

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

West is done, East is the cool kid in town now!

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

East

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
What position does this kid play from Smithtown wast.

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

If you have a non-hotbed travel team of 9th grade kids, some of whom have the talent and desire to play DIII, others maybe higher, but none of whom are the type to get high DI early recruiting attention, is there any real benefit to paying a bunch of money to attend one hotbed recruiting tournament this Fall? Will DIII or non-early recruiting DI or DII coaches even going to come to their guames to watch 9th graders?

Don't waste the money and time. If there are D3 potential players, they can wait until maybe fall or summer of junior year to start heavy with showcases. If they are low level D1 I would say summer between sophomore and junior years. This summer will be a waste mostly. Try to get them better and play best competition possible without being over their heads this year. Don't buy into the hype or money grabs. Vast majority of kids are not making commitments to play college ball until summer after junior year. There is plenty of time. If they are interested in a particular school (D-3, low D1). Start sending video, making contact with colleges after soph to junior summer. No harm if done earlier if a strong interest in particular schools, but not necessary for that level despite the hype and perceived pressure mostly from parents.

Great words of wisdom. It's nice to hear from a parent who doesn't think their kid is entitled just because they're from Long Island who think their kid is a ivy or acc recruit. Work on skill but most importantly have your son get buried in the books. Superior grades will get him noticed FIRST at a d3 school. Good luck.

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
can confirm that showtime is out for 2018,,,

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
He is a great lacrosse player - strong middie with equal left and right! Congrats!

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
What position does this kid play from Smithtown wast.

He from East not West - middie

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
I would be curious to know how many early commits:
1 - attend the school they commit to
2 - play lax for ALL four years at that same school
3 - graduate from that same school
4- change to different school prior to HS graduation
5- become all american (conference etc)

It may take a few years to compile since we these kids are 8 years away from potentially graduating, but it would be interesting.

Yeah, 8 years away from college graduation........like committing a 4 grader to your varsity team.

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
I think in due time, the early recruiting won't go away but early committing will.

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
I would be curious to know how many early commits:
1 - attend the school they commit to
2 - play lax for ALL four years at that same school
3 - graduate from that same school
4- change to different school prior to HS graduation
5- become all american (conference etc)

It may take a few years to compile since we these kids are 8 years away from potentially graduating, but it would be interesting.

Yeah, 8 years away from college graduation........like committing a 4 grader to your varsity team.

These statistics will be interesting to follow. How can a freshman decide where he wants to go to college. My son hasn't even decided if/what sport he would play in college. Maybe this puts him behind the 8 ball, but I can't see rushing into such a big decision.

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
If it was my kid, and it is not, and he could commit to a better school then I project him to be able to get into without lacrosse and it is a large enough school to have a good variety of majors I can not see the down side - so what if he changes his mind and decommits he is in the same place he would have been anyway but without a fallback option. put a binder on the house but still look at other houses until contract is signed.

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
can confirm that showtime is out for 2018,,,

Sent our check in...

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
valid points - if school is better academically than he could get w/o lax or financially it's an "offer you can't refuse". However, when you haven't even stepped on the HS field what is your real incentive to improve? The college coach is saying "You're good enough now, I want you". Not saying every early commit does this, but it is very possible.

Page 6 of 52 1 2 4 5 6 7 8 51 52

Link Copied to Clipboard