BOTC BOTC
The UnD1sputed Showcase (Boys & Girls) in June & the Girls LI Showcase is Open for Registration on CBLaxers.com - Don't Miss Out as 88 Players Only Accepted! | Invest for Growth - ADVERTISE with us!
BOTC GIRLS BOTC BOY BACK OF THE CAGE
BOTC GIRLS BOTC BOY MOST RECENT POSTS
Boys High School Lax
by Anonymous -
Girls High School Lax
by Anonymous -
BOTC GIRLS BOTC BOY Forum Statistics
Forums20
Topics3,802
Posts385,545
Members2,606
Most Online62,980
Feb 6th, 2020
BOTC GIRLS BOTC BOY FOLLOW US ON TWITTER
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 5 of 45 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 44 45
Re: Boys 2017 Fall 2014/Summer 2015
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Originally Posted by Anonymous
Less than 10 committed 2017 play D...

And a good percentage of the D kids that are committed are 2016 reclassifieds.

Where are you getting this data from? Or is this a purely anecdotal statement?

I personally know more than half of the D commits. And all are age appropriate. 2 that I don't know personally are in fact reclassified. (The Long Island D commits are age appropriate as well)

Where is the "good percentage" then? Please elaborate.

There are more than 10 D commits. I realize that the Long Island commits are age appropriate, but they seem to be the only ones. Check out Toplaxrecruits.com and look at the 2017 commits. .

BOTC GIRLS BOTC BOY BACK OF THE CAGE SPONSORS

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
2017 parents,

2018 parent here looking for advice on individual showcases to attend as a freshman.

FALL:
I've been told the Phhily Freshman showcase is the best any experience?
What about Jake Reed Fall?
Also is one showcase enough for the fall or should I throw money at multiple people?

SUMMER:
How many individual showcases should we attend next summer?

I assume answers will vary based on expectations.
-Top Tier D1
-Mid Tier D1
-Lower Tier D1
-Top Tier D II/III
-Lower Tier D II/III

Also, what is the right time to sit down and write your 1st letter to the schools of interest?

Any feedback and help is appreciated - THANKS!!

My son is a 2017 and we just finished up this summer and it is definitely a gauntlet. There are several big time showcases and several second tier showcases you should consider doing. Be realistic about where your son is at or you will wind up wasting a ton of money. If you believe your son is ready to get looked at, start sending out emails to the coaches of the schools your son is interested in.

The list of showcases (IMHO)

Fall:

Philly Showcase. Hard to get in, but well worth it.

Jake Reed Fall showcase. Again, hard to get in.

Winter:

3d Blue Chip. A play in camp for Jake Reed summer.

Spring/Summer:

Adrenaline Black Card. Among the best. First class all the way. Loaded with D1 coaches.

Maverick Showtime. Probably the premier showcase out there right now.

Jake Reed summer. Again, top notch.

Top205: Ive heard mixed reviews, lower D1, upper D2-D3 coaches in attendance.

Blue Chip 225: Lot of upper D3, some top D1. Nicely run camp up at Bryant.

Based on what club team you play for you might be attending some showcase tournaments as well.

Top Tourneys (IMHO)

Crabfeast. Top competition. D1 Coaches everywhere.

Adrenaline Platinum. Great event, D1 coaches everywhere.

fl$ in 3d. Great tourney. Poorly run this year from a parking standpoint but a lot of coaches and top competition.

Im sure Im missing some but this is my list. Word of advice, dont do too much, you will burn him out. Do one or two showcases and whatever tourneys your club team is doing. You have plenty of time, hes only a 2018. Everyone is panicking but the reality is that most kids get recruited going into their junior or senior years.

Good luck and enjoy the journey, you only do it once.

Wow, what a great/thoughtful response. Exactly what this site should be about rather the non-stop bashing and trashing that goes on.

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
2017 parents,

2018 parent here looking for advice on individual showcases to attend as a freshman.

FALL:
Also is one showcase enough for the fall or should I throw money at multiple people?

SUMMER:

-Top Tier D1
-Mid Tier D1
-Lower Tier D1
-Top Tier D II/III
-Lower Tier D II/III

Also, what is the right time to sit down and write your 1st letter to the schools of interest?

My son is a 2017 and we just finished up this summer and it is definitely a gauntlet. There are several big time showcases and several second tier showcases you should consider doing. Be realistic about where your son is at or you will wind up wasting a ton of money. If you believe your son is ready to get looked at, start sending out emails to the coaches of the schools your son is interested in.

Fall:

Winter:

Spring/Summer:

Adrenaline Black Card. Among the best. First class all the way. Loaded with D1 coaches.

Based on what club team you play for you might be attending some showcase tournaments as well.

Top Tourneys (IMHO)

fl$ in 3d. Great tourney. Poorly run this year from a parking standpoint but a lot of coaches and top competition.

Im sure Im missing some but this is my list. Word of advice, dont do too much, you will burn him out. Do one or two showcases and whatever tourneys your club team is doing. You have plenty of time, hes only a 2018. Everyone is panicking but the reality is that most kids get recruited going into their junior or senior years.

Wow, what a great/thoughtful response. Exactly what this site should be about rather the non-stop bashing and trashing that goes on.

Was just going to write the same thing!

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
2017 parents,

FALL:

SUMMER:

-Top Tier D1
-Mid Tier D1
-Lower Tier D1
-Top Tier D II/III
-Lower Tier D II/III

Fall:

Winter:

Spring/Summer:

Top Tourneys (IMHO)

Good advice given up there and the order of significance is spot on also.
Just went through it as well and agree about the parking debacle!!

Jake reed going into 9th grade wasn't as attended by D1 coaches as it was for rising sophs this summer.

Philly showcase is the true early indicator. Get into the fab40 all star game and your coach's phone will be ringing off of the hook.

The part about writing letters to coaches is a gray area. Some coaches may read them and most are ambivalent about them. The scouts are out there. They have particular needs and rolls to fill that all end up with great players but their MO of obtaining them and contacting varies greatly.

I was actually told by one very high level D1 coach that he deletes all emails requesting that he come to such and such tournaments to watch s and so player. These guys are and have been analyzing your kid's team already if it's an elite team and are culling out the kids they have an interest in.

Now that the "horror" of recruiting 9th graders has been somewhat desensitized; I imagine that this next group of 9th graders will be even more aggressively pursued.

Beg borrow and or steal and get into the showcases mentioned. Not only your club coach can make recommendations for these (HS, private coaches and friends who know directors....). It can become a "who you know " situation so get on it ASAP.

Bottom line is: if the kid has talent; they will find him sooner or later. There are a lot of spots to fill so don't get overwhelmed. Enjoy watching the games and keep it fun for your kid. They generate their own amount of tension through the process so try not to add to it. Just keep him in the game mentally and enjoy the experience together.

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
2017 parents,

FALL:

SUMMER:

-Top Tier D1
-Mid Tier D1
-Lower Tier D1
-Top Tier D II/III
-Lower Tier D II/III

Fall:

Winter:

Spring/Summer:

Top Tourneys (IMHO)

Good advice given up there and the order of significance is spot on also.
Just went through it as well and agree about the parking debacle!!

Jake reed going into 9th grade wasn't as attended by D1 coaches as it was for rising sophs this summer.

Philly showcase is the true early indicator. Get into the fab40 all star game and your coach's phone will be ringing off of the hook.

The part about writing letters to coaches is a gray area. Some coaches may read them and most are ambivalent about them. The scouts are out there. They have particular needs and rolls to fill that all end up with great players but their MO of obtaining them and contacting varies greatly.

I was actually told by one very high level D1 coach that he deletes all emails requesting that he come to such and such tournaments to watch s and so player. These guys are and have been analyzing your kid's team already if it's an elite team and are culling out the kids they have an interest in.

Now that the "horror" of recruiting 9th graders has been somewhat desensitized; I imagine that this next group of 9th graders will be even more aggressively pursued.

Beg borrow and or steal and get into the showcases mentioned. Not only your club coach can make recommendations for these (HS, private coaches and friends who know directors....). It can become a "who you know " situation so get on it ASAP.

Bottom line is: if the kid has talent; they will find him sooner or later. There are a lot of spots to fill so don't get overwhelmed. Enjoy watching the games and keep it fun for your kid. They generate their own amount of tension through the process so try not to add to it. Just keep him in the game mentally and enjoy the experience together.

Another great/thoughtful response - what is going on here? Is it a full moon? Exactly what this site should be about. Thank you poster.

BOTC GIRLS BOTC BOY Sponsored Links
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
My two cents:

As a parent of a 2017 who just went through this summer with the added stress of "getting looked at" I have come to a few conclusions, they may be right or maybe wrong but they are all IMHO:

It seems that a good portion of the kids that are getting recruited are kids that have some connection to the schools they are committing to. IE, parents are alums, sibling attends, etc. Nothing wrong with this of course but it is a factor.

The whole thing seems to be a bit overhyped. As of now there are roughly 100 2017 commits. Id like to see the data on the amount of 2016 kids committed at the same time last year, but I would guess its not far off.

Lot of waste of time money grabs out there. Lot of "prospect days" and "clinics" and "camps" that profess to be showcases. We all know what the real showcases are and unless your son is specifically requested at a college prospect day, save your time and money.

I think the question in my mind is not "can" my son commit, but "should" my son commit. I dont know about most of your 2017's, but mine cant make up his mind what he wants for breakfast, nevermind what college he wants to go to. I think this speaks to where you think your son is at, if you think hes ready to make that sort of life changing decision, then so be it.

My son was at a very well attended college recruiting showcase camp over the summer where he made the all star team. The director of the camp spoke to all the all star kids and told them, and I quote "just relax, go out and have fun, the fact is that 70 percent of college lacrosse players get recruited going into their senior years" I think that speaks for itself.

In closing, to me unless your kid has some connection to the university, or hes a freak of nature, or older and more mature, or he has a great day at a showcase and draws attention, these next two years should be about getting better, getting on the radar of the schools hes interested in and getting ready to make the most important decision of his life.

To all those parents whose 2017 son has committed I say congratulations and best of luck, and to the rest of us wallowing in uncertainty and stress I say enjoy the ride, these are the best times of your life with your son, treasure every minute of it, because before you know it'll be all over.

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Really great advice and I'll add my two cents.

I think you have to look at the events you attend with your club team and individual showcases. Our son plays on a good club team, but I would say the club directors make a concerted effort to market certain kids and for the most part those kids wind up making the "all star" games. Now some of those selected absolutely deserved it, but we were always scratching our collective heads about who was getting pushed. Your club may be different, but the interesting thing was that four kids are getting heavily recruited now, and they were seen at events where our club team wasn't involved. So if your club team is like this make sure you play some free agent events where your son has a clear slate so to speak to showcase his abilities.

I keep hearing that Maverik has supplanted Jake Reed and that may very well be the case. That being said, all I think you can ask for is the chance to show yourself, and at the 2017 JR this summer, anybody and everybody was there. In most cases 2-3 coaches per school were there where the one or two would watch and then at half the other ones would rotate over and watch.

Second the comments on the two Philly Showcase events.

I think it pays to be proactive with college coaches. I know it has certainly helped my son. I just think you have to be smart about the timing of your letters.

As far a prospect camps go, I would tell you to call or have your club or high school coach call to see where your son stands. At least in our experience the college coaches have been very candid. It saved us some money in some instances, and allowed us to better target 2-3 schools where there was a lot of interest and they wanted one more up close evaluation before making a decision.

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
You ever hear the expression "You missed the boat" If you get a few offers then your son needs to make a decision if not those offers disappear because the recruiting budget is only so big if you want money. If money isnt a factor any coach would love to take a player and not pay because he has nothing to lose its win/win. Hopefully the kid is good enough and the coach will pay some down the road, but like I mentioned if money is not a factor you could take as much time as your child needs. Good luck.
My two cents:

As a parent of a 2017 who just went through this summer with the added stress of "getting looked at" I have come to a few conclusions, they may be right or maybe wrong but they are all IMHO:

It seems that a good portion of the kids that are getting recruited are kids that have some connection to the schools they are committing to. IE, parents are alums, sibling attends, etc. Nothing wrong with this of course but it is a factor.

The whole thing seems to be a bit overhyped. As of now there are roughly 100 2017 commits. Id like to see the data on the amount of 2016 kids committed at the same time last year, but I would guess its not far off.

Lot of waste of time money grabs out there. Lot of "prospect days" and "clinics" and "camps" that profess to be showcases. We all know what the real showcases are and unless your son is specifically requested at a college prospect day, save your time and money.

I think the question in my mind is not "can" my son commit, but "should" my son commit. I dont know about most of your 2017's, but mine cant make up his mind what he wants for breakfast, nevermind what college he wants to go to. I think this speaks to where you think your son is at, if you think hes ready to make that sort of life changing decision, then so be it.

My son was at a very well attended college recruiting showcase camp over the summer where he made the all star team. The director of the camp spoke to all the all star kids and told them, and I quote "just relax, go out and have fun, the fact is that 70 percent of college lacrosse players get recruited going into their senior years" I think that speaks for itself.

In closing, to me unless your kid has some connection to the university, or hes a freak of nature, or older and more mature, or he has a great day at a showcase and draws attention, these next two years should be about getting better, getting on the radar of the schools hes interested in and getting ready to make the most important decision of his life.

To all those parents whose 2017 son has committed I say congratulations and best of luck, and to the rest of us wallowing in uncertainty and stress I say enjoy the ride, these are the best times of your life with your son, treasure every minute of it, because before you know it'll be all over.

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
So what happens with the Ivys? Since they wait until the kids have a year of grades and possibly an SAT under their belt, do kids that really want to go Ivy just sit and turn down other colleges? I can only imagine the stress of having offers from ND and VA, but wanting to see if the IVY of your choice is interested. Do the Ivy coaches talk to the kids prior, and give an indication if they are interested in the kids? I know there have been a lot of recent transfers and one or two kids that have decommitted to a school in favor of another, but I would hate to think that decommitting would become a trend. Any idea how this works?

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
An Ivy doesn't offer any money athletically and if you could afford to send your child there then I would choose that route if he is that smart there is some leeway grade wise but not much & all the schools are in the northeast which makes traveling that much easier to see him play and the job opportunities are endless.

BOTC GIRLS BOTC BOY Sponsored Links
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
DeCommitting is the next logical trend (on players and coaches sides)....

It will be the natural corrective action to this impossible process of predicting ideal college fits between player vs. program, student vs. university academic standards...

the whole early verbal committment was originally a recruiting tactic to land the next Lebron of Lacrosse... If there are only 5 of the 100 early commits found in the Lebron catagory, everyone (in this forum) who payed attention, would be shocked...

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
DeCommitting is the next logical trend (on players and coaches sides)....

It will be the natural corrective action to this impossible process of predicting ideal college fits between player vs. program, student vs. university academic standards...

the whole early verbal committment was originally a recruiting tactic to land the next Lebron of Lacrosse... If there are only 5 of the 100 early commits found in the Lebron catagory, everyone (in this forum) who payed attention, would be shocked...

The trend might be about reaching the tipping point... The schools that are waiting just a little longer to recruit seem to be doing better...

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
So what happens with the Ivys? Since they wait until the kids have a year of grades and possibly an SAT under their belt, do kids that really want to go Ivy just sit and turn down other colleges? I can only imagine the stress of having offers from ND and VA, but wanting to see if the IVY of your choice is interested. Do the Ivy coaches talk to the kids prior, and give an indication if they are interested in the kids? I know there have been a lot of recent transfers and one or two kids that have decommitted to a school in favor of another, but I would hate to think that decommitting would become a trend. Any idea how this works?

Oh to have such problems! Life is about choices and these would be some that 99.9% of kids and their parents would kill to have. Very important to keep perspective.....and if UVA v ND v Ivy is the biggest problem in your son's life I can only say relax, count your blessings and be happy.

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Maybe you should work in a soup kitchen and give back. Then maybe you will put life into perspective.

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
basketball does it right... The number 1 ranked player in the nation for the 2015 class is uncommitted.

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

Oh to have such problems! Life is about choices and these would be some that 99.9% of kids and their parents would kill to have. Very important to keep perspective.....and if UVA v ND v Ivy is the biggest problem in your son's life I can only say relax, count your blessings and be happy.

check the express thread, several 2017 commits to ivies

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
how many times can it be said you can not do anything beyond saying you are committing to the application process to an IVYm big difference than getting a likely letter and likely letters do not go out till fall of Senior year, these kids are just sophomores. Admissions makes the decision for IVYs not the coach. If the essay stinks or the interview tanks, or the recs are bad a coach can want this kid but admissions has the final say.

There are tips and slots, the coach can give a slot to one of these kids, BUT if a kids scores are not over the IVY minimum AI, it won't happen.
Obtaining the minimum Academic Index for Harvard is no easy task, and if the kid is fortunate enough to get the SAT/ACT scores,GPA of an unhooked admit, well then the kid got there by his academics and could have gotten in anyway.

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

Decommittimg is going to start happening more and more, on both ends. Kids and colleges should NOT be making these decisions before the end of their Junior/start of their Senior year. I would be curious to see how many of the real early commits end up being happy with their school of choice!

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

Decommittimg is going to start happening more and more, on both ends. Kids and colleges should NOT be making these decisions before the end of their Junior/start of their Senior year. I would be curious to see how many of the real early commits end up being happy with their school of choice!

No school will de-commit. Think about it, if said school de-commits a kid for a better player, why would any top player ever commit to that school again for the foreseeable future? Injury or bad grades, off field issues it can happen, just talent wise? Doubtful. Interestingly, the schools who commit so early are taking all the risk. The kid can do whatever he wants. Many schools are now continuing to recruit committed kids. I believe, over time we will see a pull back on this very early committing.

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

No school will de-commit. Think about it, if said school de-commits a kid for a better player, why would any top player ever commit to that school again for the foreseeable future? Injury or bad grades, off field issues it can happen, just talent wise? Doubtful. Interestingly, the schools who commit so early are taking all the risk. The kid can do whatever he wants. Many schools are now continuing to recruit committed kids. I believe, over time we will see a pull back on this very early committing.

It is very unlikely that a school will de-commit. More likely, if they see someone else they like better, they will just continue to add to the class list and let the players react. For example, a list of 15 players for the 2017 class at a particular school would tell me that maybe someone may not see some playing time. The players will figure it out and act on their own.

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

It is very unlikely that a school will de-commit. More likely, if they see someone else they like better, they will just continue to add to the class list and let the players react. For example, a list of 15 players for the 2017 class at a particular school would tell me that maybe someone may not see some playing time. The players will figure it out and act on their own.

This is just another way of de-committing, but in not a blatant way. If this trend of early recruiting continues you will see lots of unhappy players and coaches in the future. I am sorry, you have no idea who is going to be the best 4 years from now, and while players and parents get all excited because a school wants them when they are 14 years old, it really means nothing.

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Let's be clear, what is going to happen for the big money grabbers who run the showcases and tourneys that already committed sophomores and juniors stop flocking to? Who is going to purchase film packages if their kids are committed? How will they justify all of this?

I think some of the colleges "decommiting" will be in the form of loss of aid, or inability of the coach to lean on admissions. That way the coach saves face and the parents aren't going to run around telling people Johnny was dropped because he got a crummy SAT, or didn't do well in school.

My kid is pretty close to making a decision, if he does, he will still travel with his club it will be less, our money and his time will be spent on strength and speed coaches (so he gets a chance to get on the field and stays injury free once he starts college) instead of film and hotel rooms at showcase events.

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Look at UNC's '17 commits..lots of middies and attack, good number in the '16 class as well..going to be a lot of unhappy kids on the sidelines, but, they are getting a UNC education...take the good with the bad

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
going to be a lot of unhappy kids on the sidelines, but, they are getting a UNC education...take the good with the bad

NCAA Investigation
or maybe you are taking the bad with the bad

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
going to be a lot of unhappy kids on the sidelines, but, they are getting a UNC education...take the good with the bad

NCAA Investigation

Ha, good point, I should have said a UNC diploma!

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

NCAA Investigation

Not going to matter, the NCAA just ceded a tremendous amount of power to the big 5 conferences, they will be writing there own rules going forward. It was either that or the big 5 leaving Div I and creating their own division.

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
These are some really thoughtful comments, thanks. My son is still in the recruiting process and I think his coach who has a lot of lacrosse credibility said, if you are good enough, the coaches will find a spot and money for you. If not, D3 and have fun...don't stop working. We also know one family whose kid finished his first year on the bench at UVa. I trust what they tell our family, which is coaches will blow up recruiting classes. 15 NLI's in December means that the coaches don't see it for a few early commits...they didn't grow, improve, etc. The scholarship money gets re-shuffled every year. Anyone who believes otherwise is misled. A coach can promise you 50% today and re-evaluate and make 5% later if the kid drops on the depth chart. It can be rough to be a former HS star at a UVa getting $500 a year out of politeness until you decide to accept the bench, quit or transfer. That is a reality few kids will be prepared for, and a reality no proud lacrosse Dads will be ready to accept either. Dial up the college soph kid who just bolted UNC for Towson sometime like my son did...humble pie for lots of IL ranked kids who don't play a lot or at all because they didn't develop. Almost an early commit curse now.

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
You are wrong about reshuffling money. That depends where they go. My son's scholarship can't go down only up. And we are committed 65% to big 10. You have to ask these questions!

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Another smithtown east boy commits to yale. Program on fire!

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Scholarships are year to year. Can always be changed. Stop believing everything the coac tells you. They are re-evaluated on a yearly basis.

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
These are some really thoughtful comments, thanks. My son is still in the recruiting process and I think his coach who has a lot of lacrosse credibility said, if you are good enough, the coaches will find a spot and money for you. If not, D3 and have fun...don't stop working. We also know one family whose kid finished his first year on the bench at UVa. I trust what they tell our family, which is coaches will blow up recruiting classes. 15 NLI's in December means that the coaches don't see it for a few early commits...they didn't grow, improve, etc. The scholarship money gets re-shuffled every year. Anyone who believes otherwise is misled. A coach can promise you 50% today and re-evaluate and make 5% later if the kid drops on the depth chart. It can be rough to be a former HS star at a UVa getting $500 a year out of politeness until you decide to accept the bench, quit or transfer. That is a reality few kids will be prepared for, and a reality no proud lacrosse Dads will be ready to accept either. Dial up the college soph kid who just bolted UNC for Towson sometime like my son did...humble pie for lots of IL ranked kids who don't play a lot or at all because they didn't develop. Almost an early commit curse now.

I agree, this early commit stuff is going to be a curse in the long run, trust me, if a kid is a junior or senior and they are a star (even though they were nothing in 8th/9th grade) they will surely end up on a great team and beat out early commits that fizzled out! No one knows what will happen until you get on campus and prove yourself.

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Scholarships are year to year. Can always be changed. Stop believing everything the coac tells you. They are re-evaluated on a yearly basis.

That might just be one of the dumbest comments yet, "Stop believing what your coach tells you??" Every program works a little different, you need to listen carefully. I know what was told to my son, you may have a different agreement, but my son's scholarship will not change as long as he follows the rules, attend practice, etc.

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

I agree, this early commit stuff is going to be a curse in the long run, trust me, if a kid is a junior or senior and they are a star (even though they were nothing in 8th/9th grade) they will surely end up on a great team and beat out early commits that fizzled out! No one knows what will happen until you get on campus and prove yourself.

Are we STILL saying "early commits" are BAD on a now SOPH thread?? 8 months ago wants it topic back. All of you that come on here and KNOCK "early commits" are either not recruited yet OR not in recruiting process yet (there is a difference!!)

ANYONE of you would JUMP if your kid was offered the chance to sit down in a D1 coaches office and discuss the chance for your son to got a slot on a given 2017 class slot for a D1 program. As far as 8 months ago, you would've JUMPED than also. Loads of envy & bitterness here from several of you.

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

That might just be one of the dumbest comments yet, "Stop believing what your coach tells you??" Every program works a little different, you need to listen carefully. I know what was told to my son, you may have a different agreement, but my son's scholarship will not change as long as he follows the rules, attend practice, etc.

Whatever isn't in writing, was never said. Know an ACC recruit who after his freshman year was told by the coach "we can't use you anymore". BYE. IL highly ranked kid... The coach by the way is known as "a really good guy"... I wish everyone all the best, point is, keep your eyes wide open. It's a business folks.

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Dumb statement?? Are you serious? You don't think the coach is going to tell you exactly what YOU want to hear. Your sons scholarship is renewed on a yearly basis. If the coach feels someone else is deserving, that kid will get the money. You are delusional if you think because the coach told you so your sons scholarship is safe. That is not the way it works. No matter what the coach says. Just asking: what if the kid gets there and is in way over his head lax wise, do you really think the coach is going to keep his scholarship intact? No he won't.

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Dumb statement?? Are you serious? You don't think the coach is going to tell you exactly what YOU want to hear. Your sons scholarship is renewed on a yearly basis. If the coach feels someone else is deserving, that kid will get the money. You are delusional if you think because the coach told you so your sons scholarship is safe. That is not the way it works. No matter what the coach says. Just asking: what if the kid gets there and is in way over his head lax wise, do you really think the coach is going to keep his scholarship intact? No he won't.

All I know is that what was said to us was very clear. My son is a kid who committed very early and is now much better that when he was being recruited, and getting better offers, who knows we may even ask for more or decommit. Everything will be in writing before anything is signed, I'm not at all concerned.

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

A Turtle?

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
The only sports where money is not re-shuffled every year is football and basketball. In every other sport there are not full scholarships for everyone. When coach promises your 15 year old and you something, it is always subject to change later. Today he may see the kid as a four year starter, as a HS senior that evaluation can change. What leverage do you as a parent have then? Dial up other progams that are full looking for a new deal? If some walk on showed up and made All-ACC you think coach is stuck because he told some other kid as a 15 year old he was 65%? Dream on. You whack the kid who sits down and take care of the players who are producing on the field.

A lacrosse Dad's leverage to "listen for better offers" for his committed 2017 -- besides being sleazy -- runs out when the spots are gone. I respect Starsia a lot. You get a spot now, you get a money indication now and he is transparent that the money is finalized later when they are seniors in HS. Sure beats lying to kids saying it is a four year deal. It is a four year deal if yiu don't suck, then it is a one year. I also question your intrinsic trust of what coaches tell you...the same coaches who are recruiting their rival's commits while having a full 2017 class already. Golly, if Petro picks off somebody else's #1, is it free or is he going to pull some from a kid committed to him already who he rates less now? If any of this hits a nerve, get real pal or get sad later.

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
All I know is that what was said to us was very clear. My son is a kid who committed very early and is now much better that when he was being recruited, and getting better offers, who knows we may even ask for more or decommit. Everything will be in writing before anything is signed, I'm not at all concerned. [/quote]

Dude, let me speak from first hand experience. The law of the jungle is you fight to see the field and to keep your money. My favorite day of the season was the first day when the freshman would come to the first practice and leave stunned that the nicest guy who was going to be their coach turned into someone rough who didn't care about them anymore and only wanted performance on the field.

What do you think the same coach who promised your deal said to the last three kids who commit with no money and just an admissions spot. Come here, kick some [lacrosse], start and make All America and remain a walk on for four years? Other kids as your son's position beat him down to 3rd or 4th string and NO, he does not sit there for 4 years with the money. Invest in some tissue for those tears coming soon if you believe otherwise.

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

A Turtle?

NO

Page 5 of 45 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 44 45

Link Copied to Clipboard