BOTC BOTC
The UnD1sputed Showcase (Boys & Girls) in June & the Girls LI Showcase is Open for Registration on CBLaxers.com - Don't Miss Out as 88 Players Only Accepted! | Invest for Growth - ADVERTISE with us!
BOTC GIRLS BOTC BOY BACK OF THE CAGE
BOTC GIRLS BOTC BOY MOST RECENT POSTS
Girls High School Lax
by Anonymous -
BOTC GIRLS BOTC BOY Forum Statistics
Forums20
Topics3,802
Posts385,538
Members2,606
Most Online62,980
Feb 6th, 2020
BOTC GIRLS BOTC BOY FOLLOW US ON TWITTER
Previous Thread
Next Thread
New Reply
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Boys travel, programs in Suffolk Cty.
Back of THE CAGE
OP Offline
Back of THE CAGE
Looking for options for my 4th grader for travel lax. Currently, he is playing for his town team, but we would like to begin considering travel for next season. What programs are available in Suffolk Cty (north shore) that would be appropriate?

Like Reply Quote
BOTC GIRLS BOTC BOY BACK OF THE CAGE SPONSORS

Re: Boys travel, programs in Suffolk Cty.
Back of THE CAGE
Back of THE CAGE
Originally Posted by Bbddll
Looking for options for my 4th grader for travel lax. Currently, he is playing for his town team, but we would like to begin considering travel for next season. What programs are available in Suffolk Cty (north shore) that would be appropriate?
See the Long Island Clubs listed on the right side of the display as a starting point - were there other options aside from our BOTC Listing that you had in mind?

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
In my opinion the best place to start in an honest assesment of your sons current skill level. If he is an average to a bit better than average player you may want to consider a club such as the stampede or havoc or a similar club..if you think he is ready to play at a high level of competition maybe consider clubs like the express or team 91. Choose wisely for it is a big commitment both financially and time wise. These teams also vary greatly in price..but it has been my experience that you get what you pay for.
One more point worth mentioning...many travel clubs pull from specific towns or regions of the island..ask around at your town games.

Like Reply Quote
Back of THE CAGE
OP Offline
Back of THE CAGE
We are very familiar with the cost/commitment level necessary. Our daughter plays for an elite travel team here on Long Island. We are out of town many weekends....

We have heard of Havoc, Express, Team 91, Stampede etc...There are also two programs close to home, that we do not know much about. They are Team Long Island and Team Sinai, I guess Team Sinai is Mt Sinai?

Thanks for the input.

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Never heard of team sinai but team long island is legit

Like Reply Quote
BOTC GIRLS BOTC BOY Sponsored Links
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Team Long Island is just as competitive and well coached as Express or 91 for a fraction of the cost. It is a non profit and the coaches don't get paid.

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
The most important thing you need to remember is whether or not the coaches have a lacrosse backround. If there is a parent of one of the players as the haed coach and they have no lacrosse playing experience STAY AWAY!!!!!!!!!Just because something is the fraction of the cost of another should not be the main reason when choosing a program.

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
That is a real general statement! Are you saying that you can't be a good coach in a sport unless you played that particular sport? That is rediculous! It all depends on the individual and their skill set. Some of the best players make the WORST coaches! In fact I have found that the many of the paid coaches are less committed because they are not as invested in the team as a dad would be. The bottom line is that each team and situation is different. Every parent should research the teams at that age group and figure out which one is more suited for their son/daughter and their budget.Making broad statements like "stay away" from a team coached by someone who didn't play lax is ignorant!

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
People can be good coaches without playing the sport. But to coach and TEACH the game at the higher level of travel lacrosse should be done by someone with experience. Any good coach can win games at the youth level, but teaching the intricacies should be left to qualified coaches.
You can usually spot the teams coached by non lacrosse people. While they might have good athletes, the kids usually have bad stick habits that the coaches do not even realize, and so, cannot correct.
Be careful. You get what you pay for!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Having been involved with the game for over 30 years I couldn't agree more. Comments obviously being made by people that are new to the game.

Like Reply Quote
BOTC GIRLS BOTC BOY Sponsored Links
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
30 years ago 90% of the kids who played lacrosse were cut from the baseball team! If you are a great coach and teacher you can coach anything! Do you think Mike Krzyzewski would have a tough time teaching and coaching Lax if he spent some time learning the game? I think not.

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
If you are relying on your travel coach and the 8-10 practices that are included in your free to teach your kids stick skills you are in trouble. Yes a coach help point you in the right direction, but as a parent you need to educate yourself and help your player at home. The player should be working on his stick skills on the wall on his own time. That is where a great player is made! Don't rely on anyone else. Playing against better competition in the summer will help your child develop as a player as well but it is his/her work ethic and natural athletic ability that will determine how good of a player he/she will be!

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Where can we find the stats of the precentage of players that were cut from baseball 30 years ago? I guess you have a freind that plays baseball and they threw that quote at you once. A good coach can coach anything? Please. So how many of these parents that are great coaches actually "study" the game? I'm sure not many. Enjoy coaching in fantasyland!!!!!!

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Originally Posted by Anonymous
Where can we find the stats of the precentage of players that were cut from baseball 30 years ago? I guess you have a freind that plays baseball and they threw that quote at you once. A good coach can coach anything? Please. So how many of these parents that are great coaches actually "study" the game? I'm sure not many. Enjoy coaching in fantasyland!!!!!!

More importantly! How many of these "great Players" study how to coach? Do you really think 20 year old college kid really knows how to teach or coach? I think not. In addition, What motivation do they have to add extra practices? none!!!I will admit that if you can find a committed lax proffessional with a kid on the team, that is the best scenario! If you are given a choice of a college kid or a dad who is a great coach? Go with the dad. He cares more! If not Enjoy wasting your money!!!

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
All of a sudden the experienced lax coach becomes a 20 year old college kid coaching a team. Interesting. I don't recall seeing that anywhere before on this topic. But if I may, who's to say this young man hasn't learned the proper way to coach during his playing time. Even though he's 20 I'm sure he has more knowledge of the game than the "dad coach".
May I ask what organization you coach for so I can avoid it at all costs.

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
All of a sudden the experienced lax coach becomes a 20 year old college kid coaching a team. Interesting. I don't recall seeing that anywhere before on this topic. But if I may, who's to say this young man hasn't learned the proper way to coach during his playing time. Even though he's 20 I'm sure he has more knowledge of the game than the "dad coach".
May I ask what organization you coach for so I can avoid it at all costs.

I am not a coach at all. I have just had experience with both paid and volunteer coaches and I have found the volunteer coaches (usually a dad) are more dedicated to the team and development of the boys/girls. No situation is ever exactly the same as another. Evaluate the team and know who is coaching and then make a decision based on those individuals and don't judge them based on whether they played the sport or not. SOMETIMES you don't need to spend the most money to get the best coaching!Sometimes you do!

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
My son has been exposed to both the volunteer dad during in-house as well as the paid coaches on his tournament team and I agree there are challenges with both. On the "dad" side, being dad's with minimal experience or some LAX experience, the problems do arise having there own child on the team. They are committed, but they have a tendency to overcompensate for there lack of experience and knowledge with to much control and a lot of yelling.
On the flip side with the paid coaches, they seem to focus a lot more on the "team" and less on skills.
my son falls into a grey area being a goalie. His town coaches cannot teach him anything and have even told me they will not try, all they ask is that he shows up to play which he does and does quite well. Most of the time i end up running on the field to warm him up as well.
On the tourney team, it seems to unfortunately be very similar and all the money i am paying to these high prices "experts" doesn't do much for my kid. a couple of them are hall of fame goalies and again, they are now hired to just coach the team so the individuals do not seem to get the help they need. Oh, i can pay extra for there private time, but i think i am already paying enough I end up doing a lot of drills with him in the back yard in our own cage from videos on youtube from the major colleges. heck, maybe i should be a coach as i am running better drills than the guys i am paying......
So its a problem to say the least..... i have guys who can't coach him and won't try vs. the guys who can coach him and don't want to.....

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
My son has been exposed to both the volunteer dad during in-house as well as the paid coaches on his tournament team and I agree there are challenges with both. On the "dad" side, being dad's with minimal experience or some LAX experience, the problems do arise having there own child on the team. They are committed, but they have a tendency to overcompensate for there lack of experience and knowledge with to much control and a lot of yelling.
On the flip side with the paid coaches, they seem to focus a lot more on the "team" and less on skills.
my son falls into a grey area being a goalie. His town coaches cannot teach him anything and have even told me they will not try, all they ask is that he shows up to play which he does and does quite well. Most of the time i end up running on the field to warm him up as well.
On the tourney team, it seems to unfortunately be very similar and all the money i am paying to these high prices "experts" doesn't do much for my kid. a couple of them are hall of fame goalies and again, they are now hired to just coach the team so the individuals do not seem to get the help they need. Oh, i can pay extra for there private time, but i think i am already paying enough I end up doing a lot of drills with him in the back yard in our own cage from videos on youtube from the major colleges. heck, maybe i should be a coach as i am running better drills than the guys i am paying......
So its a problem to say the least..... i have guys who can't coach him and won't try vs. the guys who can coach him and don't want to.....

I agree with your assessment that many of the volunteer town coaches(dad's) don't have the skill set to teach your child everything he needs to know and that is why many people seek better coaching in a travel program. My point was if you are picking a travel team, I have had a much better experience when I have gotten a coach with a child on the team. If that coach was a player great. If he wasn't that doesn't mean he has not learned the game or doesn't have the ability to coach the team. The comment from another poster was "Stay Away" from a coach that never played lax. As you can see, many of these programs are business first, develop the kids second. There are progams out there with excellent VOLUNTEER coaching and because they are invested in the team(their child) you will get all the extra practice time etc..without having to mortgage your house to do it! Keep working with your son like you are doing. That is where he will improve the most!

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
I totally agree with what you are saying. This is our 2nd go around with the tourney teams. They all seem to be the same. We went with the one we are on now because our coach from last year went to a new organization and the core of our team followed. My son wanted to stay with his teammates and in addition, we were treated very well by our coach previously. My son's the goalie of the team and his coach considers him the anchor of the squad so i appreciate that alot.
for us, we will ride out this season and i will look into the non-profit organizations as well as the upper tier town travel teams next season for him. What i have seen thus far with our current situation is all flash and no substance at all. Big names thrown around with minimal return. That being said, I am not going to mortgage myself to the hilt to pay these guys when at the end of the day, they do not seem to be teaching my son anything during the practices or the games so i find myself handling it more and that totally supports your point of a coach who never played. I was an athlete but never looked at lacrosse and i have made it my business to focus on my son's position, see what he needs to work on and what drill we can do and in the end, I know I am doing whats right by him and that's all that matters.

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
People can be good coaches without playing the sport. But to coach and TEACH the game at the higher level of travel lacrosse should be done by someone with experience. Any good coach can win games at the youth level, but teaching the intricacies should be left to qualified coaches.
You can usually spot the teams coached by non lacrosse people. While they might have good athletes, the kids usually have bad stick habits that the coaches do not even realize, and so, cannot correct.
Be careful. You get what you pay for!!!!!!!!!!!!!

BTW Dom Starsia never played lacrosse! I guess according to you he should have never tried!

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
You should do your homework before making comments.

Starsia enrolled at Brown University in 1970, where he played wide receiver for the varsity football team. Prior to enrolling at Brown, Starsia had never played or seen a lacrosse game. However, he took to the sport naturally and developed into an outstanding defenseman, earning Third Team All American honors in 1973 and 1974 as well as First Team All-Ivy and All-New England honors both years.[1] In 1974, he was captain of the Brown lacrosse team that reached the NCAA playoffs and was selected to play in the annual North-South Senior All-Star Game.

Following college, Starsia was a standout club lacrosse player and was named a club All-American in 1977, 1979, and 1980. He was selected as the Club Defenseman of the Year in 1979. He also played for the U.S. National Team in the 1978 World Lacrosse Championship.

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Lacrosse is a very specific sport. At the youth level such as PAL a non lacrosse player parent is great. At the travel level and HS level prior college level experience is a must. There is too much going on for someone who has never played the game to pick up. Offenses and defenses get very complex and even though you may think you know it on paper it usually wont translate that easily to the kids on the field. Bottom line do not invest money on any program that is not directly coached by someone who has no college level experience. Just look at all the High Schools, 99% are coached by college experienced players/coaches, it is the price of admission now.

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
my two cents on a few things commented on here - #1 don't get caught up in evaluating organizations particularly the big ones worry about the individual teams, somebody having a bad experience on the grey team may bad mouth the organization when it was really just the team that was bad experience. #2 the best coach my son has ever had was a dad, but he also was a very good college player so we had dedication and knowledge #3) as someone who played lacrosse 30+ years ago I can tell you the first day of 7th grade lacrosse we had 3 kids, after the first baseball cut we had 12 and when baseball made the final cuts we finally had our full team - unless you grew up in Manhasset or Garden City chances are very good that if you played lacrosse on long island 30 years ago you started the day after you got cut from baseball and it actually still goes on today, I know a kid that had a very nice college lacrosse career and he never picked up a stick until he got cut in seventh grade

Like Reply Quote
Back of THE CAGE
Back of THE CAGE
30 years ago 90% of the kids who played lacrosse were cut from the baseball team! If you are a great coach and teacher you can coach anything! Do you think Mike Krzyzewski would have a tough time teaching and coaching Lax if he spent some time learning the game? I think not.
This is a bad statement 30 years ago I quit playing baseball for lacrosse, not the other way around. That was the time when the more athletic kids fond lacrosse for it's faster pace, and more exciting play. That was the start of the lacrosse revolution.

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Just asking for suggestions on what we are looking for in a coach. We are looking for non-parent travel lacrosse team. Preferably NY based tournaments. We our out on the east end of Long Island. Our son already plays on premier soccer team and town based soccer travel teams, but wants to try travel lacrosse. He has played town lacrosse for 3 years and is a solid player as middie. We understand something will have to go but want to know what we are getting into before we make the commitment.

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Can you offer guidance to what travel teams you have played for ?

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Just asking for suggestions on what we are looking for in a coach. We are looking for non-parent travel lacrosse team. Preferably NY based tournaments. We our out on the east end of Long Island. Our son already plays on premier soccer team and town based soccer travel teams, but wants to try travel lacrosse. He has played town lacrosse for 3 years and is a solid player as middie. We understand something will have to go but want to know what we are getting into before we make the commitment.

My advice. Don't choose convenience over quality. It's travel and if you are making the investment in time and money, look for the best situation. And that may be close to you, but don't limit it. An extra 20 minutes could be worth it.

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

Isn't E3 out on the East End...that might be a good play to start

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
I know we don't like them but Team 45+46 depending on the age practice out in the 60's exits of the LIE. Look at the list of coaches if they are from out east they usually practice out east.

Like Reply Quote
Quick Reply

Options
HTML is disabled
UBBCode is enabled
CAPTCHA Verification

Link Copied to Clipboard