BOTC BOTC
The UnD1sputed Showcase (Boys & Girls) in June & the Girls LI Showcase is Open for Registration on CBLaxers.com - Don't Miss Out as 88 Players Only Accepted! | Invest for Growth - ADVERTISE with us!
BOTC GIRLS BOTC BOY BACK OF THE CAGE
BOTC GIRLS BOTC BOY MOST RECENT POSTS
MD Girls 2028
by Anonymous -
Boys 2030 Midatlantic
by Anonymous -
BOTC GIRLS BOTC BOY Forum Statistics
Forums20
Topics3,812
Posts386,923
Members2,608
Most Online62,980
Feb 6th, 2020
BOTC GIRLS BOTC BOY FOLLOW US ON TWITTER
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 2 of 52 1 2 3 4 51 52
Re: Boys 2018 Fall 2014/Summer 2015
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Originally Posted by Anonymous
to the guy trashing this convention of a tourny--Guess your kid didn't get invited to come play with fca...a few turtles did and all catholics well represented. not a joke tourny as far as i have seen. plenty of commits here playing.

Just dont read updates if you are not interested.

For tryout guy--every team puts them on the website, no need to look here

So just how many top 10 D1 coaches are chilling on the sidelines up there anyway? My guess is prob a whopping zero (unless they are playing in the masters tournament)

Yes; a convention of a tourney... Terps begging kids to go; FCA filling spot just as mentioned by whatever mercenaries they can get, sweet lax trying to make a "committed only team" that serves only to sweeten their club's name if they win.....

Twerps beating twerps in the semi's? .......wow.

Seriously....not on the "must be there" radar for anyone.

I am so glad that your son does not play on the Terps or for any of the teams at Lake Placid now. I could only imagine how you'd behave on the sideline. Lake Placid is a beautiful place to visit and sometimes it's just about having fun playing a great game of lacrosse. This is why the boys began playing this game in the first place-for fun. All the parents knew that no coaches would be here. I feel sorry that you feel the only lacrosse worth playing is in front of D1 coaches. I feel sorry that you don't understand that and most of all I feel sorry for your child because I'm pretty sure you will kill his love of this game. Go back and read what you wrote and ask yourself, "Would I be proud of myself if my family knew I wrote this?"

BOTC GIRLS BOTC BOY BACK OF THE CAGE SPONSORS

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
I would hope that anyone with a sense of the pride and tradition of the game of lacrosse would not come on a forum and bash the Lake Placid Tournament. After the Vail Shootout, it was the only game in town for years and was a tournament that everyone aspired to play in for the overall atmosphere and experience. I might be nostalgic, but I think it still holds that mystique to people who have been around the game for years. You compete hard, but at the end of the day friendships are forged and bonds are created that last for years and decades, that is why people have been going back for 25 years, that is why Lake Placid and Vail will always have a special place in this game. It is a different time and it is a different sport, but you are still an athlete and when you go into town you are walking in the same places that Jim Craig, Eric Heiden and Mike Eruzione, among others walked. That humbling experience alone is why as an athlete you go to Lake Placid, the tournament is not about self promotion but about promoting the game. Something I think we need more of.
Bob Bohanan Annapolis, Md

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
I would hope that anyone with a sense of the pride and tradition of the game of lacrosse would not come on a forum and bash the Lake Placid Tournament. After the Vail Shootout, it was the only game in town for years and was a tournament that everyone aspired to play in for the overall atmosphere and experience. I might be nostalgic, but I think it still holds that mystique to people who have been around the game for years. You compete hard, but at the end of the day friendships are forged and bonds are created that last for years and decades, that is why people have been going back for 25 years, that is why Lake Placid and Vail will always have a special place in this game. It is a different time and it is a different sport, but you are still an athlete and when you go into town you are walking in the same places that Jim Craig, Eric Heiden and Mike Eruzione, among others walked. That humbling experience alone is why as an athlete you go to Lake Placid, the tournament is not about self promotion but about promoting the game. Something I think we need more of.

So many have forgotten what the game itself is about.

Thank you for reminding us all.

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

So many have forgotten what the game itself is about.

Thank you for reminding us all.
to the guy trashing this convention of a tourny--Guess your kid didn't get invited to come play with fca...a few turtles did and all catholics well represented. not a joke tourny as far as i have seen. plenty of commits here playing.

Just dont read updates if you are not interested.

For tryout guy--every team puts them on the website, no need to look here

So just how many top 10 D1 coaches are chilling on the sidelines up there anyway? My guess is prob a whopping zero (unless they are playing in the masters tournament)

Yes; a convention of a tourney... Terps begging kids to go; FCA filling spot just as mentioned by whatever mercenaries they can get, sweet lax trying to make a "committed only team" that serves only to sweeten their club's name if they win.....

Twerps beating twerps in the semi's? .......wow.

Seriously....not on the "must be there" radar for anyone.

I am so glad that your son does not play on the Terps or for any of the teams at Lake Placid now. I could only imagine how you'd behave on the sideline. Lake Placid is a beautiful place to visit and sometimes it's just about having fun playing a great game of lacrosse. This is why the boys began playing this game in the first place-for fun. All the parents knew that no coaches would be here. I feel sorry that you feel the only lacrosse worth playing is in front of D1 coaches. I feel sorry that you don't understand that and most of all I feel sorry for your child because I'm pretty sure you will kill his love of this game. Go back and read what you wrote and ask yourself, "Would I be proud of myself if my family knew I wrote this?"

Unfortunately lacrosse has attracted some of the most horrible people. ..classless.

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

Bravo, Bob! People have lost sight of things. We were recently at the Brine and for this age it is not a recruiting event. One parent said "what a waste to come here." Because there were no coaches.

BOTC GIRLS BOTC BOY Sponsored Links
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Being among the first money grab events is not an excuse for holding a poorly timed event. The club travel season is already too long. Unless these events are poorly attended and lose money for the organizer, the season will continue to expand. I am sure this event is finely run and nostalgic, but why is it held in August?

The months of June and July are ample for Summer travel. If you send your club team to an August event you are contributing to the mania and hurting the game. This is the way I see the current calendar. Bob, are you telling me this is not enough lacrosse for you? Back in the day it was one of two events now it is one of hundreds.

JAN - HS/College pre-season strength/conditioning
FEB - HS/College tryouts/season starts
MAR - HS/College/Youth season
APR - HS/College/Youth season
MAY - HS/College/Youth season
JUN - Club season
JUL - Club season
AUG - Dead month/vacation
SEP - School begins Fall Ball workouts (strength/conditioning)
OCT - HS/College/Youth Fall Ball
NOV - Club Fall Ball
DEC - Holiday season (strength/conditioning)

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Being among the first money grab events is not an excuse for holding a poorly timed event. The club travel season is already too long. Unless these events are poorly attended and lose money for the organizer, the season will continue to expand. I am sure this event is finely run and nostalgic, but why is it held in August?

The months of June and July are ample for Summer travel. If you send your club team to an August event you are contributing to the mania and hurting the game. This is the way I see the current calendar. Bob, are you telling me this is not enough lacrosse for you? Back in the day it was one of two events now it is one of hundreds.

JUN - Club season
JUL - Club season
NOV - Club Fall Ball

Where did the fun go?

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

JUN - Club season
JUL - Club season
NOV - Club Fall Ball

Correction:

Aug - Clinics and training sessions to prepare for tryouts and for some clubs tryouts themselves

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

JUN - Club season
JUL - Club season
NOV - Club Fall Ball

Correction:

Aug - Clinics and training sessions to prepare for tryouts and for some clubs tryouts themselves

I think they have got to put the stick DOWN...

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

JUN - Club season
JUL - Club season
NOV - Club Fall Ball

Correction:

F'n ridiculous August. yes Workout to stay fit. August don't touch the stick for 2 weeks. then maybe do the wall and a sporadic clinic.

Swimming is the best sport. August is to SWIM SWIM SWIM in ocean in pools in lakes. Do you sons all a favor have them swim

BOTC GIRLS BOTC BOY Sponsored Links
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

JUN - Club season
JUL - Club season
NOV - Club Fall Ball

Correction:

F'n ridiculous August. yes Workout to stay fit. August don't touch the stick for 2 weeks. then maybe do the wall and a sporadic clinic.

Swimming is the best sport. August is to SWIM SWIM SWIM in ocean in pools in lakes. Do you sons all a favor have them swim

The correction post was sarcasm

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Its crazy. What if your kid is a multi sport athlete? Is it crazy to ask them to pick one sport at 14. At a recent lacrosse showcase the coaches involved in a Q & A session specifically said that they prefer athletes that played other sports. That playing other sports helps them not only physically but mentally. With the demands that are placed on these kids isn't it almost impossible to play more than one sport at a high level. Seeing the injuries that many young athletes are suffering, could it be attributed to repetitive use and only playing one sport. When we grew up we played every sport under the sun developing our whole bodies. Now with sport specific training you tend to train to the one sport you play and neglect other regions of your body. How many kids did you know in the 70's and 80's that needed knee surgery or Tommy John. I can recall none.

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
just a thought......do what ever you want and what your kid wants to do and enjoy. we do what we want based on what he and his friends want to do.not based on a calendar - if he has a conflict (family vacation or another sport vs. lax) we let him decide and he usually always picks lax

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

JUN - Club season
JUL - Club season
NOV - Club Fall Ball

You seemed to have totally missed my point,yet at the same time proved my point. I believe Lake Placid has always been around this time of year, so they didn't move. June and July are jammed with tourneys for third and fourth grade recruiting purposes, this is not one of those tournaments. You said take a vacation in August, that is what a lot of these families are doing, a vacation with a handful of games thrown in the middle. If that is what they are choosing and what they want, who are we to criticize them. I don't see football/soccer in the fall or basketball/wrestling in the winter on your time table. I think that is a bigger concern than five or six days in August.

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Its crazy. What if your kid is a multi sport athlete? Is it crazy to ask them to pick one sport at 14. At a recent lacrosse showcase the coaches involved in a Q & A session specifically said that they prefer athletes that played other sports. That playing other sports helps them not only physically but mentally. With the demands that are placed on these kids isn't it almost impossible to play more than one sport at a high level. Seeing the injuries that many young athletes are suffering, could it be attributed to repetitive use and only playing one sport. When we grew up we played every sport under the sun developing our whole bodies. Now with sport specific training you tend to train to the one sport you play and neglect other regions of your body. How many kids did you know in the 70's and 80's that needed knee surgery or Tommy John. I can recall none.

First of all, no one was playing 30 (40 -50 for recruiting years) summer games of lax after the school season. That's a fact. Further, no one started playing any of these sports for the most part until Jr HS. (they call it middle school now) Same thing with baseball. You are right, except for a very few select natural athletes, it's impossible not to keep working at lax to stay with the pack. As far as injuries, I suggest you look into a good overall weight training program, one that should be done year round. One that focuses on a balanced physique, full body development, and injury prevention. It is the answer to the repetitive injury problem, as the whole body is worked and weaknesses are addressed. Please, stay away from the shoots and ladder programs, more injuries to be had there... Not against other sports, but not going to force my kid to play one either.

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

JUN - Club season
JUL - Club season
NOV - Club Fall Ball

Correction:

You have to prepare end of July if you want to try out for Team Long Island.

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
First 2018 commit is supposed to be from Madlax heading to Hopkins.

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Just heard the same thing. Also know of one other that is about to commit from LI...to UNC

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Heard UNC commit is done waiting to announce

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
You folks are out of your minds.

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
The name of the madlax kid was released - he is not a reclass as he was on the U13 madlax team that went to [lacrosse]'s

Congrats to him and his family - JHU is a great school

Glad he is not older

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
You folks are out of your minds.

Why do you say that? People talking about 2018 kids committing to college are out of their minds? Huh?

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
These early recruiting coaches will be doing a resume before the U-13 commits are shaving more than once a week. I am 45 years old, about what a college coach would be. Must be at some level humiliating for them to be doing this musical chairs for spots thing with 8th or 9th graders. Seemed like last year Dom Starsia complained about how embarrassing it is to watch 9th graders play lacrosse. No wait; that was last year. Good for kids and families to get a college opportunity. Not so good for the coaches who will be stuck with kids who may or may not develop in the next 4-5 years before they even get to college.

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
These early recruiting coaches will be doing a resume before the U-13 commits are shaving more than once a week. I am 45 years old, about what a college coach would be. Must be at some level humiliating for them to be doing this musical chairs for spots thing with 8th or 9th graders. Seemed like last year Dom Starsia complained about how embarrassing it is to watch 9th graders play lacrosse. No wait; that was last year. Good for kids and families to get a college opportunity. Not so good for the coaches who will be stuck with kids who may or may not develop in the next 4-5 years before they even get to college.

Recently spoke to an asst coach at a top ACC school who's program is "very concerned about their early commits". Yet it keeps on going... Absolute insane process, best of luck and congrats to the kids. They can only work within the system.

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Who will be the first 2018 from LI to announce? Will it be from 91 or Express?

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
The name of the madlax kid was released - he is not a reclass as he was on the U13 madlax team that went to [lacrosse]'s

Glad he is not older

Who cares if he is a reclass or not? It's none of your business.

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

One of the extreme kids would be my bet

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
not 91 or express from what I heard. Kid from another program.

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

This makes sound sense.
http://www.insidelacrosse.com/article/be-smart-parents-timing-of-verbal-commmitments/22542

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

What is more important, early commit or right commit? My son wants to study Bovine Scatology. Most D1 Lacrosse schools offer this.

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Already done and not 91 or express

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

Recently spoke to an asst coach at a top ACC school who's program is "very concerned about their early commits". Yet it keeps on going... Absolute insane process, best of luck and congrats to the kids. They can only work within the system.

Yup- I'm sure you DID talk to asst acc coach - trying to get him to look at ur pathetic son. It's incredible the asinine things grown people say!!!!

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

Glad he is not older

Why?

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

What is more important, early commit or right commit? My son wants to study Bovine Scatology. Most D1 Lacrosse schools offer this.

I would have to say the right commit, IMO, 95% of the 2018s haven't a clue on what they want to study or what they want to study. If they are committing based on lacrosse, they are going to probably be miserable. I guess parents and players who have gone to the showcases haven't been listening to what the coaches keep emphasizing, "go to the school as if you were not playing a sport and not for the sport." Who knows what might happen.

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

I have a kid in this age group (true 2018 b-day) and we have talked to several schools that have expressed interest. I completely agree that it is too soon, but by the same token, what are we supposed to do? Tell the coach we are not interested in your great school and want to wait two years?

These coaches are all following the early path, they started it, not us. Should we say to a great school no thanks for the offer of $ to attend your school?

UNC, JHP, Michigan, ND, UVA are all doing it. My understanding is that Ivies and Duke want a full year of HS grades first.

I know my kid is not ready to make life choices, but I am pretty sure that sending him to any of the above will not be a mistake...For all the doubters out there, half of these kids would never get into these schools without Lax. Do you know what the acceptance rates at these institutions are? How many of you knew what you wanted to do for a living in college? I sure didn't but the school I went to was the one that I could afford...today, that is more important than anything.

In our house it is grades first, everything else second, but the only way a kid from LI is getting IVY or Duke for that matter is a perfect SAT and a resume that shows that he overcame some tragedy. Or because he can play Lax...

For the UVA, Michigans and others above, they send out plenty of rejection letters to LI every year, if your kid gets into any of them, you should be proud.

Not sure this is worthy of any debate. If your kid gets recruited and you think there is too much risk with a choice to attend ND, then say no and wait and see what happens.

For my family, a kid going to any of the above would be a step above any NYS Suny school...No disrespect to Stony Brook or Albany or Penn State, I am sure they are all great schools, but they aren't UVA, Michigan, Duke...

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

I have a kid in this age group (true 2018 b-day) and we have talked to several schools that have expressed interest. I completely agree that it is too soon, but by the same token, what are we supposed to do? Tell the coach we are not interested in your great school and want to wait two years?

These coaches are all following the early path, they started it, not us. Should we say to a great school no thanks for the offer of $ to attend your school?

UNC, JHP, Michigan, ND, UVA are all doing it. My understanding is that Ivies and Duke want a full year of HS grades first.

I know my kid is not ready to make life choices, but I am pretty sure that sending him to any of the above will not be a mistake...For all the doubters out there, half of these kids would never get into these schools without Lax. Do you know what the acceptance rates at these institutions are? How many of you knew what you wanted to do for a living in college? I sure didn't but the school I went to was the one that I could afford...today, that is more important than anything.

In our house it is grades first, everything else second, but the only way a kid from LI is getting IVY or Duke for that matter is a perfect SAT and a resume that shows that he overcame some tragedy. Or because he can play Lax...

For the UVA, Michigans and others above, they send out plenty of rejection letters to LI every year, if your kid gets into any of them, you should be proud.

Not sure this is worthy of any debate. If your kid gets recruited and you think there is too much risk with a choice to attend ND, then say no and wait and see what happens.

For my family, a kid going to any of the above would be a step above any NYS Suny school...No disrespect to Stony Brook or Albany or Penn State, I am sure they are all great schools, but they aren't UVA, Michigan, Duke...

I do agree with most of what you say, but don't group penn state, ranked 37 nationally with the #1 alumni network, with stony brook (82) or albany (128). They are not in the same league!

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

Glad he is not older

Why?

so, basically you are try to say that a U13 [which by the way is 7/8 grade] got a commit from JHU. Must be one heck of a player.

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

Yup- I'm sure you DID talk to asst acc coach - trying to get him to look at ur pathetic son. It's incredible the asinine things grown people say!!!!

Moron, why the personal attack??? My son is in a great spot, thanks.
Lacrosse is a small world. Think about it. I'm very sorry you have trouble with the truth. By the way, I didn't say it, THE COACH DID! Did I reveal the school? No. Did I reveal any individual recruit? NO. Did I reveal a particular grad year? NO.
It was a perfectly pertinent comment from the inside on early recruiting, something you should be thankful I shared with you.
Something you should keep in mind, when and if your son is ever lucky enough to get noticed. If he's already committed, then keep your eyes wide open.
I guess in your world it couldn't be possible that a recruit doesn't continue to develop the way a particular school would hope. Personally, I feel for the kids, way too much pressure.

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
FYI, as you refer to SUNY schools, my oldest graduated college 2012, of all his HS friends and they were graduates from schools all over the US, Michigan, Duke, Delaware, Penn IVY. I find it rather comical SUNYs are disregarded as lesser schools, but do hate to tell you the only ones employed before graduating (honestly for some it took a solid year to find employment) were the two who went to Binghamton and SUNY Maritime. The Maritime kid walked into a 110K a year starting job.

The DUKE grad is currently working at the Apple store after some employment as a bartender. The Michigan kid is working for his parents business.

And no my kid unfortunately was not one of the SUNY grads, but one of the other top ranked schools. You can be sure I won't over look the strength of Binghamton or Maritime with my other kids.

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

I do agree with most of what you say, but don't group penn state, ranked 37 nationally with the #1 alumni network, with stony brook (82) or albany (128). They are not in the same league!

Duke is not equivalent to UVA or Michigan for that matter either!

Page 2 of 52 1 2 3 4 51 52

Link Copied to Clipboard