BOTC BOTC
The UnD1sputed Showcase (Boys & Girls) in June & the Girls LI Showcase is Open for Registration on CBLaxers.com - Don't Miss Out as 88 Players Only Accepted! | Invest for Growth - ADVERTISE with us!
BOTC GIRLS BOTC BOY BACK OF THE CAGE
BOTC GIRLS BOTC BOY MOST RECENT POSTS
Girls High School
by Anonymous -
BOTC GIRLS BOTC BOY Forum Statistics
Forums20
Topics3,814
Posts387,603
Members2,608
Most Online62,980
Feb 6th, 2020
BOTC GIRLS BOTC BOY FOLLOW US ON TWITTER
Previous Thread
Next Thread
New Reply
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 78 of 144 1 2 76 77 78 79 80 143 144
Re: Long Island Express Lacrosse
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Comparable to Igloo in cost. You will pay all the bells and whistles such as 91 has a base then you are offered the fall at additional cost spring , and then expected to attend the DLT clinics in both winter sessions. They all may not be as high as this cost but each year they creep up .

Originally Posted by Anonymous
What does Express cost all in? Fall, Winter, Spring & Summer. 4th/5th grade.

Don't know for this year. But last year the base was $2600, but you could opt out of the fall and save $800.

Like Reply Quote
BOTC GIRLS BOTC BOY BACK OF THE CAGE SPONSORS

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
You see why clubs gravitate towards keeping the kids they know because it is really tough to make these selections. Start with the fact that you have 100 kids on very quick shifts. Sometimes play is elsewhere or you cannot get anyone to throw you a pass despite being wide open. You may also get put on a midfield line with two A team players and look like a superstar, next time up your line mates cannot move the ball and you get nothing going. Tough on all the kids who put a lot of time into getting ready and then some of it (and maybe understandably so) is just out of their hands.

With two sons in HS I've sat through more tryouts than I care to remember (or admit to having paid for). As an observer I've found there are always certain kids that catch your eye. I started telling my sons that you can't just go through tryouts hoping the coach will notice you. You have to put yourself in the best situation to be noticed by the coaches. I know it's not always possible but there are some simple things you can do to help. (these seem very obvious but more often than not I've seen the majority of players ignore them and gravitate to the middle of the pack and anonymity ).

1. Be first. When the coach calls you in, when the coach runs a drill, when you come back from a water break, be first. The coaches will never see you in the back of the pack.

2. Talk. Always be talking (loudly). Call for the ball, talk on D, etc. Never go though a drill without talking. The goalie should not be the only one the coaches hear. I can't tell you how many times I found myself watch a group other than my sons because someone caught my ear.

3. Never stand still during a drill. Always be moving, especially when you don't have the ball. Look to clear out, set picks, etc. Once you stand still the coach will stop watching you.

4. Full speed. Never go 3/4 speed through a drill. Full speed, move and protect your stick as if it were a game. A player going full speed through a drill will stand out immediately against a group going 3/4

5. Watch your match ups. If you've been running the 3-2 drill with the same two players who never seem to pass or always drop your passes, switch your group up. A simple tying of your shoelace will mix up the order of the lines in the drill and match you up with a new group. The coaches can't evaluate you if you are not touching the ball.

6. Don't hesitate. Right or wrong, always play like you know what you are doing. If you shoot, shoot like you mean it. If you look to pass, pass like you men it. If you cut, cut like you mean it. Mr. Miyagi: "...Walk left side, safe. Walk right side, safe. Walk middle, sooner or later...get squish just like grape." Don't hesitate

7. Walk like you own the place. Body language says a lot. When I see a player walking with his read up, walking with confidence, watching the drills closely, I immediately get a mental picture of a player who can take charge or be a leader. When I see a player walking with his head down, looking at the ground, talking to his friends, etc, I get the impression of a player who may not be sure of himself or doesn't really want to be here. These coaches don't know what type of player/person you are. Their impression of you is based on a lot more than your off stick skill.

These tips CAN help a coach notice you. What he see's when he starts looking is up to you.

Wow - what a fantastic post!! It is a gem like this that makes this site worth visiting - as opposed to all the flaming that goes on here. Thank you for your insight!

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Real question is how to convince kids that are that talented ("3rd best team") to play for the Express B team when they can presumably make "A" teams at established organizations like Outlaws or Igloo. Why would they settle for 2nd fiddle at Express at this age? Coaching should be everything. Is the "B" team coaching at Express so much better? Who are the coaches going to be? I saw the Honey Badger coaches at tryout but no other coaches. Seems like coaches at 2023 for Outlaws and Igloo are accomplished.

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Really odd night for the 2018's at tryouts. It seemed so "lax" luster and was a lot really great plays for a 2 hour scrimmage. They said results would be sent out by Sunday.

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Take it from experience. Don't ever waste your money on an Express B team unless you truly believe that's the right place for your son. Otherwise, you will spend an entire year wasted and regretting every minute while others move forward with much better experiences and growth elsewhere. If the Expresse priced according for the value of the experience and product like every other business on the planet, a B team would cost 50% of the A team and the C team 50% of the B team.

Like Reply Quote
BOTC GIRLS BOTC BOY Sponsored Links
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Take it from experience. Don't ever waste your money on an Express B team unless you truly believe that's the right place for your son. Otherwise, you will spend an entire year wasted and regretting every minute while others move forward with much better experiences and growth elsewhere. If the Expresse priced according for the value of the experience and product like every other business on the planet, a B team would cost 50% of the A team and the C team 50% of the B team.

Especially the 2020 B team. Go try out for one the teams that beat you when you played in the A brackets this year, before your team got put in the B brackets at the end of the year. You want to pay close to $3,000 for that again?

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Why should the B team not be in B brackets? Maybe they are happy on a B team? Not an Express parent but Im not sure why this is an issue. The A team plays in A bracket- B team on B bracket. If this team is closer to home than others- it is still a good fit if the boys are happy. Maybe I've missed something in the threads, possibly some getting no playing time, abusive coach, no practice etc. if none of these are true- then it seems like kids that are not quite at the A level are having a good experience at a B team and maybe will have a better experience next summer if they actually stay in B brackets. Nothing to be ashamed of.

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

Especially the 2020 B team. Go try out for one the teams that beat you when you played in the A brackets this year, before your team got put in the B brackets at the end of the year. You want to pay close to $3,000 for that again?

What were the specific areas in which the 2020 Express team was treated better than the B team. Better tournaments, coaching....what?

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Why should the B team not be in B brackets? Maybe they are happy on a B team? Not an Express parent but Im not sure why this is an issue. The A team plays in A bracket- B team on B bracket. If this team is closer to home than others- it is still a good fit if the boys are happy. Maybe I've missed something in the threads, possibly some getting no playing time, abusive coach, no practice etc. if none of these are true- then it seems like kids that are not quite at the A level are having a good experience at a B team and maybe will have a better experience next summer if they actually stay in B brackets. Nothing to be ashamed of.

Express and 91 sell the fact that their B teams are better than most groups A teams. It is still true at 91 in most grades. It is not true at Express anymore. Of course there is no shame in being in a B team or playing in B brackets. As long as they tell you that going in.

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Biggest problem is parents Always want the best for their kid to a far extent of being realistic enough to realize that although being on an A team is competitive and the team to brag about with there friends at a BBQ that little johnny plays on the "A" team , the truth of the matter is if your not the top 10 on a team you will be short changed dramatically during a tournament situation. They may think because they goto all the practices and buddy up with the coaches that they are top tier of the team along with everyone else only to find out the hard way once game day comes. These parents then start to bash the coaches and other kids due to their johnny is not the superstar , Many B teams are good enough to play in the A bracket and some actually do compete very well without the pressure that that most A teams put on the kids , Yes its all in the coaching and some coaches techniques are not for everyone So sometimes you need to sit back and weigh out the options of what will truly best fit your sons experience.

Like Reply Quote
BOTC GIRLS BOTC BOY Sponsored Links
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
You see why clubs gravitate towards keeping the kids they know because it is really tough to make these selections. Start with the fact that you have 100 kids on very quick shifts. Sometimes play is elsewhere or you cannot get anyone to throw you a pass despite being wide open. You may also get put on a midfield line with two A team players and look like a superstar, next time up your line mates cannot move the ball and you get nothing going. Tough on all the kids who put a lot of time into getting ready and then some of it (and maybe understandably so) is just out of their hands.

With two sons in HS I've sat through more tryouts than I care to remember (or admit to having paid for). As an observer I've found there are always certain kids that catch your eye. I started telling my sons that you can't just go through tryouts hoping the coach will notice you. You have to put yourself in the best situation to be noticed by the coaches. I know it's not always possible but there are some simple things you can do to help. (these seem very obvious but more often than not I've seen the majority of players ignore them and gravitate to the middle of the pack and anonymity ).

1. Be first. When the coach calls you in, when the coach runs a drill, when you come back from a water break, be first. The coaches will never see you in the back of the pack.

2. Talk. Always be talking (loudly). Call for the ball, talk on D, etc. Never go though a drill without talking. The goalie should not be the only one the coaches hear. I can't tell you how many times I found myself watch a group other than my sons because someone caught my ear.

3. Never stand still during a drill. Always be moving, especially when you don't have the ball. Look to clear out, set picks, etc. Once you stand still the coach will stop watching you.

4. Full speed. Never go 3/4 speed through a drill. Full speed, move and protect your stick as if it were a game. A player going full speed through a drill will stand out immediately against a group going 3/4

5. Watch your match ups. If you've been running the 3-2 drill with the same two players who never seem to pass or always drop your passes, switch your group up. A simple tying of your shoelace will mix up the order of the lines in the drill and match you up with a new group. The coaches can't evaluate you if you are not touching the ball.

6. Don't hesitate. Right or wrong, always play like you know what you are doing. If you shoot, shoot like you mean it. If you look to pass, pass like you men it. If you cut, cut like you mean it. Mr. Miyagi: "...Walk left side, safe. Walk right side, safe. Walk middle, sooner or later...get squish just like grape." Don't hesitate

7. Walk like you own the place. Body language says a lot. When I see a player walking with his read up, walking with confidence, watching the drills closely, I immediately get a mental picture of a player who can take charge or be a leader. When I see a player walking with his head down, looking at the ground, talking to his friends, etc, I get the impression of a player who may not be sure of himself or doesn't really want to be here. These coaches don't know what type of player/person you are. Their impression of you is based on a lot more than your off stick skill.

These tips CAN help a coach notice you. What he see's when he starts looking is up to you.

GREAT POST. Thanks for keeping it positive and informative. I'm often entertained, but also disgusted by a lot of the BS that is posted on here.

Post's like the one above is what really keeps people coming back. Good luck to all the kids!

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Original question seemed more specific to 2023 and what kids should do if they make the Express B team. Had to have been more than 25 good kids at the tryout and so they won't make the A team. What's the attraction of Express B vs. Outlaws, Igloo, True Blue, Jesters, etc. A teams at this age? Won't these kids get better coaching/attention if they are on the A team at another organization? How can Express keep those kids instead of them going to another established club?

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Original question seemed more specific to 2023 and what kids should do if they make the Express B team. Had to have been more than 25 good kids at the tryout and so they won't make the A team. What's the attraction of Express B vs. Outlaws, Igloo, True Blue, Jesters, etc. A teams at this age? Won't these kids get better coaching/attention if they are on the A team at another organization? How can Express keep those kids instead of them going to another established club?

You run the risk of not being on a team. Because you try out for express and make a B team does not mean you will make an A team in another club. Maybe you are just a B this year.

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Some parents think Express B is better, ha..Are they in for a rude awakening..$1800 for 9 practices at 5pm at St.Anthonys front field..Enjoy!

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

If my son didn't make a particular clubs A team, I would look for another clubs A roster that he could make. Even if a kid doesn't make the TOP rated club, if he plays against that team, he and all of his teammates will be challenged.
And if he wasn't good enough to make an A roster, I wouldn't bother with any Club B teams. PAL Travel and clinics would be a better way to spend the time and money.

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Right !!!! are you one of those 91 marketing guys? being they scooped up your players your trying to deter the press payment button this weekend?? You enjoy

Some parents think Express B is better, ha..Are they in for a rude awakening..$1800 for 9 practices at 5pm at St.Anthonys front field..Enjoy!

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
The best part of all this is that this thread started nearly 4 years ago and I went back to compare the discussion then vs now, to see what's changed, and it's so similar.

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

If my son didn't make a particular clubs A team, I would look for another clubs A roster that he could make. Even if a kid doesn't make the TOP rated club, if he plays against that team, he and all of his teammates will be challenged.
And if he wasn't good enough to make an A roster, I wouldn't bother with any Club B teams. PAL Travel and clinics would be a better way to spend the time and money.

If you are in a good to decent lacrosse town, then I think you are right on. The problem is for the kids from towns that don't have solid PAL programs.

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

If you look like a B player and you smell like a B player, your a B player.

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

I sincerely hope this is a kid posting this and not a parent.

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

Its a blunt way to say "look in the mirror and know your skill level." Many kids make an A team and are completely overmatched not challenged.

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

That works for me

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

Don't be so smug....

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

Its a blunt way to say "look in the mirror and know your skill level." Many kids make an A team and are completely overmatched not challenged.

Making an A team and being over matched is not a bad thing. Kids should always look to play with better players. Looking in the mirror and telling yourself this is as good as it gets at age 10-14, not so good.

"If you look for the best player on your team and you are it, you are on the wrong team".

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Many are on A teams at one organization but wouldn't make B or C teams at other organizations.

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Me too!

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

Making an A team and being over matched is not a bad thing. Kids should always look to play with better players. Looking in the mirror and telling yourself this is as good as it gets at age 10-14, not so good.

"If you look for the best player on your team and you are it, you are on the wrong team".

what is worse if you look around and your the worst player.

problem is there isn't much room between being the worst on a highly talented team to being the best on an avg team.

there is always a place to play just need to find it.

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
So what did Michael Jordan say when he looked in the mirror and was the best on his team in Chicago..."hmm Mike..your the best here, you must be on the wrong team"

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
So what did Michael Jordan say when he looked in the mirror and was the best on his team in Chicago..."hmm Mike..your the best here, you must be on the wrong team"

So now you're comparing Michael Jordan in his prime to 10 year old kids? You seriously need help.

And by the way genius, if you are going to post in a public forum, know the difference between, your & you're.

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Dickie Dunn: I tried to capture the spirit of the thing.

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Just play. Have fun. Enjoy the game.
Michael Jordan

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

Obviously he didn't. However I would be willing to bet he did when he was playing youth ball, which is what we are talking about here. One of the best ways to improve your game is to continue to challenge yourself. Playing with better players is one way to do that. It's true about everything in life: sports, school your job.

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

Obviously he didn't. However I would be willing to bet he did when he was playing youth ball, which is what we are talking about here. One of the best ways to improve your game is to continue to challenge yourself. Playing with better players is one way to do that. It's true about everything in life: sports, school your job.

What are you a fillosophyser?

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
No standouts at the 2020 scrimmage.....

About how many 2020 players were at tryouts?

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

So now you're comparing Michael Jordan in his prime to 10 year old kids? You seriously need help.

And by the way genius, if you are going to post in a public forum, know the difference between, your & you're.

you've lost when you go to grammar rebuttal. Good indiction you are out of valid thoughts. The poster was talking about a kid recognizing he was the best on his team and it's time to leave the team. He used Jordan as an analogy to make a point how stupid that thought was.

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Michael Jordan got cut from his JV team.

Lesson, if your son likes to play, let him keep playing. You never know.

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Michael Jordan got cut from his JV team.

Lesson, if your son likes to play, let him keep playing. You never know.

He was never actually cut. He played JV for a year. Was mad he didn't make varsity.

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Have Express invites gone out? If so do they specify that you need to accept and pay prior to try outs for other clubs held the first week end of Sept? Does Express and other clubs really hold you to this deadline?

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Can anyone tell me what the fees were for the 2014 season? Have the 2015 fees been announced? Surprising that they don't display this information on their website like other teams do. Are there any extra fees above and beyond the initial team fee?

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
It was 1800 for the summer, if you choose to play fallball which is 3-4 ? Tournaments and fall practices included it was an additional 800 , like anywhere else winter activities you will also pay extra .

Like Reply Quote
Page 78 of 144 1 2 76 77 78 79 80 143 144
Quick Reply

Options
HTML is disabled
UBBCode is enabled
CAPTCHA Verification

Link Copied to Clipboard