BOTC BOTC
The UnD1sputed Showcase (Boys & Girls) in June & the Girls LI Showcase is Open for Registration on CBLaxers.com - Don't Miss Out as 88 Players Only Accepted! | Invest for Growth - ADVERTISE with us!
BOTC GIRLS BOTC BOY BACK OF THE CAGE
BOTC GIRLS BOTC BOY MOST RECENT POSTS
Boys High School Lax
by Anonymous -
Girls High School Lax
by Anonymous -
BOTC GIRLS BOTC BOY Forum Statistics
Forums20
Topics3,802
Posts385,545
Members2,606
Most Online62,980
Feb 6th, 2020
BOTC GIRLS BOTC BOY FOLLOW US ON TWITTER
Previous Thread
Next Thread
New Reply
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 12 of 128 1 2 10 11 12 13 14 127 128
Re: Crabs Lacrosse / Baltimore Lacrosse Club
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
awesome - LI dads are so obsessed with baltimore lax that they are now accusing parents of holding their sons back in kindergarten to get an athletic advantage?

Like Reply Quote
BOTC GIRLS BOTC BOY BACK OF THE CAGE SPONSORS

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Originally Posted by Anonymous
"""""""""Your son has a late spring/summer birthday so you started him a year later, which puts him at U15A in 7th grade and U15AA in 8th grade"""""""""

Thats called holding your child back in laymans terms. What has become the norm in the MIAA world but unfortunately has filtered down to youth clubs in MD.

There are a lot of crazy parents that hold their kids back purely for lacrosse, but don't put all of MD/DC in that basket. Most of the kids play age/grade appropriate. Don't let the few abusers diminish the talent in the mid-atlantic. Those of us, whose kids play in the appropriate grade, don't condone the behavior but we do have to live with it. Let the crazies say what they want but holding a child back is almost always for a sports advantage.

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
holding back in kindergarten is one thing, but many repeat 9th grade...that is a joke. It is embarrassing to the sport. It is a shame the kids can't be successful without trying to gain an advantage. I know too many that held back for lacrosse, sadly many of them have little or no chance to play at the college level anyway.

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
I don't know about you but we made sure to time our son's birth so he would be old for his grade, then he started preschool a year late, took a year of pre-K, and repeated 8th grade. He will be eligible for SS after his PG year.

(just kidding, but it wouldn't surprise me if some people did).

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Good one, but I am curious as to how many 2x holdbacks there really are. Most HS athletic associations (including MIAA I believe) do not let you play sports if you turn 19 before the start of the school year.

This implies 2x holdbacks are not eligible to play sports their senior year.

I know that a few (many) years back a NYC HS football team forfeited every game and was vacated of a title because they rostered a too old player (the coaches didn't know was the lame excuse)

In the spirit of amateurism I think the NCAA should have a similar rule.

Like Reply Quote
BOTC GIRLS BOTC BOY Sponsored Links
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Crabs 2019 have only 12 returning players. How do the 10 kids that were cut feel about reclassers in a critical year? After most tryouts have occurred?

Do these cut kids reclass and come back next year as 2020? Where does it stop?
Crabs and buddies at BL are at the heart of the reclass issue.

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
to be bumped next year by reclasser. Then what, VLC??

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Good one, but I am curious as to how many 2x holdbacks there really are. Most HS athletic associations (including MIAA I believe) do not let you play sports if you turn 19 before the start of the school year.

This implies 2x holdbacks are not eligible to play sports their senior year.

I know that a few (many) years back a NYC HS football team forfeited every game and was vacated of a title because they rostered a too old player (the coaches didn't know was the lame excuse)

In the spirit of amateurism I think the NCAA should have a similar rule.

BYU requires their men to go on 2 year missions
Casey Carroll (Duke defender) took time off to join the army

How does your age thing work?

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
I appreciate and respect the sacrifices of Casey Carroll and the work of BYU missionaries.

However, an age rule in the NCAA would do more good than harm. NCAA should be U23 or U24 at most - U24 would actually allow two years of holdback in total but no more.

Should a 29 year old take away an NCAA roster spot from an 18 year old?

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
to be bumped next year by reclasser. Then what, VLC??

Not likely. Vlc's youth program is struggling big time. Furthermore, vlc already has their share of holdbacks

Like Reply Quote
BOTC GIRLS BOTC BOY Sponsored Links
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
All the big Baltimore MIAA schools, BL, Gilman, St Paul, McDonogh have holdbacks in every grade. And not just a few but many. Not sure the extent Loyola and Calvert Hall as they dont have a lower school to put out 10-25 holdbacks at each school in pre-first grade year after year. While they can do what they want at their schools and against each other, their influence has put a black mark on youth lacrosse in Maryland. The parents at these schools know just what they are doing along with willing coaching staffs. Many of the coaches and assistants are involved in youth clubs in Baltimore.

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Dear 2019 express how many hold backs are on your team this year

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
I appreciate and respect the sacrifices of Casey Carroll and the work of BYU missionaries.

However, an age rule in the NCAA would do more good than harm. NCAA should be U23 or U24 at most - U24 would actually allow two years of holdback in total but no more.

Should a 29 year old take away an NCAA roster spot from an 18 year old?

A pretty ridiculous statement, BYU doesn't require the mission for non Mormon's. Why should a person who feel's the calling to serve his church or his country be denied the opportunity to play a sport upon returning from their duties, plus as the Islanders point out over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over that there are no 18 year old freshman coming out of the great state of Maryland. Eventually the time frame will look like this
At age 5, hold child out of kindergarten
At age 6, start kindergarten
At age 7, repeat kindergarten
At age 16, repeat 8th grade
At age 17, start freshman year
At age 20, start senior year
At age 21, do a pg year
At age 22, join the Navy
At age 26, pretend to be a Mormon, go on a mission
At age 28, do another Navy gig
At age 32, what the heck, take another mission
At age 34, start college with a clear physical advantage
At age 35, red shirt a year
At age 38, eligibility is up, you're out on your own now
At age 39, start your own club program, sit back and listen to mindless babble from the Islanders about how unfair Maryland Athletics are

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
I can confirm that all of Madlax 2019 Orange team was in the 1st grade 8 years ago today.

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
I can confirm that all of Madlax 2019 Orange team was in the 1st grade 8 years ago today.

Are you implying they are all holdbacks. 8 years ago they should of been in kindergarten if they are starting 8th grade today.

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

Are you implying they are all holdbacks. 8 years ago they should of been in kindergarten if they are starting 8th grade today.

They can't be holdback since most of them were on the U13 Orange team over the summer.
Very easy to verify since the summer rosters are still on the website

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Crabs 2019 have only 12 returning players. How do the 10 kids that were cut feel about reclassers in a critical year? After most tryouts have occurred?

Do these cut kids reclass and come back next year as 2020? Where does it stop?
Crabs and buddies at BL are at the heart of the reclass issue.

This isn't a BL issue. In fact, one of the reclasses on the 2019 team was reclassed because he transferred from BL to McDonogh. McDonogh holds more kids back than BL does.

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Ok 7 years ago today they where all in 1st grade. I am not the smartest guy around. Every kid on the team started school the same year. I can not confirm there ages. LOL

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Families make the decision to repeat or start late. Some people mature later and some extra time helps. My son is a late bloomer and i wanted to give him some time to mature. Do i put him at a disadvantage because your kid grows some peach fuzz earlier?

McDonogh and Boys Latin DO NOT encourage it.

Most people that criticize this wish they had done the same...
practice harder, lift weights train.
Stop making excuses and make decisions that are best for your child.
You most likely never played a sport and look old compared to others your age.

It will all even out later.

And mind your own damn business....

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
You are full of it... They Encourage it constantly. I go to one of the MIAA private schools and and if what you say is true, very few boys and girls would be held back. It is an epidemic at these schools. And MOST not ALL have athletics on their mind. These holdbacks might not be head of class but most would be right there with the majority of children. Most want their child to be ahead not equal. Of course ask most of them and they give the same reason you did.

And most here are responding to youth lacrosse for children under 15 and playing down due to holdbacks. It is fine with you holding your child back for your reasons. But that doesnt give you a select advantage over all the other CHILDREN in youth athletics outside of school. School teams are what they are but your child shouldn't get an advantage over the rest of children in the area. No wonder some people who don't go to private schools have a disdain for us. You want you child to have privileges that the rest don't have.... Maybe if you didn't want a special advantage for your child everyone else would stay out of your damn business.

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
So why is the holdback more prevent in Maryland than long island? Or is that just a misconception?

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
seems like long islanders are too cheap to pay for their kids to go to private school where they could be held back

heck they are complaining about $3500 for Igloo which won all but one game it played in the 2013 - 2014 season

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
LI dads are insane.

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Families make the decision to repeat or start late. Some people mature later and some extra time helps. My son is a late bloomer and i wanted to give him some time to mature. Do i put him at a disadvantage because your kid grows some peach fuzz earlier?

BL encourages it, Crabs encourage it.

It is my business when your 16 yo is playing my 13 yo in an 8th grade tournament. By the way, I am videotaping and plan to take you, tournament directors and USlacrosse to court if Jr gets injured. That's my way of evening it out...

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
So why is the holdback more prevent in Maryland than long island? Or is that just a misconception?

Because 10 players just got cut from Crabs 2019 in favor of holdbacks They now have to reclass to compete.

Crabs make NPYLL go grade based so they can stay competitive with holdbacks. They were dying in age based, 2019 particularly.

BL likes $$ and exposure from lacrosse.

USlacrosse is impotent, likely because 1/2 its Baltimore based staff were holdbacks too.

Get it now?

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

It is my business when your 16 yo is playing my 13 yo in an 8th grade tournament. By the way, I am videotaping and plan to take you, tournament directors and USlacrosse to court if Jr gets injured. That's my way of evening it out...

Sue you, sue everybody ! That's the answer

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
"So why is the holdback more prevent in Maryland than long island? Or is that just a misconception?"

The holdbacks are only a private school issue that has gotten out of hand here in Maryland. It is the norm in all MIAA schools along with so called second tier private schools. Public schools in Maryland do not have the holdback issue. Most kids playing lacrosse are not held back in Maryland. That is why it is such an issue. Somehow a large select group of parents think it is fine for their child to play down while the rest dont get this advantage. My understanding is that Long Island lacrosse is dominated by public schools which like most public schools, dont have the holdback issues. Maybe someone can enlighten us on this.

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
seems like long islanders are too cheap to pay for their kids to go to private school where they could be held back

heck they are complaining about $3500 for Igloo which won all but one game it played in the 2013 - 2014 season

Who did they lose to? Sons?

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

Who did they lose to? Sons?

Some random team in a preseason tournament in March

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Rising sons. Good program. Igloo beat them when they played them again 2 or 3 times during summer tournaments

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

BL does not encourage it. In fact, parents in my son's class had to threaten to pull their son and send him to St. Pauls to get BL to allow him to repeat.

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
BL absolutely encourages it. There are a ton of reclassed kids at that school. They just got a kid from McDonogh who reclassed.

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
My 13 year old 8th grader brought up the hold back/reclassify issue last night. He goes to a MIAA school and plays lacrosse. As club tryouts in Baltimore end, the issue is being widely discussed at school. I asked him for his thoughts and what his friends think:
If they could, they would play up, not down. It would be an honor to be able to play up and their friends that play up are considered special players. The assumption is that playing up makes you better, playing down makes you worse. If you have to play down, you are likely over your head and playing with the wrong organization. There are plenty of good teams to play for. While there are no hold backs at their school or on their team (yet), they said that those kids are likely treated differently (not good differently). If the kid is staying back for academic reasons, he likely gets cut a great deal of slack. If for a sport (it is not just lacrosse) and it is obvious, the kid is likely given no slack at all. He did say that the grade above his -2018- has an abundance of good lacrosse players and that is likely driving the decision to repeat. Lastly, with regard to recruiting, they all think that the college coaches will eventually see through this. In most cases, a 15 year old should be able to beat a 13/14 year old at a sport. In a few years, when the kids are all the same size, age will no longer matter.

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
My 13 year old 8th grader brought up the hold back/reclassify issue last night. He goes to a MIAA school and plays lacrosse. As club tryouts in Baltimore end, the issue is being widely discussed at school. I asked him for his thoughts and what his friends think:
If they could, they would play up, not down. It would be an honor to be able to play up and their friends that play up are considered special players. The assumption is that playing up makes you better, playing down makes you worse. If you have to play down, you are likely over your head and playing with the wrong organization. There are plenty of good teams to play for. While there are no hold backs at their school or on their team (yet), they said that those kids are likely treated differently (not good differently). If the kid is staying back for academic reasons, he likely gets cut a great deal of slack. If for a sport (it is not just lacrosse) and it is obvious, the kid is likely given no slack at all. He did say that the grade above his -2018- has an abundance of good lacrosse players and that is likely driving the decision to repeat. Lastly, with regard to recruiting, they all think that the college coaches will eventually see through this. In most cases, a 15 year old should be able to beat a 13/14 year old at a sport. In a few years, when the kids are all the same size, age will no longer matter.

My son is in 8th grade at BL and there are not holdbacks. There are a couple of 14 year olds but that is due to prefirst.

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Very nice perspective from your 13 year old - unfortunately the men tasked with recruiting players for their universities are not as enlightened as your boy

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
It probably will even out later because ultimately the cream will rise to the top!

However, what about the kid that was a U13 AA player that does not make the U15 AA team because of the holdbacks that repeat U15 and the influx of holdbacks from other / lesser clubs that now play for that elite team since they could not make it as a true 8th grader?

What about the kid that makes an elite U15 AA team, but is relegated to a minor role instead of a prominant role because of the holdbacks in front of him?

Should that kid be held back so he can be the stud of that U15AA team next year?

When I was a kid, the really good players played up - not down.

Sounds like you want something for your son that is not naturally in the works.

I would never want my son to repeat for athletic reasons, nor would he.

Hollow victories watching a team loaded with 15 year olds dominate a team with 14 year olds!

Yes, I am old! But played sports and still do!

Let the kids sink or swim on their own.

My thoughts on the matter!

Good Day!

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

Because 10 players just got cut from Crabs 2019 in favor of holdbacks They now have to reclass to compete.

Crabs make NPYLL go grade based so they can stay competitive with holdbacks. They were dying in age based, 2019 particularly.

BL likes $$ and exposure from lacrosse.

USlacrosse is impotent, likely because 1/2 its Baltimore based staff were holdbacks too.

Get it now?

Really? Crabs was dying in age based? Crabs U15AA and U13AA won the NPYLL championship this past spring. Where exactly were they dying?

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

My son is in 8th grade at BL and there are not holdbacks. There are a couple of 14 year olds but that is due to prefirst.

Yes there are. Many of us could, but won't or shouldn't, name names.

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
You guys are correct it will even out when they get to high school. And just because they verbel a couple kids in 8th and 9th grade your sons will have there shot to get looked at. They are not signing these kids they are giving them Verbels. That means they have a spot on the team thats it. And these colleges are all still taking walk ons. So there are spots on the teams for the players who are correct age. The money is not there you should all know that. They spread what 12 full rides between 60 or so players. Relax if he is good he will have a spot. If he does not get a spot on a Roster he is not good enough no matter how old the kids on his 2018 team where.

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
"BL does not encourage it. In fact, parents in my son's class had to threaten to pull their son and send him to St. Pauls to get BL to allow him to repeat"

Boys Latin has a huge amount of boys that were either prefirst,heldback,holdback or reclassified..whatever you want to call it...All means the same thing...They are older than the all the rest of grade except boys like them.

This also says alot about parents that go to BL and the rest of the MIAA schools...If they didnt let him repeat he had another MIAA school ready to let their child repeat...The reason I say that is BL wanted him to continue,and BL loves their holdbacks as it has a huge amount of kids heldback... wow!!

Like Reply Quote
Page 12 of 128 1 2 10 11 12 13 14 127 128
Quick Reply

Options
HTML is disabled
UBBCode is enabled
CAPTCHA Verification

Link Copied to Clipboard