True Blue's JC 17 Shootout For Soldiers Charity Tournament Now Open for Registration! | The CBLaxers.com Elite 88 Showcase & The Igloo Elite 80 Showcase Camp Are Now Open for Registration - Limited Spots!
BACK OF THE CAGE
MOST RECENT POSTS
Age Verification
by Anonymous -
Forum Statistics
Forums20
Topics3,279
Posts349,508
Members2,507
Most Online62,980
Feb 6th, 2020
FOLLOW US ON TWITTER
Previous Thread
Next Thread
New Reply
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 1 of 10 1 2 3 9 10
Faceoff Petition 2014
Joined: Aug 2014
X
Back of THE CAGE
OP Offline
Back of THE CAGE
X
Joined: Aug 2014
This is a link to an online petition that will be forwarded to the NCAA rules committee to stop the proposed faceoff rule changes sign the petition support the cause

http://www.gopetition.com/petitions/faceoff-men-unite-again.html

Like Reply Quote
BACK OF THE CAGE SPONSORS

Re: Faceoff Petition 2014
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Originally Posted by Xavier jones
This is a link to an online petition that will be forwarded to the NCAA rules committee to stop the proposed faceoff rule changes sign the petition support the cause

http://www.gopetition.com/petitions/faceoff-men-unite-again.html


Great idea! On it!

Like Reply Quote
Re: Faceoff Petition 2014
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Thanks for posting, my son is devastated and confused at how adults would just decide to "fix what's not broke". This is a great position, yes there are inherent flaws, but all the F/O athletes know how to deal with it. Overall everything averages out, and it is a great, exciting part of the game that should be left alone. BTW, my 17 year old son is in the basement practicing as I write this, not out getting into trouble! Think about it, if there were real problems with the execution of the F/O, the F/O athletes would not all be so upset right now.

Like Reply Quote
Re: Faceoff Petition 2014
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
don't sign - rule change is awesome

Like Reply Quote
Re: Faceoff Petition 2014
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Originally Posted by Anonymous
don't sign - rule change is awesome


Too late done by nearly 1000 so far, loser go cry somewhere else

Like Reply Quote
Sponsored Links
Re: Faceoff Petition 2014
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Interesting who started that petition. Is it the turtle kid or Dad ?

Like Reply Quote
Re: Faceoff Petition 2014
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Face offs are important. But don't deserve all the money some get for div 1

Like Reply Quote
Re: Faceoff Petition 2014
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Maybe they ought to go back to facing off the way they did it in the 60's.
Same way the girls do it now.
NOT

Like Reply Quote
Re: Faceoff Petition 2014
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
The rule change will stand. What's wrong with the change anyway? That being said, you are welcome to waste your time and energy stressing over it.

Like Reply Quote
Re: Faceoff Petition 2014
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
They should have a face off to start the game then do away with it completely, men and women. They should give possession to the other team after every goal and have a shot clock.

Like Reply Quote
Sponsored Links
Re: Faceoff Petition 2014
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
This rule change is a good thing for the sport! The only thing better would be to eliminate the face offs except to start the game. Quick re-starts would help take the game tot he next level.

Like Reply Quote
Re: Faceoff Petition 2014
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
rules committee got it right, ball wedged in back of stick is not lacrosse. I hate an inferior team beating a superior team because of one skill of one none lacrosse player it is silly and anyway to eliminate that is a step in the right direction.

Even the name of the position is embarrassing...FOGO ='s Face off get off, meaning after you do your non-lacrosse skill get off the field and let a real player come on and play the real part of the game.

Like Reply Quote
Re: Faceoff Petition 2014
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
i like the rule change. The faceoff has become to specialized. What would be wrong if it became a ground ball battle?

Like Reply Quote
Re: Faceoff Petition 2014
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
A player running around with a misshapen stick head with ball in back of stick passing and shooting is a joke. Ball should not be allowed to be carried in back of stick.

Like Reply Quote
Re: Faceoff Petition 2014
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
I signed it, and others should as well. Rule change is just plain dumb

Like Reply Quote
Re: Faceoff Petition 2014
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Originally Posted by Anonymous
i like the rule change. The faceoff has become to specialized. What would be wrong if it became a ground ball battle?


What's wrong is that more kids will be injured. I wonder if you will still be in favor when your the hospital with your son and he has a serious concussion.

Like Reply Quote
Re: Faceoff Petition 2014
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Originally Posted by Anonymous
rules committee got it right, ball wedged in back of stick is not lacrosse. I hate an inferior team beating a superior team because of one skill of one none lacrosse player it is silly and anyway to eliminate that is a step in the right direction.

Even the name of the position is embarrassing...FOGO ='s Face off get off, meaning after you do your non-lacrosse skill get off the field and let a real player come on and play the real part of the game.


Well said! I agree 100%

Like Reply Quote
Re: Faceoff Petition 2014
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Modified heads and a one position only able to use the back of the head amounts to accepted cheating.

All equipment should conform to the conventional universal scooping, carrying and throwing of the ball.

Scrums are a part of the game. If the F/O kid is too small to compete in a scrum; then he will not be the F/O. It is a physical contact game.

Current rules allow for perfected unorthodox cheating techniques that are otherwise illegal to use at another point in the game.

FO/GO has become a unique weapon that fails to fully demonstrate many a F/O players additional true lacrosse acumen (if they have them) and thus harbors the distinct "gunslinger" advantage. (Why come off the field if he is otherwise a complete offensive player?)

Lacrosse has conformity to equipment across the board, but for too long; the kitchen has become a laboratory where the best modified pinched head that undergoes no scrutiny can thus become an unfair advantage.

DO NOT SIGN THE PETITION. Let the players measure up with equal equipment and scrutinized face off techniques.

Those who cry foul to this are upset that their blatant form of cheating has come under review and will voice their opinions that changes are tantamount to heresy.

I say it's about time.

Like Reply Quote
Re: Faceoff Petition 2014
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Originally Posted by Anonymous
Originally Posted by Anonymous
i like the rule change. The faceoff has become to specialized. What would be wrong if it became a ground ball battle?


What's wrong is that more kids will be injured. I wonder if you will still be in favor when your the hospital with your son and he has a serious concussion.


From groundball battle ????? Dunb statement.

Like Reply Quote
Re: Faceoff Petition 2014
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Originally Posted by Anonymous
I signed it, and others should as well. Rule change is just plain dumb


I think the rule change is pretty much a done deal.Maybe a shame but it is reality and everyone must move forward.

Like Reply Quote
Re: Faceoff Petition 2014
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Originally Posted by Anonymous
Originally Posted by Anonymous
Originally Posted by Anonymous
i like the rule change. The faceoff has become to specialized. What would be wrong if it became a ground ball battle?


What's wrong is that more kids will be injured. I wonder if you will still be in favor when your the hospital with your son and he has a serious concussion.


From groundball battle ????? Dunb statement.




How is it a dumb statement?? Without clean wins:

1.The wing middies will be colliding around the ball more frequently, running in full force towards a loose ball.

2. The F/O men will Jam each other, increasing the chances of head collision.

3. Expect many more slashing injuries around the x area.

The "rule-makers" should be making changes that will reduce the chances of injury, not increase it!

Like Reply Quote
Re: Faceoff Petition 2014
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Originally Posted by Anonymous
Modified heads and a one position only able to use the back of the head amounts to accepted cheating.

All equipment should conform to the conventional universal scooping, carrying and throwing of the ball.

Scrums are a part of the game. If the F/O kid is too small to compete in a scrum; then he will not be the F/O. It is a physical contact game.

Current rules allow for perfected unorthodox cheating techniques that are otherwise illegal to use at another point in the game.

FO/GO has become a unique weapon that fails to fully demonstrate many a F/O players additional true lacrosse acumen (if they have them) and thus harbors the distinct "gunslinger" advantage. (Why come off the field if he is otherwise a complete offensive player?)

Lacrosse has conformity to equipment across the board, but for too long; the kitchen has become a laboratory where the best modified pinched head that undergoes no scrutiny can thus become an unfair advantage.

DO NOT SIGN THE PETITION. Let the players measure up with equal equipment and scrutinized face off techniques.

Those who cry foul to this are upset that their blatant form of cheating has come under review and will voice their opinions that changes are tantamount to heresy.

I say it's about time.



Looks like you are in the minority! The petition is being signed by 1000s because the changes make no sense. You obviously have no idea what the face off position is all about. Go away and cry somewhere else.

Face Off men unite!! spread the word:

http://www.gopetition.com/petitions/faceoff-men-unite-again.html

Like Reply Quote
Re: Faceoff Petition 2014
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Originally Posted by Anonymous

The "rule-makers" should be making changes that will reduce the chances of injury, not increase it!


The simple fix to what your saying is to eliminate the face off!

Like Reply Quote
Re: Faceoff Petition 2014
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Originally Posted by Anonymous
Originally Posted by Anonymous
Originally Posted by Anonymous
Originally Posted by Anonymous
i like the rule change. The faceoff has become to specialized. What would be wrong if it became a ground ball battle?


What's wrong is that more kids will be injured. I wonder if you will still be in favor when your the hospital with your son and he has a serious concussion.


From groundball battle ????? Dunb statement.




How is it a dumb statement?? Without clean wins:

1.The wing middies will be colliding around the ball more frequently, running in full force towards a loose ball.

2. The F/O men will Jam each other, increasing the chances of head collision.

3. Expect many more slashing injuries around the x area.

The "rule-makers" should be making changes that will reduce the chances of injury, not increase it!

If you are such an advocate for safety, and the face-off presents all the dangers that you have stated, you have made a wonderful case for not having faceoffs throughout the game. Your argument loses both ways!!!!!!

Like Reply Quote
Re: Faceoff Petition 2014
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
To the jackwagon that called FOGO moves cheating...he probably had his kid re-classed...

Rule will not get passed, however, they may say you can only have in back of stick for 5 seconds...

FOGO is a skilled position and more important that any other position accept goalie. It is the one true mano v mano position on the field.

Some like it some don't but it shouldn't be changed just because you don't like it. Mis-shapen head equals cheating?

Come on now, using your hands is cheating the heads all get warped, you would know that if your kid played more.

Not going away as TV audience likes it...

Like Reply Quote
Re: Faceoff Petition 2014
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
This petition will not impact the rule change.

This is an excellent rule change which will marginalize dominant face off men and make the game better overall. I agree the term FOGO is illustrative of the problem. It is kind of like field goal kickers in football.

There are discussions on other forums about eliminating the after goal faceoff completely (think basketball). Generally there is more support for elimination rather than keeping the faceoff.

Like Reply Quote
Re: Faceoff Petition 2014
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Rule change is a step in the right direction. You cannot tell me a lax stick was designed to scoop "upside-down".

More changes needed:

-Regulate stick design; limited sidewall depth, and width.

-"Doctored" sticks=3 minute unreleasable.

-Ban motorcycle grip.


Like Reply Quote
Re: Faceoff Petition 2014
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Originally Posted by Anonymous
Originally Posted by Anonymous
Originally Posted by Anonymous
Originally Posted by Anonymous
Originally Posted by Anonymous
i like the rule change. The faceoff has become to specialized. What would be wrong if it became a ground ball battle?


What's wrong is that more kids will be injured. I wonder if you will still be in favor when your the hospital with your son and he has a serious concussion.


From groundball battle ????? Dunb statement.




How is it a dumb statement?? Without clean wins:

1.The wing middies will be colliding around the ball more frequently, running in full force towards a loose ball.

2. The F/O men will Jam each other, increasing the chances of head collision.

3. Expect many more slashing injuries around the x area.

The "rule-makers" should be making changes that will reduce the chances of injury, not increase it!

If you are such an advocate for safety, and the face-off presents all the dangers that you have stated, you have made a wonderful case for not having faceoffs throughout the game. Your argument loses both ways!!!!!!


The position is fine as is, eliminating it will make the game boring. Do some research and you will see that it has been tried before and it was a disaster. Clearly you don't like F/O but you are in the minority. You sound like a pathetic whining loser.

Like Reply Quote
Re: Faceoff Petition 2014
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Originally Posted by Anonymous

Looks like you are in the minority! The petition is being signed by 1000s because the changes make no sense. You obviously have no idea what the face off position is all about. Go away and cry somewhere else.

Face Off men unite!! spread the word:


LOL - there are 319,000,000 people in the USA and 1,212 have signed the petition, I would say you are in the minority and the true majority don't really care.

But, to bring more awareness to your cause I nominate you to take the FOGO ice bucket challenge, dump a bucket of ice water over your head, if your head gets stuck in the ice bucket it is an illegal procedure and you will be forced to teach you kid how to play real lacrosse and not fogo wrestlemania lacrosse, you have 24 hours to accept this challenge and about 7 months to teach your kid how to play lacrosse.....good luck

Like Reply Quote
Re: Faceoff Petition 2014
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
So should there be no more groundballs either? As soon as the ball hits the ground it would be a turnover?

Like Reply Quote
Re: Faceoff Petition 2014
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
For all of you that want to change or eliminate, why? What is wrong with current state? How will game be improved without FO? Half of the people on the field get off--long pole middy, d middy O middy.

Field goal kickers are not football players, really? Why would you ban moto grip? What difference does that make?

the problem is small minded people that refuse to evolve with the times. We live in the concussion era and what you are all proposing is more concussions via this rule change.

Get rid of it all together? Why? you don't like it so we should just eliminate the entire FO? Give me a real reason and perhaps read the article that talked about what actually happened when they tried this in the late 70s.

The role is here to stay and just because someone is good enough to win a very high percentage of the time does not mean that the rule .

Maybe we should just take out the goalies and have a cover with four holes in it so everyone has the same chance of scoring. we don't want syracuse to win just because their goalie is the best on the planet...

Think about your arguments and what is driving you to make comments.

Like Reply Quote
Re: Faceoff Petition 2014
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Originally Posted by Anonymous
To the jackwagon that called FOGO moves cheating...he probably had his kid re-classed...

Rule will not get passed, however, they may say you can only have in back of stick for 5 seconds...

FOGO is a skilled position and more important that any other position accept goalie. It is the one true mano v mano position on the field.

Some like it some don't but it shouldn't be changed just because you don't like it. Mis-shapen head equals cheating?

Come on now, using your hands is cheating the heads all get warped, you would know that if your kid played more.

Not going away as TV audience likes it...



That is why the face off will be eliminated in a few years. This is the first step toward that happening. I don't like it but it will happen

Like Reply Quote
Re: Faceoff Petition 2014
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Originally Posted by Anonymous


There are discussions on other forums about eliminating the after goal faceoff completely (think basketball).


The push for a shot clock certainly raises the argument for eliminating the post-goal faceoff. If the intent is to speed up action and force more shots, then the likely end-result is more goals. Setting up for a faceoff each time is a momentum killer.

Like Reply Quote
Re: Faceoff Petition 2014
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Originally Posted by Anonymous
Originally Posted by Anonymous

Looks like you are in the minority! The petition is being signed by 1000s because the changes make no sense. You obviously have no idea what the face off position is all about. Go away and cry somewhere else.

Face Off men unite!! spread the word:


LOL - there are 319,000,000 people in the USA and 1,212 have signed the petition, I would say you are in the minority and the true majority don't really care.

But, to bring more awareness to your cause I nominate you to take the FOGO ice bucket challenge, dump a bucket of ice water over your head, if your head gets stuck in the ice bucket it is an illegal procedure and you will be forced to teach you kid how to play real lacrosse and not fogo wrestlemania lacrosse, you have 24 hours to accept this challenge and about 7 months to teach your kid how to play lacrosse.....good luck


Please, most FOGO kids are the best athlete on the field. The only reason they get off is because their teams are scoring so much the coach wants them ready for the next FO. To think otherwise is foolish. Perhaps you have not taken 20 FO in a game to know that it is a grueling process requiring, speed, skill, and yes ability to play lax better than your third string D-1 wanna be.

WHat happened, did your boy lose his starting FO position to someone else? That must be the reason for your hate.

Like Reply Quote
Re: Faceoff Petition 2014
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Originally Posted by Anonymous
Originally Posted by Anonymous

Looks like you are in the minority! The petition is being signed by 1000s because the changes make no sense. You obviously have no idea what the face off position is all about. Go away and cry somewhere else.

Face Off men unite!! spread the word:


LOL - there are 319,000,000 people in the USA and 1,212 have signed the petition, I would say you are in the minority and the true majority don't really care.

But, to bring more awareness to your cause I nominate you to take the FOGO ice bucket challenge, dump a bucket of ice water over your head, if your head gets stuck in the ice bucket it is an illegal procedure and you will be forced to teach you kid how to play real lacrosse and not fogo wrestlemania lacrosse, you have 24 hours to accept this challenge and about 7 months to teach your kid how to play lacrosse.....good luck


Your son must go to Syracuse! That explains your negativity. You illustrated one important point. The game needs to grow, that's best for all of us. Citing the number of people in the US is meaningless since most of them don't even know what lax is. Keeping the most exciting part of the game intact only benefits the sport moving forward. The negativity only comes from those lacking a good face off man on their team, or out of frustration because they have not been able to perform well.

Like Reply Quote
Re: Faceoff Petition 2014
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
I am in favor of eliminating the face off all together and going to a quick restart which would greatly increase the excitement and speed of the game. But if the face offs are going to remain it is a great rule that the ball cannot be allowed to be carried in the back of the stick. Great face off men will still win that the same percentage but they will do it in a way that uses more actual lacrosse skills and techniques. The back of the crosse was never intended to carry the ball as evidenced by it's shape.

Like Reply Quote
Re: Faceoff Petition 2014
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Originally Posted by Anonymous

Please, most FOGO kids are the best athlete on the field. The only reason they get off is because their teams are scoring so much the coach wants them ready for the next FO. To think otherwise is foolish. Perhaps you have not taken 20 FO in a game to know that it is a grueling process requiring, speed, skill, and yes ability to play lax better than your third string D-1 wanna be.

WHat happened, did your boy lose his starting FO position to someone else? That must be the reason for your hate.


very interesting reply and yes, facing off is very grueling and that is why they don't have lacrosse players taking them, they don't want the real players getting tired.

Like Reply Quote
Re: Faceoff Petition 2014
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
All the parents who want the FOGO to go away should be careful about what they wish for. It just might come true and then the FOGOs will be taking some of your son's jobs. Easy to call them out now, it will be harder when the FOGO takes your young attack men/middy role from your boys.

What all of you don't realize is the focus that the FOGO position requires. In addition to hitting the wall and shooting an hour a day, the FOGOs are practicing their craft many more hours. The are specialized and focused like few others on the field. Take away their role and they are the kinds of people that will work to take away your son's position on the team.

If the rule stands, your son will be competing against one more kid that has the the laser focus that got him to be the best FOGO. Be careful what you wish for.


Like Reply Quote
Re: Faceoff Petition 2014
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Originally Posted by Anonymous
This petition will not impact the rule change.

This is an excellent rule change which will marginalize dominant face off men and make the game better overall. I agree the term FOGO is illustrative of the problem. It is kind of like field goal kickers in football.

There are discussions on other forums about eliminating the after goal faceoff completely (think basketball). Generally there is more support for elimination rather than keeping the faceoff.


This rule will not marginalize a dominant FOGO and to think it will is shortsighted. This rule change will just develop a different set of skills used during the FO and you will still have a dominant FOGO under the new rules. They may be different players, but there will always be someone better than another at this position. This rule will have little effect beyond this season on FOGO's.
The FO is too important a part of the game to not have a specialized player at that position.

Like Reply Quote
Re: Faceoff Petition 2014
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
We can all keep going back and forth here, or just agree to diagree. I am beyond upset about this because of what it is doing to my HS son. F/O men are a tight nit group and if this happens it could ruin lives. Does anyone care about that? There are young men here that are about to start college on well deserved scholarships that came from hours of hard work and sacrifices made by the families. If you truly support youth sports you would realize that there is much more at stake than a rule change. Or you can snub your nose and say you don't care because it doesn't affect your son. Just remember that karma is a [lacrosse], and there could be a time that you need support from the lacrosse community for an issue that affect your kid.

Like Reply Quote
Page 1 of 10 1 2 3 9 10
Quick Reply

Options
HTML is disabled
UBBCode is enabled
CAPTCHA Verification



Link Copied to Clipboard







Powered by UBB.threads™ PHP Forum Software 7.7.4