BOTC BOTC
The UnD1sputed Showcase (Boys & Girls) in June & the Girls LI Showcase is Open for Registration on CBLaxers.com - Don't Miss Out as 88 Players Only Accepted! | Invest for Growth - ADVERTISE with us!
BOTC GIRLS BOTC BOY BACK OF THE CAGE
BOTC GIRLS BOTC BOY MOST RECENT POSTS
Girls High School Lax
by Anonymous -
BOTC GIRLS BOTC BOY Forum Statistics
Forums20
Topics3,802
Posts385,538
Members2,606
Most Online62,980
Feb 6th, 2020
BOTC GIRLS BOTC BOY FOLLOW US ON TWITTER
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 57 of 70 1 2 55 56 57 58 59 69 70
Re: Boys 2017 Fall 2013/Summer 2014
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Originally Posted by Anonymous

As a former college coach , not lacrosse, I feel that both perspectives have validity. When we were recruiting watching games we needed to know how the athlete played within a system, what kind of team player he was and how that athlete could contribute to a team. We found that multi sport team athletes had a higher sports iq then single sport athletes. An athlete that can play within a system is usually coachable also. The skills portion of individual workouts were important but has a great flaw. Many many times we saw athletes look like absolute stars when working through skills and drills. These were talented can't miss star type players. However, these same players just had no team iq and shrunk in a game. It was more frequent a player was a little less talentd in drills but a better game performer. It was no easy process and all coaches make mistakes. The one thing that always stood out was speed you can't teach it in any sport.

I'll agree with the speed assessment, definitely true. You couldn't be any more wrong on your other points. Multi-sport athletes are just that, multi-sport athletes. Kids that have different interests, that's it. If two kids are of the same talent, multi-sport has nothing to do with anything. It does not make the kid any better. All you need to do is look at the Thompsons... I assure you, no amount of football or basketball gave those kids the stick skills or lacrosse IQ they have. They had talent, and it was honed for years with constant practice and a love of the game. Hence, they won lacrosse's high honor. This fact is the final nail in the coffin of this silly notion about multi-sport athletes somehow being superior lacrosse players. Once again, no amount of football will give you the skills that these Thompsons have, period, end of story.
To dispute this or say otherwise is pure ignorance.

BOTC GIRLS BOTC BOY BACK OF THE CAGE SPONSORS

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Should also mention that Ty Xanders tweeting about busy weekend of kickoff lax...talks about Adrenaline but not Crabs...

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Due to the split between Adrenaline and NSCLA, their respective tournaments are both this weekend. EVERY D1 school of note will also be at NSCLA.

All really good teams will be at Crabfeast. We all know which games will get the most coaches on those sidelines.

I believe you are quite mistaken. All of the great teams are at adrenaline

Mesa fresh
Sweet lax
Turtles express
Laxachusetts
Dukes
West coast stars
True national black

Bring the crabs to this gauntlet. (Age appropriate, of course!)

This is a fascinating debate. Our kid will be at the Baltimore Summer Kickoff, which is not looking like a premier one like NECKS or Adrenaline although we were sold on it as premier. I will be very interested to hear how the coaches count goes at Adrenaline ad NSLCA. I get it that NSLCA has been the big one, but the list of 8 teams going to Adrenaline looks like the top one to me in terms of quality. Dukes, Turtles and WCS is a huge and other 5 are strong too. Adrenaline also lists the schools attending. The Baltimore one lists the ones that went last year. I hope that is not a beard for this year it will be lousy, but considering where most elite teams are this weekend I am not too bullish.

Is this the start of a big time showdown between Crabs/Tierney mafia and Adrenaline?

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

As a former college coach , not lacrosse, I feel that both perspectives have validity. When we were recruiting watching games we needed to know how the athlete played within a system, what kind of team player he was and how that athlete could contribute to a team. We found that multi sport team athletes had a higher sports iq then single sport athletes. An athlete that can play within a system is usually coachable also. The skills portion of individual workouts were important but has a great flaw. Many many times we saw athletes look like absolute stars when working through skills and drills. These were talented can't miss star type players. However, these same players just had no team iq and shrunk in a game. It was more frequent a player was a little less talentd in drills but a better game performer. It was no easy process and all coaches make mistakes. The one thing that always stood out was speed you can't teach it in any sport.

I'll agree with the speed assessment, definitely true. You couldn't be any more wrong on your other points. Multi-sport athletes are just that, multi-sport athletes. Kids that have different interests, that's it. If two kids are of the same talent, multi-sport has nothing to do with anything. It does not make the kid any better. All you need to do is look at the Thompsons... I assure you, no amount of football or basketball gave those kids the stick skills or lacrosse IQ they have. They had talent, and it was honed for years with constant practice and a love of the game. Hence, they won lacrosse's high honor. This fact is the final nail in the coffin of this silly notion about multi-sport athletes somehow being superior lacrosse players. Once again, no amount of football will give you the skills that these Thompsons have, period, end of story.

We were at the Suffolk Lax Awards last night. A very talented group, to say the least! At least 90% of the AA team were multi-sport athletes. Not ignorant, nor are those boys!

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Noone ever said guys playing basketball among D1 and NBA players at Rucker Park had high basketball IQ. What we are calling lacrosse IQ is basically game and situation experience. You get it by playing a lot, and kids in areas outside of LI and MD are playing lacrosse a lot now. In warmer climates, they are playing year round outdoors more than LI and MD kids possibly could. Kids get stick skills through a lot of practice, and kids who play a lot get them.

In Baltimore when someone says high lacrosse IQ I now think it is a crutch to find a positive when talking about a 5'7 140lb 16 year old prep school freshman whose dad played back in the day at some college. When parents of 2017s were playing this sport was so small in population that anyone who wanted to play college lacrosse could. If there is a kid who was born with a lacrosse IQ because dad played, I have not seen him yet.

BOTC GIRLS BOTC BOY Sponsored Links
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
I wonder how many of the best face off players were wrestlers? You ask any college lacrosse coach, or go to any recruiting seminar, like the one at 3D blue chip, they are looking for multiple player athletes, but no matter what I say you will say I am wrong and clueless, so keep having your boy train just for lax, I am sure you know more then everyone else, BTW google Fowler, great HS wrestler.

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Due to the split between Adrenaline and NSCLA, their respective tournaments are both this weekend. EVERY D1 school of note will also be at NSCLA.

All really good teams will be at Crabfeast. We all know which games will get the most coaches on those sidelines.

Mesa fresh
Sweet lax
Turtles express
Laxachusetts
Dukes
West coast stars
True national black

How many Turtles are committed D1 now? 2?

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
I wonder how many of the best face off players were wrestlers? You ask any college lacrosse coach, or go to any recruiting seminar, like the one at 3D blue chip, they are looking for multiple player athletes, but no matter what I say you will say I am wrong and clueless, so keep having your boy train just for lax, I am sure you know more then everyone else, BTW google Fowler, great HS wrestler.

I think the best face off guy alive is some high school wrestler who has not played lacrosse yet...that position is dominated by kids who are or could be great wrestlers. Face offs clamps are not a lacrosse stick skill and FOGOs don't need other stick skills.

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

Your last sentence exposes YOUR ignorance, but hey it's an entertaining post. Oh, and by the way, ask any college coach if they ask the kids or parents if they play another sport

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
How many Turtles are committed D1 now? 2? [/quote]

Our son went to a number of Ivy days and several of the Turtles kids are headed to Ivy schools and are not listed as commits. I hope your post does not imply the Turtles are less than best 2017 team because of a commits count. I think they are the best team and have seen them pick apart other 2017 teams with more commits. If # of commits was indicator of quality this board would be gushing over how great MadLax is.

BOTC GIRLS BOTC BOY Sponsored Links
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

Our son went to a number of Ivy days and several of the Turtles kids are headed to Ivy schools and are not listed as commits. I hope your post does not imply the Turtles are less than best 2017 team because of a commits count. I think they are the best team and have seen them pick apart other 2017 teams with more commits. If # of commits was indicator of quality this board would be gushing over how great MadLax is. [/quote] How many peck are in a bushel? Who cares

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

I think the best face off guy alive is some high school wrestler who has not played lacrosse yet...that position is dominated by kids who are or could be great wrestlers. Face offs clamps are not a lacrosse stick skill and FOGOs don't need other stick skills.

You are insane. Every player on the filed needs stick skill, speed and Lax IQ. Yes, I have a fogo who is also a better middie than most but happens to be exceptional at fogo...

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
You are insane. Every player on the filed needs stick skill, speed and Lax IQ. Yes, I have a fogo who is also a better middie than most but happens to be exceptional at fogo... [/quote]

You need stick skills and lacrosse IQ to face off ?!? Brendan Fowler has neither and he's the best at X in college game.

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

You are insane. Every player on the filed needs stick skill, speed and Lax IQ. Yes, I have a fogo who is also a better middie than most but happens to be exceptional at fogo...

Your an Idiot if you have a player who faces off and is a better middie than most and you force him to face off then get off.

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

Our son went to a number of Ivy days and several of the Turtles kids are headed to Ivy schools and are not listed as commits. I hope your post does not imply the Turtles are less than best 2017 team because of a commits count. I think they are the best team and have seen them pick apart other 2017 teams with more commits. If # of commits was indicator of quality this board would be gushing over how great MadLax is.
How many peck are in a bushel? Who cares [/quote]

To satisfy your curiosity; 3 former and 4 current and several unarmed ivy commits

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

Mesa fresh
Sweet lax
Turtles express
Laxachusetts
Dukes
West coast stars
True national black

D1 commits (I'm pretty sure this is correct)

6 turtles (and a few waiting on Ivy)
4 for Dukes
3 for 91

I assume Mesa & WCS have a few commits also.

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

How many peck are in a bushel? Who cares

To satisfy your curiosity; 3 former and 4 current and several unarmed ivy commits [/quote]

I am not trying to be a wise guy, I'm just curious because of the Turtles success. But one post says 6 D1 commits now you are saying 4 current. I don't think it matters how many former there are. Whats the correct number now? Thanks in advance.

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

How many peck are in a bushel? Who cares

To satisfy your curiosity; 3 former and 4 current and several unarmed ivy commits

I am not trying to be a wise guy, I'm just curious because of the Turtles success. But one post says 6 D1 commits now you are saying 4 current. I don't think it matters how many former there are. Whats the correct number now? Thanks in advance. [/quote]

Their website lists 2?

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

Not sure where I said the multi sport kid was better or even made that inference. You pick a very interesting example are you sure the thompsons played no other sports? Or how about kavanaugh from notre dame? How about miles from duke? What I wrote was fact about recruiting and the way many college coaches assess talent and potential. There is also a burnout factor in players who only play one sport. I speak frequently to my friends still coaching college sports and they continue to support what i saying. You can sit and think what you want and pick examples of great college players but how many of them played multi sports that made them better. Look at some of the great high school Long Island players and you will see an assortment of multi sport stars with a high team sport iq. We have all seen that player who looks like a star in practice and drills but come game time disappears. Does your son play just one sport? It would be a shame because one sport is so limiting athletically. All these kids should at least be trying or have tried other sports.

Honestly, to think that playing multi sports doesn't help an athlete develop skills is ignorant. There are many aspects of football, basketball, hockey and soccer that can translate well into overall lacrosse ability. Specifically stick skills no but athletic ability to run, dodge, take a hit and know how to fit into a team while being coached by different coaches are also great skills. I don't think I said one negative thing maybe that's the problem.

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

First of all, 3d also tells kids to repeat grades, so you might want to find a better reference than them. Second, I can name plenty of lax only guys who are also top players. I say the multi sport athletes are playing other sports because they want to, not because it makes them any better at lacrosse. If they like playing those other sports they should continue. To infer that those other sports will make them better at lacrosse is baseless. No study out there to back that notion up. It's nothing but a school of thought. How many inner city basketball D-1 recruits are playing other sports? Is coach Cal looking for multi-sport athletes? Doubtful. Those recruits are playing basketball all the time! How many top HS D1 recruits for Soccer, Swimming, Golf, Tennis and other sports are being recruited because they are multi-sport athletes? Not many I'm sure. But according to you, in order to play lacrosse you have to play football.
Here's something that will blow your mind. I know of two recruits, for top ACC schools. Both College coaches have told the recruits to STOP playing football. As in, DONT play anymore!!! So you keep pushing your kid out there in the fall, because YOU know better.

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

If face off get off guys have such great face off skills why do they get off? If your fogo is better than most middies the coach should be playing him or you should find a new team so the kid can play. To be specialized at the high school level and basically podgeonholed in one area really hurts development. What is the goal if the kid takes face offs then leaves the field in ninth grade? Especially that age wouldn't you want your best athletes and players on the field?

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

First of all, 3d also tells kids to repeat grades, so you might want to find a better reference than them. Second, I can name plenty of lax only guys who are also top players. I say the multi sport athletes are playing other sports because they want to, not because it makes them any better at lacrosse. If they like playing those other sports they should continue. To infer that those other sports will make them better at lacrosse is baseless. No study out there to back that notion up. It's nothing but a school of thought. How many inner city basketball D-1 recruits are playing other sports? Is coach Cal looking for multi-sport athletes? Doubtful. Those recruits are playing basketball all the time! How many top HS D1 recruits for Soccer, Swimming, Golf, Tennis and other sports are being recruited because they are multi-sport athletes? Not many I'm sure. But according to you, in order to play lacrosse you have to play football.
Here's something that will blow your mind. I know of two recruits, for top ACC schools. Both College coaches have told the recruits to STOP playing football. As in, DONT play anymore!!! So you keep pushing your kid out there in the fall, because YOU know better.

How many division one basketball players went on to play pro football in the nfl with great success ? Tony Gonzales , Antonio gates and jimmy graham to name a few.mhell Dave Winfield was drafted in three sports. It is not a baseless claim to make that playing more than one sport helps develop athletic skill. Who ever said lax only players weren't talented? I didn't read that anywhere. Playing other sports may not make them better lax players but it helps make them better athletes. You cannot compare inner city athletes to the suburban lacrosse player that is not a valid comparison because the opportunity is not there. College basketball is a completely different animal. It is the money maker for the NCAA where the tournament pays the entire NCAA budget for the year.

Wow my mind has been blown. A college coach advising a player to stop playing football where the risk of injury is high. I can't believe that even happens.

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

How many peck are in a bushel?

I am not trying to be a wise guy, I'm just curious because of the Turtles success. But one post says 6 D1 commits now you are saying 4 current. I don't think it matters how many former there are. Whats the correct number now? Thanks in advance.

Their website lists 2?

A friend of a friend of a friend who's cousin is friends with the brother of one of the turtles said 4...2hop 1unc 1fairfield

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
http://www.insidelacrosse.com/artic...f-lacrosse-s-hotbeds-and-geography/28964

Keeping in mind this is a current list of D1 players and not a percentage of kids currently in high school 2015 to 2017, look at the data. Baltimore and other Maryland declining. Right now, as many kids from California in D1 lacrosse as from Baltimore. Yes, I know California is a big place but now the data is already showing a shift that will never reverse. Non historical hotbeds have a share of the pie that is material and growing. I tip my cap to LI for having a high percentage that increased nominally in this snapshot, very impressive considering the growth of the game elsewhere.

Considering Maryland is repeat a grade territory more than anywhere else, maybe this data is also telling us that being a 16 year old freshman or 17 year old sophomore older and bigger than other 2017s is not the key to making D1 once it is all settled. Yes, I also know that kids repeat grades elsewhere like Philly but I cannot comprehend it being worse than here in Maryland. My son's 2017 team has only 4 legit aged freshman, my son included as one of them. It is repugnant, but the only thing that halts the crazy stuff is if the repeat kids wind up with same or worse results.

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Just curious on hie Duke wins and how Coach Danowski recruits. I guess he doesn't read this website because 38 of his 44 players were multi sport athletes lettering throughout high school or prep school in sports like football, soccer, basketball, track and hockey. I guess there is no correlation between becoming a better athlete by playing multiple sports. Somebody needs to tell the Duke coaches they are doing it all wrong. What they should be looking at is lacrosse only athletes.

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

A friend of a friend of a friend who's cousin is friends with the brother of one of the turtles said 4...2hop 1unc 1fairfield [/quote]

Not one Turtle is an early commit to OCC or Nassau Community College? Losers.

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Heard that team 91 is raiding the Terps Black. Large size of Terps Black team is what is causing the move.

Raiding? or are Black running?

Black are running. Plenty of options. Team 91 is pushing hard to convince the Express kids to join and the Parents are quite interested. This past year was not a healthy situation and it was entirely his doing

Please help me to understand this.

Terps roster is too big so some want to leave and go to 91?

How many will be on the 91 Roster if a bunch of Terps join the team?

We are to believe that the current 91 players and parents will be happy with a bunch of new players added to the team?

If the 91 parents think their kids are the best why would they welcome a bunch of players from Express?

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Heard that team 91 is raiding the Terps Black. Large size of Terps Black team is what is causing the move.

Black are running. Plenty of options. Team 91 is pushing hard to convince the Express kids to join and the Parents are quite interested. This past year was not a healthy situation and it was entirely his doing

We are to believe that the current 91 players and parents will be happy with a bunch of new players added to the team?

If the 91 parents think their kids are the best why would they welcome a bunch of players from Express?

Not sure about 91 taking Terps Black players, but i did hear a few of the Terps Black players are now with Turtles. Which makes sense, its all Express.

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Congratulations to the two LI 2017 boys and the one Philly 2017 boy who made the UA Underclass teams. That is about the most impressive accomplishment a rising sophomore could point to this Summer. It is an inspiration to our 2017 who will suit up for the Wash DC tryouts Monday and Tuesday night. To see that it is possible is a motivator.

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Congratulations to the two LI 2017 boys and the one Philly 2017 boy who made the UA Underclass teams. That is about the most impressive accomplishment a rising sophomore could point to this Summer. It is an inspiration to our 2017 who will suit up for the Wash DC tryouts Monday and Tuesday night. To see that it is possible is a motivator.

And both are age appropriate 2017 too!

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

Not sure about 91 taking Terps Black players, but i did hear a few of the Terps Black players are now with Turtles. Which makes sense, its all Express.

Precisely. But somehow there will be some sort of twist as there usually is. The fact is that express/turtles wanted to field an extremely competitive team and perhaps may have been down a few players. In any event with some orange (orange is the new black - couldn't resist) players it will continue to show dominance. It is my understanding that these borrowed players will also play with their orange team when there aren't any conflicts. Btw, orange remains a very strong team as well.

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

Precisely. But somehow there will be some sort of twist as there usually is. The fact is that express/turtles wanted to field an extremely competitive team and perhaps may have been down a few players. In any event with some orange (orange is the new black - couldn't resist) players it will continue to show dominance. It is my understanding that these borrowed players will also play with their orange team when there aren't any conflicts. Btw, orange remains a very strong team as well.

Orange is the new Black line was funny! Good one, I get the feeling that a couple of the, as you called them "borrowed" players (I'm sure their moms & dads like you saying that) won't be at any of the Orange stuff anymore. MC is telling you people that "they will play for both teams", hmmmmm.

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

Went to UA site, I don't see any 2017 player on the underclass team, I don't even see a roster for underclass team! I see a 2017 non committed team.

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

Went to UA site, I don't see any 2017 player on the underclass team, I don't even see a roster for underclass team! I see a 2017 non committed team.

Look at the roster for the uncommitted team and you will see almost all of the MD kids are 1 or 2 years older than a normal 2017. Then they brag about being on varsity as freshman when they should be sophomores!

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Ward Melville and Garden City defense are 2017

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

Look at the roster for the uncommitted team and you will see almost all of the MD kids are 1 or 2 years older than a normal 2017. Then they brag about being on varsity as freshman when they should be sophomores!

A) who cares?
B) who made you the birthday police and have you nothing better to do other than cypher spying? (Unless you work for NSA and in that case you have way more problems other than kids birthdays)
C) have you not been reading how most great lax schools fill their classes with typically older kids?

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
correction WM and Mount Sinai

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

Look at the roster for the uncommitted team and you will see almost all of the MD kids are 1 or 2 years older than a normal 2017. Then they brag about being on varsity as freshman when they should be sophomores! [/quote]

No 2017 made the UA underclass team. I think what you mean is the 2016 & 2015 kids are 12-12 years old for their grade which is right.

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Ward Melville and Garden City defense are 2017

I don't see GC. Only wm and mt Sinai. Both defenders

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

No 2017 made the UA underclass team. I think what you mean is the 2016 & 2015 kids are 12-12 years old for their grade which is right. [/quote]

Can't anyone read on this board??? Omg

Page 57 of 70 1 2 55 56 57 58 59 69 70

Link Copied to Clipboard