Get it on Google Play
Get it on App Store
Get it on Google Play Get it on App Store
Team Registration is Now Open for the East Coast Showdown & Lehigh Lax Fest!
BACK OF THE CAGE
MOST RECENT POSTS
Girls 2024-9th Grade Fall 2020/Summer 2021
by Anonymous - 03/05/21 09:59 PM
Girls 2025 Grads - Mid Atlantic Region
by Anonymous - 03/05/21 08:10 PM
Boys High School
by Anonymous - 03/05/21 07:57 PM
Boys 2026 Grads - Mid Atlantic Region
by Anonymous - 03/05/21 07:30 PM
Boys 2026-7th Grade Fall 2020/Summer 2021
by Anonymous - 03/05/21 06:59 PM
Forum Statistics
Forums20
Topics2,275
Posts283,505
Members2,244
Most Online62,980
Feb 6th, 2020
SUBSCRIBE

FOLLOW US ON TWITTER
Previous Thread
Next Thread
New Reply
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 6 of 65 1 2 4 5 6 7 8 64 65
Re: Age Verification
Anonymous #66798 06/30/14 02:48 PM
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Originally Posted by Anonymous
Yeah, nothing wrong with playing a kid who is age eligible who is in the higher grade. In fact, as that is the opposite of people holding back their kid for athletic reasons, perhaps it is laudable. Of course, if mature enough, he might want to play up to be with this friends, but that is their choice.

I want to vent for a moment. I was in a U11A division early this month in a big tournament under U.S. Lacrosse age rules. The tournament director let a U13B team play in our division, because they were missing half their kids and pulled up some U11 kids . I emailed the fact it was a U13 team to tournament director well in advance, but since I was not scheduled to play them, I did not make a bigger issue of it. It was frightening to watch the difference in size between some of those U13's and the U11's they played (7th grade D vs 4th grade A!), particularly as some of tournament refs still thought bodychecking is allowed at U11 as long as the player takes less than 3 steps (one cited that to me as a U.S. lacrosse rule). Anyway, to add ironic insult to (thank god no) injury and to stray a bit off topic, the director's U11 team beat my team pretty bad in pool play but we earned a rematch in the championship and got up on their (admittedly better) team in the first half and the tournament director came over to our sideline in the middle of the game and in front of the kids and accused our team of adding (presumably U13) new players or else how could we get up on his program's team? Huge distraction and other team went on 4-goal run before he calmed down and believed we had the same kids and we coaches were allowed to coach again. True story. Too bad he only cared about age rules when his team was losing. We are going to be pickier with our tournaments next year, for sure.

TOO MUCH MONEY INVOLVED FOR ANYONE TO CHANGE, SORRY

Like Reply Quote
BACK OF THE CAGE SPONSORS

Anonymous #66815 06/30/14 05:04 PM
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Yeah, nothing wrong with playing a kid who is age eligible who is in the higher grade. In fact, as that is the opposite of people holding back their kid for athletic reasons, perhaps it is laudable. Of course, if mature enough, he might want to play up to be with this friends, but that is their choice.

I want to vent for a moment. I was in a U11A division early this month in a big tournament under U.S. Lacrosse age rules. The tournament director let a U13B team play in our division, because they were missing half their kids and pulled up some U11 kids . I emailed the fact it was a U13 team to tournament director well in advance, but since I was not scheduled to play them, I did not make a bigger issue of it. It was frightening to watch the difference in size between some of those U13's and the U11's they played (7th grade D vs 4th grade A!), particularly as some of tournament refs still thought bodychecking is allowed at U11 as long as the player takes less than 3 steps (one cited that to me as a U.S. lacrosse rule). Anyway, to add ironic insult to (thank god no) injury and to stray a bit off topic, the director's U11 team beat my team pretty bad in pool play but we earned a rematch in the championship and got up on their (admittedly better) team in the first half and the tournament director came over to our sideline in the middle of the game and in front of the kids and accused our team of adding (presumably U13) new players or else how could we get up on his program's team? Huge distraction and other team went on 4-goal run before he calmed down and believed we had the same kids and we coaches were allowed to coach again. True story. Too bad he only cared about age rules when his team was losing. We are going to be pickier with our tournaments next year, for sure.

can you tell us what tournament this was, so everyone knows to steer clear

Like Reply Quote
GoodSport #66834 06/30/14 07:04 PM
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Wonder if it is the same tournament that let rising Freshman play rising 7th graders in the equivalent of the U13 B Division - the size differential was huge, kids got hurt and several teams asked for the roster to be reviewed - the size difference was that big. Men playing boys. It was the Hogan Summer EXposure tournament which required US Lacrosse ids to play so probably using their insurance yet the kids were not protected. We will stay clear of that promoters tournaments in the future.

Like Reply Quote
GoodSport #66858 06/30/14 08:50 PM
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
It wasn't Hogan's and my impression having played in their tournaments twice is that they were one of the good guys. In fact, I was going to replace this big Southern tournament with Summer Exposure for our multiple travel teams. I think it is tremendously important for age rules to be respected. I mean it's kids we are talking about.

Like Reply Quote
GoodSport #67196 07/03/14 08:27 AM
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Boys between the ages of 8 and 15 are growing and gaining weight as fast as they ever will in their life.

On average, they grow 2.4" a year and gain 10 pounds a year. So in a two year per division system, the youngest average kid (e.g. born 8/31/2002) will be 20 pounds lighter and 4.8" shorter than the oldest average kid (e.g. born 9/1/2001).

If you have an old 1year holdback (reclass born 9/1/2000), that kid on average will be 30 pounds heavier and 7.3" taller than the youngest in that 2 year division. That is huge difference especially at the 8-9 year old range.

Of course every kid is different and these are just averages, but you can see why for the fairest and safest games, the leagues should really limit the age differences - especially from 8-15 years old.

As a parent who has witnessed larger kids breaking smaller kids bones on more than 1 occasion and also seen multiple concussions induced by the larger kids in the U9 and U11 ages brackets, I feel we should work towards enforcing a single year division system with age (not grade) cut offs until the kids are 15 or 16.

Age / Weight/ Height data:
https://edc2.healthtap.com/ht-stagi...ri20121213-30526-1i4c4nq.jpeg?1386569716

Like Reply Quote
Sponsored Links
GoodSport #67216 07/03/14 10:12 AM
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
My team ages up to U13 on September 1 (2021s). 4-5 of my midfielders weigh 75-80 lbs, which is around 25% for an 11 1/2 years old per the above chart. Compare to a kid who is 12 1/2 years old and in the 75-90% range (not unusual for a travel team) and weighs 110-130 lbs.

Not complaining my team is small - that's who made the team - but one can see how much safer it will be for my kids to play other kids their age. Playing in 2021 divisions should provide that, barring a bunch of hold-backs and I've only heard of one 2021 team accused of that. But, at least in my case, I will seek tournaments that have a 2021/U12 division and avoid those tournaments who don't enforce their own age rules.

PS - Last Fall was a mess with the new U.S. Lacrosse age rules going into effect and some smaller tournaments seemingly being clueless. Saw a 4th grade team play a 6th grade team in one championship. Hopefully, that won't reoccur this year.

Like Reply Quote
Anonymous #76997 08/27/14 10:22 PM
Back of THE CAGE
Back of THE CAGE
Let's make it simple. Every player has an ID. Just like soccer does.

No more sneaking kids on teams or lying needed.

AMEN TO THAT!!

well said
player passes should be standard for all travel teams regardless of sport

Like Reply Quote
GG1 N J18 #77013 08/28/14 06:38 AM
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Originally Posted by GG1 N J18

AMEN TO THAT!!

well said

Have to admit that my kid was one of the kids asked to fill a spot on an established travel team. Walking thru the tournament area with all the tents set up, half the kids know him and know he does not play for the uniform he has on. He looked at me and said he will never do this again. That was one of those moments where you realize your not as wise as you think and maybe the kid has a clue. I will take his advice, never again.

Like Reply Quote
Anonymous #77027 08/28/14 08:10 AM
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Originally Posted by GG1 N J18

AMEN TO THAT!!

well said

Have to admit that my kid was one of the kids asked to fill a spot on an established travel team. Walking thru the tournament area with all the tents set up, half the kids know him and know he does not play for the uniform he has on. He looked at me and said he will never do this again. That was one of those moments where you realize your not as wise as you think and maybe the kid has a clue. I will take his advice, never again.

Fortunately this was only a single tournament for your son. I could not imagine holding back my 6th grader and having him walk through the halls for the rest of his academic career in front of kids who know he is "wearing a uniform for a team he doesn't play for."

Like Reply Quote
Anonymous #77109 08/28/14 02:28 PM
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
At the Express tryout a goalie who was a 2018 last year is now a 2019. Give me a break.

Like Reply Quote
Sponsored Links
GoodSport #77118 08/28/14 03:26 PM
L
Back of THE CAGE
Back of THE CAGE
L
I think most people would agree that there should be player ID's except for the win at all cost coaches and little Johnnys dad that likes watching his 6th grader dominate in a 4th grade league...

Like Reply Quote
Anonymous #77119 08/28/14 03:27 PM
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
At the Express tryout a goalie who was a 2018 last year is now a 2019. Give me a break.

Yup...he is repeating 8th grade. He was on Terps two years ago, Wolverines last year. He was on his way to Chamminade, but probably was 3 on the 9th grade depth chart.

Like Reply Quote
Anonymous #77288 08/29/14 10:44 AM
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

Yup...he is repeating 8th grade. He was on Terps two years ago, Wolverines last year. He was on his way to Chamminade, but probably was 3 on the 9th grade depth chart.

how many other hold backs does 2019 Express have. Or better yet how many boys born in 2000 or sooner Including Sept - Dec months?

Like Reply Quote
Anonymous #77361 08/29/14 05:48 PM
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
I would like to see lacrosse adopt the same system that youth hockey uses. It is done by your birth year thats it plain and simple. When you play in other parts of the country it doesnt become an issue when the school cut off is. Until then its really just cheating .

Like Reply Quote
Anonymous #78759 09/04/14 12:33 PM
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
what does a player or parent get when we pay for a US Lacrosse #? What is the benefit?

Like Reply Quote
Page 6 of 65 1 2 4 5 6 7 8 64 65
Quick Reply

Options
HTML is disabled
UBBCode is enabled

Link Copied to Clipboard