BOTC BOTC
The UnD1sputed Showcase (Boys & Girls) in June & the Girls LI Showcase is Open for Registration on CBLaxers.com - Don't Miss Out as 88 Players Only Accepted! | Invest for Growth - ADVERTISE with us!
BOTC GIRLS BOTC BOY BACK OF THE CAGE
BOTC GIRLS BOTC BOY MOST RECENT POSTS
Boys High School Lax
by Anonymous -
Girls High School Lax
by Anonymous -
BOTC GIRLS BOTC BOY Forum Statistics
Forums20
Topics3,802
Posts385,545
Members2,606
Most Online62,980
Feb 6th, 2020
BOTC GIRLS BOTC BOY FOLLOW US ON TWITTER
Previous Thread
Next Thread
New Reply
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
2026...where to start
Back of THE CAGE
OP Offline
Back of THE CAGE
So my son is in K-1 league for town now. He is older for his grade and will be in first grade next year turning 7 in Nov. While still learning, he appears to be a bit ahead of the other kids on his team. I am trying to drive him in the right direction while keeping him interested. He loves the game but is on the boarder of getting bored with the "baby" practices. Couple of questions I am looking for feedback on? Too early to move him up with older kids? He loves the tourney play, so what are thoughts on travel for next year. He will be in first grade, age 7 for next spring... Too early for Team 91, Express, LI Revolution, Igloo????

Like Reply Quote
BOTC GIRLS BOTC BOY BACK OF THE CAGE SPONSORS

Re: 2026...where to start
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
This is a joke right?

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
maybe he is ready to commit to D1, just a thought!

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
You'll make him hate it. Chill until
He's in 3rd grade

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Wow I feel like I made this 1st thread and forgot about it.Was in exact same situation and exact same birth month with my son. Being 7 in 1st is definitely a head start.I felt another year of clinic ball would have bored him. I played my son with the 2nd grade team this year and he was in the top 6. Next year he is not allowed to play up so he will be back with his grade and I think the confidence will help him out big time. I plan to put him in a local camp and possibly a second camp if he likes it for the summer. I think at this age that little extra knowledge and confidence he gained will go farther than playing travel ball and an getting too early of an exposure to the stress of making teams and winning tournaments. Reading through the threads here will open your eyes to a lot. Good luck

Like Reply Quote
BOTC GIRLS BOTC BOY Sponsored Links
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
My son is a 2035 player who has not been born yet but when he is should I let him play town or travel. I was thinking town for the first few years (of course I will hold him back) and make sure he is the best kid on the team. I was also thinking I will coach so I can play him at attack and find a few middies who control the game and make him look like a real superstar. I will have him shoot behind the back as well as through his legs, especially if we are winning by 15 or so. Then I will coach a famous "travel team" and again surround my son with stars and post his famous goals on you tube for all to see. He'll probably be recruited for Duke when he's in 7th grade although he will be 15 years old. That's my plan. You should think about doing the same thing

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Currently 91, express, and legacy have 1st graders on their 2nd grade teams. You should sign him up for PAL first to make sure he can hang and does not get out matched and want to quit. Look in your down for a 4x4 clinics this summer which normally half clinic half games so they do not get bored. What town are you from?

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Originally Posted by Laxdad2026
So my son is in K-1 league for town now. He is older for his grade and will be in first grade next year turning 7 in Nov. While still learning, he appears to be a bit ahead of the other kids on his team. I am trying to drive him in the right direction while keeping him interested. He loves the game but is on the boarder of getting bored with the "baby" practices. Couple of questions I am looking for feedback on? Too early to move him up with older kids? He loves the tourney play, so what are thoughts on travel for next year. He will be in first grade, age 7 for next spring... Too early for Team 91, Express, LI Revolution, Igloo????

If this isn't a joke, then let him have fun. Do skills and drills. Have him play a bunch of other sports at this age. Soccer, football, bball, anything he wants to try. I would wait on travel to at least 3 or 4th grade. My son's are older and didn't start travel until 7th grade and 5th grade. At that time 5th grade was considered nuts.

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Jupiter

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

Never too early. I would make a tape and send it to some 2nd grade coaches and shop him around. Right now focus is on school and other skills. Can he stay in lines when he colors? Does he know how to work the safety scissors? Is he alert after nap time? Can he tie his cleats by himself? These are things the schools are really looking for. And of course size and speed. It seems you have reclassed him once already. If not biggest, fastest kid on field, I would leave him back one more year at least!!

Like Reply Quote
BOTC GIRLS BOTC BOY Sponsored Links
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
You are a travel programs dream. Start travel now. Stop the 521 payments and transfer all that cash back into lacrosse. By the time he graduates out you will probably have about 35,000 - $40,000 invested into travel lacrosse. Then when the kid cant read or write you can send him to some over priced weak D3 academic school where they don't give athletic money. Enjoy your journey.

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

Please tell us all that this post is a joke...

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
HIRE AN SAT TUTOR NOW

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
lol my son was 5 in first grade, hysterical

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
My son is 6 mos old won't sleep through the night
if a Lax stick isn't in the crib know any good trainers

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
This is NO JOKE!, the 2026 is the new 2017! These parents need a plan. We all see where this sport is going and I admire the pro active parent who sees his son has talent. Try a team that has coaches with credentials and good parent reviews. Choose a team with a reputation for excellence like 91 (many others are good also). And keep it close to home. Mostly, stay positive with your son, practice with him EVERY DAY! He will be great!

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
People calm down. This idiot 2026 is obviously joking. If he's new to the lax scene and asking about what team to join , then how did he have the smarts to find BOTC. Mr 2026 please get a life.

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Originally Posted by Anonymous
This is NO JOKE!, the 2026 is the new 2017! These parents need a plan. We all see where this sport is going and I admire the pro active parent who sees his son has talent. Try a team that has coaches with credentials and good parent reviews. Choose a team with a reputation for excellence like 91 (many others are good also). And keep it close to home. Mostly, stay positive with your son, practice with him EVERY DAY! He will be great!

You understand he is 6 years old. It's hard to believe there are multiple idiots responding to this!!

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Don't think this is a joke. I have a 2024 and was definitely scoping things out last year.

My two cents.

Not many 2nd grade travel programs. Express, 91, legacy. The rest are 2nd/3rd mix. Would go to the tryouts thid fall they all have 2nd tryouts in winter/spring. Keep travel in perspective. It's more of a reward for working hard outside of the games. Clinics, practice more important.

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
My 12 month old said his first words yesterday... "roll dodge". I was so proud.

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
but does he use his left hand?

Like Reply Quote
Back of THE CAGE
OP Offline
Back of THE CAGE
Wow.... I now understand some of the trash that is attracted to this site. Unfortunately too immature to put their names to things. First off, thanks for all of the real advice to those who understood the question, as it would not have been a legitimate question if there were not 2nd grade options. I was simply asking as my son is losing interest in PAL because of not being able to play in a more structured environment. Has nothing to do with pushing him forward or college prep. He is 6.... and making sure he is having fun is my priority. While it is evident the obnoxious comments come from those parents who sit online and do not actually spend time with their children, I was guided to this website to gather some advice. Note to all those tunnel visioned idiots on this site, playing travel in 1st, 2nd grade soccer is not uncommon... Anyhow, the question was not a joke, and my son is not older in his grade for educational issues. (Secondly, for a grown adult to attack a child is completely unacceptable. You should seek therapy as there are clear mental issues...) But be proud my obnoxious posters ("My 5 year old is was in 1st grade..., pay for SAT tutor..., invest in 521. (BTW moron it is a 529)...), you are scouting sites of a 6 year old question. So you are either borderline pedophile, or somewhat disgruntled that at some point down the line you found out you need to live through the lives of your children.

Thanks to all of those who offered real advice. To those who are not in the same situation, please keep the comments coming... and put your name to it, as I would like to make sure you are on the national registry as you scout 6 year old children.

Like Reply Quote
Back of THE CAGE
OP Offline
Back of THE CAGE
Thanks for the insight.

Like Reply Quote
Back of THE CAGE
OP Offline
Back of THE CAGE
Much appreciated.

Like Reply Quote
Back of THE CAGE
OP Offline
Back of THE CAGE
There is a thing on the interweb called Google. Finding the site is easy. Understanding the politics and idiots on the site is something I am new to. Thanks for the introduction. Side note... I am hopefull you have a 6 year old, otherwise you are borderline pedophile for exploring topics of 6 year olds....

Like Reply Quote
Back of THE CAGE
OP Offline
Back of THE CAGE
Appreciate the advice.. Hence the question. He was inquiring because of what he saw at as we attended some of our older friends games. My concern is exactly what you voiced.

Like Reply Quote
Back of THE CAGE
OP Offline
Back of THE CAGE
If your 12 month old had his first words now, I am sorry to hear. Even worse that you failed as a father in the first 12 months to the point that he did not recognize that you were Dad... or dada.. Well done! Be proud.

Like Reply Quote
Back of THE CAGE
OP Offline
Back of THE CAGE
Great advice. Thanks.

Like Reply Quote
Back of THE CAGE
OP Offline
Back of THE CAGE
If your six year old is still in a crib you have failed as a parent.

Like Reply Quote
Back of THE CAGE
OP Offline
Back of THE CAGE
Send me your #. I have a therapist for you. Sounds as if you have some real childhood issues. Bring your parents... they are clearly the enablers.

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Laxdad2026 you just stooped to their level...be proud!!!

Like Reply Quote
Back of THE CAGE
OP Offline
Back of THE CAGE
Laxdad2026 you just stooped to their level...be proud!!!
you are right... this was a stupid rookie mistake.

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Here's an idea… LET YOUR SIX YEAR OLD learn to play AND learn the game AND respect the game. He's got plenty of time to be in the "travel mill"

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Here's an idea… LET YOUR SIX YEAR OLD learn to play AND learn the game AND respect the game. He's got plenty of time to be in the "travel mill"

Also remember the tourneys for the 6 year old wonder boy will be in 2/3 grade brackets. You kid had better be really good on the field and not just in drills because some 9 year old kid on a full third grade team is going to level him. Even a clean hit is going to have him running beck to mommy all because you don't want him to be in clinics getting better.

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Baby practices for K-1 Lacrosse? Step and offer your help to coach the team. Clearly you are over qualified and your head coach would appreciate the help. Ask to have your son play up next year. PAL and your program can allow it. Whether they do is up to your prodigy. Safety is #1 concern. Obviously this is your first son. Paying for travel for the next 10 years is too expensive and there are no pure 1st grade teams. Most tournaments and programs don't start until 3rd. I guarantee by high school nobody will care if he played club ball in Kindergarten.

Like Reply Quote
Back of THE CAGE
Back of THE CAGE
Kindergarten is way too young to start travel. Suffolk PAL cannot allow him to play up if there is an age appropriate team for him to play on in your own town. Most leagues have K-1 teams and most likely a combined 1/2 team. Helping to coach/teach the team at this age will benefit you, your son and the rest of the kids on the team. You will be able to push your son and drill him to his abilities while encouraging other boys to play to his level. Get him a lacrosse wall and work with him at home - much cheaper and a lot more beneficial for him. If he is still ahead of his peers in 3rd grade, by all means seek out an appropriate travel team for him but do your research before choosing a team. Travel is a commitment for the entire family and being that he is your oldest child, the rest of the family travels for practices and tournaments as well. Good luck to you and your son.

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Suffolk PAL will allow anyone to play up. Or just accept them on a roster. The program may not allow it. If so then just join a neighboring town that plays Nassau PAL. Everyone else does.

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Is that true about pal allowing anyone play up? Son is going up into 2nd and played very on the older team last year as did the other 1st grader we had. Was told they do not allow 2nd graders to play 3rd. Felt like it was because they wanted me to stay and coach the younger team. I prefer to stay with the mix we had and move up.

Second question on the travel teams does your tryout fee get deducted from your dues if you make team or does that just got into the pot?

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Is that true about pal allowing anyone play up? Son is going up into 2nd and played very on the older team last year as did the other 1st grader we had. Was told they do not allow 2nd graders to play 3rd. Felt like it was because they wanted me to stay and coach the younger team. I prefer to stay with the mix we had and move up.

Second question on the travel teams does your tryout fee get deducted from your dues if you make team or does that just got into the pot?

Nassau PAL didn't let first grade 2025 play at all in my Village and no playing up so we went to travel so he could play. Fees go in the pot and do not get deducted...but you get an extra Pinnie and shorts if you are lucky.

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
I'm a 2035 parent whose son played K-1 last year (first year) and again this year. Last year, once I saw he handled the pads and "contact" well, I was happy. then he started to slowly improve (for 6). I had him join a small PAL summer league with his town PAL team he was a part of. Still liked it. took time off and then end of fall signed him up for an 8 session 60 minute weekly clinic. he improved. Most of all had fun. I found another clinic. he improved but that clinic was not appropriate for a 6-year-old. We stopped it. This year he will do as ai mentioned, PAL, but I also found a program for the spring and summer to do concurrently. Its "travel" but mostly practices which are more necessary. My son will miss some of the "travel" since the first priority will be the town team with his friends. without playing with friends at this age, it's not fun. It needs to be fun. Find some sort of program where they actually coach, teach and develop as opposed to constant orders and whistle blowing. I'm sure that will come.

Like Reply Quote
Page 1 of 2 1 2
Quick Reply

Options
HTML is disabled
UBBCode is enabled
CAPTCHA Verification

Link Copied to Clipboard