BOTC BOTC
The UnD1sputed Showcase (Boys & Girls) in June & the Girls LI Showcase is Open for Registration on CBLaxers.com - Don't Miss Out as 88 Players Only Accepted! | Invest for Growth - ADVERTISE with us!
BOTC GIRLS BOTC BOY BACK OF THE CAGE
BOTC GIRLS BOTC BOY MOST RECENT POSTS
Girls High School
by Anonymous -
Boys High School
by Anonymous -
BOTC GIRLS BOTC BOY Forum Statistics
Forums20
Topics3,802
Posts385,586
Members2,606
Most Online62,980
Feb 6th, 2020
BOTC GIRLS BOTC BOY FOLLOW US ON TWITTER
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 1 of 45 1 2 3 44 45
Boys 2017 Fall 2014/Summer 2015
Chief Admin
OP Offline
Chief Admin
BOTC is opening our Fall 2014 through Summer 2015 thread covering the Boys 2017 age group.

BOTC GIRLS BOTC BOY BACK OF THE CAGE SPONSORS

Re: Boys 2017 Fall 2014/Summer 2015
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Here's to the most insane dads on STRONG ISLAND. Keep complaining about the ages of other kids across the United States!

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Originally Posted by Anonymous
Here's to the most insane dads on STRONG ISLAND. Keep complaining about the ages of other kids across the United States!

Ha ha. Nice opening salvo. Well, here's to keeping the system accountable and honest.

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Latest Duke commit is a 2017 with a Bday of January 1996. No complaining here but that's just outright absurd. He will be 18 in January and my son hasn't turned 15 yet. You see nothing wrong with this Mr. Maryland dad?

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Latest Duke commit is a 2017 with a Bday of January 1996. No complaining here but that's just outright absurd. He will be 18 in January and my son hasn't turned 15 yet. You see nothing wrong with this Mr. Maryland dad?

That's laughable. I mean good for the kid going to Duke, but lots of kids get into Duke every year without getting left back 2/3 years. I hope he can keep up academically if he needed all those years to close the gap with his own peers.

BOTC GIRLS BOTC BOY Sponsored Links
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

As a MD Dad with a 2017 who just turned 15 two months ago, I agree in principle. We can spend another 6 months on a thread complaining about it to no avail. Here is one thing I would say. My son wanted to be on the varsity field as a 9th grader, and he made it. They all want that, which means getting out there with kids who are seniors at least 3 years older. But for club play many this holy alliance they need to be in the same 12 month window. I'm fine with that. So why doesn't US lacrosse say that club play must be age based? Canadian box is. U-17, U-16, etc. That still does nothing to fix there being no rule against 16-18 year old HS freshman players. I wonder why the college coaches do not see a 16-17 year old freshman as "soft" or "asterisk" if after some diligence I learned that he did 8th grade over and/or 9th grade over to get over the hump to be recruited. That weakness and coping never leaves a kid I think...a lot of these reclassified kids will feel all alone without their Dad and club owner fixing it every time it didn't go great for them.

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Well said!!!

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
LI dad that couldn't agree more, when they get to JV and Varsity age is out the window, and size, best way to beat a large D, move the ball, quick passes.

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
You people are crazy... My son has told me that he wants to go to the best college possible academically and wants to play club, and love every second of it. d1 lacrosse is a job and i applaud all those who do it. Once you graduate, nobody cares where you played or how many goals you scored, the bottom line is you have to get a job. However I do respect d1 athletes greatly

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

As a MD Dad with a 2017 who just turned 15 two months ago, I agree in principle. We can spend another 6 months on a thread complaining about it to no avail. Here is one thing I would say. My son wanted to be on the varsity field as a 9th grader, and he made it. They all want that, which means getting out there with kids who are seniors at least 3 years older. But for club play many this holy alliance they need to be in the same 12 month window. I'm fine with that. So why doesn't US lacrosse say that club play must be age based? Canadian box is. U-17, U-16, etc. That still does nothing to fix there being no rule against 16-18 year old HS freshman players. I wonder why the college coaches do not see a 16-17 year old freshman as "soft" or "asterisk" if after some diligence I learned that he did 8th grade over and/or 9th grade over to get over the hump to be recruited. That weakness and coping never leaves a kid I think...a lot of these reclassified kids will feel all alone without their Dad and club owner fixing it every time it didn't go great for them.

There is no way you are from MD with that comment!!!'

BOTC GIRLS BOTC BOY Sponsored Links
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

There is no way you are from MD with that comment!!!'

We are from Maryland, and believe me the kids who play straight up are in the minority but are proud to not be "wimp-peats" as they like to call their peers who reclassified for lacrosse.

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Villanova Freshman Class: Take a look at the birthdates.

http://www.laxpower.com/laxnews/news.php?story=40739

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

That's laughable. I mean good for the kid going to Duke, but lots of kids get into Duke every year without getting left back 2/3 years. I hope he can keep up academically if he needed all those years to close the gap with his own peers.

Is he from TX, Canada, DC or LI?

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Yeah some of the out of state ny kids are a year older.

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

They all look to be on the older side with quite a few entering as 19 year olds.

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

All this does is lend credit to holding back your son. Especially if under sized to compete with those a year younger.

Villanova is on my 2019 sons wish list; maybe it is a serious consideration.

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
The number of transfers in D1 suggests that early recruiting led kids to schools not best for them. Must be close to half a dozen kids leaving or transfering to Maryland alone. Never seen as many kids who played a lot as freshmen in college flipping to other programs. Used to be small number of kids disgruntled over PT or who got a reality check they would not see the field at a big time program. This is different...Looks like MLB at the trade deadline.

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
The number of transfers in D1 suggests that early recruiting led kids to schools not best for them. Must be close to half a dozen kids leaving or transfering to Maryland alone. Never seen as many kids who played a lot as freshmen in college flipping to other programs. Used to be small number of kids disgruntled over PT or who got a reality check they would not see the field at a big time program. This is different...Looks like MLB at the trade deadline.

I am curious how is this possible without ramifications (losing a year of eligibility). Then I wonder, they aren't getting a full ride so why should a school hold you hostage if they aren't giving you a full ride?

What are the drawbacks? What are the rules? are the coaches just releasing the players?

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Coaches are giving releases.

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Think of life as if it is one hundred marbles. In my opinion, lacrosse is worth only about 2, maybe 3 marbles. Who the heck cares if your son is or isn`t going to college to play lacrosse. Set priorities in life, and I hope* that lacrosse is at the bottom of your list.

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Think of life as if it is one hundred marbles. In my opinion, lacrosse is worth only about 2, maybe 3 marbles. Who the heck cares if your son is or isn`t going to college to play lacrosse. Set priorities in life, and I hope* that lacrosse is at the bottom of your list.

Lacrosse is a vehicle you can use to get your son into a school he might not have made into on grades alone. Additionally, any of us that may have played a sport at the collegiate level knows what a special experience it is. I personally would love my son to be able to experience playing a sport at that level and getting the most of his college years, but by no means is it the end all be all of our lives. Its all about setting your son up to be successful in life after school. Lacrosse is just one way to help him on his way

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Which teams will have best opportunity to help my son get recruited? He has always played with town and is a good player. It is time to pick a travel team that will be good for recruiting if he makes the team.

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
I don't think they are horribly old, several of the 1995s are December birthdays, actually I am surprised many are younger 18s.

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
I don't think they are horribly old, several of the 1995s are December birthdays, actually I am surprised many are younger 18s.

In my district December 1 is the cutoff, the December kids are in the correct grade. The other 1995 kids are held back. The PA, MA and MD kids are much older than the NY kids.

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

In my district December 1 is the cutoff, the December kids are in the correct grade. The other 1995 kids are held back. The PA, MA and MD kids are much older than the NY kids.

So I just looked at a school that shows birth year and month and wow!! I'm new to this whole age thing and my eyes are wide open. UNC has almost no player age appropriate. My guess is the bigger the lax school, the older the kids are. And I am also noticing more and more commitments are being phrased "do a pg yr and you're mine". Interesting.

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

FYI, in PA the cutoff for school is August 31, and MANY pre-K programs suggest holding back kids (especially boys) with summer birthdays, not for sports reason but for academic reasons. So naturally, many PA kids will be "older" that is how our system works

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

And that's just Villanova. Not that Villanova is a bad lax school but let's face it, it's no ACC school. I bet kids are way older at the better lax schools.

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

So I just looked at a school that shows birth year and month and wow!! I'm new to this whole age thing and my eyes are wide open. UNC has almost no player age appropriate. My guess is the bigger the lax school, the older the kids are. And I am also noticing more and more commitments are being phrased "do a pg yr and you're mine". Interesting. [/quote]

That is pretty dumb. Why not tell the kid to come to UNC and pay own way for a red shirt first year, then get the 4 year grant in-aid for lacrosse. Don't get the love affair with one more year of prep school lacrosse. Being in a program like UNC for a year does more and gets Breschi what he wanted which is a kid one year older.

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
well maybe academically they are not up to standard admission criteria, I know one West Point lacrosse kid did not have the SAT scores nor grades, did the one year post grad due to the grades/scores.

NCAA qualifying grade/SAT are pretty pathetic, but if the kid does not have the qualifying grades/SAT scores it maybe suggested to do PG year to keep the commit.

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
well maybe academically they are not up to standard admission criteria, I know one West Point lacrosse kid did not have the SAT scores nor grades, did the one year post grad due to the grades/scores.

NCAA qualifying grade/SAT are pretty pathetic, but if the kid does not have the qualifying grades/SAT scores it maybe suggested to do PG year to keep the commit.

West Point has admissions criteria that are very high. UNC and most other scholarship lacrosse schools do not. When a kid offers to do a PG year or it is suggested, that is just a different version of redshirting. A kid who is not making C average in high school is not being recruited by even the UNCs anyways.

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
So it boils down to paying 50K-60K for a post grad year to play at UNC for 4 years for at most 25% off of tuition.

Lacrosse parents have lost their minds. Someone is making serious coin off of them.

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
So it boils down to paying 50K-60K for a post grad year to play at UNC for 4 years for at most 25% off of tuition.

Lacrosse parents have lost their minds. Someone is making serious coin off of them.

No players get 25% off of tuition to play lax. It's more like 8% for the great players.

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

West Point has admissions criteria that are very high. UNC and most other scholarship lacrosse schools do not. When a kid offers to do a PG year or it is suggested, that is just a different version of redshirting. A kid who is not making C average in high school is not being recruited by even the UNCs anyways.

Not to mention all the military work the WP kids would have to do. They go from boys to men there pretty fast, I can tell you that!

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

No players get 25% off of tuition to play lax. It's more like 8% for the great players.

They are doing PG so they can get a spot at UNC. Without the lax wouldn't be getting in

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

So I just looked at a school that shows birth year and month and wow!! I'm new to this whole age thing and my eyes are wide open. UNC has almost no player age appropriate. My guess is the bigger the lax school, the older the kids are. And I am also noticing more and more commitments are being phrased "do a pg yr and you're mine". Interesting.

That is pretty dumb. Why not tell the kid to come to UNC and pay own way for a red shirt first year, then get the 4 year grant in-aid for lacrosse. Don't get the love affair with one more year of prep school lacrosse. Being in a program like UNC for a year does more and gets Breschi what he wanted which is a kid one year older. [/quote]

Talk about dumb. The point of asking potential kid to do pg is so the d1 lax coach doesn't use up a precious spot on a kid that is too young compares to the rest of that class and team for that matter.

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

You are misinformed. I know a kid that was offered a big chunk of athletic scholarship this year at a high level school. Maybe not all spots get $$ but the top 4 or 5 usually get min 25%

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

They are doing PG so they can get a spot at UNC. Without the lax wouldn't be getting in

My son got 70% of total at a top 30 school. Just sayin. He was also offered a full ride at a less presidio us but also very good school that he turned down.

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

Not to mention all the military work the WP kids would have to do. They go from boys to men there pretty fast, I can tell you that!

WP is free plus an excellent start in life. Nothing against any other school mentioned but there is a payoff for the service academies if you son is willing and able. I think most have a prep school affiliated though, and they aren't 60K.

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

WP is free plus an excellent start in life. Nothing against any other school mentioned but there is a payoff for the service academies if you son is willing and able. I think most have a prep school affiliated though, and they aren't 60K.

Well, I know all about west point, have family there. They have their own "pg" school on site, funded by taxpayers. The academy is very tough. Not the "college life" most boys have in mind. If you are the right type of kid, it's the best. Free education at a top institution plus you come out with 200g in bank and a job . Not too shabby. Campus beautiful too!

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

Many service academy athletes do a year at the Prep School - NAPS (Naval Academy Prep) or USMAPS (West Point Prep) It's free and it gets them acclimated to what they can expect as a midshipman or a cadet. It also prepares them academically if they might need some help in that area. Helps as an athlete too.

Page 1 of 45 1 2 3 44 45

Link Copied to Clipboard