BOTC BOTC
The UnD1sputed Showcase (Boys & Girls) in June & the Girls LI Showcase is Open for Registration on CBLaxers.com - Don't Miss Out as 88 Players Only Accepted! | Invest for Growth - ADVERTISE with us!
BOTC GIRLS BOTC BOY BACK OF THE CAGE
BOTC GIRLS BOTC BOY MOST RECENT POSTS
Girls High School
by Anonymous -
Boys High School
by Anonymous -
BOTC GIRLS BOTC BOY Forum Statistics
Forums20
Topics3,802
Posts385,595
Members2,606
Most Online62,980
Feb 6th, 2020
BOTC GIRLS BOTC BOY FOLLOW US ON TWITTER
Previous Thread
Next Thread
New Reply
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
Re: Long Island Lacrosse League : Overdue or Just Right?
Chief Admin
Chief Admin
Originally Posted by Anonymous
Sanctioned by Who? US Lacrosse?

Nope

Like Reply Quote
BOTC GIRLS BOTC BOY BACK OF THE CAGE SPONSORS

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
PREMISE: This is a transparent league that offers divisions that are recreational (PAL-like), divisions that are more competitive, divisions with travel teams, and run by an independent.

My thoughts: It would be awesome….but it must unite the entire LI lax community and it must benefit everyone involved.

If it’s only a league for travel/elite teams, it fails to serve the LI community.

I wish this attempt occurred earlier...at least for the age groups of my children.

Now, if you are the individual who is starting this new league, please take the following scenario under consideration, as I think it pertains to many towns here on the island:

A few of our local cronies who helped ‘run the show’ have split up this community, and now almost all families are forced to look elsewhere. Some great players/families want no part of travel lax. They wish for better options. Other families felt forced to join travel lax and are now regrettably pulled into the expensive travel lax machine. They wish for better options. Other families love travel lax but do not like the recreational scenario—because the town organization won’t make A/B teams, or make it very difficult to create a select tournament team, because the cronies want to control everything. Those families wish for better options.

Unfortunately, our kids, who just want to play together with talented friends in their age group/grade, may only play together in the MS or HS seasons only. Now there's tension from the different family factions on the sidelines looking for where they fit in an imaginary pecking order, all while the kids suffer throughout the process. It’s just wrong.

With tryouts 2-3 weeks away for travel, more families from all over LI are getting sucked into the vortex, and another nail is in the coffin for those who truly wish their community could develop together, cost effectively, in a league that benefits everyone of all levels.

I truly wish this league success BUT hope it benefits everyone in future generations. I really do.

Next year is definitely too late to mend the mess here. It will take 4-5 years to to correct itself, BUT ONLY IF the new lax kindergarten families can be educated. It sucks for those of us in it. Chances are the cronies will pass the power down to younger cronies, and so on…But if the process of a new league takes 4-5 years in order to clean up the old mess, and it's a league that can benefit everyone, fantastic. It’s worth it.

Who knows, maybe it will help those towns that can't decide on A/B teams...the town organization can now have a competitive offering with tryouts, and a recreational offering (PAL). But that may open a can of worms with any by-laws of PAL:…

...Any game not on the official schedule or any game played with a NON-P.A.L. Youth Lacrosse League will be considered a NON-SANCTIONED game. The team and or community playing a non- sanctioned game will assume all responsibility and liability for its players, coaches, spectators and officials...
...NO P.A.L. Lacrosse COACH will be permitted to coach in the P.A.L. spring youth lacrosse league if he or she is coaching in any other youth lacrosse league playing with NON-SANCTIONED N.Y. State or P.A.L. RULES DURING the spring. If so, the coach in question would have to sign a disclaimer. A Team participating in another league can not enter that team in the P.A.L. as a full team. That team must be broken up. This has always been a rule of the P.A.L….

In conclusion, if the organization for ‘Your Town' PAL sticks with PAL and not this new league, communities will be broken more, because some parents or hotbeds will create a new organization to play in this new sanctioned league…great, just what we need…two sets of cronies….if you think the back stabbing and nastiness was too much already, think about the fighting over field space in the town now!

THIS LEAGUE MUST UNITE EVERYONE, OR IT WILL CREATE A RIFT MUCH LARGER THAN THE ONE THAT CURRENTLY EXISTS.

I think these guys got tired of seeing how things were run by the people handling PAL. it lead to winter leagues and closeness with officials..Just a guess on my end I don't know for sure so purely speculation on my end.

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
I like the PAL model in the Spring. I might be old fashion but I still like the PAL structure of teams playing other towns. Maybe add a PAL tournament at the end of the season based on ability to have a champion. Just a thought.

If you take away the travel kids from PAL teams what are you left with? How do towns develop lacrosse programs for the high school.

Yes a club team league would be great for the clubs and elite players...

Again I might be old fashion but I am for developing teams for the high school program and I think PAL adds to that development in the Spring. Let the travel clubs have from June to August!

PAL is not perfect but it is not bad either. Go back to 8 games and a tournament at the end of the season based on your ability and season results and have mini round robin championship.

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
What do you think if this was a one stop shop for all types of lax with:

Development Divisions
Town Divisions A/B
Travel Divisions

With the option to participate in 3 seasons...Modified Shorter Fall Season. Winter Indoor. Typical Spring but with playoffs and championship.

It could be a turnkey solution that helps develop towns, but offers local travel teams a better arena to play each other.

Like Reply Quote
Chief Admin
Chief Admin
What do you think if this was a one stop shop for all types of lax with:

Development Divisions
Town Divisions A/B
Travel Divisions

With the option to participate in 3 seasons...Modified Shorter Fall Season. Winter Indoor. Typical Spring but with playoffs and championship.

It could be a turnkey solution that helps develop towns, but offers local travel teams a better arena to play each other.

:-)

Like Reply Quote
BOTC GIRLS BOTC BOY Sponsored Links
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
It will just need a more legitimate name for the town programs and lax community to buy into. A better one that's on the site.

Long Island Just Say Lacrosse is a little soft in my opinion. If a LI league is created, they better come up with a name that is strong - just like our LI players.

It needs something like USBOXLA, MLL, NPYLL....or maybe the Long Island Metropolitan Lacrosse League - LIMLL - a division of US Lacrosse.

...with options for grade based (for towns divisions) or US Lax based rules (age based for travel). It will help assuage the current debate with the US Lax rules regarding the national 2 year age spread rule and open the doors for more NY/LI travel teams to follow suit. Then when the nation goes to 1 yr spread in years to come, it's an easy adaptation for LI/NY.

Take away the stigma. Level the playing field.

Just sayin'.

Like Reply Quote
Chief Admin
Chief Admin
Long Island Just Say Lacrosse is a little soft in my opinion. If a LI league is created, they better come up with a name that is strong - just like our LI players.

I think you'll your softness will change to hardness....you will not be dealing with an amateur. He did want to name the league, "Kick-[lacrosse] Bikers Lacrosse", but I suggested he soften it.

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
What happens when the town team of 18 girls the 4 best girls decide to plau for their yj and tg teams and 2 others decide to play for their title xi team. Now the towm team is left with 12 girls and no goalie. No what? Leave the spring to pal?

Here is my thoughts on youth town sports. Teach fundamentals and love of the game. Be apart of the local school program as a feeder program so the players can have the best possible experience in high school and girls can grow up playing together and have fun. Some times adults can feally really ruin things.

Leave pal alone. it is a good program. there is no need for an additional spring league.

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
What happens when the town team of 18 girls the 4 best girls decide to plau for their yj and tg teams and 2 others decide to play for their title xi team. Now the towm team is left with 12 girls and no goalie. No what? Leave the spring to pal?

Here is my thoughts on youth town sports. Teach fundamentals and love of the game. Be apart of the local school program as a feeder program so the players can have the best possible experience in high school and girls can grow up playing together and have fun. Some times adults can feally really ruin things.

Leave pal alone. it is a good program. there is no need for an additional spring league.

PAL is a waste of time

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

PAL is a waste of time

Only because it is so poorly run. But I agree I have 2022er and only wants to play travel.

Like Reply Quote
BOTC GIRLS BOTC BOY Sponsored Links
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

PAL is a waste of time

At least they now allow for an A division in 5th and 6th grades. Of course you must live in a town whose PAL director will allow the teams to be split up as A and B teams in those grades as well. Luckily our town allows it and it and we had a league with the A teams from Manhasset, C.S.H., Massapequa, Northport, Garden City, S.W.R. etc. It was really good competition for the teams.

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Supply and Demand people... Long Island parents are shelling out 10-20 thousand dollars or more per kid on travel lacrosse. Travel teams are now starting in first grade. Money is no object to parents so for those who say let them play with their friends in Pal why are you driving to Maryland to play an absolutely meaningless lacrosse game on the weekend? He is going to make a fortune!!!

The only problem I see is that there are zero age rules in lacrosse, Kids play up at the big tournaments, kids are held back and play down just to win tournaments. I call it cheating but lacrosse crazies don't see it that way. Structured rosters with picture playing cards is going to be the #1 challenge.

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

Maybe it will be set up with games on different days of the week. Like baseball. Maybe there will be a moratorium on Sunday...a league that respects at least one day of family time and rest for the kids.

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Any updates for this league?

Like Reply Quote
Chief Admin
Chief Admin

There should have been...let me get back on the guy's case!!

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

PAL is a waste of time

Waste of time? It gives opportunity to all and also teaches your little superstar how to be a part of a team with different skill levels, which is something he/she will run into over and over again in life. There are good players that never learn that lesson and others that actually make their teams better. Which one do you want your player to be?

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
It would be great if the travel teams would settle for June to August, but they see too much money to be made.

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Originally Posted by Larry Miller

Any luck contacting the "guy" smile

Like Reply Quote
Back of THE CAGE
Back of THE CAGE

Did they say when more information will start coming out on this new league? Or are they going to wait until Spring and hope everyone jumps on board?

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
LI Just Say Lacrosse...Wow, this guy really does not like the LI Junior Soccer League ([lacrosse]) - now he is trying to take their name after setting up a competing Youth Soccer league

Like Reply Quote
Chief Admin
Chief Admin
LI Just Say Lacrosse...Wow, this guy really does not like the LI Junior Soccer League ([lacrosse]) - now he is trying to take their name after setting up a competing Youth Soccer league

Hey, Cantor Fitzgerald, are stupid or do you just have a reading comprehension problem? Where do you see a anyone is setting up a competitive SOCCER league? I also point out that I own and have always owned [lacrosse].com, and I am free to do with it as I wish, including selling it or leasing it out. If it was that important to the Long Island Junior Soccer League they would have contacted me....now, if want to start an issue about this I am more than willing to take you on, but you, being a punk and posting anonymously tells me exactly what I am dealing with smile

As far as trying to take the name, you need to be very clear I own the name [lacrosse].com. One can not take what one owns...

LONG ISLAND JUST SAY LACROSSE ([lacrosse]) information will be forthcoming when the people whose league it is decides when to go public.

And just so we are clear, neither BOTC or myself have any interest in this league whatsoever....now go and do something constructive with yourself in the privacy of your bathroom!!

Like Reply Quote
Chief Admin
Chief Admin
Originally Posted by acblax

Did they say when more information will start coming out on this new league? Or are they going to wait until Spring and hope everyone jumps on board?

My understanding is that an email contact has been set up and right after the Jewish New Year (Rosh Hashanah) some of LI Lax clubs will be invited to an exploratory meeting.

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Originally Posted by acblax

My understanding is that an email contact has been set up and right after the Jewish New Year (Rosh Hashanah) some of LI Lax clubs will be invited to an exploratory meeting.

Will this league be for girls also?

Like Reply Quote
Chief Admin
Chief Admin
The league will be made of clubs and teams. In my world boys and girls are equal. I'm 100% confident that girls will be as involved as the boys.

As I mentioned above. I am just a messenger. I'm as interested as all of you to find out how this will work.

Like Reply Quote
Chief Admin
Chief Admin
For those of you interested in finding out more about how this league expects to work within the lacrosse community you are invited to contact Gary Grossman at ggrossman@justsaylacrosse.com

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Oh boy and now its official , if Gary is running its going to be big and successful.

One of the possible unintended consequences is that this will even further stress soccer teams playing for Gary as most younger kids are playing both sports. Blowing off PAL games is one thing, blowing off a real travel lacrosse league is something else.

Like Reply Quote
Back of THE CAGE
Back of THE CAGE
Hey Larry

I had a great conversation with Gary as it relates to rolling Connecticut teams in as well. As you are probably aware, CONNY has remained static as far as its mission and so as with LI there is a lack of clarity and organization around a true ADM (American Development Model) for Lax players up thru HS.

Someone posted about the need for a tiered approach. In Connecticut, unless you are from lower Fairfield (Greenwich, Darien, New Canaan, Ridgefield, Wilton, there are a a few others), the lack of true lax culture in your town dictates the very casual approach to the sport.

We have Fall and Summer and do play Box in the Winter - but it is unfortunate that kids who really play the sport have to go backwards and spent 3.5 months in a play date setting with kids that do not work on the game, have an IQ or can even catch and throw on a consistent basis.

The idea's time has come - and I want to thank you guys for jump starting some much needed rational thinking.

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Is there anything new to report???

Like Reply Quote
Chief Admin
Chief Admin
I haven't heard anything, but you may want to contact Gary and see what he is to smile

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Guess this was all just a rumor to shake things up

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Guess this was all just a rumor to shake things up

Gary didn't start his soccer league overnight and now has a good chunk of the team pie. I am sure he is doing his homework but in the back of his mind he has to be thinking that this could possibly hurt his soccer league with tons of conflicts which would [lacrosse] off existing coaches.

Like Reply Quote
Chief Admin
Chief Admin
Part one of your post is accurate. Part two is opinion and I can tell you that you are way off base. There is no connection between soccer and lacrosse that I have ever seen.

Figuring out and understanding the local lacrosse landscape, and then quietly meeting with club owners and town teams, Gary has to figure out what works best for you, the lacrosse community.

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Many soccer teams limp through the spring with PAL lacrosse conflicts until travel lacrosse kicks in in June. If there is a formal Lacrosse travel league that takes the place of the recreational PAL tough choices will have to be made on which game to go to when there is a conflict. Our soccer team has about 70% of the kids playing both sports

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Many soccer teams limp through the spring with PAL lacrosse conflicts until travel lacrosse kicks in in June. If there is a formal Lacrosse travel league that takes the place of the recreational PAL tough choices will have to be made on which game to go to when there is a conflict. Our soccer team has about 70% of the kids playing both sports

Soccer should be a FALL sport anyway! It's the only sport that requires you to play two season. I never understood that. Stick with fall, and the problem is solved.

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

Soccer should be a FALL sport anyway! It's the only sport that requires you to play two season. I never understood that. Stick with fall, and the problem is solved.
College actually looking at going to both fall and spring with a continuing season.... sorry

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

College actually looking at going to both fall and spring with a continuing season.... sorry

how can the NCAA allow that - it is student athlete. Really!

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

That's the stupidest thing I've ever heard! It's bad enough it happens with the youth teams!!

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

That's the stupidest thing I've ever heard! It's bad enough it happens with the youth teams!!

Soccer is for the kids that get cut from football

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
stop with the soccer league should only play in fall. lacrosse is played every month of the year, and not just one game a weekend. There are leagues in the summer, winter, spring and fall, day and night… and on top of these leagues there are tournaments every weekend, one and two dayers, in and out of state … and the laxers pay their clubs handsomely to play in them. The number of lax games the kids play far exceeds the number of soccer games played in both seasons combined.
In college the lax teams play fall ball before their spring season. It never ends.

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
stop with the soccer league should only play in fall. lacrosse is played every month of the year, and not just one game a weekend. There are leagues in the summer, winter, spring and fall, day and night… and on top of these leagues there are tournaments every weekend, one and two dayers, in and out of state … and the laxers pay their clubs handsomely to play in them. The number of lax games the kids play far exceeds the number of soccer games played in both seasons combined.
In college the lax teams play fall ball before their spring season. It never ends.

You missed the point. Kids can play lacrosse in just the SPRING, or just the SUMMER, if they want. Everything else is optional. Travel soccer season is fall AND spring. Are there any other sports that require you to play TWO seasons?

Like Reply Quote
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
Quick Reply

Options
HTML is disabled
UBBCode is enabled
CAPTCHA Verification

Link Copied to Clipboard