Print Thread
Rate This Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
#66117 - 06/24/14 08:50 PM 2026...where to start  
Laxdad2026 Offline
Back of THE CAGE
Laxdad2026  Offline
Back of THE CAGE

So my son is in K-1 league for town now. He is older for his grade and will be in first grade next year turning 7 in Nov. While still learning, he appears to be a bit ahead of the other kids on his team. I am trying to drive him in the right direction while keeping him interested. He loves the game but is on the boarder of getting bored with the "baby" practices. Couple of questions I am looking for feedback on? Too early to move him up with older kids? He loves the tourney play, so what are thoughts on travel for next year. He will be in first grade, age 7 for next spring... Too early for Team 91, Express, LI Revolution, Igloo????

Top Reply Quote
BACK OF THE CAGE SPONSORS

#66127 - 06/24/14 10:09 PM Re: 2026...where to start [Re: Laxdad2026]  

**DONOTDELETE**
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered

This is a joke right?

Top Reply Quote
#66128 - 06/24/14 10:16 PM Re: 2026...where to start [Re: Laxdad2026]  

**DONOTDELETE**
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered

maybe he is ready to commit to D1, just a thought!

Top Reply Quote
#66130 - 06/24/14 10:33 PM Re: 2026...where to start [Re: Laxdad2026]  

**DONOTDELETE**
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered

You'll make him hate it. Chill until
He's in 3rd grade

Top Reply Quote
#66132 - 06/24/14 11:04 PM Re: 2026...where to start [Re: Laxdad2026]  

**DONOTDELETE**
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered

Wow I feel like I made this 1st thread and forgot about it.Was in exact same situation and exact same birth month with my son. Being 7 in 1st is definitely a head start.I felt another year of clinic ball would have bored him. I played my son with the 2nd grade team this year and he was in the top 6. Next year he is not allowed to play up so he will be back with his grade and I think the confidence will help him out big time. I plan to put him in a local camp and possibly a second camp if he likes it for the summer. I think at this age that little extra knowledge and confidence he gained will go farther than playing travel ball and an getting too early of an exposure to the stress of making teams and winning tournaments. Reading through the threads here will open your eyes to a lot. Good luck

Top Reply Quote
Sponsored Links
#66135 - 06/25/14 05:35 AM Re: 2026...where to start [Re: Anonymous]  

**DONOTDELETE**
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered

My son is a 2035 player who has not been born yet but when he is should I let him play town or travel. I was thinking town for the first few years (of course I will hold him back) and make sure he is the best kid on the team. I was also thinking I will coach so I can play him at attack and find a few middies who control the game and make him look like a real superstar. I will have him shoot behind the back as well as through his legs, especially if we are winning by 15 or so. Then I will coach a famous "travel team" and again surround my son with stars and post his famous goals on you tube for all to see. He'll probably be recruited for Duke when he's in 7th grade although he will be 15 years old. That's my plan. You should think about doing the same thing

Top Reply Quote
#66137 - 06/25/14 05:41 AM Re: 2026...where to start [Re: Laxdad2026]  

**DONOTDELETE**
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered

Currently 91, express, and legacy have 1st graders on their 2nd grade teams. You should sign him up for PAL first to make sure he can hang and does not get out matched and want to quit. Look in your down for a 4x4 clinics this summer which normally half clinic half games so they do not get bored. What town are you from?

Top Reply Quote
#66139 - 06/25/14 05:52 AM Re: 2026...where to start [Re: Laxdad2026]  

**DONOTDELETE**
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered

Originally Posted by Laxdad2026
So my son is in K-1 league for town now. He is older for his grade and will be in first grade next year turning 7 in Nov. While still learning, he appears to be a bit ahead of the other kids on his team. I am trying to drive him in the right direction while keeping him interested. He loves the game but is on the boarder of getting bored with the "baby" practices. Couple of questions I am looking for feedback on? Too early to move him up with older kids? He loves the tourney play, so what are thoughts on travel for next year. He will be in first grade, age 7 for next spring... Too early for Team 91, Express, LI Revolution, Igloo????

If this isn't a joke, then let him have fun. Do skills and drills. Have him play a bunch of other sports at this age. Soccer, football, bball, anything he wants to try. I would wait on travel to at least 3 or 4th grade. My son's are older and didn't start travel until 7th grade and 5th grade. At that time 5th grade was considered nuts.

Top Reply Quote
#66142 - 06/25/14 06:30 AM Re: 2026...where to start [Re: Anonymous]  

**DONOTDELETE**
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered

Jupiter

Top Reply Quote
#66143 - 06/25/14 06:42 AM Re: 2026...where to start [Re: Laxdad2026]  

**DONOTDELETE**
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered

Never too early. I would make a tape and send it to some 2nd grade coaches and shop him around. Right now focus is on school and other skills. Can he stay in lines when he colors? Does he know how to work the safety scissors? Is he alert after nap time? Can he tie his cleats by himself? These are things the schools are really looking for. And of course size and speed. It seems you have reclassed him once already. If not biggest, fastest kid on field, I would leave him back one more year at least!!

Top Reply Quote
Sponsored Links
#66147 - 06/25/14 06:59 AM Re: 2026...where to start [Re: Anonymous]  

**DONOTDELETE**
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered

You are a travel programs dream. Start travel now. Stop the 521 payments and transfer all that cash back into lacrosse. By the time he graduates out you will probably have about 35,000 - $40,000 invested into travel lacrosse. Then when the kid cant read or write you can send him to some over priced weak D3 academic school where they don't give athletic money. Enjoy your journey.

Top Reply Quote
#66154 - 06/25/14 07:41 AM Re: 2026...where to start [Re: Laxdad2026]  

**DONOTDELETE**
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered

Please tell us all that this post is a joke...

Top Reply Quote
#66193 - 06/25/14 11:20 AM Re: 2026...where to start [Re: Laxdad2026]  

**DONOTDELETE**
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered

HIRE AN SAT TUTOR NOW

Top Reply Quote
#66204 - 06/25/14 12:19 PM Re: 2026...where to start [Re: Laxdad2026]  

**DONOTDELETE**
Unregistered
Anonymous