BOTC BOTC
The UnD1sputed Showcase (Boys & Girls) in June & the Girls LI Showcase is Open for Registration on CBLaxers.com - Don't Miss Out as 88 Players Only Accepted! | Invest for Growth - ADVERTISE with us!
BOTC GIRLS BOTC BOY BACK OF THE CAGE
BOTC GIRLS BOTC BOY MOST RECENT POSTS
Boys High School Lax
by Anonymous -
BOTC GIRLS BOTC BOY Forum Statistics
Forums20
Topics3,814
Posts387,700
Members2,608
Most Online62,980
Feb 6th, 2020
BOTC GIRLS BOTC BOY FOLLOW US ON TWITTER
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 64 of 70 1 2 62 63 64 65 66 69 70
Re: Boys 2017 Fall 2013/Summer 2014
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Originally Posted by Anonymous
The bottom line is how in the world does a 17 yr old get to call himself a 2017? It matters at these individual showcases. When a 17yr old can call himself a freshman theres something really wrong.

This article sums it up pretty nicely

http://deadspin.com/my-father-happens-to-be-from-jamaica-and-he-ran-high-sc-1570498629

Why is lacrosse not like elite club soccer? Soccer is all age based. Girls playing U-16, U-17 can be in odd school years as holdbacks. Nobody in soccer seems confused if they are recruiting a specific U16 kid who is a 2017 or a 2016 at a tournament. Do we have a confidence problem that NCAA lacrosse coaches can't read the school year from a tournament roster sheet?

This is the same system used by hockey USA. Lacrosse needs to be age based 16u is 98 under, 99 is 15 under you can always play up but not down. It would even the system for all while giving the better players the opportunity to play up,if their ability allows it. Using graduation year makes for some shady moves and each state has different dates as cutoffs for school. Most Long Island schools use 12/1 as the date. But birthdate is your birthdate and if you want to change that give it a try.

BOTC GIRLS BOTC BOY BACK OF THE CAGE SPONSORS

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
The coaches don't seem to care to see through the reclassifying game. It stinks on a whole bunch of levels, but the truth is that all the coaches care about is your graduation year, period, end of story.

My son's 2017 team now has four committed players, and another two who are close. 5 of the 6 should be 2016's, and I can promise you none of the college coaches care.

This is becoming as much about simple supply and demand at the top end of the college food chain as it is about trying to game the system.

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Well said.
Fast forward 10 years in the future (when lax is all over) to get a better idea if all the system gaming, did more harm, than help...

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
The coaches don't seem to care to see through the reclassifying game. It stinks on a whole bunch of levels, but the truth is that all the coaches care about is your graduation year, period, end of story.

My son's 2017 team now has four committed players, and another two who are close. 5 of the 6 should be 2016's, and I can promise you none of the college coaches care.

This is becoming as much about simple supply and demand at the top end of the college food chain as it is about trying to game the system.

The coaches do care. There is little scholarship money in lacrosse to go around, and they don't want to give it out in 5 year pieces with a redshirt year. So they'd like for you the dopey lacrosse parent to pay for a redshirt year before they go to college. Seems to be working out well for them. Lacrosse parents are idiots. You're chasing $5,000 to $10,000 in scholarship money at colleges running over $40,000 up over $60,000 a year. If you need the money for your kid to go to college, you're likely to have same or better luck with the financial aid office.

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

I agree coaches don't care. Look at the Turtles, they are best 2017 team and I hear have the most D1 commits (11 or 12) but I'm sure they are all held back.

BOTC GIRLS BOTC BOY Sponsored Links
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Dear Duke Daddy,
Your son has no accomplished YOUR main goal. He repeated a grade so he could be a better athlete and commit to a school. Now, get the [lacrosse] of this site!

Calm down Joey Buttafuoco

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

I agree coaches don't care. Look at the Turtles, they are best 2017 team and I hear have the most D1 commits (11 or 12) but I'm sure they are all held back.

Nice Try!

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

Not really true at all. Out of the 9 turtles who are D1 commits, maybe 2 of them are held back.

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

Not really true at all. Out of the 9 turtles who are D1 commits, maybe 2 of them are held back.

If the rules for school based lacrosse say this is acceptable and the parents are ok with holding back their children so be it. They are doing nothing against the rules. Good for any student athlete who gets a commitment to any college d1, d2...........

With that said the club lacrosse should apply rules based on birth date. Players can play their birthdate and up not down. Would be a huge boost to club lacrosse and increase a more even playing field in tournaments. But once again if the rules aren't broken stop complaining. Your child as does mine has a choice play or don't play. To be clear also my son has no commit but interest from a few schools based on his athletics and grades. I wish everyone could play in college it is a great experience and a chance to make life long friends.

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
I'll probably catch a lot of flack for this, but here it goes anyway. My son of his own accord ( i know many of you won't believe it, but oh well) has pretty much decided he wants to reclassify.

He's a 2017 on a top club team, but missed most of his high school season, started as a freshmen on a mediocre team, and has had a lower leg injury that has kept him out of most of his summer tournaments. He had an invite to Jake Reed and couldn't play and the only summer tournament he played in was a local event with no exposure so no colleges have seen him play since last fall. He is a semi-late bloomer who wasn't physically big enough (plays close and pole) to be a candidate for early recruiting, but he is a young 2017 and is now 6' 2" and still growing.

He's gotten initial interest from a couple of Patriot League schools, and reclass or not has a great shot at one of them, but in a perfect world he wanted to have all of the available options on the table that are the right academic and athletic fits.

His club coach has been advocating on his behalf anyway, but understandably college coaches want to at least see current video which he doesn't have and better yet see him play which probably won't happen this summer.

Not looking for a shoulder to cry on, and sometimes things aren't fair and you have to deal with the cards that you have been dealt. I think he should plug away through at least the fall season, and hopefully he'll be healthy enough to play at a high level and then make a decision.

The narrowing of the window of opportunity IMO is the worst thing with the early recruiting and early committing. It will be an interesting decision and not sure how I feel about it, but as an earlier poster said it isn't breaking any rules, it sure seems like at least a 1/3 to a 1/2 of the commits so far reclassed or were held back at some point.

BOTC GIRLS BOTC BOY Sponsored Links
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
I'll probably catch a lot of flack for this, but here it goes anyway. My son of his own accord ( i know many of you won't believe it, but oh well) has pretty much decided he wants to reclassify.

He's a 2017 on a top club team, but missed most of his high school season, started as a freshmen on a mediocre team, and has had a lower leg injury that has kept him out of most of his summer tournaments. He had an invite to Jake Reed and couldn't play and the only summer tournament he played in was a local event with no exposure so no colleges have seen him play since last fall. He is a semi-late bloomer who wasn't physically big enough (plays close and pole) to be a candidate for early recruiting, but he is a young 2017 and is now 6' 2" and still growing.

He's gotten initial interest from a couple of Patriot League schools, and reclass or not has a great shot at one of them, but in a perfect world he wanted to have all of the available options on the table that are the right academic and athletic fits.

His club coach has been advocating on his behalf anyway, but understandably college coaches want to at least see current video which he doesn't have and better yet see him play which probably won't happen this summer.

Not looking for a shoulder to cry on, and sometimes things aren't fair and you have to deal with the cards that you have been dealt. I think he should plug away through at least the fall season, and hopefully he'll be healthy enough to play at a high level and then make a decision.

The narrowing of the window of opportunity IMO is the worst thing with the early recruiting and early committing. It will be an interesting decision and not sure how I feel about it, but as an earlier poster said it isn't breaking any rules, it sure seems like at least a 1/3 to a 1/2 of the commits so far reclassed or were held back at some point.

Sounds reasonable given the injury. So, how are you going to go about reclassifying him? Obviously he has to go to a private school probably off Island. Curious about the plan.

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

The coaches do care. There is little scholarship money in lacrosse to go around, and they don't want to give it out in 5 year pieces with a redshirt year. So they'd like for you the dopey lacrosse parent to pay for a redshirt year before they go to college. Seems to be working out well for them. Lacrosse parents are idiots. You're chasing $5,000 to $10,000 in scholarship money at colleges running over $40,000 up over $60,000 a year. If you need the money for your kid to go to college, you're likely to have same or better luck with the financial aid office.

You're showing you're ignorance if you're talking about scholarship $$. It's all about getting into a college you're son may not get into otherwise. Way more valuable then scholarship money IMHO.

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
If your son is 6'2 and still growing have him play football, 25 man recruiting roster per year, if he is academically qualified for those schools, at 6'2" way better chance to score a scholarship in football.

WAYYYY easier to get money for playing football

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

What would be you rationale to the school? Did he pass all his classes? How much would holding back an academically sound ninth grade student benefit him for future studies? He still needs to be prepared academically. Then in ninth grade his friends would still be moving on AND he would still be playing the same level at high school. I know that a move like this in school is not considered reclassifying but retaining and public schools do not support this and you would need to go to an independent impartial hearing to prove your son needs to be retained for academic reasons. Or you can move to a private school where they don't care as long as you can pay the tuition and pass the classes. Your reason is your own and they will allow for it.

In the long term what is the real benefit of holding him back in school. You are not reclassifying but retaining. Is the scholarship worth it when it seems like he will be getting interest anyway?

Just for the sake of the jealousy comments my son has not committed yet but has a few choices also and he hopes to commit soon if he decides he would rather play lacrosse than his other sport.

Good luck.

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

Nice Try!

So will all the turtles be committed by next summer?

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
National 175 individual showcase yesterday was well ran, with ton of college coaches. Most of them bailed when the rain picked up but most of the teams had a good game in front of about 12-15 d1 coaches.

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

What would be you rationale to the school? Did he pass all his classes? How much would holding back an academically sound ninth grade student benefit him for future studies? He still needs to be prepared academically. Then in ninth grade his friends would still be moving on AND he would still be playing the same level at high school. I know that a move like this in school is not considered reclassifying but retaining and public schools do not support this and you would need to go to an independent impartial hearing to prove your son needs to be retained for academic reasons. Or you can move to a private school where they don't care as long as you can pay the tuition and pass the classes. Your reason is your own and they will allow for it.

In the long term what is the real benefit of holding him back in school. You are not reclassifying but retaining. Is the scholarship worth it when it seems like he will be getting interest anyway?

Just for the sake of the jealousy comments my son has not committed yet but has a few choices also and he hopes to commit soon if he decides he would rather play lacrosse than his other sport.

Good luck.

The only reason to reclassify would be to reset his year group because of losing a year. Even if he has the ability to play at a top school, if the public lists are correct there are probably only 2-3 school that are full or close to be being full at his position.

The only thing he/we would be committing to is if the right school came along he would commit to doing a PG year somewhere so he would continue with his 2017 group, but as far as "recruiting" is concerned the schools would consider him to be a 2018.

I am not wild about the idea, but we'll be meeting with his coaches to discuss.

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

Good luck.

The only reason to reclassify would be to reset his year group because of losing a year. Even if he has the ability to play at a top school, if the public lists are correct there are probably only 2-3 school that are full or close to be being full at his position.

The only thing he/we would be committing to is if the right school came along he would commit to doing a PG year somewhere so he would continue with his 2017 group, but as far as "recruiting" is concerned the schools would consider him to be a 2018.

I am not wild about the idea, but we'll be meeting with his coaches to discuss.

So sick of this "held back" topic. Enough. If someone wants to hold back their kid than great, if not than thats great also.

FACT: 8 of the 15 2017 commits from LI are NOT held back. If your kid is a hard worker and has talent there is no reason to hold back your kid for lacrosse reason, these current boys have proved that as 2017's.

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
You are not reclassifying you are having your son retained to play a sport in college with no real possible future after college in that sport. The fact this happens at such a rate is both alarming and says a tremendous amount about the lacrosse culture. If you can't be seen or stand out at your given graduation year just make a case for retention and have your child repeat an academic year in high school. It is truly sad.

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Looks Like
Dukes VS Express and Outlaws VS True Blue in Semi's at Best of best

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

Turtles are at 10 committed,

3 Hopkins
1 UNC
1 Fairfield
2 Harvard
1 Bucknell
1 Duke
1 Maryland

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
We were at a tourney in Denver where a player on the 3D 2017 committed as a 2016 a week or so later. Hear he is a rising Junior. Apparently you can just claim anything.

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Whatever happened to the 2017 fl$. The best travel team out there

Not hearing anythin about them or the kids. Guess no one is committing to the next level? 1

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Who else has committed for 2017

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Who else has committed for 2017
We were at a tourney in Denver where a player on the 3D 2017 committed as a 2016 a week or so later. Hear he is a rising Junior. Apparently you can just claim anything.

Thats weak.

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

3 Hopkins
1 UNC
1 Fairfield
2 Harvard
1 Bucknell
1 Duke
1 Maryland

Plus the player who committed to Virginia THEN left the Turtles and the 91 Defenseman who played for the Turtles and is now commited to the Process at Penn.

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
One just committed last week, moron.

Not hearing anythin about them or the kids. Guess no one is committing to the next level? 1

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

3 Hopkins
1 UNC
1 Fairfield
2 Harvard
1 Bucknell
1 Duke
1 Maryland

Plus the player who committed to Virginia THEN left the Turtles and the 91 Defenseman who played for the Turtles and is now commited to the Process at Penn.

Who cares about kids who left, there commitments have NOTHING to do with the Turtles, please stop trying to take credit, it's getting old! My question is :

How many Turtles excelled on their varsity teams? Only a small number as I see it, please correct me if wrong.

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
One just committed last week, moron.

Just one?

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Ouchy only 1? Moron? Angry bird

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

3 Hopkins
1 UNC
1 Fairfield
2 Harvard
1 Bucknell
1 Duke
1 Maryland

Harvard is now permitting public verbals for rising sophs? It was a big no-no last year...apparently they had 6 or more non-public verbals in 2016 class. I actually don't see a commit list for Harvard 2016s where I looked. Not doubting it, but are the rules that there are no rules for 2017s and up?

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
No true - most bailed in afternoon as rain picked up. running a showcase on the 4th is strange at best

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Big turnout for Maverick Showtime today. I noticed most of the 2017 verbals are participating in this camp, where most skipped Jake Reed.

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Big turnout for Maverick Showtime today. I noticed most of the 2017 verbals are participating in this camp, where most skipped Jake Reed.

My son did neither but went to the Adrenaline BlackCard. Why do you think that is to have Maverik retaining the top kids committed or not, and less of a show up at JR? My guess would be $$. BlackCard was very decent at a very reasonable cost with no frills and drama. One day event, run ragged and go home. It was well run and well attended by coaches. JR just strikes me as too expensive a hit and run now...multiple sessions, travel and boarding costs for you and the kid for days, etc. Not to say JR is not top flight competition and coaches watching, but I am guessing families with a committed kid are looking at a practical investment and not a $750 to get looks they don't need event.

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
What's the rationale of going to a showcase if you are already committed?

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Guess all Express(2017 Terps) kids at Showtime
They got 22nd seed out of 22 teams at legacey

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

Most cases you were invited and paid up before the commit. Its always good to show the coach on the sideline that he made the right selection. Just because someone is committed doesn't mean you take your foot off the gas. Need to get better every day and what better opportunity to play against high level talent than Maverick? Not about $$$ at this point...basically you are "all in" and might as well keep going.

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Keep getting better playing the best talent in your class. Show your coach, who will be there at showcase events, that he made the right choice. A verbal is that, a verbal. There is always someone chasing the same spot. There is nothing to say that a coach won't take another verbal for a position and have the players fight it out for the playing time. What does he have to lose?

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

Most cases you were invited and paid up before the commit. Its always good to show the coach on the sideline that he made the right selection. Just because someone is committed doesn't mean you take your foot off the gas. Need to get better every day and what better opportunity to play against high level talent than Maverick? Not about $$$ at this point...basically you are "all in" and might as well keep going.

You are forgetting another important reason....Rankings.
This fall the best boys will be ranked by IL. They all want to be on that list. Going to a competitive showcase, instead of hiding after you commit, will help establish the pecking order.

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
You are forgetting another important reason....Rankings.
This fall the best boys will be ranked by IL. They all want to be on that list. Going to a competitive showcase, instead of hiding after you commit, will help establish the pecking order. [/quote]

Buy Ty Xanders a burrito and a sundae and he will put your kid on the IL rankings. Mother of God, going to a showcase to improve where you land in the IL rankings racket? That is like keeping Bernie Madoff's number for when he gets out of jail to get back in touch a second time. If your kid is an early commit, well done. Do a few tournaments and call it a Summer in early July and go vacation. Go do something else, the kid earned it and is not going to be lesser the player for not being burned out to a crisp come college. Back in the day D1 college recruits played a little Summer ball and painted houses. Fall Ball was pick-up on a couple Sundays before the weather went bad, if that. They all played 3 HS sports.

Page 64 of 70 1 2 62 63 64 65 66 69 70

Link Copied to Clipboard